PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone here been to or lived in Alaska?

RedNeckRaider
12-18-2004, 10:09 AM
I have a job offer in Anchorage, and know nothing about the city or the state. It is real good pay and lots of hours, however I have heard the cost of living is high there.

Earthling
12-18-2004, 10:14 AM
All I've heard is that their women were fridgid.. :shrug: Hope this helps.

Phobia
12-18-2004, 10:15 AM
I know nothing about Anchorage. But, everybody I know who worked there temporarily loved the place.

Good luck, it's a big move.

BigMeatballDave
12-18-2004, 10:16 AM
I've eaten 'Baked Alaska', does that count?

RedNeckRaider
12-18-2004, 10:18 AM
I know nothing about Anchorage. But, everybody I know who worked there temporarily loved the place.

Good luck, it's a big move.It is a big move, if I was a few years younger and not so road burned I would already be gone. Going to have to think this one out.

Earthling
12-18-2004, 10:28 AM
RNR Actually I only know one person thats moved there..She lived here in Colorado, moved to Fairbanks area about 4 years ago, and fell in love with the state. She says its breathtaking. You know the hunting and fishing would be as good as it could get.

Bwana
12-18-2004, 10:45 AM
Both

Skip Towne
12-18-2004, 10:49 AM
The nights are 6 months long.

Calcountry
12-18-2004, 10:59 AM
Don't get cabin fever. I had a girlfriend that was from there once.

Bwana
12-18-2004, 11:03 AM
Most things about it are great with the exception of something like a 4:1 male to female ratio. I was surprised when I was up there this last summer because there seemed to be a lot more good looking gals roaming around. When I was up there to live for a year, it wasn't like that. 99% of them looked like the north end of a south bound mule and they still had 3 swing'n dicks chasing after them. :shake: On a side note, you can always import a good looking lady from the lower 48. :)

The fishing and hunting are FANTASTIC! I mean out of this world. Anchorage is a decent sized city with mountains around most of it and crime isn't bad.

The thing that bugged me (other than lack of respectable tang) about it what the 23 hours of sun in the summer and 2 hours of sun in the winter. The summer wasn't bad, but it was strange coming out of a bar at 1am and having it light. The winter was the chits. That two hours of daylight really got to me the first month, but I could deal with it after that.

There is also no state income tax up there, so more bling bling goes in your pocket. :thumb:

It has changed A LOT over the last 15 years for the better, I will give it that. If you do decide to move up there, let me know and I'll give you a few tips on where to go and what to do.

BigMeatballDave
12-18-2004, 11:04 AM
Don't Alaskans get $1000/year from the Exxon/Valdez pipeline?

Bwana
12-18-2004, 11:05 AM

I dont' know if they are still doing that or not. The residents got (I think) around 2k a year when I was up there.

RedNeckRaider
12-18-2004, 11:07 AM
Most things about it are great with the exception of something like a 4:1 male to female ratio. I was surprised when I was up there this last summer because there seemed to be a lot more good looking gals roaming around. When I was up there to live for a year, it wasn't like that. 99% of them looked like the north end of a south bound mule and they still had 3 swing'n dicks chasing after them. :shake: On a side note, you can always import a good looking lady from the lower 48. :)

The fishing and hunting are FANTASTIC! I mean out of this world. Anchorage is a decent sized city with mountains around most of it and crime isn't bad.

The thing that bugged me (other than lack of respectable tang) about it what the 23 hours of sun in the summer and 2 hours of sun in the winter. The summer wasn't bad, but it was strange coming out of a bar at 1am and having it light. The winter was the chits. That two hours of daylight really got to me the first month, but I could deal with it after that.

There is also no state income tax up there, so more bling bling goes in your pocket. :thumb:

It has changed A LOT over the last 15 years for the better, I will give it that. If you do decide to move up there, let me know and I'll give you a few tips on where to go and what to do.
:( The lady news sucks! if I head north I will take you up on the info :thumb:

Bwana
12-18-2004, 11:10 AM
:(

Hell, I would jump on it bud. Like I said, it has changed a lot in the last 15 years for the better. You should make some great money. Do you hunt and fish?

