PDA

View Full Version : Old Broncos News: Mike Anderson is a drug-abusing thug.

Rain Man
12-17-2004, 07:36 PM
http://www.coloradoan.com/news/coloradoanpublishing/Football2003/Broncos/111203_anderson.html

Anderson suspended four games

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By The Associated Press

DENVER Broncos fullback Mike Anderson has been suspended for four games for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, the league said Tuesday.

Anderson will lose about $317,000 of his $1.35 million salary and won't be eligible to return until after Denver's Dec. 7 game against Kansas City. The NFL did not detail the violation.

Anderson told The Denver Post the positive test was for marijuana but that he inhaled nothing more than secondhand smoke. He also presented evidence from a toxicologist in an appeal to the NFL.

"I'm very saddened by the decision made by the NFL," Anderson told the newspaper. "I know this has a tremendous negative impact on my team, my coaches, my family and fans. I tested positive for marijuana use at a level that was so low, it would have been deemed a negative test by the state of Colorado."

Anderson is one of the most popular Broncos, an ex-Marine with a clean-cut image. But it is unlikely this is Anderson's first positive test for marijuana: Under NFL policy, a suspension doesn't come until after at least one positive test and the player has entered a confidential drug-testing program.

Anderson's lawyer, Harvey Steinberg, said he and his client will consider legal action against the NFL.

"We're looking at all possibilities in this situation, including trying to get the NFL to take a more serious look at the impacts of its policy and how it affects players who are not involved in any type of improper drug usage," Steinberg told the Post. "If that, in effect, involves court action, that's something we'll examine."

Anderson was the league's Offensive Rookie of the Year in 2000, when he rushed for 1,487 yards and 15 touchdowns after replacing injured starter Olandis Gary. Anderson moved to fullback last year after Denver drafted Clinton Portis.

He has 198 yards rushing and two touchdowns and 10 catches for 42 yards and two TDs this season.

Losing Anderson leaves Denver with three running backs on its active roster: Portis, Reuben Droughns and rookie Quentin Griffin. Droughns will fill in at fullback and the Broncos likely will sign rookie and former Colorado State University star Cecil Sapp off their practice squad to add depth.

In the past month, Denver has lost backup quarterback Steve Beuerlein and starting linebackers Ian Gold and John Mobley for the season due to injuries. Quarterback Jake Plummer, who's due back this Sunday against San Diego, Portis, receiver Ed McCaffrey, strong safety Kenoy Kennedy, left tackle Ephraim Salaam and defensive tackle Daryl Gardener also have missed time this season.

Denver opened the season 4-0, but has lost four of its last five games since the injuries hit.

Originally published Nov. 12, 2003

Skip Towne
12-17-2004, 07:40 PM
He's just trying to fit in.

Count Zarth
12-17-2004, 07:41 PM
Pos rep for all these anti-Donk threads.