PDA

View Full Version : Whitlock (ESPN): Kobe, your wife is playing you

tk13
12-16-2004, 04:31 PM
A different perspective, I found this entertaining....

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=whitlock/041216

Kobe, keep your mouth shut
By Jason Whitlock
Special to Page 2

Dear Kobe:

Hey, buddy. How ya doing? My name is Jason Whitlock. I'm a 37-year-old sports fan and sports writer. We've never formally met; and, to be quite honest, I've never really liked you. I'm a Shaq guy. The Big Diesel just always seemed more real than you. I didn't like the way you treated Shaq. Yes, he could be a bit lazy, and he should've reported to camp in better shape. But Shaq is a good guy; and had you shown him the proper respect, he would've given you the respect you wanted.

Hey, let me get to the reason I'm writing. I'm not writing to bash you. I'm writing because my opinion of you ... hold on, I'm writing because my dislike toward you has softened considerably over the past couple of months. I feel sorry for you. It seems as if the whole world has turned against you. No one in the league likes you. You've pushed your family away. Even mild-mannered Phil Jackson has taken shots at you.

You need a friend, Kobe. You need a mentor. You need an older black male in your life to provide you with some guidance. I'm the spokesperson for Big Brothers Big Sisters of Greater Kansas City. BBBS matches Little Brothers with Big Brothers. I figured I could be your Big Brother, a mentor willing to share some hard truths with you.

I know that Dr. Jerry Buss has been giving you some advice. But Dr. Buss is a little ... eccentric. He isn't what you need at this time. You need some counseling from an older male who has street smarts, a head for The Game. You remind me of Stringer Bell. Do you watch "The Wire," Kobe? It's a great show on HBO. Pat Riley loves it. Stringer was the big star on "The Wire." He was a Baltimore drug dealer who was trying to get out of The Game, but greed, ambition and a lack of common sense cost him his life. Stringer did all sorts of dumb crap and crossed all the wrong people. He put himself on an island because he thought he was smarter than The Game.

Kobe, you don't want to end up like Stringer Bell. He got his cap peeled by a gay stickup man and a bean-pie salesman. Had Stringer sought the advice of an older man, he could've walked away from The Game and become a real-estate tycoon.

Obviously, Kobe, you're in a different Game than Stringer Bell. But the Game you're in has stakes that are just as high, maybe even higher. You're in a Game called marriage, and you're playing it all wrong. Actually, you're just getting played. Vanessa, your young wife, has you strung all the way out. That $4 million adultery ring you bought her a year ago was a gigantic mistake. And allowing her to pick a fight for you with Karl Malone is a colossal error.

Your wife has the upper hand. You know this. You got busted trickin' off. You made matters considerably worse by admitting to your wife that you tricked off. Look, I don't care what you told the police. I don't care what you told your lawyers or the prosecutors in Colorado. You should've never confessed to your wife. When it comes to extracurriculars in a marriage, it is far better to live a lie than suffer the consequences of the truth. Ask Bill Clinton, the author of "Trickin' Ain't Easy."

Vanessa is going to be pushing your buttons for the rest of your married life. She's not letting it go. She can't. Karl Malone did not try to get with your wife. Your wife baited Karl into some harmless flirtation.

"Whatcha huntin' Cowboy?"

What was Karl supposed to say? He thinks he's jabbering with a friend so he cracks a joke. Vanessa blew this thing out of proportion because she's still angry with you. A $4-million ring doesn't take the pain or embarrassment away. The only things that will ease that pain and embarrassment are a divorce and half of your money.

Kobe, your wife won't stop making a fool out of you until she believes you look as foolish as she did holding your hand at the press conference when you first answered charges that you raped a hotel desk clerk. She's gonna have you chasing mystery enemies for the rest of your life. She'll send herself flowers and tell you they're from Shaq. You'll catch her with a bag of weed and she'll say The Zen Master had it shipped to her from Mexico. Don't be surprised if she starts cooing about the size of Gary Payton's glove or how cute Ray Allen is. She's probably writing letters to Suge Knight in jail.

She isn't going to let you sleep at night, because she isn't sleeping herself. You're out on the road, getting checked in by a different hotel clerk every night. It doesn't matter how many times you talk to her on your cell phone. It doesn't matter how many text messages you send. You got busted, and you compounded the error by confessing. She's bitter and vindictive.

Kobe, you need to learn to keep your mouth shut. You talk too much. Damn, dude, when the police asked you what happened between you and a 19-year-old, you ran off at the mouth and dragged Shaq's reputation through the mud. You're making a fool out of yourself, Kobe.

Tell Jim Gray: no more interviews. Quit talking to reporters. Stay off of ESPN. Kornheiser and Wilbon are great guys, but five good minutes for them are just five more bad minutes for you. And, my God, what were you thinking when you let Stephen A., John Saunders and Greg Anthony grill you on "NBA Shootaround?" I know your buddy at the L.A. Times, T.J. Simers, is one guy you feel is on your side. But he's playing you, too. Every time you open your mouth to T.J. and confirm a juicy story, you're just putting money in T.J.'s pocket and making yourself look like a buster.

