PDA

View Full Version : Will Shields, not Favre, is the one whose durability should be celebrated

PatsWin2002
12-16-2004, 01:28 PM
From PFW this afternoon:

http://profootballweekly.com/PFW/NFL/AFC/AFC+West/Kansas+City/Features/2004/modglin121604.htm

Forget Favre

Will Shields, not Favre, is the one whose durability should be celebrated
By Trent Modglin (tmodglin@pfwmedia.com)
Dec. 16, 2004

Forget Brett Favre. There, I said it. Yep. Forget him.

Don’t get me wrong, I appreciate everything he represents, respect him as much as any player. OK, don’t forget him. That was a little much. Forget his streak. Yeah, that’s it. Forget his streak of starting 202 straight games.

It’s nice, yes. Quite a feat, I concur. But it’s not even close to the most impressive such streak in the league. Can’t hold a candle to Will Shields, who has played his offensive guard position for one team, the Chiefs, for 188 consecutive games.

Brett Favre crosses the 200-game plateau on “Monday Night Football” on Nov. 29, and you would’ve thought No. 4 could make blind men see, the crippled walk and Michael Irvin and Terry Bradshaw grow silent the way people gush over his durability.

And yet how much limelight, how much gusto, do you think Will Shields has gotten while battling and grinding in the trenches nearly every game for the past 12 years? Try four sentences in the Chiefs’ weekly press release, a little something in his media guide bio and not much else. His incredible accomplishment is virtually shrouded in darkness. Most linemen prefer it that way. But I’m here to give the nine-time Pro Bowler his pub. He’s deserving, I think.

“Well, there’s no question there’s a difference (between Favre and Shields), and that’s just the nature of the two different positions,” said ESPN analyst Mark Schlereth, himself a guard for the Redskins and Broncos for 12 years. “Brett Favre is a guy that you see and who handles the ball on every play, whether he’s handing it off or whether he’s chucking it. Quarterbacks get a lot of recognition, and deservedly so. I mean, those guys sell a lot of tickets in this league, and the grunts likes us that play up front don’t.”

If Favre’s thumb is sore, it’s a front-page story in every newspaper from Oshkosh to Oahu. Schlereth can’t even wear his three Super Bowl rings, because they were fitted during his playing days, when his hands were swollen and bruised 12 months a year and off-limits to his kids when they wanted dad to play. Schlereth says he has lost around 70 pounds since he retired in 2000, and, perhaps only half-joking, estimates 20 of it was in his hands.

When I talk to linemen after a game, I hesitate even shaking their hands upon introduction because I know they’re wincing inside. I see how long it takes Hall of Fame Bears DL Dan Hampton to get up off the couch and can’t help but notice the mangled digits on his hands.

There are times where Favre has gone through a game with nary a grass stain on his jersey. Many times he barely gets hit. Green Bay has given up 11 sacks in 13 games this year. Shields, an athletic marvel at 6-3 and 315 pounds, hits at least one person, usually of similar size, with every ounce of energy that he can muster, on every play. The “big uglies” grab, they clutch, they collide, they catch an elbow in the neck, they get their ankles rolled up on, they get piled up on, and it’s painful to watch them pick themselves up off the turf and do it all over again. Injuries are the norm. Schlereth’s left knee, by itself, was operated on 15 times. His right knee failed to pick up the slack. It was cut open only a handful of times.

Schlereth dubbed something he calls the “dueling pain theory.” Kinda like dueling pianos, but a bit more uncomfortable. Basically, you’d go into a game with an ailing knee, one that certainly needs surgery, but that would mean missing time in the stretch run. Then, during the course of that game, you wrench your back. Next thing you know, you’re in rehab on Tuesday and Wednesday trying to get the back to a point where you can get out to practice with your teammates to prepare for the next game. The good news is you tend to forget how bad your knee hurts because the throbbing in your back now takes precedence in the dueling pain theory.

Shields laughs at Schlereth’s deduction, knows exactly where he’s coming from. You don’t have to be healthy on Sunday, just functional. It’s common for most ailments to not even be mentioned. As Shields says, you basically pick the worst of the poison for a trainer to work on for a given week.

