PDA

View Full Version : Q&A with Dick Vermeil - 12/16

royr17
12-17-2004, 08:59 PM
http://kcchiefs.com/news/2004/12/16/qa_with_dick_vermeil/

Q&A with Dick Vermeil
Dec 16, 2004, 4:47:17 PM

Q: How did Jerome Woods’ trip to see Dr. Andrews go in Birmingham?

DICK VERMEIL: “Dr. Andrews saw the injury and the problem exactly the same as we saw it. It’s just a matter of time for the healing process.”

Q: How about Ryan Sims’ injury?

VERMEIL: “Sims will practice tomorrow. Bober practiced today but struggled a little bit, so we’ll have to see.”

Q: You feel good about Sims and Wesley playing, right?

VERMEIL: “Yeah, I do.”

Q: Have you decided whether William Bartee will start this Sunday?

VERMEIL: “No, that will be a game day thing. Right now it’s just status quo.”

Q: You decide to pass on the punter you had in?

VERMEIL: “Yeah, we just worked him out.”

Q: Larry Johnson was named the Snickers Hungriest Player of the Game earlier today. Is hungriest a good adjective to use when describing Larry?

VERMEIL: “I think he’s definitely hungry, hungry for the opportunity. I’m glad he won. He deserves it.”

Q: Do you see a different Larry Johnson now that he’s getting an opportunity?

VERMEIL: “He’s got a smile on his face, you know, and he’s getting repetitions in practice and is working hard. He’s having fun and feels good about himself. It’s a great mood swing. It was going to happen sooner or later. He had his struggles going through the process.”

Q: What can you learn about him against a real quality defense?

VERMEIL: “He’s going to have to make people miss. He’s going to have to run over some people like any player. If you look at our tapes against Denver, Priest Holmes made some runs where he made guys miss on the line of scrimmage. He made two more guys miss as he went for 10 yards. When you play Denver you’re going to have to make people miss.”

Q: Does that speak not only to the offensive line but sometimes the back has to do it?

VERMEIL: “Yeah, plus they’re a stunting line. They slant stunt and come from all different angles and sometimes there’s a guy running free. So, it isn’t always going to be a clean line of scrimmage.”

Q: Nobody can predict the future, but if we have the same Priest Holmes back next year do you think that Larry’s new found maturity will allow him to be the backup?

VERMEIL: “Oh yeah, I think. We’ll see how it goes but we might with Priest and Larry; we might play them both.”

Q: Is Eddie Kennison playing better than at any time you’ve been coaching him?

VERMEIL: “I think he’s playing well. I’d like to see him get over 1,000 yards. It’ll be a little more of a test this week because this is a better secondary than we’ve seen. But I think he is playing well; he’s blocking well and doing everything. He’s only dropped a couple of balls. He’s doing everything a coach can ask him to do.”

Q: He’s had this string where he’s had something like six touchdowns in the last five games. When a guy has a streak like this is it just a function of coverage or…

VERMEIL: “A function of coverage, some breakdowns. We’ve had some. It’s Al Saunders’ design to make plays and Eddie’s ability. He’s still fast. He can run.”

Q: Have you talked to Bartee about his psyche?

VERMEIL: “Yeah, I’ve talked to him a little bit. The other coaches have, too. I always try to pick one, two or three guys a day to visit with. I visited with Bartee just a little bit today. He’s in a good frame of mind. He’ll play well Sunday.”

Q: You haven’t lost faith in him?

VERMEIL: “No. I just think that we as coaches as we have all gone back and evaluated, we just maybe have put too much pressure on those guys in a specific form of coverage. We’ve got to change it up more and take some pressure off and don’t be so predictable.”

LiL stumppy
12-17-2004, 09:04 PM
Glad to hear him not all over LJ.And of course still backing Bartee up.