PDA

View Full Version : New arena in Overland Park, KS

jiveturkey
12-17-2004, 07:35 AM
Comets, Knights say they will play in OP arena

http://www.bizjournals.com/kansascity/stories/2004/12/13/daily31.html?jst=s_cn_hl

Rob Roberts
Staff Writer
RED Development LLC, developers of a proposed $135 million arena and entertainment district in Overland Park, announced Thursday that the Kansas City Comets and Kansas City Knights would play their home games at the arena.

The project, which also calls for 330,000 square feet of destination retail and entertainment venues, is proposed for a 35-acre site next to the Overland Park International Trade Center near 115th Street and Metcalf Avenue.

It is competing with a $339 million project proposed at 119th Street and Renner Road in Olathe that would include a 9,000-seat arena, 625,000 square feet of retail space and a 250-room hotel.

Representatives of both cities have said that the private investment community probably will invest in only one of the arena projects.

During a news conference Thursday at the Overland Park Convention Center, representatives from RED Development introduced Don Kincaid, owner of the Comets of the Major Indoor Soccer League, and Jim Clark, team owner of the Kansas City Knights of the American Basketball Association.

Both owners said their teams would play regular-season games at the proposed 8,000-seat Overland Park arena. The Comets play at Kemper Arena, and the Knights play at Hale Arena.

On Wednesday, Centerplate was named as the management company for the proposed Olathe arena by a vote of the Overland Park City Council. Centerplate provides concessions and merchandising at Arrowhead and Kauffman stadiums and manages other mid-sized arenas in Bridgeport, Conn., and Greenville, S.C.

Overland Park, which has agreed to take ownership of the arena so that state STAR bonds can be used for its construction, plans to break ground in early 2005 so the arena could be open by fall 2006. But those plans hinge on public financing for about half the project's cost, including $50 million in STAR bonds.

STAR bonds, which can be approved by the Kansas secretary of commerce for projects that generate tourism revenue for the state, are repaid with sales tax revenues generated by the projects they help finance.

Although Overland Park has yet to receive word on its recent STAR bond application, Olathe has received conditional approval for $50 million of the $165 million in STAR bond authority it has requested.

Tim Danneberg, a spokesman for Olathe, said the city is nearing a development agreement with its arena project developer, RTR LLC. Finalizing that agreement and signing destination retail tenants are the two biggest hurdles standing in the way of STAR bond financing for the project, he said.

No retail tenants have been announced for either the Overland Park or Olathe project, though it has been widely reported that Bass Pro Shops wants to open a 125,000-square-foot store at the Olathe site.

Finding professional arena tenants will be the easy part, Danneberg said.

"We are evaluating two arena management teams, both of which would be bringing sports teams with them," he said. "That's not at all a concern to us."

Olathe, which would own its arena, as well, is negotiating with International Facilities Group, which is run by the son of Chicago White Sox and Bulls owner Jerry Reinsdorf, and a consortium led by Compass Facility Management Inc. of Ames, Iowa.

memyselfI
12-17-2004, 07:38 AM
Sweet!!!!

morphius
12-17-2004, 07:40 AM
Well, that would be damn intresting. The one in Olathe is damn close to me, but traffic at either could be just plain EVIL!

jiveturkey
12-17-2004, 07:44 AM
Well, that would be damn intresting. The one in Olathe is damn close to me, but traffic at either could be just plain EVIL!The OP location is set up to handle Sprint traffic and smaller events at the trade center so I would think that the OP location makes more sense.

I used to live at 119th & Blackbob and that area is awful during a regular Saturday afternoon.

Cochise
12-17-2004, 07:46 AM
Now if we can just figure out who gives a rat's arse about indoor soccer...

morphius
12-17-2004, 07:47 AM
The OP location is set up to handle Sprint traffic and smaller events at the trade center so I would think that the OP location makes more sense.

I used to live at 119th & Blackbob and that area is awful during a regular Saturday afternoon.
Well, they are building an overpass on 127th street over 35, so that should help. As long as there isn't a wreck there it isn't too bad, but some more widening well be needed.

jiveturkey
12-17-2004, 07:48 AM
Now if we can just figure out who gives a rat's arse about indoor soccer...People in Overland Park and anyone that sports a soccer rocker mullet.

memyselfI
12-17-2004, 07:49 AM
People in Overland Park and anyone that sports a soccer rocker mullet.

Mullets are for the NASCAR set...sorry.

I think they should just nuke the Sprint Penitentiary and build an arena there.

Cochise
12-17-2004, 07:49 AM
People in Overland Park and anyone that sports a soccer rocker mullet.

the soccer mullet ROFL

beavis
12-17-2004, 07:56 AM
Mullets are for the NASCAR set...sorry.

Yeah... because that makes sense. :rolleyes:

Cochise
12-17-2004, 07:57 AM

Jealous of those people with jobs?

beavis
12-17-2004, 07:59 AM
I think she's just excited about the prospect of Hitler youth rallies being held at the new arena.

Braincase
12-17-2004, 08:06 AM
Will Sprint be putting their name on this arena, too?

ChiefsCountry
12-17-2004, 04:08 PM
Central Hockey League will probally put a team in Overland Park too.

memyselfI
12-17-2004, 04:21 PM

You mean the ones who will be laid off shortly? Nope, been there, done that.

Skip Towne
12-17-2004, 04:41 PM
Now if we can just figure out who gives a rat's arse about indoor soccer...
Psicosis will watch damn near anything.