You have those days where you feel better than others during the week. It all depends on what you did in the game. Usually, the adrenaline left over from Sunday begins to wear off by late Monday, and Tuesday and Wednesday mornings can be pure hell. But you have to get up, get moving, get the blood flowing, work the kinks out. Shields prefers a workout in the morning, then a splash in the hot tub, a little treatment from the trainers if necessary before meetings and then probably back in the hot tub before practice to warm up again. A massage is a must once a week. The whole body maintenance thing takes a lot of time. Your Mondays and Tuesdays are usually spent trying to get well for Wednesday’s practice. As the season wears on, Shields finds himself heading off to bed a little earlier with each passing week. His three kids don’t always make that an easy task.

Schlereth wants to clear up one more misconception. People don’t give credit where credit is due when it comes to the offensive line. There’s more to it than meets the eye. “You look at a guy like Will Shields, and you see a big lumbering yeti from the mountains who just stands in front of people and hits them,” said Schlereth, who operates an instructional Web site called olineskills.com. “But the guy is a supreme athlete. I’ll put him, man for man, as good as any athlete in the NFL at 300 pounds. … When you play that position, you have a bad knee, you have a busted-up ankle, you have an elbow that hurts so much you can barely stick your hand on the ground in a stance. It takes an incredible amount of skill to play that position with footwork, with hand placement and all the things you have to do. And to be able to continue to work those skills and continue to have success when parts of your body you use to hone that craft aren’t functioning right is phenomenal.”

I ask Shields whenever this streak ends, whether it’s five games or five years, what it is that’s going to stick out most in his mind when he looks back at all of it. He doesn’t ponder the question long. It’s those weeks when you’re not sure if you’re going to make it out there on Sunday but you do anyway, because you can’t imagine the empty feeling of not doing it.

“You know, those weeks where you basically have the choice of whether you’re going to try to play through it or not,” Shields said. “And more or less, the guys that you play with and all the other guys, you’re trying not to let (them) down. You want to be accountable for your job and what you’re supposed to do. Those things sort of push you to do things that maybe you wouldn’t have done if you were doing something on your own.”

So what’s hurting now, I wonder, for a future Hall of Famer who scouts say is still playing at a very high level. Entering Week 15 of a season of bumps and bruises on top of scrapes and cuts, after 188 straight starts, a streak that has his young linemates kidding him about being in middle school when it started, where does it hurt?

“Oh, everything hurts,” he says laughing. “It’s one of those continuous things. But it’s what you do, and it’s what you love.”

Like I said. Forget Favre’s streak. Here’s your guy to celebrate.

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-16-2004, 01:31 PM
:clap: :clap: :clap:

Pitt Gorilla
12-16-2004, 01:38 PM
Great read. :thumb:

KingPriest2
12-16-2004, 01:40 PM
As much as I like Shields, Favre's streak is more impressive.

He talks about hands. Well if Will broke his right hand or fingers he could still play. If Favre has then he is out. A linemen can play thru more injuries then a QB. Also a QB does get hit and hit hard. Almost always by someone way bigger then him. A linemen doesn't get hit. Think about.

Pitt Gorilla
12-16-2004, 01:45 PM

He talks about hands. Well if Will broke his right hand or fingers he could still play. If Favre has then he is out. A linemen can play thru more injuries then a QB. Also a QB does get hit and hit hard. Almost always by someone way bigger then him. A linemen doesn't get hit. Think about.A lineman doesn't get hit? It's now abundantly clear that you've never played the game.

KingPriest2
12-16-2004, 01:48 PM
A lineman doesn't get hit? It's now abundantly clear that you've never played the game.

I should have explained that better. The QB gets hit harder and from the backside. Yes a linemen gets hit but he is prepared for it. He is blocking. It is usually head to head.

And yes I have played the game. I also have played on the line.

Rausch
12-16-2004, 01:52 PM
Shields is a first ballot HOF'er...

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-16-2004, 01:54 PM
A linemen doesn't get hit. Think about.
:hmmm: I'm thinking about it.............

A lineman doesn't get hit................yea...except for ON EVERY PLAY!

:rolleyes:

KCTitus
12-16-2004, 01:55 PM
The QB's might as well be wearing skirts in todays NFL...

Get shoved after a play, 15 yards.

KingPriest2
12-16-2004, 01:56 PM
:hmmm: I'm thinking about it.............

A lineman doesn't get hit................yea...except for ON EVERY PLAY!

I explained that it is usually head to head and not as violent as when a QB gets hit.

