PDA

View Full Version : Going to Japan. What do I need to know?

Braincase
12-17-2004, 12:44 PM
Heading to Okinawa, teaching a class @ Kadena. Killer flight, killer jet lag, what do I need to put on my checklist, gang?

And no, Zach, I'm not bringing you back a samurai sword. www.budk.com

|Zach|
12-17-2004, 12:46 PM
If Iwas you I wouldn't bring it to me either. It is a forgone conclusion that you will die by my hand. Why quicken the process? Your fear of ZachJitsu comes through in your posts.

Enjoy your trip suckah!

:)

David.
12-17-2004, 12:46 PM
japanese

HC_Chief
12-17-2004, 12:47 PM
japanese

LOL

Know this: Japan is very expensive.

Ultra Peanut
12-17-2004, 12:47 PM
That whole country is like Bizarro world. They do everything we do, just in a really strange way. It reminds me of that scene in "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" where they go near Toontown, and you can see clouds of smoke and yelling and fighting and all sorts of haywire shit happening above the horizon to signify the complete and total lunacy of the place. Japan is just like that. The whole world continuously scratches its head at the far east, then sits back and watches to see what wacky thing the Japanese will do next. I mean, I'm sure the culture is swell once you get past all the incest and pedophilia and giant robots and all, but after that--huh? Japan is super crazy place, 100 PERCENT!

-- ishkur.com

ChiefsFire
12-17-2004, 12:48 PM
lots and lots of condoms....hookers are cheap there

KC Dan
12-17-2004, 12:49 PM
Fun time. Eat well. I will be in Toyama Japan in the middle of January myself. Get some int'l phone cards before you go. Very expensive otherwise.

Phobia
12-17-2004, 12:50 PM
It depends.... Are you still doing the low-carb thing? 'cuz I LOVE Okinawan Soba noodles. Their fast food yaki-soba kills.

Other than that, prepare to be bored out of your mind....

Unless you can get somebody knowledgeable to take you on a tour of the natural caves the Japs fought from in Oki. Luckily, my CO was THE authority on the battle of Oki while stationed there and he took us on a lengthy tour of caves still containing skeletal remains and dusty supplies. That was quite a thrill.

Other than that, I spent most of my time in Okinawa playing volleyball.

If your better half doesn't mine, Whisper Alley might be worth your time. I was married to my first while over there and didn't go, but had I known what I know now, I may have spent a few nights there.

Bearcat
12-17-2004, 12:54 PM
LOL

Know this: Japan is very expensive.

Someone told me a while back that it's cheaper for them to fly to Hawaii for a round of golf than to play in Japan. That's crazy.

ptlyon
12-17-2004, 12:56 PM
The whole world continuously scratches its head at the far east, then sits back and watches to see what wacky thing the Japanese will do next.

No kidding - like that time that they made an alliance with Germany and bombed Pearl Harbor. I mean, what were they thinking?

One thing is for sure, make a T-shirt to wear around that says, "Hiroshima Blows".

HC_Chief
12-17-2004, 12:56 PM
Someone told me a while back that it's cheaper for them to fly to Hawaii for a round of golf than to play in Japan. That's crazy.

Wow. :eek:

I'll take any excuse to go to Hawaii ;)

Otter
12-17-2004, 12:57 PM
I hear Godzilla is due for another ass-kicking session.

|Zach|
12-17-2004, 01:01 PM
I hear Godzilla is due for another ass-kicking session.
http://www.allposters.com/IMAGES/PEPH/GA1C1.jpg

ENDelt260
12-17-2004, 01:02 PM
http://www.allposters.com/IMAGES/PEPH/GA1C1.jpg
I don't know which movie that is, but I know I watched it at the bar awhile back.

Hilarious.

the Talking Can
12-17-2004, 01:05 PM
when you meet someone, pat them on the top of the head and say "good kitty...".....it's a sign of respect in Asian culture...

Ultra Peanut
12-17-2004, 01:06 PM
I don't know which movie that is, but I know I watched it at the bar awhile back.

Hilarious.I feel that, despite its larger-than-life scope and "monster bash" theme, the movie really hits home and touches you on a very deep, very human level.

Bearcat
12-17-2004, 01:15 PM
when you meet someone, pat them on the top of the head and say "good kitty...".....it's a sign of respect in Asian culture...

Actually pronounced よい子ネコ

Fat Elvis
12-17-2004, 05:30 PM
"Konichiwah Bitches"

Saulbadguy
12-17-2004, 06:01 PM
Panda bear body suits.

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-17-2004, 06:04 PM
Heading to Okinawa, teaching a class @ Kadena. Killer flight, killer jet lag, what do I need to put on my checklist, gang?

Look up Sho-Ya Wang.

elvomito
12-17-2004, 06:11 PM
turn on SpikeTV and watch a few shows of Most Extreme Elemination. it will give you a new respect for the culture and teach you the proper social interaction skills so you won't look silly

Rain Man
12-17-2004, 06:46 PM
His stories are true? Braincase really is a ninja, going back to train new ninjas? (Or is it ninjae?)

|Zach|
12-17-2004, 07:04 PM
His stories are true? Braincase really is a ninja, going back to train new ninjas? (Or is it ninjae?)
Ninjacies.

2bikemike
12-17-2004, 07:32 PM
Not sure but I think its an insult to tip your waiter. Also if you go to a club don't ask a girl to dance. Your supposed to go out and start dancing and if the girl likes you she will join you. (of course if you dance like me you'll be dancing alone)

Ultra Peanut
12-17-2004, 07:49 PM
Speaking of which... if you see this guy, be sure to donate. It's for a good cause.

Dartgod
12-17-2004, 07:54 PM
それは土地の言語を学んだら助ける。

Rain Man
12-17-2004, 07:54 PM
In Japan, it is considered polite to gently tweak the nipples of any woman that you meet for the first time.

Dartgod
12-17-2004, 07:58 PM
In Japan, it is considered polite to gently tweak the nipples of any woman that you meet for the first time.
Unless she is working the checkout counter of the local grocery store, where it is pefectly acceptable for her to tweak her own nipples.

Dave Lane
12-17-2004, 07:59 PM
In case you didn't know I saw this on the History Channel. Japan lost in World War II.

Dave

Skip Towne
12-17-2004, 08:00 PM
It is also wise to bow deeply (and very quickly) after the tweaking.

Ultra Peanut
12-17-2004, 08:01 PM
Unless she is working the checkout counter of the local grocery store, where it is pefectly acceptable for her to tweak her own nipples.We have a winner.

I am impressed.

Rain Man
12-17-2004, 08:01 PM
Unless she is working the checkout counter of the local grocery store, where it is pefectly acceptable for her to tweak her own nipples.

Of course. That goes without saying.

Another oddity of Japanese culture is that, when meeting a police officer, a foreigner is expected to remove his genitalia from his pants and display them as a sign of respect.