PDA

View Full Version : How Ironic? Sprint is moving to Reston, VA...

Braincase
12-17-2004, 08:04 AM
... abandoning thousands of Kansas City employees, but their name will be right there on the name of the new sports arena in downton K.C.

Anybody wanna take bets on how soon the logo will get defaced after it appears on the structure?

Cochise
12-17-2004, 08:05 AM
I don't believe they are moving the whole operation out there.

From what the Star said yesterday there will still be a lot of employees in KC, the HQ will just be in Virginia.

BigRedChief
12-17-2004, 08:06 AM
only the executives are moving to reston. The KC metro area will gain jobs in the deal. Nextel is moving to KC.

Saulbadguy
12-17-2004, 08:06 AM
Reston, VA...very crowded place. Home of AOL. Close to the DC area.

NewChief
12-17-2004, 08:14 AM
I can't imagine that they're going to just abandon that huge campus they have in KC. Not sure who else would want to buy it, either.

Cochise
12-17-2004, 08:15 AM
I can't imagine that they're going to just abandon that huge campus they have in KC. Not sure who else would want to buy it, either.

Something in the paper yesterday said they might lease the office space.

Either that or it's going to be the world's largest flea market.

I can't explain how glad I am that I got out of there on my own terms.

morphius
12-17-2004, 08:15 AM
Executive HQ in Reston, I have also heard that it might only last a year there as well, with Operational HQ in OP.

NewChief
12-17-2004, 08:16 AM

Nutty. That's a hell of a lot of office space to lease.

jiveturkey
12-17-2004, 08:20 AM
Sprint already has a large presenance in Reston and all of the space the Nextel has is leased so they will probably beef up some of the exsisting Sprint space and store the suits there.

Sprint owns the campus so it wouldn't make a lot of sense to ditch it.

Reston/DC also has about 3% unemployment so finding quality employees out there will be very difficult. The cost of living is about a 33% higher out there so finding affordable employees will also be difficult.

Dartgod
12-17-2004, 08:25 AM
Nutty. That's a hell of a lot of office space to lease.
They could burn it down...

http://www.bullshitjob.com/officespace/milton.jpg

|Zach|
12-17-2004, 08:34 AM
Executive HQ in Reston, I have also heard that it might only last a year there as well, with Operational HQ in OP.
That what I haerd...not quite pacing up and leaving

HC_Chief
12-17-2004, 08:35 AM
HAHAHAHA!!!!

Reston was where the majority of the clueless idiots were when I was a 'Sprinter'.... I hated working with those tools: none of them knew shit about technology yet all of them constatnly flapped their gums in every teleconference and client meeting. It was embarassing to have to correct their stupidity in the middle of a meeting with potential clients, but it had to be done to set proper expectations for SLAs. Thos fuqtards would promise anything and everything without a CLUE about which they spoke.

Makes sense to put the suits there... they'll fit right in. :D

Skip Towne
12-17-2004, 08:40 AM
They could burn it down...

http://www.bullshitjob.com/officespace/milton.jpg
Yeah, a little Jewish Lightning would do it.

2bikemike
12-17-2004, 08:45 AM
I am thinking its time to dump my Nextel stock.

beavis
12-17-2004, 08:45 AM
Sprint owns the campus so it wouldn't make a lot of sense to ditch it.
They did say that owning vs. renting office space wouldn't be a determining factor on where they were located.

Thats the kind of thinking that got the company into trouble in the first place IMO. Why use what you already have, when you could pay someone else for something you don't need.

beavis
12-17-2004, 08:46 AM
I am thinking its time to dump my Nextel stock.
I had someone tell me the other day that it would go to 40 once the merger went through.

HC_Chief
12-17-2004, 08:47 AM
I bet the Cheesecake Factory @ 119th & Blue Valley Parkway is pissed. :D

htismaqe
12-17-2004, 08:49 AM
Reston/Dulles/Ashburn, VA is the home of many telecom companies, including mine (MCI).

This move by Sprint on the surface looks like a simple mobile deal to keep up with Cingular/AT&T. But in the end, it's going to end the lives of the traditional IXC. Once Sprint spins off it's land-based business and somebody like SBC buys it, Verizon and BellSouth will be lining up to buy my company in a heartbeat.