KCFalcon59
12-16-2004, 01:57 PM
It's been a pleasure to watch Shields. HOF. No doubt about it.

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-16-2004, 01:57 PM
I explained that it is usually head to head and not as violent as when a QB gets hit.
I saw that. I just don't totally agree. It's not a judgement on you though.

:)

Chiefnj
12-16-2004, 01:58 PM
I should have explained that better. The QB gets hit harder and from the backside. Yes a linemen gets hit but he is prepared for it. He is blocking. It is usually head to head.

And yes I have played the game. I also have played on the line.

QB's rarely get hit hard in todays NFL. Not below the knee, Not above the shoulder, not for a millisecond after the ball has been released. Linemen get hit high, low and illegally very often, especially against the Broncos.

KCTitus
12-16-2004, 02:08 PM
QB's rarely get hit hard in todays NFL. Not below the knee, Not above the shoulder, not for a millisecond after the ball has been released. Linemen get hit high, low and illegally very often, especially against the Broncos.

Very good point, which I failed to note...

Shields streak is even greater considering that he's had to play 2 games per annum against the Broncos cut blocking schemes.

KingPriest2
12-16-2004, 02:12 PM
Very good point, which I failed to note...

Shields streak is even greater considering that he's had to play 2 games per annum against the Broncos cut blocking schemes.

They talk about Denver's OFFENSESIVE players doing that not their DEfensive players.

KingPriest2
12-16-2004, 02:13 PM

I can tell you don't watch much football. QB's rarely get hit hard?

KCTitus
12-16-2004, 02:14 PM
They talk about Denver's OFFENESIVE players doing that not their DEfensive players.

You're right...I saw Broncos and the first thing that popped in my head was their cut blocking, got excited and posted prematurely.

Coogs
12-16-2004, 02:34 PM
I can tell you don't watch much football.

Is this true nj? Dang, I always thought of you as one of the more knowledgeable football posters on this BB. Now I find out it is "easy to tell you don't watch much football"! :sulk:

:D

Ultra Peanut
12-16-2004, 02:40 PM
This article, plus the inclusion of DeAngelo Williams in their first-team college All-American selections, has made my opinion of PFW go up dramatically. :D

InChiefsHell
12-16-2004, 02:52 PM
Favre and Shields are both the definition of warriors...but since Shields weighs more and goes through a constant meat grinder play after play, week after week, year after year, I'd give the edge to him. He can still move fast and lead block when he needs to. And he never got adicted to pain meds, far as I know...

...plus he's a Chief and a former Husker, which trumps all other comers, as far as I'm concerned...

ENDelt260
12-16-2004, 02:56 PM
A linemen doesn't get hit.

You're an idiot.

Chiefnj
12-16-2004, 03:08 PM
Is this true nj? Dang, I always thought of you as one of the more knowledgeable football posters on this BB. Now I find out it is "easy to tell you don't watch much football"! :sulk:

It's true. I don't watch much football. But I've seen enough this season to see Dante Hall get lit up by Lynch, Blaylock get creamed two weeks ago and other similar hits on receivers and HBs to know that they get hit much, much more, and 99% of the time harder than a QB does. A defensive players helmet can't touch a QB first, he can only get hit from the thighs to the shoulders, if he runs at all and begins to duck - he is off limits, etc. The league wants to protect starting QBs so scores are higher; it's not a secret.

Coogs
12-16-2004, 03:11 PM
It's true.

You sure know your stuff on the college guys for not watching much.

Chiefnj
12-16-2004, 03:13 PM
You sure know your stuff on the college guys for not watching much.

I just take good notes when Voyager speaks.

Coogs
12-16-2004, 03:15 PM
I just take good notes when Voyager speaks.

That explains it.

KingPriest2
12-16-2004, 03:19 PM
You're an idiot.

You are blind.

Straight, No Chaser
12-16-2004, 03:19 PM
This article, plus the inclusion of DeAngelo Williams in their first-team college All-American selections, has made my opinion of PFW go up dramatically. :D

Definately. As long as they stick to the human interest writes the big guys ignore --it's the uniformed, meaningless heresay stuff they push that's annoying.