Kobe, there's a big difference between a man who runs his house and a man who runs around the house. How do you play basketball when you spend all day and all night running around the house to put out the fires that Vanessa starts?

You owe The Mailman an apology. If your wife didn't leave the mailbox wide open, The Mailman would've never bothered her.

Your friend,

Jason

cheeeefs
12-16-2004, 04:39 PM
ouch.

ouch.

ENDelt260
12-16-2004, 04:39 PM
My first instinct was to make some sort of crack concerning the amount of marriage experience Whitlock has had...

But, he is right about one thing... Kobe should probably shut the f*ck up. And, if there's one thing Jason has plenty of experience at, it's running his mouth when he shouldn't.

Snakey
12-16-2004, 04:50 PM
That's what I felt was happening as well. She's got his nuts in a vice. She's going to wait till he cracks open a few more million trying to sedate her, then clean him out.

His interview yesterday was disgraceful. Calling it that "thing" in Colorado. Saying he didn't know how to get in touch with Shaq's cellphone.

He tore that team totally apart, he's selfish, and I could always see he was a phoney. Oh how we love to look the other way. They are all just meat to me. At least Elway fell into the oyster when his wife's colon was falling out. Man, I want to know the real story there.

This just shows how athletes think they can get away with adultery and shrug their shoulders. If you want to play that game, don't get married doofus.

Excellent article. Kobe didn't do himself any favors. I found it both funny and sad. He's so far in denial about this it's crazy.

stevieray
12-16-2004, 05:11 PM
I long for the day when sports were about sports.

BIG_DADDY
12-16-2004, 05:30 PM
I think Jason is just really a fat gay man that wants to lay the wood to Kobe. The only thing he said here that makes sense is that he should have never bought that 4 million dollar ring and he talks too much. What Kobe said to the police was nothing short of stupid and pathetic. When being questioned by the police your answer should always be the same. "Am I being charged with anything?"

Yes - " Then I want to speak to an attorney"
No - "Then I am leaving, have a nice day"

The Shaq comment was acting like a petty ass bitch at best and was being a snitch at worst. Kobe needs to really grow up now and move on. I think he is trying by doing things like apologizing to Shaq today but he has a long way to go before he is back on top.

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-16-2004, 05:52 PM
I think Jason is just really a fat gay man that wants to lay the wood to Kobe. The only thing he said here that makes sense is that he should have never bought that 4 million dollar ring and he talks too much.
Laker fan.....

Calcountry
12-16-2004, 06:48 PM
My first instinct was to make some sort of crack concerning the amount of marriage experience Whitlock has had...

But, he is right about one thing... Kobe should probably shut the f*ck up. And, if there's one thing Jason has plenty of experience at, it's running his mouth when he shouldn't.
ROFL

Calcountry
12-16-2004, 06:50 PM
That's what I felt was happening as well. She's got his nuts in a vice. She's going to wait till he cracks open a few more million trying to sedate her, then clean him out.

His interview yesterday was disgraceful. Calling it that "thing" in Colorado. Saying he didn't know how to get in touch with Shaq's cellphone.

He tore that team totally apart, he's selfish, and I could always see he was a phoney. Oh how we love to look the other way. They are all just meat to me. At least Elway fell into the oyster when his wife's colon was falling out. Man, I want to know the real story there.

This just shows how athletes think they can get away with adultery and shrug their shoulders. If you want to play that game, don't get married doofus.

Excellent article. Kobe didn't do himself any favors. I found it both funny and sad. He's so far in denial about this it's crazy.
If he were a phoney, don't you think he could have got that cell phone #?

Calcountry
12-16-2004, 06:51 PM
Laker fan.....
But his philosophy is consistent.

:thumb:

Taco John
12-16-2004, 07:32 PM
That one was a gem, Whitlock. A thouroughly entertaining read that is dead on the money. I think you're dead on. Kobe's gotta either give up basketball or give up Vanessa, because he'll fail miserably tring to keep both in line.

If he's serious about his marragie, he should prove it to Vanessa for good by giving up the game for her. Anything short of showing some real sacrifice, they're doomed. The odds are just too bleak.

In fact, it's exactly what he should have done in the first place, instead of buying her that ridiculous rock... But, having a selfish, privledged attitude, he approached the situation with the focus on "what can I do to fix this for me," instead of "how can I make this right with my wife?"

Kobe should give up the sport for a season or two and get things right with his wife if he's serious about his marraige.

Logical
12-16-2004, 09:06 PM
That one was a gem, Whitlock. A thouroughly entertaining read that is dead on the money. I think you're dead on. Kobe's gotta either give up basketball or give up Vanessa, because he'll fail miserably tring to keep both in line.

If he's serious about his marragie, he should prove it to Vanessa for good by giving up the game for her. Anything short of showing some real sacrifice, they're doomed. The odds are just too bleak.

In fact, it's exactly what he should have done in the first place, instead of buying her that ridiculous rock... But, having a selfish, privledged attitude, he approached the situation with the focus on "what can I do to fix this for me," instead of "how can I make this right with my wife?"