:(

2bikemike
12-17-2004, 08:50 AM
I had someone tell me the other day that it would go to 40 once the merger went through.

Really well I bought at around $4.00 so I think I will keep an eye on it and put in an order to sell if it drops to low.

With all I hear about Sprint this merger has me nervous.

HC_Chief
12-17-2004, 08:52 AM
I'll give the suit-wearing morons @ Sprint credit for one thing: they do know how to work their stock. (probably because that's all they care about: short-term gains, rather than service)

NewChief
12-17-2004, 08:52 AM
I bet the Cheesecake Factory @ 119th & Blue Valley Parkway is pissed. :D

They won't be the only ones if they close out that campus. That entire area will suffer, though there are enough people that live out there now that it shouldn't be too bad. Still, quite a few of the people that live out there probably work for Sprint.

beavis
12-17-2004, 08:54 AM
Really well I bought at around $4.00 so I think I will keep an eye on it and put in an order to sell if it drops to low.

With all I hear about Sprint this merger has me nervous.
Same here. I'm not giving up what I've already made by getting too greedy. Take it for what it's worth, I don't know what his logic behind the statement was.

beavis
12-17-2004, 08:55 AM
I'll give the suit-wearing morons @ Sprint credit for one thing: they do know how to work their stock. (probably because that's all they care about: short-term gains, rather than service)
Whatever dude, haven't you heard what Forsee's been saying. He cares about the future of all the employees, including the 30,000 that have been/will be laid off. :rolleyes:

HC_Chief
12-17-2004, 08:59 AM
haha, yeah I saw his PC last night on the news; along w/ Nextel's CEO. I love how nonchalant they are when throwing out terms like "downsizing" and "streamlining". I guess if you use nonspecific terms and use them regularly, you really <i>can</i> go to bed at night knowing you put tens of thousands of people out of work to increase stock value by 1% :thumb:

Too bad within a couple of years you have to start hiring them back because service has gone completely to shit, eh? Oh well... not their concern: when that time comes, 'retire', take the multi-million dollar 'pension'/retirement 'bonus' and let the next CEO handle it.

Quite a scam.... makes me want to save my pennies and go to Harvard Business School :)

beavis
12-17-2004, 09:07 AM
Quite a scam.... makes me want to save my pennies and go to Harvard Business School :)
It's hard to believe they get away with it. But I guess as long as they don't get caught doing anything illegal, no one is going to hold them accountable.

Dave Lane
12-17-2004, 10:21 AM

I can't explain how glad I am that I got out of there on my own terms.

I could use the bricks somewhere.

Dave

Cochise
12-17-2004, 10:27 AM
It was embarassing to have to correct their stupidity in the middle of a meeting with potential clients, but it had to be done to set proper expectations for SLAs. Thos fuqtards would promise anything and everything without a CLUE about which they spoke.

SLA is a four letter word.

Cochise
12-17-2004, 10:29 AM
They won't be the only ones if they close out that campus. That entire area will suffer, though there are enough people that live out there now that it shouldn't be too bad. Still, quite a few of the people that live out there probably work for Sprint.

Maybe those JoCo eateries will figure out that they won't be able to chart $10 for a ham sandwich anymore.

KCTitus
12-17-2004, 10:43 AM

This is what happens when one forgets that a business function is to make a profit for its owners and not a jobs program.

HC_Chief
12-17-2004, 10:47 AM
This is what happens when one forgets that a business function is to make a profit for its owners and not a jobs program.

True, businesses exist to make a profit. SMART businesses exist to make continual profits, not short term gains, hemmorage money, short term gain, hemmorage money.

But what do they care? They get out when the cycle is at its zenith.

Cochise
12-17-2004, 10:50 AM

Agreed. It sucks that people get laid off, but a private business is not a fuggin' charity operation.

The goal of a company's executives is to maximize shareholder wealth, not just turn a profit or employ as many people as possible.

KCTitus
12-17-2004, 11:04 AM
True, businesses exist to make a profit. SMART businesses exist to make continual profits, not short term gains, hemmorage money, short term gain, hemmorage money.