--->

KingPriest2
12-16-2004, 03:21 PM
It's true. I don't watch much football. But I've seen enough this season to see Dante Hall get lit up by Lynch, Blaylock get creamed two weeks ago and other similar hits on receivers and HBs to know that they get hit much, much more, and 99% of the time harder than a QB does. A defensive players helmet can't touch a QB first, he can only get hit from the thighs to the shoulders, if he runs at all and begins to duck - he is off limits, etc. The league wants to protect starting QBs so scores are higher; it's not a secret.

You say they can't be hit like that but it does happen. We are not talking about WRs and RBs. We are talking about QBs and linemen.

PatsWin2002
12-16-2004, 03:22 PM
A good question might be:

Which feat is most likely to be duplicated?

Tough call.

Chiefnj
12-16-2004, 03:23 PM
Definately. As long as they stick to the human interest writes the big guys ignore --it's the uniformed, meaningless heresay stuff they push that's annoying.

--->

I think people confuse profootballweekly and profootballtalk.

PFW has always been decent. Their draft guy/writer (who died about a year ago) was one of the better scouts that I've read.

InChiefsHell
12-16-2004, 03:23 PM
Well, I think Shields' feet are bigger, so...

Sure-Oz
12-16-2004, 03:25 PM
Agreed those lineman take a major beating.

Chiefnj
12-16-2004, 03:27 PM
You say they can't be hit like that but it does happen. We are not talking about WRs and RBs. We are talking about QBs and linemen.

Linemen are involved in violent collisions on every snap. A QB gets sacked probably, on average, 2 times a game most of which he is prepared for. QB's have many rules on the books protecting them from contact and the refs aren't shy from calling legal hits illegal hits these days - see Monday nights game where LaBoy pulled up and his forearm hits Green in the shoulder and he is called for a hit to the head.

ENDelt260
12-16-2004, 03:31 PM
You are blind.
As evidenced by my inability to see linemen involved in violent collisions on every down?

Oh, wait... that was you.

KingPriest2
12-16-2004, 03:31 PM
Linemen are involved in violent collisions on every snap. A QB gets sacked probably, on average, 2 times a game most of which he is prepared for. QB's have many rules on the books protecting them from contact and the refs aren't shy from calling legal hits illegal hits these days - see Monday nights game where LaBoy pulled up and his forearm hits Green in the shoulder and he is called for a hit to the head.

Yeah there are rules but that does not mean a QB does not get hit. I could go back and show you many hits a QB takes and they don't call a penalty. A hit on a QB is more violent then a linemen blocking.

KingPriest2
12-16-2004, 03:33 PM
As evidenced by my inability to see linemen involved in violent collisions on every down?

Oh, wait... that was you.

NO you are blind and a idiot not to read the entire thread

For example post #6

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla
A lineman doesn't get hit? It's now abundantly clear that you've never played the game.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ENDelt260
12-16-2004, 03:36 PM
Yes, I read your backpedalling.

a) You're still an idiot (just, in general)
b) You're still trying to downplay the physicality of the lineman vs. that of a QB.

KingPriest2
12-16-2004, 03:38 PM
Yes, I read your backpedalling.

a) You're still an idiot (just, in general)
b) You're still trying to downplay the physicality of the lineman vs. that of a QB.

Backpedaling?

A. ROFL
B. Bullshit.

Duck Dog
12-16-2004, 03:50 PM
“You know, those weeks where you basically have the choice of whether you’re going to try to play through it or not,” Shields said. “And more or less, the guys that you play with and all the other guys, you’re trying not to let (them) down. You want to be accountable for your job and what you’re supposed to do. Those things sort of push you to do things that maybe you wouldn’t have done if you were doing something on your own.”

Inspiring.

Duck Dog
12-16-2004, 03:56 PM

He talks about hands. Well if Will broke his right hand or fingers he could still play. If Favre has then he is out. A linemen can play thru more injuries then a QB. Also a QB does get hit and hit hard. Almost always by someone way bigger then him. A linemen doesn't get hit. Think about.

That's gotta be the dumbest remark I've read on a football website.

How often are QB's blindsided? How many snaps a game are QB's lambasted from behind?

Now, how many times do OL and DL slam into each other a game?

Exactly what would you call 2 300+ lb monsters colliding on every snap of every game?

The article pointed out that Favre has only been sacked 11 times in 13 games. Are you telling me Shields has only made monster contact 10 times in 13 games?