Bwana
12-18-2004, 11:13 AM
Seconds after I was off the plane when I moved up there, my uncle had me here. ROFL

http://www.akbushcompany.com/

RedNeckRaider
12-18-2004, 11:19 AM
Hell, I would jump on it bud. Like I said, it has changed a lot in the last 15 years for the better. You should make some great money. Do you hunt and fish?Not much anymore, hell I would most likely do most of my shooting with a camera.

Bwana
12-18-2004, 11:24 AM
Not much anymore, hell I would most likely do most of my shooting with a camera.

What about fishing? There are some world class monsters up there.

RedNeckRaider
12-18-2004, 11:25 AM
What about fishing? There are some world class monsters up there.I would be into that!

Bwana
12-18-2004, 11:32 AM
I would be into that!

Until I drop dead, I am going to make it up there at least every two years just to fish. I was up for a few days this last summer and have 170+ pounds of Halibut steaks and filets left. The salmon fishing is great as well.

RedNeckRaider
12-18-2004, 11:38 AM
Until I drop dead, I am going to make it up there at least every two years just to fish. I was up for a few days this last summer and have 170+ pounds of Halibut steaks and filets left. The salmon fishing is great as well. The no chicks thing makes me think the ice box will be full!

Bwana
12-18-2004, 11:42 AM
The no chicks thing makes me think the ice box will be full!

It has improved a lot in the last 15 years. When we were in Anchorage on our last night before flying home this summer eating some chow, all I could think about was, where in the hell were all these gals when I lived up here.

OmegaRed
12-18-2004, 12:55 PM
RNR, I'm living in Anchorage right now. The cost of living is really high. I have a 3 br condo and the rent is 1,600 a month. We're a family of five living on one income (23 an hour) and we're struggling. They still have the PFD (permenant fund dividend) but you have to live up here for one calender year before you can qualify. This year it was 919 per person.

The sunlight is something you'll get used to. It literally stays up all night in the summer. I have black sheets covering the bedroom windows. Right now it doesn't come up until 10 in the morning and goes down around 4:30.

The fishing is great. When salmon is in season, it's just a 30 min drive south to get some good fishing spots. There's even a place called ship creek, that the city stocks, that goes trough the north part of town and is easy access.

I don't know much about the night life, I'm not into clubs or bars. The shopping is expensive but the little wal-mart and sams club have saved me. There is no sales tax either so that helps with food and gas.

If there's anything else you want to know I'll be glad to help. Here's a couple of sites I have.
http://www.adfg.state.ak.us/
http://www.adn.com/
http://www.hilltopskiarea.org/
http://www.h2oasiswaterpark.com/
http://www.santaclaushouse.com/
http://www.pfd.state.ak.us/

Ultra Peanut
12-18-2004, 02:08 PM
I've always thought it would be neat to live up there.

Frazod
12-18-2004, 02:16 PM
I've always wanted to go there, but I would never live permanently in someplace that's so seismically active. Anchorage was the site of one of the worst earthquakes ever recorded in North America.

Just something to think about.

Ultra Peanut
12-18-2004, 02:24 PM
I've always wanted to go there, but I would never live permanently in someplace that's so seismically active. Anchorage was the site of one of the worst earthquakes ever recorded in North America.

Just something to think about.Yeah, but Chicago's, like... cold, and stuff. Except in the summer, when it's really hot.

WHO CAN ADJUST TO SUCH DRASTIC SWINGS IN TEMPERATURE OVER THE SPAN OF A FEW MONTHS?

Skip Towne
12-18-2004, 02:24 PM
It sounds like pure heaven if you hunt and fish. And pure hell if you don't.

Ultra Peanut
12-18-2004, 02:26 PM
It sounds like pure heaven if you hunt and fish. And pure hell if you don't.I don't hunt and fish, but it still seems pretty cool.

