PDA

View Full Version : Sirius Radio Satellite

Alphaman
12-17-2004, 05:19 AM
A little help from my Chiefs brethern please:

Have any of you ever purchased the car kit for Sirius Radio? Is it difficult to install? How does it perform?

I'm thinking of getting a setup for my wife for Christmas, so your help would be greatly appreciated.

CosmicPal
12-17-2004, 07:04 AM
(Nothing against you Alpha- but we (ChiefsPlanet) really need to save these Sirius/XM topics for they come up every couple of weeks).

As for the installation- I heard it's not difficult at all. However, not having a clue as to how to install it compared to the time it would take for someone who knows what they're doing - I simply had them install it for me. I figured a trained installer would have it done in twenty minutes, where it might take me a couple of hours.

It's up to you- I've heard it's not difficult, but personally- I'd rather have someone who knows what they're doing- install it for me.

Alphaman
12-17-2004, 07:12 AM
(Nothing against you Alpha- but we (ChiefsPlanet) really need to save these Sirius/XM topics for they come up every couple of weeks).

As for the installation- I heard it's not difficult at all. However, not having a clue as to how to install it compared to the time it would take for someone who knows what they're doing - I simply had them install it for me. I figured a trained installer would have it done in twenty minutes, where it might take me a couple of hours.

It's up to you- I've heard it's not difficult, but personally- I'd rather have someone who knows what they're doing- install it for me.

Thanks for your insight. My apologies on the thread, I didn't realize this had been discussed before. However, since we no longer have a search function, I can't really go back and get them.

CosmicPal
12-17-2004, 07:17 AM
Thanks for your insight. My apologies on the thread, I didn't realize this had been discussed before. However, since we no longer have a search function, I can't really go back and get them.

No apologies needed :thumb:....it's just that some topics have a strange way of popping up every two weeks.

I highly recommend getting the Sirius for a gift...I absolutely love it! As a matter of fact- I'm leaving for KC tomorrow- riding with a bunch of other people, and I am considering taking my car- not just for the comfort, but because I know I've got the Sirius satellite radio. It makes those long trips more tolerable.

Skip Towne
12-17-2004, 07:20 AM
What do these cost? Monthly fee?

Alphaman
12-17-2004, 07:27 AM
What do these cost? Monthly fee?

To get the setup where my wife can listen to it in the car and then unplug, plug and play in the house, will cost me about $220. The monthly fee is about $12.95 (ah...the gift that keeps on costing).

However, she got me TiVo a couple of years ago for a gift.

2bikemike
12-17-2004, 07:31 AM
To get the setup where my wife can listen to it in the car and then unplug, plug and play in the house, will cost me about $220. The monthly fee is about $12.95 (ah...the gift that keeps on costing).

However, she got me TiVo a couple of years ago for a gift.

Hell thats pretty cheap. I looked in to putting it on my bike with the ability to move it to my truck and the expense turned me off. I am thinking about going for it with my bonus.

Its either that or buy a new bike.

Skip Towne
12-17-2004, 07:37 AM
I can't get ready for the idea of pay radio. There are a jillion free stations out there. Maybe for a long haul trucker that doesn't want to change stations every 50 miles but other than that, I can't see it.

stumppy
12-17-2004, 07:44 AM
I can't get ready for the idea of pay radio. There are a jillion free stations out there. Maybe for a long haul trucker that doesn't want to change stations every 50 miles but other than that, I can't see it.

I'm with you on this. I still hate to pay for TV .

C-Mac
12-17-2004, 07:57 AM
Alphaman,
I have installed many of them, the electrical hook up is fairly easy for a beginner but wire routing can be tricky at times especially the antenna. If you like shoot me a PM and I will gladly guide you through it.
Once you have satellite radio........you'll never go back.
:thumb:

Lightning Rod
12-17-2004, 08:26 AM
So do you lose reception when it rains or snows like my direct TV?

NewChief
12-17-2004, 08:29 AM

I don't have it either, but after riding with people that do have it, I can see the attraction.

I don't care about the music, as I'd rather listen to my own CDs. It's worth it for the Comedy channels, though. They are really great and make the time fly by when you're driving.