SNR
12-16-2004, 04:00 PM
I would say it's more likely to get a serious injury if you are a lineman than a QB.

Therefore, Shields's streak is more impressive.

KingPriest2
12-16-2004, 04:03 PM

That's gotta be the dumbest remark I've read on a football website.

How often are QB's blindsided? How many snaps a game are QB's lambasted from behind?

Now, how many times do OL and DL slam into each other a game?

Exactly what would you call 2 300+ lb monsters colliding on every snap of every game?

The article pointed out that Favre has only been sacked 11 times in 13 games. Are you telling me Shields has only made monster contact 10 times in 13 games?

Please see post #6

Yeah he prob was sacked 11 times but that does not mean that he has not been hit. What do you call a 300 pounder hitting a QB?

KingPriest2
12-16-2004, 04:04 PM
I would say it's more likely to get a serious injury if you are a lineman than a QB.

Therefore, Shields's streak is more impressive.

But can a QB throw with a broken throwing hand? A lineman can play with that type of injury.

KingPriest2
12-16-2004, 04:13 PM
Favre, by the numbers

Here’s where Packers quarterback Brett Favre ranks on several of the National Football League’s all-time lists:

Most consecutive starts by a QB:

200* Brett Favre, Green Bay, 1992-2004

116 Ron Jaworski, Philadelphia, 1977-84

107 Peyton Manning, Indianapolis, 1998-2004

107 Joe Ferguson, Buffalo, 1977-84

Most consecutive starts by any position:

270 Jim Marshall (DE) Minnesota, 1961-1979

240 Mick Tingelhoff (C) Minnesota, 1967-78

229 Bruce Matthews (OL) Houston/Tenn., 1988-2001

210 Fred Cox (K) Minnesota, 1963-77

210 Jim Otto (C) Oakland, 1960-74

207 Gene Upshaw (G) Oakland, 1967-81

202 Randall McDaniel (G) Minn./Tampa Bay, 1989-2001

201 Kendall Gammon (LS) Pittsburgh/New Orleans/Kansas City, 1992-2004

200* Brett Favre (QB) Green Bay, 1992-2004

* Includes Monday’s game against St. Louis

Key: DE-defensive end; C-center; OL-offensive lineman; K-kicker; G-guard; QB-quarterback; LS-long snapper

Hmm more lineman on the list then QBs.

Hmm not too many QBs with long starts

Duck Dog
12-16-2004, 04:15 PM
Please see post #6

Yeah he prob was sacked 11 times but that does not mean that he has not been hit. What do you call a 300 pounder hitting a QB?

You're missing the point.

How many times a year are QB's hit by 300 lbers?

ENDelt260
12-16-2004, 04:16 PM
Well, I'm convinced. O-linemen are pussies.

Duck Dog
12-16-2004, 04:20 PM
Hmm more lineman on the list then QBs.

Hmm not too many QBs with long starts

Again, you've missed the point. The reason Lineman are on that list is attributed to;

1. their toughness
2. they don't sit when they break a finger

You don't see QB's on that list because they do sit when they suffer the smallest of injuries. Lineman have to play through the same injuries as QB's.

No one is saying Favre isn't a stud, but denying that linemen don't get hit is beyond comprehension.

KingPriest2
12-16-2004, 04:22 PM
You're missing the point.

How many times a year are QB's hit by 300 lbers?

They do get hit quite a bit.

Also you are missing the point. I bet if you go thru you could find alot of lineman with stats similar to Shields. 125 games and on up. You can find only 1 QB and that is Favre. Gruhard started 170? games in a row.

Another thing How many teams have stuck with 1 QB as long as Favre? It is not just the injuries. Poor play comes into the equation as well. Look at the Raiders. Go thru all the teams. Look at the Giants.

Look at Kurt Warner. Injuries to the hand and benched due to poor play.

It is not just the injuries.

What's also amazing is what Favre has accomplished simply by showing up to work every day. The Bears may turn to Chad Hutchinson next week. He would be their 15th starting quarterback in the last decade. Baltimore is on its 13th starter while Washington is on starter No. 12. Since Favre's streak started, the other 31 teams have gone through 178 starters. Eleven of his backups have gone on to starting gigs.

KingPriest2
12-16-2004, 04:23 PM
Again, you've missed the point. The reason Lineman are on that list is attributed to;

1. their toughness
2. they don't sit when they break a finger

You don't see QB's on that list because they do sit when they suffer the smallest of injuries. Lineman have to play through the same injuries as QB's.