The whole long-ass "night" thing is a nice hook. I'd have to move in the summer, though.

Frazod
12-18-2004, 02:30 PM
Yeah, but Chicago's, like... cold, and stuff. Except in the summer, when it's really hot.

WHO CAN ADJUST TO SUCH DRASTIC SWINGS IN TEMPERATURE OVER THE SPAN OF A FEW MONTHS?

The area of Illinois I live in is flat, ugly and bland, and yes, it's generally either too hot or too cold and always too humid. No mountains for hundreds of miles, and I have to drive about 15 minutes just to see a decent-sized hill.

But outside of the random tornado, we're safe up here (except from each other).

Skip Towne
12-18-2004, 02:36 PM
I don't hunt and fish, but it still seems pretty cool.

The whole long-ass "night" thing is a nice hook. I'd have to move in the summer, though.
It's really cold up there too. It's not for me.

Raiderhader
12-18-2004, 02:36 PM
North to Alaska
Go north, the rush is on
North to Alaska
Go north, the Rush is on.

go bowe
12-18-2004, 02:46 PM
North to Alaska
Go north, the rush is on
North to Alaska
way up norrrrrrth...

BigMeatballDave
12-18-2004, 02:46 PM
North to Alaska
Go north, the rush is on
North to Alaska
:thumb: Thats my favorite John Wayne movie...

Raiderhader
12-18-2004, 02:55 PM
:thumb: Thats my favorite John Wayne movie...

It is certainly one of the more entertaining ones. I need to find it on DVD.

Raiderhader
12-18-2004, 02:57 PM
way up norrrrrrth...

Where the river is windin' big nuggets they're findin'.....

I'm guessing gochiefs would like it up there.

Bwana
12-18-2004, 03:08 PM
Where the river is windin' big nuggets they're findin'.....

I'm guessing gochiefs would like it up there.

For about 15 minutes until someone gave him a spanking. Kind of a no bullshit crowd up there. :)

Raiderhader
12-18-2004, 03:14 PM
For about 15 minutes until someone gave him a spanking. Kind of a no bullshit crowd up there. :)

Spanking, huh? Yeah, sounds like his kind of place alright.

I'd love to visit Alaska someday. I love mountains and wilderness (I also like cold weather). I'd hike and camp for days on end if I lived up there.

alanm
12-18-2004, 03:26 PM
Spanking, huh? Yeah, sounds like his kind of place alright.

I'd love to visit Alaska someday. I love mountains and wilderness (I also like cold weather). I'd hike and camp for days on end if I lived up there.Just remember to tie bells on your shoelaces and pack a 357 Magnum or something heavier. Suprising a Grizzly whilst rounding a bend on a stroll will end up being no fun.:shake::)

Raiderhader
12-18-2004, 03:28 PM
Just remember to tie bells on your shoelaces and pack a 357 Magnum or something heavier. Suprising a Grizzley whilst rounding a bend on a stroll will end up being no fun.:shake::)

Oh, I'd be packing a small arsenal, you can count on that. ;)

Bwana
12-18-2004, 03:45 PM
Just remember to tie bells on your shoelaces and pack a 357 Magnum or something heavier. Suprising a Grizzly whilst rounding a bend on a stroll will end up being no fun.:shake::)

You have got that right. I bought a .454 Casull just for bear country. Screw the pepper spray bullchit. :shake:

Fairplay
12-18-2004, 07:20 PM
I've always thought it would be neat to live up there.

You couldn't pay me enough.

Fairplay
12-18-2004, 07:20 PM

Just something to think about.

Earthquakes would be the least of my worries if my sorry ass lived up there.

Fairplay
12-18-2004, 07:21 PM
It sounds like pure heaven if you hunt and fish. And pure hell if you don't.

Hell as in hell froze over.

Fairplay
12-18-2004, 07:23 PM
I'd love to visit Alaska someday. I love mountains and wilderness (I also like cold weather). I'd hike and camp for days on end if I lived up there.

You're internet life would come to a screeching halt.

