PDA

View Full Version : Happy Horses?

Otter
12-16-2004, 03:08 PM
My girl’s parents have horses at their house and I’m having trouble bonding with them.

How do you know if a horse is happy?

Dogs I get. Their tails are wagging, running around and picking up stuff they want you to throw to them and jumping up and down.

Horses are so stoic, feed them a carrot, take them for a walk…they have the same look on their face as if they were standing in a 10x10 stall.

To the glue factory I say. :cuss:

Calcountry
12-16-2004, 03:10 PM
My girl’s parents have horses at their house and I’m having trouble bonding with them.

Dogs I get. Their tails are wagging, running around and picking up stuff they want you to throw to them and jumping up and down.

Horses are so stoic, feed them a carrot, take them for a walk…they have the same look on their face as if they were standing in a 10x10 stall.

To the glue factory I say. :cuss:
If they are not making a loud neeeighghhg noise and raring back on their hind feet striking at you with their front feet, then you are on first base. :p

NewChief
12-16-2004, 03:10 PM
Try sugar cubes and a currying brush.

Or...

Forget the horses. It's your own happiness you should worry about. Feed them peanut butter and have a conservation with 'em.

Otter
12-16-2004, 03:28 PM
Try sugar cubes and a currying brush.

Or...

Forget the horses. It's your own happiness you should worry about. Feed them peanut butter and have a conservation with 'em.

I tried that and the horse told me to super glue heads of cabbage to my ceiling and I've been avoiding the situation since.

Unless your Amish and need a plow pulled put me on the horses suck as pets list.

Bwana
12-16-2004, 03:34 PM
Joe Joe Joe :shake: They are a lot like dogs with the exception that if you piss one off, they can kick you into next week. If you need some tips, send me some smoke.

Iowanian
12-16-2004, 03:37 PM
I'm a horse whisperer.........well.....a horse Shouter.

You can tell more by their ears, how they hold their head, eyes, twitching and stance.

Be careful not to use your "Gruff" voice...no sudden movements, pet their neck, don't touch its face to quickly.

...but the only horses I've really been around, were the paint ones I was shooting Indians off the back of in mah fooooowmah lahf.

PatsWin2002
12-16-2004, 03:41 PM
Try this. If you can make friends here then real horses should be a cinch.

ROFL

http://orangemane.com

Bwana
I'm a horse whisperer.........well.....a horse Shouter.

You can tell more by their ears, how they hold their head, eyes, twitching and stance.

Bingo..........If their ears are flat against their head, no good is going to come from it. ROFL

Radar Chief
Just remember if one bites you grab its ear and twist until it lets go, if you can actually function through that kinda pain. ;)

Iowanian
12-16-2004, 03:46 PM
Bingo..........If their ears are flat against their head, no good is going to come from it. ROFL

Or if their ears are standing strait up, their twitching, and doing a first down elvis impression with their lip...................

Stay away from the back end, get on the left side, don't kick your heals in their haunches.

Oh yeah........and if your dad brings home a little yellow pony named Custard who is "kid broke" and you pull the reins until his head is clear down until he bucks every time you get on, and turn it into a rodeo pony, the next time he puts a 4 year old on it..............Wear 2-3 pairs of underwear under your pants.

...and if the neighbor stops and says they think your Pony, "Chief" is dead.......just because he's laying on a hillside with his feet sticking strait out.......be prepared.......he will be when you get there. Friggin lightening. No wonder I don't like Sandy Eggo.

this place is better than Doctor Phil.

Iowanian
12-16-2004, 03:48 PM
Just remember if one bites you grab its ear and twist until it lets go, if you can actually function through that kinda pain. ;)

You might be a redneck..........

Tip
Wear a shirt, unless you want to be the guy at your office party who had his nipple bitten of by a clydesdale.

Ed just might think those man-nipples the size of midgets fists are crabapples.

Bwana
12-16-2004, 03:49 PM

No kidding, those damn things can draw blood faster than an axe if they tie into you. I had one that bit me on the back of the arm when I was feeding one day when it was about -20. I had on a Wrangler jean jacket with about four shirts including a sweatshirt below that. It still felt like I was getting half my arm yanked off. Just off the reaction from the pain, I turned around and hit that thing in the head with everything I had with my fist and was lucky not to have broken my hand. It ran off like it was shot out of a gun. Damn good horse and that one bite was the only time I ever had any trouble with that horse.