But what do they care? They get out when the cycle is at its zenith.

Most execs do care because they receive as payment stock options instead of a salary. This does 2 things...they avoid the income tax and pay cap gains instead and it gives them incentive to keep the price of the stock going up. It's not suprising to see consolidation in the telecom industry -- it's so volatile.

HC_Chief
12-17-2004, 11:09 AM
Most execs do care because they receive as payment stock options instead of a salary. This does 2 things...they avoid the income tax and pay cap gains instead and it gives them incentive to keep the price of the stock going up. It's not suprising to see consolidation in the telecom industry -- it's so volatile.

Makes complete sense. What doesn't, IMO, is giving a former CEO a MASSIVE multi-million dollar pension after he's been caught bilking the corporation of millions, then hiring an "old-school" teleco exec to come in a cut the high-tech sectors (HE) of the corporation from the VP-down (eating millions in losses on the 10 data centers they spent over a BILLION to build), and shipping CS to a country populated with people who can barely speak English. :spock:

Cochise
12-17-2004, 11:13 AM
Makes complete sense. What doesn't, IMO, is giving a former CEO a MASSIVE multi-million dollar pension after he's been caught bilking the corporation of millions, then hiring an "old-school" teleco exec to come in a cut the high-tech sectors (HE) of the corporation from the VP-down (eating millions in losses on the 10 data centers they spent over a BILLION to build), and shipping CS to a country populated with people who can barely speak English. :spock:

I'm not sure what sort of expertise you are speaking from on the subject, but you should have seen the company from the inside. So many replicated processes, especially IT functions. So much just.. massive widespread inefficiency the likes of which you will never see elsewhere. Some people were completely snowed under while others barely had anything to do. The place needed a bigtime reorganization if it was going to be able to stay competitive. I guess they could have kept the old, bloated structure and gone bankrupt though :spock:

I was pissed about them paying Esrey a massive settlement to leave, especially when layoffs were beginning anew, but still. They needed to get their ducks in a row or just get eaten in one of the most hyper-competitive industries there is.

KCTitus
12-17-2004, 11:15 AM

Im not familiar with specifics on the company and as a result am not going to argue the specifics...from the readers digest you posted, I'd say that doesnt make sense.

I understand why companies are outsourcing the CS jobs, primarily, because most Americans dont want the job or do it poorly and therefore affect the company adversely. What the companies didnt realize was that foreign outsourcing made the problem even worse.

Cochise
12-17-2004, 11:19 AM
Im not familiar with specifics on the company and as a result am not going to argue the specifics...from the readers digest you posted, I'd say that doesnt make sense.

I understand why companies are outsourcing the CS jobs, primarily, because most Americans dont want the job or do it poorly and therefore affect the company adversely. What the companies didnt realize was that foreign outsourcing made the problem even worse.

Time will tell if those things were worth it. But it's the consequences of unskilled labor; in that kind of function you are always pretty easy to replace.

Obviously though, it does hack people off to call customer service and talk to someone in another country who barely speaks english. There are costs to be taken into account other than the fact that the person is making $.50 an hour or whatever. Degradation of customer service (as it were), of company image, etc.

Time will tell if these things were worth it. I just don't understand the prevailing attitude that layoffs and reorganization are always a bad move, and that the company is being mismanaged.

It just might be, and I would contend that it was in Sprint's case, that the company is poorly organized and inefficent and it needs to be done, at least in my area.

I mean, I worked with a woman who's entire purpose of employment seemed only to be to maintain an Excel spreadsheet that kept track of the hours we had allocated to each project and tell people what time codes to use. They were paying upwards of 60-70 grand a year or so, counting benefit and salary costs, for something that anyone on the team could have done in their free time with little trouble.

Sure, sometimes layoffs and such mean mismanagement or pillaging executives, but there was definitely a whole lot of fat that could be trimmed over there.

HC_Chief
12-17-2004, 11:24 AM
Cochise - oh, I saw it from the inside, believe me. I know exactly what you're referring to in regards to 'duplicated processes' and the need to reorg (most horrific word in Sprint: 'reorg').

