PDA

View Full Version : I just watched the Blues Brothers movie for the first time last night.

John_Wayne
12-16-2004, 08:17 AM
Someone was on crack when they filmed that movie.

Saulbadguy
12-16-2004, 08:18 AM
Calling Pezman...calling Pezman!

Cochise
12-16-2004, 08:19 AM
Hey, welcome to 1980.

ptlyon
12-16-2004, 08:19 AM
Hey, welcome to 1980.

Funny, that is what this season has felt like

Braincase
12-16-2004, 08:20 AM
You still have the hots for Henry Gibson, dontcha?

John_Wayne
12-16-2004, 08:25 AM
Hey, welcome to 1980.
Hey, some people still haven't seen Star Wars. Somehow I missed this one when I was a kid.

Honestly, I didn't watch any Blue Brothers type of movies as a kid. I've slowly picked them up in my adulthood. Most of those old comedies have lost their humor IMHO. I know they were gut-bustingly funny back then. But, the humor is mild at best now. Like Stripes, I didn't find it that funny. Caddyshack seemed silly too. Cannonball Run was humorous in a very, very, very juvenile way. But, I'm sure if I saw them when I was 12 or 15 years old when they were new in the theater, I would have thought that they were hillariously funny. I guess those movies need to be seen in their own context / era. :hmmm:

Stinger
12-16-2004, 08:26 AM

:harumph: You sir are so wrong I am not sure where to start. Now The BB 2 there is a movie that will have you scratching your eyes out.

John_Wayne
12-16-2004, 08:26 AM
I was surprised to see all of the old stars in that movie. I've never seen Twiggy in anything before. I was also surprised to see Carrie Fischer. She looked good in that movie! :p

morphius
12-16-2004, 08:27 AM
Actually, most likely on cocaine, but close enough.

But hey, have you seen the Boobah's on PBS recently, I'm not sure what level of hallucinogen those guys are taking, but daaaamn thats gotta be some good stuff.

John_Wayne
12-16-2004, 08:30 AM
:harumph: You sir are so wrong I am not sure where to start. Now The BB 2 there is a movie that will have you scratching your eyes out. :spock:

John_Wayne
12-16-2004, 08:30 AM
You still have the hots for Henry Gibson, dontcha? Who?

DenverChief
12-16-2004, 08:32 AM
:harumph: You sir are so wrong I am not sure where to start. Now The BB 2 there is a movie that will have you scratching your eyes out.I thought they were both pretty funny...love the original though:)

Stinger
12-16-2004, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by BrainCase
You still have the hots for Henry Gibson, dontcha?

ROFL ROFL

Radar Chief
12-16-2004, 08:33 AM
have you seen the Boobah's on PBS recently,

Never heard of it. :shrug:

Raiderhader
12-16-2004, 08:37 AM
Hey, some people still haven't seen Star Wars. Somehow I missed this one when I was a kid.

Honestly, I didn't watch any Blue Brothers type of movies as a kid. I've slowly picked them up in my adulthood. Most of those old comedies have lost their humor IMHO. I know they were gut-bustingly funny back then. But, the humor is mild at best now. Like Stripes, I didn't find it that funny. Caddyshack seemed silly too. Cannonball Run was humorous in a very, very, very juvenile way. But, I'm sure if I saw them when I was 12 or 15 years old when they were new in the theater, I would have thought that they were hillariously funny. I guess those movies need to be seen in their own context / era. :hmmm:

Heh heh heh. It wasn't enough to speak out against Blues Brothers, but he also had to do so with Stripes and Caddyshack. Someone is trying to become more unpopular than he already is....

morphius
12-16-2004, 08:39 AM
Never heard of it. :shrug:
Trust me, that isn't a bad thing.

ptlyon
12-16-2004, 08:40 AM
Heh heh heh. It wasn't enough to speak out against Blues Brothers, but he also had to do so with Stripes and Caddyshack. Someone is trying to become more unpopular than he already is....

Yeah - 3 of the classics. Probably lothes Animal House too.

John_Wayne
12-16-2004, 08:45 AM
Yeah - 3 of the classics. Probably lothes Animal House too. Sorry. I haven't seen Animal House yet. I'm sure it was funny in it's day. I'm not putting down ANY of these movies. I'm just saying they've lost their humor in 2004. I'm sure they were funny in the 80's when they were made. I'm just seeing it as it is. Maybe I'm right. Maybe not. :shrug:

John_Wayne
12-16-2004, 08:47 AM
My wife and I were in Branson and saw The Legends in Concert show. It had Marilyn Monroe, Elvis, Bing Crosby, Shania Twain and, of course, The Blues Brothers. It was a pretty good show. That's what instigated us picking up the movie to watch.

Saulbadguy
12-16-2004, 08:47 AM
So, Gunther_Fan..what recent movies have you found to be humerous?

shakesthecat
12-16-2004, 08:50 AM
My wife and I were in Branson

Well, that's all I need to know.

It's obvious that movies like BB's, Stripes, and Caddyshack are a little too edgy for you.

Maybe a nice Doris Day flick would be more to your liking.

John_Wayne
12-16-2004, 08:52 AM
Well, that's all I need to know.

It's obvious that movies like BB's, Stripes, and Caddyshack are a little too edgy for you.

Maybe a nice Doris Day flick would be more to your liking. Well, sometimes, as a good son and/or grandson, one must take Mom and Dad or G'ma and G'pa to Branson. It's like Muslims going to Mecca. It must be done at least once in a lifetime. Unfortunately, Mom and Dad as well as G'ma and G'pa love it there. I've been there several times now. You just have to learn to accept it and realize that we too will be old one day.

Saulbadguy
12-16-2004, 08:53 AM
Well, sometimes, as a good son and/or grandson, one must take Mom and Dad or G'ma and G'pa to Branson. It's like Muslims going to Mecca. It must be done at least once in a lifetime. Unfortunately, Mom and Dad as well as G'ma and G'pa love it there. I've been there several times now. You just have to learn to accept it and realize that we too will be old one day.
Branson sucks.

shakesthecat
12-16-2004, 08:57 AM
Well, sometimes, as a good son and/or grandson, one must take Mom and Dad or G'ma and G'pa to Branson. It's like Muslims going to Mecca. It must be done at least once in a lifetime. Unfortunately, Mom and Dad as well as G'ma and G'pa love it there. I've been there several times now. You just have to learn to accept it and realize that we too will be old one day.

Looks like I'll just have to accept being a bad son.
Besides, that's what chartered bus trips are for.

beavis
12-16-2004, 09:00 AM
Just sit them in front of the tv when Walker Texas Ranger is on. That'll make them forget all about Branson.

John_Wayne
12-16-2004, 09:06 AM
Just sit them in front of the tv when Walker Texas Ranger is on. That'll make them forget all about Branson. That is sooooooooo true!! ROFL

Uncle_Ted
12-16-2004, 09:43 AM
Considering my avatar, I feel obligated to post on this thread ... :)

With respect to a lot of these movies we are talking about, go back and watch them again, and really pay attention. You won't catch a lot of the humor with just one showing. What makes movies such as Animal House and Blues Brothers great movies is that there is so much packed in there -- the campiness, the inside jokes, the self-deprecation, the subtlety.

To give you a basis for comparison, think of Dave Chappelle's "Rick James" skit. Pretty much every line in the skit was funny, but you had to pay attention and get past the "I'm Rick James Bitch!", the slapping each other upside the head, the punching of Charlie Murphy with the "unity" ring, the grinding his feet on Eddie Murphy's couch -- those moments are so sweet that they almost drown out some of the more subtle but just as funny aspects of the skit.

morphius
12-16-2004, 09:46 AM
I still want to hear what movies gunfan thinks are funny...

Uncle_Ted
12-16-2004, 09:46 AM
Just sit them in front of the tv when Walker Texas Ranger is on. That'll make them forget all about Branson.

And Matlock! Don't forget Matlock!

BTW Beavis, who is that in your avatar? Is it Donald Malarkey by any chance?

ENDelt260
12-16-2004, 11:07 AM
I'm not sure that's actually possible.

I almost replied to that post... but, I realized my reply was going to start with, "You're an idiot," realized I was stating the obvious, and moved on.

ENDelt260
12-16-2004, 11:08 AM
So, Gunther_Fan..what recent movies have you found to be humerous?
Let's leave movies for a second... I bet G_F is a huge Marmaduke fan.

Saulbadguy
12-16-2004, 11:16 AM
Let's leave movies for a second... I bet G_F is a huge Marmaduke fan.
I think the poor sap has me on ignore.

|Zach|
12-16-2004, 11:20 AM
I think I kind of like the fact that GF does not like Stripes and Caddyshack. It gives so much for validation to how they funny they are. Not as though they needed it.

2bikemike
12-16-2004, 11:48 AM
I still want to hear what movies gunfan thinks are funny...

As do I.

KCTitus
12-16-2004, 11:53 AM
Simply amazing...Blues Brothers, Stripes, Caddyshack and Cannonball Run...not funny?!

Pezman
12-16-2004, 12:16 PM
Sacriligious!!!!!!!!!

John_Wayne
12-16-2004, 12:27 PM
Simply amazing...Blues Brothers, Stripes, Caddyshack and Cannonball Run...not funny?! I only said they aren't as funny now as they were then. They had to be seen and understood in their era and in the correct context. I don't doubt that they were uproariously funny back then. Run those movies in theaters today and they wouldn't get the same response. I'm not dissing them. I'm saying that it's too bad that I didn't see them in their era, in the correct context and when I was the optimum age for that type of movie.

Comedies I like:
Raising Arizona
O brother where art thou
Royal Tennenbaums (in a weird way)
Princess Bride
Seinfeld (I know it's not a movie)
I know there are many more. I can't think of any off the top of my head. If you name some, I'll tell you if I like them or not.

To be honest, I'm not a huge comedy movie fan. Some comedies I like. But I'd rather watch a drama or war movie anyday. Maybe that's part of what is influencing my opinion of the old "classic" comedy movies.

KCTitus
12-16-2004, 12:37 PM
I only said they aren't as funny now as they were then. They had to be seen and understood in their era and in the correct context.

To the contrary...I had occasion to watch Cannonball Run about a year ago and it was my first viewing since the time I saw it in the theatre. I found it funnier and was able to appreciate some additional context that I didnt appreciate at the time--since I was a dumb kid.

The fact that it was obvious that Martin was obviously drunk in every scene and some of the more subtle sexual innuendo was more apparent now than it was then and added to the viewing of the movie.

Sure, they're not great 'think pieces', because they are comedies. In this day and age of PC, one cannot make movies like that anymore.

John_Wayne
12-16-2004, 12:57 PM
To the contrary...I had occasion to watch Cannonball Run about a year ago and it was my first viewing since the time I saw it in the theatre. I found it funnier and was able to appreciate some additional context that I didnt appreciate at the time--since I was a dumb kid.

The fact that it was obvious that Martin was obviously drunk in every scene and some of the more subtle sexual innuendo was more apparent now than it was then and added to the viewing of the movie.

Sure, they're not great 'think pieces', because they are comedies. In this day and age of PC, one cannot make movies like that anymore.

I don't disagree. Good points.

Calcountry
12-16-2004, 01:06 PM
Happy 17th Birthday. :thumb:

beavis
12-16-2004, 08:49 PM
And Matlock! Don't forget Matlock!

BTW Beavis, who is that in your avatar? Is it Donald Malarkey by any chance?
TJ Cloutier. The greatest poker player of all time.

Raiderhader
12-16-2004, 08:56 PM
I'm not sure that's actually possible.

I almost replied to that post... but, I realized my reply was going to start with, "You're an idiot," realized I was stating the obvious, and moved on.

Never underestimate the power of stupidity.

KCJohnny
12-16-2004, 09:04 PM
Only a GEN-X bonehead could get nothing from the Blues Bros movie. Comedy and true American heritage art converged here in a vital depiction of uniquely American art forms such as Missisippi Delta/Chicago Blues pioneers and SNL comedians. This movie is ONLY lost on those who know nothing of the Civil Rghts impact of "Think" by Aretha Franklin and the influence of Ray Charles on ALL of American folk/jazz/pop music for the past 50 years.

The Blues Brothers is straight up hero worship of those cutting edge fold musicians that represent the perspective of the common man. YOU need to do a little studying, m'man....

|Zach|
12-16-2004, 09:04 PM
Do you have that assault rifle yet?

Jenson71
12-16-2004, 09:10 PM
Happy 17th Birthday. :thumb:

All my friends love The Blues Brothers, Caddyshack, Animal House.

morphius
12-16-2004, 09:32 PM
Only a GEN-X bonehead could get nothing from the Blues Bros movie. Comedy and true American heritage art converged here in a vital depiction of uniquely American art forms such as Missisippi Delta/Chicago Blues pioneers and SNL comedians. This movie is ONLY lost on those who know nothing of the Civil Rghts impact of "Think" by Aretha Franklin and the influence of Ray Charles on ALL of American folk/jazz/pop music for the past 50 years.

The Blues Brothers is straight up hero worship of those cutting edge fold musicians that represent the perspective of the common man. YOU need to do a little studying, m'man....
Ummm, are you sure he is an X'r and not a Y?

John_Wayne
12-16-2004, 09:47 PM

The Blues Brothers is straight up hero worship of those cutting edge fold musicians that represent the perspective of the common man. YOU need to do a little studying, m'man.... It's just a stupid movie, dude. It's not the fall of the Berlin wall. Jeesh!!