Pennywise
12-16-2004, 03:52 PM
Wow, I didn't know chiefsplanet was full of horseman.

Pretty good advice all around, except they are bullshitting you about laid back ears.... Its their way of smiling.

Also, there is a sweet spot on their hind legs, just below the hock, thats best for petting.

Run up behind them real fast and pet vigorously

Bwana
12-16-2004, 03:52 PM
Or if their ears are standing strait up, their twitching, and doing a first down elvis impression with their lip...................

True, or when they give you the old, side look white eye treatment. :hmmm:

Iowanian
12-16-2004, 03:56 PM

Pretty good advice all around, except they are bullshitting you about laid back ears.... Its their way of smiling.

Also, there is a sweet spot on their hind legs, just below the hock, thats best for petting.

Some of them are downright Helpfull Creatures....If you fall down underneath one, they might even extend a handle for you to pull yourself up with...........

now....pw.........tell Otter why everyone calls you "thouroghbred ED"

Radar Chief
12-16-2004, 03:57 PM
No kidding, those damn things can draw blood faster than an axe if they tie into you. I had one that bit me on the back of the arm when I was feeding one day when it was about -20. I had on a Wrangler jean jacket with about four shirts including a sweatshirt below that. It still felt like I was getting half my arm yanked off. Just off the reaction from the pain, I turned around and hit that thing in the head with everything I had with my fist and was lucky not to have broken my hand. It ran off like it was shot out of a gun. Damn good horse and that one bite was the only time I ever had any trouble with that horse.

I was about 14 and was taking care of a friends gelding while her family was on vacation. I thought “Lucky” and I were getting along great, stuffed a carrot in it’s mouth, petted it’s neck and when I turned around to grab the brush that thing latched onto my shoulder muscle just left of my neck and literally picked me up off the ground.
Neighbors started heading for the storm cellar cause they thought the tornado siren was going off.
As soon as I got it to let go I turned around and decked it right between the eyes and didn’t even phase it. Never turned my back on that ornery fugger again.

Radar Chief
12-16-2004, 04:01 PM

I definatly wouldn’t call myself a “horseman”, but I’ve been around a few

Run up behind them real fast and pet vigorously :thumb:

Lzen
12-16-2004, 04:01 PM

I take it you don't like otter too well?

Pennywise
12-16-2004, 04:05 PM
I was about 14 and was taking care of a friends gelding while her family was on vacation. I thought “Lucky” and I were getting along great, stuffed a carrot in it’s mouth, petted it’s neck and when I turned around to grab the brush that thing latched onto my shoulder muscle just left of my neck and literally picked me up off the ground.
Neighbors started heading for the storm cellar cause they thought the tornado siren was going off.
As soon as I got it to let go I turned around and decked it right between the eyes and didn’t even phase it. Never turned my back on that ornery fugger again.

I would have loved to have seen that dude. My buddy, when he was 4 or 5, was standing next to a gate with his brother, and a stud horse leaned over the gate and bit him in the meaty part of the thigh and picked him up and shook him. He fell to the ground when the chunk came out. He has a cleft in his thigh still.

You should really hear him tell the story... I didn't do it justice.

Pennywise
12-16-2004, 04:07 PM
now....pw.........tell Otter why everyone calls you "thouroghbred ED"

Leave my time in the saddle out of this mister...

Bwana
12-16-2004, 04:08 PM
I would have loved to have seen that dude. My buddy, when he was 4 or 5, was standing next to a gate with his brother, and a stud horse leaned over the gate and bit him in the meaty part of the thigh and picked him up and shook him. He fell to the ground when the chunk came out. He has a cleft in his thigh still.

Old Otter is going to give this gal the gate if he keeps learning about horse's. ROFL

Lzen
12-16-2004, 04:11 PM

When I was about 15, I had a girlfriend who lived out in the sticks. They had a few horses. She and I would go on rides for some alone time :D . She had this male horse that she made me ride. We were just riding on a gravel road and this fugger started hauling ass. Before long, he took me under some low hanging tree branches. Swiped me right off onto the ground. I never did really like that bastard. :cuss:

Iowanian
12-16-2004, 04:11 PM
Leave my time ON the bucket out of this mister...

Its your story greenacres.

Radar Chief
12-16-2004, 04:13 PM

:eek:

Bwana
12-16-2004, 04:21 PM
So have you gone for a ride yet Otter, or are you just spending a little time around the nags?

Joe Mariner
12-16-2004, 04:23 PM

Trust me... You'll know when he's happy..