Fairplay
12-18-2004, 07:25 PM
It is a big move, if I was a few years younger and not so road burned I would already be gone. Going to have to think this one out.

Think it over, then say no friggin way...........case closed.

Skip Towne
12-18-2004, 07:26 PM
Hell as in hell froze over.
I see no reason to put up with the cold and the daylight conditions if you aren't a hunter or fisher.

Fairplay
12-18-2004, 07:26 PM
:( The lady news sucks! if I head north I will take you up on the info :thumb:

Open a whorehouse, you'll be rich in no time.

Fairplay
12-18-2004, 07:54 PM
Pages from an Alaskan..............

Date: 2004-11-27, 5:42PM AKST

raining, no snow, its ****ing slippery, the women are large
skiing is not going on and i got nothing to eat. got to go to out where the food and service sucks and the prices are ridiculous

gotta settle for less this winter

Fairplay
12-18-2004, 07:59 PM
This guy says he learned a lot about himself up there. How could he when he worked all the time i ask you?????????

What's it like to work in Alaska?

"I spent the summer in Alaska working for a cannery. Two months of working at least twelve hour days, doing the same thing day in and day out. I asked myself several times, why I was doing it? Why don't I just quit and go home? But I stuck it out, made a lot of money, and learned a lot about myself. I plan on going back to Alaska next summer."

- J. Elliott

Fairplay
12-18-2004, 08:09 PM
And in Alaska they tell bold out and out lies...........

http://www.anchorage.net/800.cfm

Frequently Asked Questions About Anchorage Alaska

3. Is it really cold and dark all winter long?

No. The least amount of functional daylight we get during the winter is seven hours and 35 minutes, and that occurs on Winter Solstice, usually around December 21. Anchorage gains daylight rapidly until Summer Solstice, which occurs around June 21 and we have nearly 24 hours of functional daylight.

stumppy
12-18-2004, 08:12 PM
Open a whorehouse, you'll be rich in no time.

You could run it by hand until you get enough traffic to keep a couple of girls busy.

ENDelt260
12-18-2004, 08:15 PM
I once dated a girl that grew up in Alaska. So, if I were the type to refer to people by their home state, I could say I've been in Alaska.

That's all I've got.

Bowser
12-18-2004, 08:33 PM
How did that marching tune from Full Metal Jacket go?

"I don't know but I've been told..........."

marsaray
12-18-2004, 08:41 PM
I've lived in your mom. It's like a wharehouse in there!!!

OmegaRed
12-18-2004, 10:38 PM
Oh! I almost forgot. It's also legal to have four ounces of marijuana in your house for personal use. If your into that kind of thing.:)

tommykat
12-18-2004, 10:45 PM
I have a job offer in Anchorage, and know nothing about the city or the state. It is real good pay and lots of hours, however I have heard the cost of living is high there.

Without reading......look it up on Google. My Aunt & Uncle go there every year for at least 3 months. I also have talked with a couple of people that went there for the money. It was excellent, but hard. Decide if you want to leave and gain ( a bit lonesome I guess ) or stay here and make nothing!

JazzzLovr
12-18-2004, 11:00 PM
Most things about it are great with the exception of something like a 4:1 male to female ratio.

How is that an exception? :shrug:

;)

JazzzLovr
12-18-2004, 11:05 PM
Not much anymore, hell I would most likely do most of my shooting with a camera.

PETA freak

:p

JazzzLovr
12-18-2004, 11:29 PM
The no chicks thing makes me think the ice box will be full!

Yeah, because you're such a ladies' man in the lower 48.

Ugly Duck
12-19-2004, 05:52 AM
Usta live in Juneau and then Homer Spit. You got 6 months of daylight to find a gal to shack up with for the 6 months of nightime. Don't put it off til the last minute, or you may be sorry. For six months.

Bars are open almost all day when the sun does not go down. They close down from 6 to 7 AM to clean up. Everybody has to go out onto the sidewalks in Anchorage until the bars reopen. Drunks be layin' out all over sidewalks for that hour, folks be steppin' over 'em on their way to work. Lovely place, Anchorage.