Kobe should give up the sport for a season or two and get things right with his wife if he's serious about his marraige.

I have a different view, he should dump her now every year is 50% of that years monay she will be walking away with.

Dump her now and get it over with, she ain't worth it.

2bikemike
12-16-2004, 09:27 PM
I have a different view, he should dump her now every year is 50% of that years monay she will be walking away with.

I agree. No way should he give up Hoops for her. Ditch the bitch and get on with his life.

Hell I would probably dump my wife if she demanded I give up riding.

Taco John
12-16-2004, 09:35 PM

I just have a hard time advocating for divorce. It just goes against my belief structure.

Swanman
12-17-2004, 08:11 AM
Kobe's an assbag and he is not going to have a very nice Christmas this year because Shaq-a-Claus is coming to town.

Cochise
12-17-2004, 08:22 AM
Aside from Byrant being a fraud like you all suspected he would turn out to be from the beginning, Whitlock has a point.

That girl has got him at checkmate. She fleeced him for $4 million, and is just going to keep milking that cash cow. Then one day she'll decide it's time to go live the rich life. She'll take him to the cleaners, get half the considerable wealth they compiled without her earning a dime, and leave him to porking bellhops.

It sucks to be him but it's his own damn fault. If he could have kept it in his pants and out of that barely-legal, he wouldn't have his junk in a wringer.

Tuckdaddy
12-17-2004, 08:34 AM
Whitlock has gone over the edge with this one. What does he know about Kobe and his wife? Nothing. If I was Kobe I'd find Whitlock and punch him square in his fat ass jaw. I don't like Kobe, he is a little punk with a big mouth but that's his wife and he should be pissed if he reads this.

The Rick
12-17-2004, 08:40 AM
I just have a hard time advocating for divorce. It just goes against my belief structure.
:clap:

Taco John
12-17-2004, 10:42 AM
Whitlock has gone over the edge with this one. What does he know about Kobe and his wife? Nothing. If I was Kobe I'd find Whitlock and punch him square in his fat ass jaw. I don't like Kobe, he is a little punk with a big mouth but that's his wife and he should be pissed if he reads this.

You can tell a lot about people by their actions. She flat out baited Karl. "What you hunting cowboy?" Come on!

Whitlock nailed it. But then, if I was Kobe, I would have recognized that right away... Waitaminute... If I was Kobe, I'd be so self absorbed that I would barely know I had a wife.

Coogs
12-17-2004, 10:47 AM
If your wife didn't leave the mailbox wide open, The Mailman would've never bothered her.

ROFL

BIG_DADDY
12-17-2004, 10:58 AM

Quite possibly the lamest post ever. Keep playing basketball and dictate the relationship or dump her. To say he needs to take off a couple years from the game if he is serious about his marriage is beyond retarded. She is living in the lap of luxery because of Kobe she needs to suck it up or move on. Quitting the game to cater to her every whim is the worst thing he could possible do. No wonder you have never been with a women Taco.

ChiefsOne
12-17-2004, 11:35 AM
One of the few good entertaining articles by Whitlock. I usually hate the guy, but this one is right on.

Kobe is doomed, he should grow up quite trying to smack his fellow players and just play basketball. Spoil the wife even more or cut his loses now.

Braincase
12-17-2004, 11:49 AM
Kobe is doomed

DOOMED!

Kobe is about as screwed up a celeb can be this side of Kurt Cobain.

BIG_DADDY
12-17-2004, 12:23 PM
DOOMED!

Kobe is about as screwed up a celeb can be this side of Kurt Cobain.

THat's not a very fair comparison. Cobain was taking heroin and anphetamines with his wife while she was pregnant. Adulty and being a little snitch just doesn't get you there IMO.

Kobe has done a lot of things wrong no doubt. I still think he will bounce back from that and become one of the top 3 players in the NBA both on and off the court. Currently he is getting the big Nike contract in spite of all the issues he has had. He remains the 7th most popular in jersey sales as well and I think he will probably end up in the top 5 this year. Gotta love the fact that they handed the Queens their worst loss in 7 years last night on their home floor as well. Kobe still remains:

#1 in PPG @ 27.3
#2 in Total points
#8 in Assists
#13 in double double's
Heck he is even 34th in rebounding. Appologizing to Shaq was a move in the right direction. The Lakers traded Kareem Rush to the Bobcats for 2 #2s. If this team can pick up a good center they will be contenders again and all the Laker Haters will be out there stronger than ever. I am looking forward to that day.

ChiefsOne
12-17-2004, 01:06 PM
By "doomed". I meant screwed either way with his wife. Not his basketball career. He will suffer a long time for his adultry stunt either way he goes.

He will be one of the best players ever if he will focus on playing rather than his extra circular activites.

He should grow up and be a man!

BIG_DADDY
12-17-2004, 01:17 PM
By "doomed". I meant screwed either way with his wife. Not his basketball career. He will suffer a long time for his adultry stunt either way he goes.

He will be one of the best players ever if he will focus on playing rather than his extra circular activites.

He should grow up and be a man!

I agree that's the key. He is like what, 25 now? It's time to grow up and quit acting like a little bitch.