Example: Some genious[sic] decided it wise to spend a couple mil on a crap java app (Kintana), so entire divisions had to start duplicating all project management and time tracking. Though the pos app couldn't handle it, wasn't designed for it, and constantly crashed, the money was spent, so by God, it had to be used (even if it did unnecessarily result in a major increase in manhours).

Sprint is chock full 'o middle managers that do absolutely NOTHING. Well, that's not entirely accurate: a bunch of middle managers who, every once in a while, came up with new processes to add to the existing beuracracy. You know, to ensure work never gets done (or, one spends 10 hours completing paperwork for one hours' worth of actual work).

Like I've said over & over since working there, Sprint is the best example of a top-heavy organization I have ever seen. It's mostly suits and managers who spin red tape in order to justify their salaries.

KCTitus
12-17-2004, 11:28 AM
Obviously though, it does hack people off to call customer service and talk to someone in another country who barely speaks english. There are costs to be taken into account other than the fact that the person is making $.50 an hour or whatever. Degradation of customer service (as it were), of company image, etc.

Agreed...the problem is two sided. Ive viewed this CS issue from both perspectives and I understand both sides. I think somehow CS has become the catch all for many people that a simple call will fix all their issues. Maybe that's good marketing or public stupidity, I dont know, but most customers are not realistic about what a low paid CS worker is going to be able to do for them.

I had a couple of occasions to call CS on my broadband connection back when the vendor was, first, Media One and later, AT&T Broadband...the experiences were absolutely awful when I dealt with the later. Primarily because the support desk was located in Pittsburgh and had no clue as to the local problems that might exist in my area. At one point they had a DHCP server issue that I had diagnosed and when I called in to report it-- it wasnt leasing IP's--they said it was my fault. I even entertained their suggestions, but they insisted that it was my fault. Terribly frustrating--but 99% of the time, they're right, the problem is between the Chair and keyboard.

KCTitus
12-17-2004, 11:31 AM
Like I've said over & over since working there, Sprint is the best example of a top-heavy organization I have ever seen. It's mostly suits and managers who spin red tape in order to justify their salaries.

This is not unique to Sprint...all 'large' companies are bloated with bureacracy, dotted with individual kingdoms, plastered with red tape, and loaded with people who dont deserve their paycheck. It's the nature of the beast.

If you work in a large company, you just have to make your way as best you can...

Cochise
12-17-2004, 11:32 AM
Cochise - oh, I saw it from the inside, believe me. I know exactly what you're referring to in regards to 'duplicated processes' and the need to reorg (most horrific word in Sprint: 'reorg').

Example: Some genious[sic] decided it wise to spend a couple mil on a crap java app (Kintana) so entire divisions had to start duplicated all project management and time tracking through a pos app that couldn't handle it, wasn't designed for it and constantly crashed.... but the money was spent so by God, it had to be used (even if it did unnecessarily result in a major increase in manhours).

I know what you mean... toward the end of my time there I was working on a huge project, and basically our piece of it was hopeless. Rather than upgrading what we had that worked great, they bought a whole new suite of apps that was a complete POS, essentially because it was GUI and prettier than the old mainframe system that was in place and worked fine. It was one of those deals where management thinks that all they need to do something that is impossible is dump more development hours on it. Man I am glad I got out of there.

HC_Chief
12-17-2004, 11:33 AM
This is not unique to Sprint...all 'large' companies are bloated with bureacracy, dotted with individual kingdoms, plastered with red tape, and loaded with people who dont deserve their paycheck. It's the nature of the beast.

If you work in a large company, you just have to make your way as best you can...

Never said it was. I've worked for many large corporations... continue to do so as a consultant. Heck, I worked for the government - the biggest beuracracy of them all (USDA) - none of them come close to the management mess I experienced at Sprint.

Cochise
12-17-2004, 11:34 AM
At one point they had a DHCP server issue that I had diagnosed and when I called in to report it-- it wasnt leasing IP's--they said it was my fault. I even entertained their suggestions, but they insisted that it was my fault. Terribly frustrating--but 99% of the time, they're right, the problem is between the Chair and keyboard.

You're not deailing with anyone with any kind of education it seems when you call tech support for something like that. Usually it just seems to be someone reading off a flowchart or some troubleshooting steps in a binder.