P.S. Gratuitous shot of my dog at the beach yesterday:

RedNeckRaider
12-19-2004, 09:18 AM
Yeah, because you're such a ladies' man in the lower 48.
Well I look better in afro than a Chiefs hat :shake:

Raiderhader
12-19-2004, 09:25 AM
You're internet life would come to a screeching halt.

Not necessarily a bad thing.....

Bwana
12-19-2004, 09:46 AM
Drunks be layin' out all over sidewalks for that hour, folks be steppin' over 'em on their way to work. Lovely place, Anchorage.

This is true, down around 4th street downtown, just over from the Captain Cook Hotel right? I forgot about that little detail. The sidewalks and Aliutes (sp) become one.

Homer huh? Awww yes, home of the Salty Dog Saloon. :)

Ugly Duck
12-19-2004, 10:04 AM
The sidewalks and Aleuts become one.

Homer huh? Awww yes, home of the Salty Dawg Saloon. :)The Salty Dawg Saloon.... you is a real Alaskan! They got some tough rules in that place. Can't bring your dogs inside and gotta step outside to smoke weed. I remember one daynight when a customer forgot the deal and lit up a joint inside the joint. The bartender sez, "Hey Frank!!... how many times do I gotta tell you to take that stuff outside?" Harsh... scary harsh.

http://p.vtourist.com/635016-Salty_Dawg_Saloon-Homer.jpg

Bwana
12-19-2004, 10:14 AM
The Salty Dawg Saloon.... you is a real Alaskan! They got some tough rules in that place. Can't bring your dogs inside and gotta step outside to smoke weed. I remember one daynight when a customer forgot the deal and lit up a joint inside the joint. The bartender sez, "Hey Frank!!... how many times do I gotta tell you to take that stuff outside?" Harsh... scary harsh.

And yet, Otter managed to get booted out of there. ROFL Fricken crazy bastage.

Cntrygal
12-19-2004, 09:03 PM

I lived in Anchorage for about a year and in Eagle River (outside of Anchorage) for about 2-1/2. It was absolutely fantastic!!! Well... except for the "now X husband" :D I would love to go back. If I could, I'd just throw a bag in the truck and leave. Donate my junk to charity or something.

As far as the higher Cost of Living..... normally the pay offsets it. You should definately have some money put aside before you get there though. You'll need the money for a place to live and to get yourself settled while you're waiting on your regular paychecks to come in. The people that ran into trouble financially up there, were usually the ones that got the bigger paychecks and thought that they were still paying Arkansas prices on everything.

I still know some people up there (I usually make a trip every few years), so if there's some particular information that you want... I'll see what I can do about getting it for you.

GOOD LUCK!!! now I'll finish reading this thread! ;)

Cntrygal
12-19-2004, 09:06 PM

Every year the pipeline money is different... when I lived up there (early 90s) it was between $800-900. A couple years ago it was almost twice that.

ENDelt260
12-19-2004, 09:11 PM
And yet, Otter managed to get booted out of there. ROFL Fricken crazy bastage.
Awesome. I really gotta get drunk wit that dude.

So, uh, what did he do to get kicked?

Bwana
12-19-2004, 09:13 PM
Awesome. I really gotta get drunk wit that dude.

So, uh, what did he do to get kicked?
Numerous shots. ROFL He is a wild man!

ENDelt260
12-19-2004, 09:20 PM
Numerous shots. ROFL He is a wild man!
Aw, you don't get thrown out of a bar just for doing shots. It's the actions you take when the liquor's in ya.

C'mon, spill it.

Bwana
12-19-2004, 09:23 PM
Aw, you don't get thrown out of a bar just for doing shots. It's the actions you take when the liquor's in ya.

C'mon, spill it.

You will have to ask the wild man if you want more information. :p If you two ever do hook up, it isn't going to be safe. :evil:

ENDelt260
12-19-2004, 09:27 PM
If you two ever do hook up, it isn't going to be safe. :evil:

The best times never are.

