PDA

View Full Version : Any1 MOD an XBOX?

cookster50
12-17-2004, 05:29 PM
Anyone?

NewChief
12-17-2004, 05:32 PM
You talking about putting linux on it or what? My brother is about to, I think.

|Zach|
12-17-2004, 05:34 PM
No. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

ENDelt260
12-17-2004, 05:36 PM
No. But I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Liar.

|Zach|
12-17-2004, 05:36 PM
Liar.
You have your opinions and I have mine.

cookster50
12-17-2004, 06:11 PM
You talking about putting linux on it or what? My brother is about to, I think.

Not sure, just doing a little reading up on it. Apparently, you can buy a modchip that you have to install, or there are software mods that you can install instead.

Cochise
12-17-2004, 06:12 PM
It involves soldering and I hear they're frequently screwed up and the machine rendered inoperable.

elvomito
12-17-2004, 06:12 PM
there'a a mod for copying games to the HD... you just rent a game, insert disc, copy, and you now own the game.

wutamess
12-17-2004, 06:18 PM
Yeah but you'll have to purchase a 200GB (recommended) hard drive. That way you can put different games from all platforms on it all the wawy back to Atari.

I have loads of friends that do it but I won't don it because you can't play Xbox online which is all I do with mine.

Valiant
12-17-2004, 06:31 PM
Yeah but you'll have to purchase a 200GB (recommended) hard drive. That way you can put different games from all platforms on it all the wawy back to Atari.

I have loads of friends that do it but I won't don it because you can't play Xbox online which is all I do with mine.

buy another xbox, its what we do... if you bought a 200gig hd you can afford another xbox...

cookster50
12-17-2004, 06:52 PM
It involves soldering and I hear they're frequently screwed up and the machine rendered inoperable.

Apparently not the softmod.

I was hoping to hear some insights from people that have done it. I don't want to buy another HDD right now, so a softmod with dvd burner is what I am looking at.

ZootedGranny
12-17-2004, 07:11 PM

You can definitely get online with a modded Xbox, as long as the chip within has a switch to turn the chip off. I get on Live all the time. The problem arises when you get on Live prior to modding your Xbox. Microsoft checks that the hard drive serial number and the data within the Xbox's EEPROM match. They keep a record of both, and if you get on Live after modding your system and they see you have a different hard drive, they'll ban you.

You do have to have the retail games to play on Live however.

I had a guy in KC do mine for $50, which included installing the chip, a hard drive I had bought, and the necessary software.

You should check the forums @ www.xbox-scene.com they'll have any info you need.

I really recommend modding your Xbox. Besides the advantage of having all of your games run off the hard drive for faster access, the Xbox Media Center software cannot be beaten by anything I've seen on the PC. It plays every media file I throw at it, and I use it every day. I'll download a video, ftp it over to my Xbox and watch it on the tv.