PDA

View Full Version : Comp Gurus: How do I know I'm using a relative hyperlink over an absolute one?

The Bad Guy
12-16-2004, 12:51 PM
My teacher is ridiculous and wants us to have relative hyperlinks in our power point presentation.

Only problem is he never explained the difference.

How do I make sure all my hyperlinks are relative in my presentation?

If anyone can help, I would appareciate it.

cron912
12-16-2004, 12:59 PM
My teacher is ridiculous and wants us to have relative hyperlinks in our power point presentation.

Only problem is he never explained the difference.

How do I make sure all my hyperlinks are relative in my presentation?

If anyone can help, I would appareciate it.

An absolute link is the full path of the link, for example http://www.chiefsplanet.com/index.html. A relative link is the path specified from the current location. So say the current location was http://www.chiefsplanet.com, then index.html would be a relative link.

Hope this helps.

Also, here (http://www.webpronews.com/ebusiness/seo/wpn-4-20040810AbsolutevsRelativeLinksWhichisBetterfortheSearchEngines.html) is a little info on the two.

Cochise
12-16-2004, 01:03 PM
Absolute is the full URL.

Saulbadguy
12-16-2004, 01:08 PM
Absolute is the full URL.

Lzen
12-16-2004, 01:15 PM
Oh, and since nobody else mentioned it, absolute is the full URL. ;)

The Bad Guy
12-16-2004, 01:17 PM
But what if it's a hyperlink that connects to something on my computer instead of the web?

Cochise
12-16-2004, 01:21 PM
But what if it's a hyperlink that connects to something on my computer instead of the web?

Then it would just say blah.xls or \spreadsheets\blah.xls.

The full path would be C:\foo\bar\spreadsheets\blah.xls

jcroft
12-16-2004, 01:24 PM
Relative means relative to the current directory. So, if you are on the page:

/powerpoint/project/firstpage.html

and you wanted to link to

/powerpoint/project/images/bigassgraphic.jpg

a relativle link would look like:

images/bigassgraphic.jpg

The Bad Guy
12-16-2004, 01:41 PM
Ok, I get it now. Instead of labeling the whole path, just make sure it's in the folder I'm burning onto a CD.

I have to make sure this is Mac and IBM compatible, how will I know it is? I don't have a Mac to try it on.

jcroft
12-16-2004, 01:46 PM
Ok, I get it now. Instead of labeling the whole path, just make sure it's in the folder I'm burning onto a CD.

I have to make sure this is Mac and IBM compatible, how will I know it is? I don't have a Mac to try it on.

PowerPoint is available on both platforms -- you should've had too much trouble with the comptability of your presentation.

However, you do need to make sure you are burning the disc in a format both can read...

The Bad Guy
12-16-2004, 01:47 PM
PowerPoint is available on both platforms -- you should've had too much trouble with the comptability of your presentation.

However, you do need to make sure you are burning the disc in a format both can read...

How can I ensure that?

Cochise
12-16-2004, 01:52 PM
I don't know anything about Macs, I only know about computers.

mikey23545
12-16-2004, 02:38 PM
I don't know anything about Macs, I only know about computers.

Oh my...Oh my...

ROFL