PDA

View Full Version : Broncos News: DT Fatafehi plans to be a thug.

Rain Man
12-17-2004, 07:34 PM
Most of this article has already been posted, but I haven't seen a reference to the Bron cos' defensive thuggishness. What a Bron coish thing to do.

http://www.rockymountainnews.com/drmn/broncos/article/0,1299,DRMN_17_3405875,00.html

Hold truth? Coyer leads show of hands
By Lee Rasizer, Rocky Mountain News
December 17, 2004

After getting stonewalled once already this season by Kansas City, Mario Fatafehi thinks he has devised a plan entering the rematch to penetrate the Chiefs offensive line, widely regarded as the NFL's best unit.

"You just close your eyes, fight, throw punches, stuff like that," the Broncos defensive tackle said with a smile.

Broncos defensive coordinator Larry Coyer has another way to find success, only this time within the rules: Get Kansas City's blockers to quit holding so much.

"They're very gifted, don't get me wrong. They're talented, big-time linemen," Coyer told a group of reporters after practice Wednesday. "But they cheat."

Please explain.

"They'll mow you down, now," he said. "But they get by with murder. That's the truth, too. I hear everybody gripe about ours, but these are the worst holders I ever saw in my life.

"They get by with more holding than any team in this league and it's starting to aggravate me a little bit because it's outlandish. And they don't need to. But they're awful. They grab. They hold. Sooner or later (the officials) are going to have to start evening up this game a little bit."

The Chiefs (5-8) boast the league's No. 2 offense at 416.1 yards a game. They are second in scoring at 30 points a game after leading the NFL in that category in successive seasons for the first time since the San Diego Chargers did it in 1981-82.

Since 2001, no team has come closer than 32 of Kansas City's 100 total rushing touchdowns.

All that success starts with the Chiefs' talented line.

"They scare you to death," Coyer said. "That's what makes the team go."

Continuity helps. Kansas City right guard Will Shields has started 188 consecutive games, center Casey Wiegmann 60 in a row and left guard Brian Waters 52 successive games.

Talent also plays a large part. Shields and left tackle Willie Roaf have combined for 18 Pro Bowl appearances.

Denver's defense during the past three-plus seasons has allowed five games with three or more rushing scores. The Chiefs have victimized the Broncos on three of those occasions.

"They work well and understand the scheme and what they're trying to do," Fatafehi said. "Everyone's on point. It's hard to find a weak link."

Coyer doesn't want that skill discounted, but he takes umbrage at what he sees as an unfair advantage.

"They'll block out the sun," he said. "They'll get out on you and whack (you), but there's some things that happen out there that you say, 'Gosh, this can't be allowed.' It's not even."

Coyer was asked how to compensate for those noncalls.

"Pray," he said.

He stressed Thursday it isn't "anyone else's opinion but mine" and he hasn't submitted any film of Kansas City's line play to the league in protest. He also couldn't explain why officials have ignored the problem.

Asked if there was some gamesmanship at work, given the importance of the game Sunday for Denver's playoff opportunities, Coyer shook his head.

"It's just the honest truth, that's all," he said. "There's nothing more to it."

Zebedee DuBois
12-17-2004, 07:37 PM
They sound like a frustrated bunch.

:)

ChiTown
12-17-2004, 08:28 PM
What a bunch of fn pussies.

It's like the pot calling the kettle black. lmao

Skip Towne
12-17-2004, 08:36 PM
I hope we hang 50 on dey azz.

Saulbadguy
12-18-2004, 09:05 AM
He is easily the best defensive player on the Broncos. ;)

I hope we destroy him, though.

NewChief
12-18-2004, 09:45 AM
He's going to close his eyes. Excellent.

StcChief
12-18-2004, 09:47 AM
Bronco's keep talking trash.
Let the game play do the talking.

"You just close your eyes, fight, throw punches, stuff like that," the Broncos defensive tackle said with a smile.

This is the stuff that gets posted in the locker room.

What an idiot.

Braincase
12-18-2004, 10:27 AM
Who will be effected more by this - the ref's or our players? I bet we get a few calls against us right up to the point where one of our guys on D gets cut blocked and goes down... and I bet they target Dalton.

TEX
12-18-2004, 11:55 AM
Pretty Cheap stuff. So funny that the DONX coaches would stoop to this tactic to get some calls. Usually, it's the Rat that does this kind of thing. ROFL

Now should Vermeil start talking about all the CHOPS, CUTS, HOLDS, VASOLINE, etc... that the Broncos O-Lineman are known for, just to keep things even?.. :hmmm:

Rain Man
12-18-2004, 01:50 PM
He's going to close his eyes. Excellent.

I found that a bit interesting myself. It doesn't seem like a strong strategy.

go bowe
12-18-2004, 01:58 PM
I found that a bit interesting myself. It doesn't seem like a strong strategy.hey, what'd you expect from a thug wannabe?

Ultra Peanut
12-18-2004, 02:27 PM
More like FataGAYhi!

OHHHHHHHHHH!