Duck Dog
12-16-2004, 04:31 PM
If it doesn't fetch on command, I have no use for it.

bogie
12-16-2004, 04:46 PM
Horses are happiest when they're chop blocking.

Otter
12-16-2004, 04:56 PM
So have you gone for a ride yet Otter, or are you just spending a little time around the nags?

Sorry for the absence, I juggling work stuff.

I've been on 2 rides so far and that was cool. They go places the 'ol Pathfinder wouldn't dream of (yea, it's stil running :D ).

I just don't get them as pets. I could see racing them (PONY TRACK) or using them for work but they just seem like lousy pets. My German Sheppards would take down a moutain lion for me or drag me off a mountain with a broken tootsie or die trying.

Horses are just kinda there, seems like a relationship of convience: feed me and I'll walk where ya want me to.

I'm still getting used to them though.

Snakey
12-16-2004, 05:04 PM

First, He's mad the door is too small in your doublewide. He can smell the apple pie.

Second, your right, these horses have to be broken. It might need a 2x4 on it's forehead to find out who is boss like a mule. That's what my dad said, get their damn attention. Be careful tho, the thing migh try to run you under a tree branch at full gallop.

I am not a horse expert, but they are not dogs or cats. Until they figure out who the boss is, he's just going to screw with you. If it's a stallion, making it a gelding is also an option. That will get his attention.

Bwana
12-16-2004, 05:08 PM
First, He's mad the door is too small in your doublewide. He can smell the apple pie.

My doublewide? He can smell the apple pie? WTF? ROFL

Bwana
12-16-2004, 05:11 PM
Sorry for the absence, I juggling work stuff.

I've been on 2 rides so far and that was cool. They go places the 'ol Pathfinder wouldn't dream of (yea, it's stil running :D ).

I just don't get them as pets. I could see racing them (PONY TRACK) or using them for work but they just seem like lousy pets. My German Sheppards would take down a moutain lion for me or drag me off a mountain with a broken tootsie or die trying.

Horses are just kinda there, seems like a relationship of convience: feed me and I'll walk where ya want me to.

They can be a first class pain in the ass, but they are also great for those times when you need them, like those pack trips when you're gunning for elk.

cheeeefs
12-16-2004, 05:42 PM
I grew up on a farm, owned 8 horses at any time about 25 in my lifetime.

I too don't understand the entire horse as a pet thing Otter. They are so high maintenance and IMO low reward. Of course I've had the shallow end of a lot of bad horse stories.

I've been kicked in the face(ornery bastard of a horse named Buster), back, arm, and leg. I've been stepped on, bucked off, ran over(not too bad just shoved down by his breast, didn't actually crush me), and the moment where I finally threw in the towel and said ta` hell with horses was when I was riding a really tame trustworthy lovable horse and all the sudden for no reason, reared completely over the top of me and crushed me between it and the ground, 8 mile ambulance ride to the emergency room with cracked ribs and a bruised kidney I decided the horse thing wasn't for me.

Have a rather hilarious video of me at about 8 years old with a full cowboy gettup on top of my favorite, and only horse to this day I truly loved named Jack. he used to be a barrel racer and I'm at the starting gates of our Arena. I'm yelling and shouting hick crap like "YEEHAAA" and I all the sudden look forward and yell "GIDDEEE UP!" and give him a kick, he took off like a shot and I didn't move an inch, I did a stationary backflip right onto the ground as he went to run his barrels. Hilarious to watch.

FloridaChief
12-16-2004, 06:15 PM
Horses are happiest when they're chop blocking.

rep.

Calcountry
12-16-2004, 06:54 PM

ROFL

Ari Chi3fs
12-16-2004, 07:07 PM
perhaps you should dress up like a rodeo clown?

http://www.zootsuitclown.com/rodeoclown.jpg

Taco John
12-16-2004, 07:18 PM
All I know is that there are going to be some happy horses come Sunday... :)

Iowanian
12-16-2004, 07:30 PM
Speaking of Horses Taco.......The Pic of You and Denis.e celebrating last weekend is finished

Taco John
12-16-2004, 07:37 PM
ROFL

I don't think Phil would like you talking about his girlfriend like that.

Pennywise
12-17-2004, 08:55 AM

All in all and in a nutshell, I don't think the best horseman in the world could explain it better. :thumb:

Thats pretty much it. And a bunch of words can replace 'walk'.