Rain Man
12-17-2004, 09:38 AM
I guess the part that bothers me about this is the gas mileage you lose by having that big satellite dish on top of the car.

I'm with people on the recurring costs, too. My wife is proposing giving me Tivo for Christmas, but I'm balking just because I don't like monthly bills.

Saulbadguy
12-17-2004, 09:40 AM
If you get the sportster, it should be fairly easy. Just mount it on your dash, and it has a wireless FM transmitter that all you will have to do is tune to the station that its set to. No wires or anything like that to hook up to the radio.

Skip Towne
12-17-2004, 09:42 AM
Alphaman,
I have installed many of them, the electrical hook up is fairly easy for a beginner but wire routing can be tricky at times especially the antenna. If you like shoot me a PM and I will gladly guide you through it.
Once you have satellite radio........you'll never go back.
:thumb:
Hey, Craig, have you got yourself situated yet? PM me an address.

Saulbadguy
12-17-2004, 09:43 AM
I like it because its commercial free. I'd rather spend the money and get a better product. Free radio has:

1. Tons of commercials, annoying ones at that.
2. Annoying DJ's
3. Lack of content, especially when you don't live in a metro area.

Here in Topeka, the radio scene sucks, badly. Its pretty much driven by the Country stations.

Also, sound quality is much better.

The Bad Guy
12-17-2004, 09:55 AM
I have Sirius and I love it.

The installation is really simple. Depending on what car kit you get, there will be detailed instructions and everything you need.

C-Mac
12-17-2004, 10:22 AM
So do you lose reception when it rains or snows like my direct TV?

Not as bad as non moving home satelite. If you go thru a tunnel, mountain ect. yes, otherwise no, as long as your antenna can "see" the satellite your good to go.

BigMeatballDave
12-17-2004, 10:32 AM
I've been checking into this as well. I think I'll get the XM reciever. Its less expensive at $55 and the car kit is $45. $10/month subscription...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2181617

Swanman
12-17-2004, 10:40 AM
I like it because its commercial free. I'd rather spend the money and get a better product. Free radio has:

1. Tons of commercials, annoying ones at that.
2. Annoying DJ's
3. Lack of content, especially when you don't live in a metro area.

Here in Topeka, the radio scene sucks, badly. Its pretty much driven by the Country stations.

Also, sound quality is much better.

I just got XM last night and so far I love it. The main attraction for me is that it offers a much larger range of music to listen to. Just within the rock genre, they have around 15 different stations ranging from classic rock to death metal. In Chicago, there is nowhere even near that much variety. We seem to have clusters of stations playing the exact same stuff. It seems like we have 4 classic rock stations and about 5 top 20 stations.

Also, I get to listen to Opie and Anthony again on XM and they are pretty much free to do or say anything on satellite because they are not governed by the assfaces at the FCC.

C-Mac
12-17-2004, 10:51 AM
Sirius has NFL Football, more talk and PBR. I also thought that if you buy a year in advance its the same price as XM Radio.

BigMeatballDave
12-17-2004, 11:00 AM
Sirius has NFL Football, more talk and PBR. I also thought that if you buy a year in advance its the same price as XM Radio.Their NFL feature is cool, but I seldom listen to football over the radio...

Saulbadguy
12-17-2004, 12:19 PM
Yeah. I'm always at home, at the game, or at a bar on Sundays. Never driving anywhere...

Saulbadguy
12-17-2004, 12:19 PM
FYI XM is going to start carrying tons of college football games, and MLB and NBA games IIRC.

|Zach|
12-17-2004, 12:44 PM
FYI XM is going to start carrying tons of college football games, and MLB and NBA games IIRC.
They are broadcasting every single MLB game next season and this season they did all the football games of a few conferences. I know the ACC was one of them. And I think the other ones were the Pac 10 and the SEC.