We should probably stay in the states. I've never been to Mexican jail... and, I'd like to keep it that way.

Bwana
12-19-2004, 09:42 PM
The best times never are.

We should probably stay in the states. I've never been to Mexican jail... and, I'd like to keep it that way.

I got into a little trouble when I was in France on a spring break, but avoided jail by becoming a track star. :eek: I will never go back to that country, total dive.

ENDelt260
12-19-2004, 09:50 PM
I got into a little trouble when I was in France on a spring break, but avoided jail by becoming a track star. :eek: I will never go back to that country, total dive.
I've got a buddy in Phoenix who has run from the cops numerous times. And gotten away.

Then, a couple of weeks ago he got arrested for "theft of services". Guess he took a cab home... realized on the way he didn't have enough cash... had the cab driver stop at an ATM, and then realized he left his card at the bar. The cabbie wouldn't drive him home, where he had more cash he was gonna pay with. Instead, the cab driver called the cops. And, for some unexplained reason, my buddy just sat in the cab and waited for the cops to show.

When he told me the story, my first question was, "Why the f*ck didn't you run away?" His response was simply, "I don't know."

Warning kids: alcohol impairs thought processes.

Donger
12-19-2004, 10:01 PM
I've got a buddy in Phoenix who has run from the cops numerous times. And gotten away.

Then, a couple of weeks ago he got arrested for "theft of services". Guess he took a cab home... realized on the way he didn't have enough cash... had the cab driver stop at an ATM, and then realized he left his card at the bar. The cabbie wouldn't drive him home, where he had more cash he was gonna pay with. Instead, the cab driver called the cops. And, for some unexplained reason, my buddy just sat in the cab and waited for the cops to show.

When he told me the story, my first question was, "Why the f*ck didn't you run away?" His response was simply, "I don't know."

I lost track of the times I ran from the cops growing up.

Once, a friend and I found about seven Mickey's (sp?) under a tree in a park. We awere about 14 at the time, and it was the middle of summer in KC. They were foul, but we drank them anyway.

We definitely had a good buzz on, when all of a sudden a cop walks up to us. In panic, I whipped the Mickey at him and it hit him right in the head.

My "friend" was already running and I was scared sh*tless. All I heard was the advice of my older bothers, "Cops won't chase you on foot through water!" So, I ran like hell to the nearest creek and crossed it. Sure enough, the cop that I hit with the bottle didn't cross after me. He did, however, call in the OPPD helicopter and (it seemed) every cop car in the city to find me. I hid in that damned creek for the entire night, and got a serious ass-whopping when I finally went home the following morning. I can still hear that cop screaming at me . He was quite upset.

Bwana
12-19-2004, 10:01 PM

I have a cousin who was tuned up one night and was taking a cab home. For some reason, he decided to give me a call because he was pissed off at the cab driver. I could hear them in a pissing match over the cost and a "don't try to rip me off you fuggen dot head!" I guess the guy was trying to charge him $75 for a $20 fee. The cab driver then pulls over and tries to drag my cousin out of the cab on the interstate. He didn't warm up to this so he beat his ass and left him knocked out in the borrow pit. He then jumps in the cab and takes off. He is explaining to me what is going on and I'm think WTF? ROFL I told him to park that cab at least 1/2 a mile from his house and run the rest of the way. I also told him NEVER go back to that same bar. :shake: He was sweating it out for a month, but never got caught.

ENDelt260
12-19-2004, 10:08 PM
In panic, I whipped the Mickey at him and it hit him right in the head.

I got to right here, and my jaw dropped and I said, "Holy shit."

Speaking of the helicopter reminded me of another story. Also not about me. I've never had trouble with the law. :D

A friend of a friend, all cranked up on meth, found himself riding his motorcycle around on one wheel in traffic in Phoenix (a couple years before I lived down here). Anyway, I guess a cop took exception to this activity. The motorcycle rider decided, "Hey, I'm a super duper neato bike. I can outrun this cop." Dropped his front wheel, and he was off.