KCTitus
12-17-2004, 11:39 AM
Never said it was. I've worked for many large corporations... continue to do so as a consultant. Heck, I worked for the government - the biggest beuracracy of them all (USDA) - none of them come close to the management mess I experienced at Sprint.

yes, I have too...oddly, I found the government operation probably the cleanest of them all to date.

memyselfI
12-17-2004, 11:41 AM
... abandoning thousands of Kansas City employees, but their name will be right there on the name of the new sports arena in downton K.C.

Anybody wanna take bets on how soon the logo will get defaced after it appears on the structure?

Ironic? I'd say it's symbolic...

for many, KC, is a pitstop on the way to better places.

That being said, I wish they'd level the Sprint Pen and free up the land for something better looking and more worthwhile.

HC_Chief
12-17-2004, 11:44 AM
yes, I have too...oddly, I found the government operation probably the cleanest of them all to date.

Yeah, my experience w/ the USDA was positive for the most part. Only problem(s) I saw = promotion based on years of service rather than expertise, <i>promotion</i> of incompetents to move them out of a department, and the inability to remove incompetent/lazy people once they were hired and on the gov't payroll for a year.

It REALLY sucks to be a SME and be overridden by someone who doesn't understand the technology but wants to exert influence on a project one way or another. I have never seen so many "Oh, you were a Pascal/Cobol programmer in the 80s? Okay, now you're the DBA" in my life.

KCTitus
12-17-2004, 11:45 AM
You're not deailing with anyone with any kind of education it seems when you call tech support for something like that. Usually it just seems to be someone reading off a flowchart or some troubleshooting steps in a binder.

Yes, I know...I got past level I support who are basically the 'have you rebooted' front line to second level who should have some understanding of the network and that person argued with me that it was my firewall when I told him I had swapped out my HD with another HD and had a clean install of Win98 and nothing else--just to humor the suggestion--he still insisted that it was firewall related, even though no firewall had been installed.

Rather than begin to blast the guy, who was clearly in over his head, I just called back until I found someone that understood what I was saying. After my third attempt, I got them to admit that they had a server issue.

KCTitus
12-17-2004, 11:49 AM
Yeah, my experience w/ the USDA was positive for the most part. Only problem(s) I saw = promotion based on years of service rather than expertise, <i>promotion</i> of incompetents to move them out of a department, and the inability to remove incompetent/lazy people once they were hired and on the gov't payroll for a year.

It REALLY sucks to be a SME but be overridden by someone who doesn't understand the technology but wants to exert influence on a project one way or another. I have never seen so many "Oh, you were a Pascal/Cobol programmer in the 80s? Okay, now you're the DBA" in my life.

Heh...yeah, I hear you. I found the 'lifers' as I called them in my area--those who were permanent federal employees were also somewhat nomadic. I had met many people who had been jerked around from city to city on no more than a couple of weeks notice. The bennies are nice but that kind of life sucked.

HC_Chief
12-17-2004, 11:55 AM
It's crazy that they'll actually <i>promote</i> an incompetent 'lifer'; give them more responsibility because it's the only way to get rid of them.

Hell, I'd wager we could make our government 30% more efficient overnight if we gave directors the ability to FIRE incompetent/lazy employees ;)

KCTitus
12-17-2004, 12:01 PM
Hell, I'd wager we could make our government 30% more efficient overnight if we gave directors the ability to FIRE incompetent/lazy employees ;)

Or the large companies...incompetence is rampant everywhere. You cannot fire anyone anymore for simple incompetence or laziness. I had the unfortunate situation to work with one of the laziest people I had ever known--his job was to fix the computer hardware when it broke, service printers, etc--one would think that included moving equipment as needed as well.

Long story short, this guy was constantly dropping the ball, committing to things and then not getting them done, leaving my group on the hook when things didnt get done. Problem was he worked for another group and not me. I wanted him fired for 2 years, and they wouldnt do it.

After a while, he was 'transitioned' into my team as part of a reorg and I wanted to begin termination papers on him and was told I couldnt do it--even though I had documentation. I had to wait until they downsized my group.