Iowanian
12-17-2004, 09:09 AM
All I know is that there are going to be some happy horses come Sunday... :)

You're probably right..............Indy will more than likely beat their oponent by 30.

On the other hand, Burro fans will be weaping across the nation as KC knocks their candy-chop blocking-salary cap cheating-Crisco on the Jersey-leading with the helment-falling off thecouchdrunkflippingofftheirfansQB-wishtheystillhadkennison team out of the playoffs.

Pennywise
12-17-2004, 09:18 AM
I grew up on a farm, owned 8 horses at any time about 25 in my lifetime.

I too don't understand the entire horse as a pet thing Otter. They are so high maintenance and IMO low reward. Of course I've had the shallow end of a lot of bad horse stories.

I've been kicked in the face(ornery bastard of a horse named Buster), back, arm, and leg. I've been stepped on, bucked off, ran over(not too bad just shoved down by his breast, didn't actually crush me), and the moment where I finally threw in the towel and said ta` hell with horses was when I was riding a really tame trustworthy lovable horse and all the sudden for no reason, reared completely over the top of me and crushed me between it and the ground, 8 mile ambulance ride to the emergency room with cracked ribs and a bruised kidney I decided the horse thing wasn't for me.

Have a rather hilarious video of me at about 8 years old with a full cowboy gettup on top of my favorite, and only horse to this day I truly loved named Jack. he used to be a barrel racer and I'm at the starting gates of our Arena. I'm yelling and shouting hick crap like "YEEHAAA" and I all the sudden look forward and yell "GIDDEEE UP!" and give him a kick, he took off like a shot and I didn't move an inch, I did a stationary backflip right onto the ground as he went to run his barrels. Hilarious to watch.

Boy those are some pretty low rewards...

Radar Chief
12-17-2004, 09:31 AM
All in all and in a nutshell, I don't think the best horseman in the world could explain it better. :thumb:

Thats pretty much it. And a bunch of words can replace 'walk'.

Pretty much, chicks seem to dig’em though. Think it’s some Freudian “having a muscular beast between their legs” kinda deal, but I could be wrong. :shrug:

RedNFeisty
12-17-2004, 09:31 AM
Horses are awesome creatures I think. The only bad thing is for them to be domesticated they do have to have their spirits broken to a point. My grandfather in Texas, has always had horses and I spent every summer in Dallas and would spend a good deal of time at the ranch. A great deal of my friends had horses while I was growing up as well.

The only time I was ever injured by a horse was when I was bucked off and stepped on. She was a beauty, 15.5 hands high, Chestnut was her name. She belonged to a girlfriend. My cousin and I were over there riding one day. My cousin was pissed off at me for one reason or another, and like a dummy I got on Chestnut while still in the barn and my cousin slapped her butt pissing her off, throwing me up against a pillar and stepping on my ankle on the way out the barn.

I have had Clint on a few as well, those did not turn out good. Horses can sense fear just like a dog. If you see a big dog and know that it can do a great deal of damage to you if it wanted, you walk up to the dog with respect, a confidence if you will. You are gentle and calm, with no sudden movements holding your hand out so that it can get a sense of you. Once the animal hasn't moved or given sign that it doesn't like you, you slowly place your hand on the muzzel petting softly. A horse is no different. Sucking up to a horse isn't always the best thing off the bat, such as bringing sugar cubes or brushing. Give that a few days or even a week.

The best horse I have ever known is my granddad's, Skipper, he still has that horse. My granddad had a stroke about 9 years ago, leaving him paralyzed on the left side. He is the one that lives in Texas, anyway, that damn horse meets him at the gate every day and walks him to the feed, then the troff's and back to the gate before ever leaving him to eat. Skipper started doing that the first day my granddad came out to feed him after his stroke. Pretty awesome animals if you ask me.

Iowanian
12-17-2004, 09:37 AM
A guy I know, who is on a Mortar team, was on training exercises at an unnamed base in the southern US....live fire exercises.

Reports were that this persons battery sent 50+ wild ponies to the glue farm in the sky.

I wonder if Wild Horses make the Paste taste "gamey"?

Iowanian
12-17-2004, 09:38 AM
Clint's afraid of shetland Ponies........hahahahahahaha

2bikemike
12-17-2004, 09:43 AM
It's a lot easier determining when a horse is unhappy versus happy.

I once took a vacation to Makinac Island and the people we were with wanted to go horseback riding. So we get to the stables and the stable guy asks if any of us have experience riding. Since I did I rose my hand and admitted that I did. So he gives me this fugging ornery ass horse and I get to lead our group on a ride.