Guess he was doing okay... even made it to the interstate... thought he was home free. Then he saw the spotlight. He was smart enough to know he couldn't outrun a helicopter. He just pulled over and waited for the cops to catch up.

I guess he caught quite the beating. Apparently cops don't like chasing people :shrug:

Ecto-I
12-19-2004, 10:09 PM
I live in Anchorage and am home right now for the Holidays (I go to school in California).

Anchorage is a big city that is growing very rapidly. I used to really dislike the place, but now that it is growing and comercializing more, I actually kind of like it. It doesn't get too cold, but winters are damn long and dark. Housing is a bitch right now so be prepared to fork over some dough. Other than that, its a pretty good place.

Feel free to ask me anything specific if you'd like.

2bikemike
12-19-2004, 10:11 PM
I have a cousin who was tuned up one night and was taking a cab home. For some reason, he decided to give me a call because he was pissed off at the cab driver. I could hear them in a pissing match over the cost and a "don't try to rip me off you fuggen dot head!" I guess the guy was trying to charge him $75 for a $20 fee. The cab driver then pulls over and tries to drag my cousin out of the cab on the interstate. He didn't warm up to this so he beat his ass and left him knocked out in the borrow pit. He then jumps in the cab and takes off. He is explaining to me what is going on and I'm think WTF? ROFL I told him to park that cab at least 1/2 a mile from his house and run the rest of the way. I also told him NEVER go back to that same bar. :shake: He was sweating it out for a month, but never got caught.

Ok my turn!

We were riding our dirt bikes down by the railroad tracks in KC. We had to ride along the tracks and go through a drainage tunnel to get to the area we used to ride. Well when we were done we come back out under the tunnel and a railroad dick tries to stop us. He straddled the front wheel of my buddies bike and he just dumps the clutch and the front end comes up and nails the guy in the balls and shoves him back about 10 yds. My buddy about fell over but kept it up as the guy fell down. And off we go spraying dirt and rocks all over that guy as we haul ass. We didn't ride there for a long time after that.

I almost fell off my bike laughing at the scene unfolding but when my buddy took off I just followed suit.

ENDelt260
12-19-2004, 10:17 PM
Straddling the front tire of a motorcycle sounds like a pretty dumb move.

Donger
12-19-2004, 10:22 PM
I got to right here, and my jaw dropped and I said, "Holy shit."

Speaking of the helicopter reminded me of another story. Also not about me. I've never had trouble with the law. :D

A friend of a friend, all cranked up on meth, found himself riding his motorcycle around on one wheel in traffic in Phoenix (a couple years before I lived down here). Anyway, I guess a cop took exception to this activity. The motorcycle rider decided, "Hey, I'm a super duper neato bike. I can outrun this cop." Dropped his front wheel, and he was off.

Guess he was doing okay... even made it to the interstate... thought he was home free. Then he saw the spotlight. He was smart enough to know he couldn't outrun a helicopter. He just pulled over and waited for the cops to catch up.

I guess he caught quite the beating. Apparently cops don't like chasing people :shrug:

Yeah, I know. I've felt sorry about it ever since it happened. I still can't believe I did it: 14 + a few Mickey's = poor decision making ability. I can still see the blood streaming down his face.

A few years later, I was busted drinking at the QT at 103rd and Metcalf. The cops showed up and I took off on foot across that bridge that led towards 103rd Street. I was planning on going through the trusty water, but then realized I couldn't feel my feet hitting the sidewalk. I turned around and saw this huge cop chasing me. I stopped, turned around and stumbled up to him.

He was completely winded. He came up to me, put both hands on my shoulders and said, very simply, "Thanks for stopping. I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack."

I walked him back to his car and helped his partner put him inside. The partner was, I guess, about to arrest me, but the winded cop stopped him.

2bikemike
12-19-2004, 10:25 PM
Straddling the front tire of a motorcycle sounds like a pretty dumb move.

Yeah I am pretty sure that dude suffered a voice change after that.