No one is saying Favre isn't a stud, but denying that linemen don't get hit is beyond comprehension.

You see you are saying the same thing as me. The linemen can play thru that when a QB can't. Such as a broken bone in the hand. They can't throw the ball.

KingPriest2
12-16-2004, 04:24 PM
Well, I'm convinced. O-linemen are pussies.

Don't be a dumbass.

ENDelt260
12-16-2004, 04:25 PM
Don't be a dumbass.
Just trying to fit in.

Duck Dog
12-16-2004, 04:25 PM
They do get hit quite a bit.

Also you are missing the point. I bet if you go thru you could find alot of lineman with stats similar to Shields. 125 games and on up. You can find only 1 QB and that is Favre. Gruhard started 170? games in a row.

Another thing How many teams have stuck with 1 QB as long as Favre? It is not just the injuries. Poor play comes into the equation as well. Look at the Raiders. Go thru all the teams. Look at the Giants.

Look at Kurt Warner. Injuries to the hand and benched due to poor play.

It is not just the injuries.

No one is denying Favre is stud. I've said that already.

When you find a stat that proves your point that QB's get hit and Lineman don't, I'll concede.

KingPriest2
12-16-2004, 04:27 PM
No one is denying Favre is stud. I've said that already.

When you find a stat that proves your point that QB's get hit and Lineman don't, I'll concede.

I said they do. See post 6

Valiant
12-16-2004, 06:03 PM
Yeah there are rules but that does not mean a QB does not get hit. I could go back and show you many hits a QB takes and they don't call a penalty. A hit on a QB is more violent then a linemen blocking.

i am sorry but bullshit... you have never played oline, so you do not have a clue... the linemans hands arms are almost always wrapped, them suckers punch and swing into each others faces every play... how many QB's have bloody faces at the end of the game... Lineman take bigger hits more often then anybody else on the field.. Lineman get hit for 60-70 plays a game from mulitple people...

A Qb might take one vicious hit a game on average for the entire NFL.. Offensive lineman pulling and getting laid out by linebackers happens at least 10 times a game..

Saying that a Qb gets hit more and harder just shows you have never played the position in your life...

Valiant
12-16-2004, 06:04 PM
But can a QB throw with a broken throwing hand? A lineman can play with that type of injury.

yes, many QB play with broken digits...

FloridaChief
12-16-2004, 06:08 PM
So far I think King Priest2 is coming off really well in this thread...

Wow. Just...

KingPriest2
12-16-2004, 06:50 PM
i am sorry but bullshit... you have never played oline, so you do not have a clue... the linemans hands arms are almost always wrapped, them suckers punch and swing into each others faces every play... how many QB's have bloody faces at the end of the game... Lineman take bigger hits more often then anybody else on the field.. Lineman get hit for 60-70 plays a game from mulitple people...

A Qb might take one vicious hit a game on average for the entire NFL.. Offensive lineman pulling and getting laid out by linebackers happens at least 10 times a game..

Saying that a Qb gets hit more and harder just shows you have never played the position in your life...

Bullshit? You don't know me so how do would you know. I know there arms are always taped. I have been saying that.

One vicious hit a game?

A QB does get hit harder.

KingPriest2
12-16-2004, 06:51 PM
yes, many QB play with broken digits...

On their other hand. Not their throwing hand. Not many.

Valiant
12-16-2004, 07:40 PM
Bullshit? You don't know me so how do would you know. I know there arms are always taped. I have been saying that.

One vicious hit a game?

A QB does get hit harder.

Tell you what we will test this...

I will let some 300lb ****er blindside me twice, and tackle about 10 other times, and i get to punch you about 80-110 times in the face/arms/legs/nuts...

then we will see who hurts worse...

--------------------------------------

There are tough QB's but there is no comparison of the agony that lineman go thru, they have to play threw injuries or they are released.. QB's are the money makers, the spotlight is always on them... A QB can get away with being injured with the money they pay them...

As for knowing you, anybody that has played organized football would know how much more brutal the line play is...Hell my favorite move is jabbing my fingers in to OLInes throats.. You do not see QB's get bitten.. It is a rarity to see a QB get punished like the pansies they are.. That happens every down with Lineman...