Well this friggin horse wants nothing to do with a leisurely scenic ride. He just wants to get back to the damn barn. I try slowing him down and he looks back and me like he's going to bite. I try to go one way and he wants to go the other. I fought that damn horse the whole frigging ride.

Moral of the story if you ever go to a stable to ride don't volunteer that you know how to ride.

Skip Towne
12-17-2004, 09:52 AM
You're probably right..............Indy will more than likely beat their oponent by 30.

On the other hand, Burro fans will be weaping across the nation as KC knocks their candy-chop blocking-salary cap cheating-Crisco on the Jersey-leading with the helment-falling off thecouchdrunkflippingofftheirfansQB-wishtheystillhadkennison team.
ROFL Good one!!

Pennywise
12-17-2004, 09:57 AM
Horses are awesome creatures I think. The only bad thing is for them to be domesticated they do have to have their spirits broken to a point. My grandfather in Texas, has always had horses and I spent every summer in Dallas and would spend a good deal of time at the ranch. A great deal of my friends had horses while I was growing up as well.

The only time I was ever injured by a horse was when I was bucked off and stepped on. She was a beauty, 15.5 hands high, Chestnut was her name. She belonged to a girlfriend. My cousin and I were over there riding one day. My cousin was pissed off at me for one reason or another, and like a dummy I got on Chestnut while still in the barn and my cousin slapped her butt pissing her off, throwing me up against a pillar and stepping on my ankle on the way out the barn.

I have had Clint on a few as well, those did not turn out good. Horses can sense fear just like a dog. If you see a big dog and know that it can do a great deal of damage to you if it wanted, you walk up to the dog with respect, a confidence if you will. You are gentle and calm, with no sudden movements holding your hand out so that it can get a sense of you. Once the animal hasn't moved or given sign that it doesn't like you, you slowly place your hand on the muzzel petting softly. A horse is no different. Sucking up to a horse isn't always the best thing off the bat, such as bringing sugar cubes or brushing. Give that a few days or even a week.

The best horse I have ever known is my granddad's, Skipper, he still has that horse. My granddad had a stroke about 9 years ago, leaving him paralyzed on the left side. He is the one that lives in Texas, anyway, that damn horse meets him at the gate every day and walks him to the feed, then the troff's and back to the gate before ever leaving him to eat. Skipper started doing that the first day my granddad came out to feed him after his stroke. Pretty awesome animals if you ask me.

And more good advice folks.

They can sense fear, and they act upon it too. They can feel the beat of your heart via the pulse in your legs and if its thundering like a drum, it'll make them uneasy or completely put them in control.

As for the sugar cubes, throw that shit out the window. You don't want them biting at your hands all the time.

And the most important thing is never go out of your way and do one a favor. It will come back to bite you in the ass.

Pennywise
12-17-2004, 09:59 AM
It's a lot easier determining when a horse is unhappy versus happy.

I once took a vacation to Makinac Island and the people we were with wanted to go horseback riding. So we get to the stables and the stable guy asks if any of us have experience riding. Since I did I rose my hand and admitted that I did. So he gives me this fugging ornery ass horse and I get to lead our group on a ride.

Well this friggin horse wants nothing to do with a leisurely scenic ride. He just wants to get back to the damn barn. I try slowing him down and he looks back and me like he's going to bite. I try to go one way and he wants to go the other. I fought that damn horse the whole frigging ride.

Moral of the story if you ever go to a stable to ride don't volunteer that you know how to ride.

You should have gotten down and broke you off a switch or a bat and rode the hair off that bastard.

Bring his ass back like he just did 2 legs of the pony express.

Bwana
12-17-2004, 02:23 PM

One day I got a call frome a friend of mine asking if I would come out and help them with some branding. They had 300+ head to brand and they needed a lot of help. I went out to his place before first light and there was about 20 guys standing around. One of the guys looked out of place. He was standing there in a pair of Calvin jeans, a hat he just picked up from Walmart with a pair of penny loafers. :hmmm:

I asked my buddy WTF is up with this guy? It turns out it was his cousin Robert down for a visit from New Jersey. It seems "cousin Robert" who had never even seen a horse, wanted to head out with some of us for the roundup. This little cockroach was the most arrogant prick any of us had ever seen.

