PDA

View Full Version : What's the furthest commute you would make for your job?

Rain Man
12-17-2004, 06:21 PM
Let's say that you get offered a good job - 20 percent more pay and 20 percent more satisfaction than your current job, and the boss and employees seem like nice folks. What is the furthest distance you would commute for that job without either turning it down or moving from your present abode?

Zebedee DuBois
12-17-2004, 06:23 PM
50 miles! ....or maybe it was 50 kilometers....I can't remember.

Count Zarth
12-17-2004, 06:24 PM
45 mins to an hour.

jollymon
12-17-2004, 07:45 PM
I live a minute and a half from work. The other local HS is about 5 minutes from me. And considering I have a new baby (first and last) I don't want to be away from her any more than I have to be.

KcMizzou
12-17-2004, 07:55 PM
I drive from St. Joe to KC to work. It's a solid hour. The cost of living is much lower up here, and with two kids and one income... it really helps.

The drive is a real pain in the ass... but I work 3 12-hour days, so that helps. It all works out in the end.

badgirl
12-17-2004, 07:57 PM
It would depend on the job and how much money and security was involved, I would travel an hour for a good paying job, but not over 15 min for a sucky job.

Frazod
12-17-2004, 08:09 PM
My current commute is just over an hour - about 5 minutes to drive to the train parking lot, 5 minutes to get to the train itself, 40 minute (and 35 mile) ride into Chicago and then a 20 minute walk to my office. Since I don't have to drive, it's no big deal. If I had to drive everyday it would probably by 1 1/2 to 2 hours each way in savage traffic, and that I would not do. But a longer train ride I could handle.

Years ago a local radio station did a survey to find out who had the longest commute locally. They found some psychopath who actually drove from Davenport, Iowa to Chicago daily. That's nuts.

The longest commute of anyone I personally know is a guy I used to work with. He drives 20 miles from DeKalb, Illinois to the Aurora train station and then rides in and walks a mile and a half to his office - that's about 2 hours each way on a good day. I don't think I'd do that. :spock: