PDA

View Full Version : The Godfather Returns

Frazod
12-17-2004, 09:28 PM
For all you Godfather fans out there, I'd recommend this new book as a must-read. Written by Mark Winegardner (Puzo is, of course, dead), it fills in the gaps between the three movies, wrapping up in 1962. While there are a couple of inconsistencies (most notably the complete absence of Frank Pentangeles) and more somewhat cheesy and thinly-veiled real life people thrown into the mix (a former Irish bootlegger named Shea and his two politically-aspiring sons, for example), overall it is well written, seemlessly stays true to the original characters, and offers complex and believable explanations for events and motivations depicted in the films.

I enjoyed this book immensely. :thumb:

Jenson71
12-17-2004, 09:35 PM
I'm about 100 pages in. Not bad, so far. That sucks there's no Frankie Five Angels...And no Hyman Roth either?

Frazod
12-17-2004, 09:36 PM
I'm about 100 pages in. Not bad, so far. That sucks there's no Frankie Five Angels...And no Hyman Roth either?

Roth is mentioned, but not much. The book skirts over the stuff that was portrayed in the films, since we already know all that.

FloridaChief
12-17-2004, 09:37 PM
Noted. I'm gonna grab a copy over the holiday...

Jenson71
12-17-2004, 09:40 PM
I did read them back to back, and it really makes me appreciate Puzo like I never had before. He was really something else, this world he created. And the characters he made we all gave a damn about. I'm not quite sold on Geraci yet. Seems pretty cold, nothing to love.

2bikemike
12-17-2004, 09:41 PM
I have been waiting for somebody to talk about this book. I was highly skeptical since it was not written by the master himself. So I guess I will give it a shot.

Skip Towne
12-17-2004, 09:48 PM
Noted. I'm gonna grab a copy over the holiday...
Shouldn't you learn to read first? There aren't many pictures. :p

Frazod
I did read them back to back, and it really makes me appreciate Puzo like I never had before. He was really something else, this world he created. And the characters he made we all gave a damn about. I'm not quite sold on Geraci yet. Seems pretty cold, nothing to love.

You start to warm up to him (if you can call it that :D ) later on.

Nzoner
Thanks Tim,the wife was just asking for my Christmas list tonight,this will definitely be on it.

FloridaChief
12-17-2004, 09:51 PM
Shouldn't you learn to read first? There aren't many pictures. :p

I enjoy pictures. Could you send me over some of the cave wall paintings you made in your youth?

Frazod
12-17-2004, 09:52 PM
Thanks Tim,the wife was just asking for my Christmas list tonight,this will definitely be on it.

Cool. I think you'll really enjoy it.

2bikemike
12-17-2004, 09:53 PM

Poor woman is running a little behind. You should have had your list made weeks ago. Now she has to endure the crowded malls to please you. :shake:

Frazod
12-17-2004, 09:54 PM
Poor woman is running a little behind. You should have had your list made weeks ago. Now she has to endure the crowded malls to please you. :shake:

If you'd seen his house, you'd know that going the extra mile for Joe's happiness is clearly something she has no problem with.

Joe may well be married to the coolest woman alive. :thumb:

2bikemike
12-17-2004, 09:56 PM
If you'd seen his house, you'd know that going the extra mile for Joe's happiness is clearly something she has no problem with.

Oh I see he married up like I did!

Nzoner
12-17-2004, 09:58 PM

I swear I told her I didn't want anything because we're taking a vacation in mid January that's supposed to be our Christmas.Alot of damn good that did.

Oh and by the way,she loves the mall anytime,she's getting up at 6 tomorrow so she can be at some 7a.m. sale Pennys is having.

Nzoner
12-17-2004, 10:02 PM

She's also married to a selfish bastard,that made it clear from the start he wanted no kids because he was never going to grow up. :D

2bikemike
12-17-2004, 10:07 PM
I swear I told her I didn't want anything because we're taking a vacation in mid January that's supposed to be our Christmas.Alot of damn good that did.

Oh and by the way,she loves the mall anytime,she's getting up at 6 tomorrow so she can be at some 7a.m. sale Pennys is having.

Damn women are sick. I would rather put up with an ass whoopin than go to the damn mall this time of year.

We do that too where we say we aren't exchanging gifts and we just get for the kids. But it never works. I alway end up rushing out and getting something for her because she "found" something that she just had to get me.

Nzoner
12-17-2004, 10:14 PM
Damn women are sick. I would rather put up with an ass whoopin than go to the damn mall this time of year.

We do that too where we say we aren't exchanging gifts and we just get for the kids. But it never works. I alway end up rushing out and getting something for her because she "found" something that she just had to get me.

Yep,I have to admit though that I was at my buddy's store the other day and eyed a black,crotchless...........well let's just say it was something I just had to get mys...er her for vacation.

Frazod
12-17-2004, 10:16 PM

I had all of my shopping done the first week of December. There is nothing worse than being trapped in a crowd of thousands of f#cking mall zombies. :#

2bikemike
12-17-2004, 10:20 PM
Yep,I have to admit though that I was at my buddy's store the other day and eyed a black,crotchless...........well let's just say it was something I just had to get mys...er her for vacation.

Your buddy has a crotchless panty store? ROFL :p

2bikemike
12-17-2004, 10:22 PM
I had all of my shopping done the first week of December. There is nothing worse than being trapped in a crowd of thousands of f#cking mall zombies. :#

Luckily I can go in the middle of the week. I did all my shopping this week I got my daughter taken care of on Tues. I even had everything gift wrapped before I left the mall.

My wifes was done on Wed. Just went in picked it up and paid for it. I was done in under and hour both days.

Nzoner
12-17-2004, 10:25 PM
Your buddy has a crotchless panty store? ROFL :p

Among other adult novelties,yes,he does.

2bikemike
12-17-2004, 10:33 PM
Among other adult novelties,yes,he does.

And I thought hanging out at my buddies bike shop was cool. :wayne:

Nzoner
12-17-2004, 10:40 PM
And I thought hanging out at my buddies bike shop was cool. :wayne:

Here's a link to his place if you're interested (http://recordwearhouse.com/index.html),unfortunately no pics of the adult novelties but between the used cd's dvd's etc it is one helluva cool place to kill some time.

2bikemike
12-17-2004, 10:47 PM
Here's a link to his place if you're interested (http://recordwearhouse.com/index.html),unfortunately no pics of the adult novelties but between the used cd's dvd's etc it is one helluva cool place to kill some time.

Wow seems like a really cool store. :thumb:

Fairplay
12-18-2004, 05:06 AM
There is nothing worse than being trapped in a crowd of thousands of f#cking mall zombies. :#

Why do zombies always get a bad rap?

Frazod i know you wouldn't recommend a book unless you thought it was good. Im a godfather fan and thought the first book was a must read even though there was a movie about it because it gave more insight on the characters and other things that the movie didn't show (as expected in a book). I will get the book, count on it.