Delano
12-17-2004, 04:18 PM
I keep seeing that dish network has teamed up with sirius and they are offering a receiver for 99 bucks after rebates and with a three month subscription.

link (http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/receivers/sirius/promos/index.shtml)

Skip Towne
12-17-2004, 04:24 PM
I keep seeing that dish network has teamed up with sirius and they are offering a receiver for 99 bucks after rebates and with a three month subscription.

link (http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/receivers/sirius/promos/index.shtml)
That's the kiss of death.

ragedogg69
12-17-2004, 05:50 PM
I have had Sirius for almost 2 years now. I love it. Sirius may cost more, but everything is tied into that one monthly fee, whereas XM has premium packages that add on to that $10. Plus like it was said before, if you subscribe to a year, it evens out to about $10....

So price is a push.

I highly suggest you go over to www.sirius.com and click listen. You will then get a 3 day pass to listen to all 64 LIVE streams of their stations. All of them, except for 2 are uncensored. Which is important when it comes to such channels like rap. (i believe xm does censor some of their genre channels.)

XM or Sirius, either way your going to love it. DIE CLEARCHANNEL, INFINITY AND ALL OTHER FM BULLSHIT!

|Zach|
12-17-2004, 06:08 PM
I have had Sirius for almost 2 years now. I love it. Sirius may cost more, but everything is tied into that one monthly fee, whereas XM has premium packages that add on to that $10. Plus like it was said before, if you subscribe to a year, it evens out to about $10....

So price is a push.

I highly suggest you go over to www.sirius.com and click listen. You will then get a 3 day pass to listen to all 64 LIVE streams of their stations. All of them, except for 2 are uncensored. Which is important when it comes to such channels like rap. (i believe xm does censor some of their genre channels.)

XM or Sirius, either way your going to love it. DIE CLEARCHANNEL, INFINITY AND ALL OTHER FM BULLSHIT!
I feel the same way but am on the other side of the coin with XM. As far as the premium channels go the only one I know of are the playboy channel and some Opie and Anthony show. They are both two extra bucks a month if you want to listen to them. So it isn't as much a "premium package" as much as a few channels...

XM has uncensored rap and rock and basically anything you want uncensored it has.

But like I was saying I am sure you would be happier with either of them.

Skip Towne
12-17-2004, 06:15 PM
I feel the same way but am on the other side of the coin with XM. As far as the premium channels go the only one I know of are the playboy channel and some Opie and Anthony show. They are both two extra bucks a month if you want to listen to them. So it isn't as much a "premium package" as much as a few channels...

XM has uncensored rap and rock and basically anything you want uncensored it has.

But like I was saying I am sure you would be happier with either of them.
Listen to the Playboy channel? Duh!!

|Zach|
12-17-2004, 06:16 PM
Listen to the Playboy channel? Duh!!
Seems strange to me.

Zebedee DuBois
12-17-2004, 06:17 PM
Sinus radio ??? THe installation must be painful!

ragedogg69
12-17-2004, 06:26 PM
[QUOTE=ZachKC]XM has uncensored rap and rock and basically anything you want uncensored it has.[QUOTE]

my mistake. i had a friend who got xm for his dad and ended up getting srius for himself because when listening to all the rap channels, they were censored.

|Zach|
12-17-2004, 06:36 PM
[QUOTE=ZachKC]XM has uncensored rap and rock and basically anything you want uncensored it has.[QUOTE]

my mistake. i had a friend who got xm for his dad and ended up getting srius for himself because when listening to all the rap channels, they were censored.
Its all good. There is actully a station called Raw that seems to go out of its way to play uncensored songs. You can't go 5 secs without hearing some words you would never hear on regular radio. ROFL

1adam1238
12-17-2004, 07:25 PM
I've been checking into this as well. I think I'll get the XM reciever. Its less expensive at $55 and the car kit is $45. $10/month subscription...

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2181617

I prefer my sirius because I have all the NFL games and MIke Church is a riot. The kingdude rules and Howard is coming in Jan 06. Living in rural Nevada, this has turned out to be one of the best inventions and I can listen to the Chiefs if I am on the road.

2bikemike
12-17-2004, 08:46 PM
I just signed up for the free trial. I will give it a go for the game on Sunday instead of listening to KCFX.

I have been thinking about getting this for a while maybe after my 3 day trial I will be sold.