Everyone was then matched up with a horse according to their riding ability. A lot of these horses had not been ridden in months and had no desire to be, I'm talking rank. I got one of those and we had our little who's the boss go around and everything was fine. He bucked, I stayed on all was well.

It came time for "cousin Robert" to get his horse and my buddy had picked out the old tired range nag so he didn't get killed. Old Bob starts piping up with, "Why can't I get a nice big horse like Greg or Tom. This horse is a piece of shit!" Now this graveled my buddys ass so bad he said "ask Greg if he will switch you." I looked him and said "you want to give this one a go there cowboy?" He says "sure! That's what I'm talking about!"

Cousin Bob gets on, the horse blows up world class rodeo style, Cousin Bob took a direct nut rack on the saddle horn before doing a header on the ground in a heap of dust. ROFL You could have heard the laughter from ten miles away. After he was done yacking, he got up off the ground and refused to get on ANY horse. The guy sat on the fence and watched us work all day. :deevee:

Pennywise
12-17-2004, 02:30 PM
One day I got a call frome a friend of mine asking if I would come out and help them with some branding.

Speaking of branding...

Bwana
12-17-2004, 02:37 PM
Speaking of branding...

LMAO, that will leave a mark. ROFL

ENDelt260
12-17-2004, 02:41 PM
Clint's afraid of shetland Ponies........hahahahahahaha
I'm sure this is somehow linked to his intense hatred of cowboys.

Skip Towne
12-17-2004, 02:44 PM
And more good advice folks.

They can sense fear, and they act upon it too. They can feel the beat of your heart via the pulse in your legs and if its thundering like a drum, it'll make them uneasy or completely put them in control.

As for the sugar cubes, throw that shit out the window. You don't want them biting at your hands all the time.

And the most important thing is never go out of your way and do one a favor. It will come back to bite you in the ass.
Sugar cubes are fine. Horses love them. Just lay it in your palm and let him nibble it up. Don't try to give it to him with your fingers....or you won't have any.

Radar Chief
12-17-2004, 02:46 PM

Either that or the constant rejection of advances.

seclark
12-17-2004, 02:49 PM
got a horse for the wife and kids once...it was fine w/them, but hated me w/a passion. had to give it 3beers before it'd let me on it, and i had to have 4 before i'd get on it.
after a year, the kids got bored w/it, so i sold it to someone who i hope took it to the dog food factory. got twice as much as i gave for it, and another $150 for the saddle....f@ckin nag.
sec

Bwana
12-17-2004, 02:56 PM
Aww screw it Otter, just look her daddy in the eyes and tell him "Sir, put me on something RANK!" To make sure he doesn't try to short chance you, toss in, "I'll break him in for you faster than I did your daughter!" :hmmm: You only live once. :)

Iowanian
12-17-2004, 02:59 PM

Speaking of...........I was at the mange "debating" with the biggest dipshi t on the internet.

taco
...............seriously................Does anyone think that moron is actually funny? I know you never stick up for Chief fans over there but damn.........that guy is a dipshit..............now stalking me, thinking he's discovered I'm a 4' tall guy named Frank.

Pennywise
12-17-2004, 03:03 PM
Sugar cubes are fine. Horses love them. Just lay it in your palm and let him nibble it up. Don't try to give it to him with your fingers....or you won't have any.

But your training the horse to expect sugar cubes at every visit.

MOhillbilly
12-17-2004, 03:04 PM
grab the horse w/ your thumb and middle finger and squeze.
they love that.Doesnt hurt to pull down while you are at it.

dumbest creature ever.

Pennywise
12-17-2004, 03:15 PM
grab the horse w/ your thumb and middle finger and squeze.
they love that.Doesnt hurt to pull down while you are at it.

dumbest creature ever.

Grab him where?

Dumbest creature ever? I'll have to disagree.

Skip Towne
12-17-2004, 03:21 PM
But your training the horse to expect sugar cubes at every visit.
So let 'em expect. We kept a box of sugar cubes at the barn. It was the only way to catch them without chasing them all over the corral.

bogie
12-17-2004, 04:15 PM
I used to work in an outdoor theater. The stage was huge and we used several horses. In the beginning of every season, during rehersals it was a rodeo. Eventually the horses got to the point that they new their cues to run/bolt on stage. If the rider wasn't paying attention when the cue came he was on the ground.

MOhillbilly
12-17-2004, 04:32 PM
Grab him where?

Dumbest creature ever? I'll have to disagree.

by the nose.

ya know you can ride a horse to death. Most animals have the brains to quit it.