PDA

View Full Version : Nebraska Running Scared To Cover For Pathetic Callahan

NaptownChief
12-18-2004, 09:38 AM
I use to have a ton of respect for the Nebraska program before the Callahan disaster. Now they have to back out against bottom half D 1 programs to schedule 1AA teams to protect their record against Callahan's inabilities.

Associated Press
HOUSTON -- Angry Houston (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/clubhouse?collegeId=248) athletic director Dave Maggard, calling Nebraska (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/clubhouse?collegeId=158) "gutless," accused the Cornhuskers Friday of backing out of a verbal agreement to play next fall and scheduling Division I-AA Maine (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/clubhouse?collegeId=311) instead.

“We're going to figure out a solution, but they (the Huskers) are developing a reputation for hanging people out to dry. I think it's a sad commentary on the people running that athletic program. ”— Houston athletic director Dave Maggard
"This is absolutely unprofessional in every way," Maggard said in online editions of the Houston Chronicle. "It's gutless. Spineless. They're going to have to live with it. I've lost a tremendous amount of respect for that program. I think that for college athletics, it's shameful."

Maggard said he arranged a nationally televised game between the Cougars and Nebraska.

Then, he said he learned two days ago on a phone call from Nebraska athletic director Steve Pederson that the game won't be played. Now Houston and ESPN are scrambling to find another opponent for Sept. 1 at Reliant Stadium in Houston.

"Essentially Nebraska bailed on the game," Maggard told KRIV-TV in Houston.

"Our policy has always been … we have never made comment about any potential or future opponent until such time that a contract is signed, and there was no signed contract in this case," Nebraska athletic department spokeswoman Chris Anderson said.

Anderson said Pederson would not address Maggard's comments.

Mike Soltys, vice president in charge of communications at ESPN, said the game was scheduled for the network's Thursday night opener before Nebraska decided to go in a different direction.

"We're going to figure out a solution, but they (the Huskers) are developing a reputation for hanging people out to dry. I think it's a sad commentary on the people running that athletic program," Maggard said.

RedNeckRaider
12-18-2004, 09:47 AM
I had a handful of Husker fan buddies ask me what I thought when they hired him. I told them I thought it was a mistake to fire Stolich (sp) to begin with. I also told them they had better be ready to take some lumps for 3-5 years. The west coast is hard enough to grasp at the pro level and he will need to bring in a different type of player to run it, and it will take time for them to grasp it. It is not going to get any better for awhile, and I don't think he will last long enough to get it turned around.

alanm
12-18-2004, 10:45 AM
Jeez.... Why doesn't this come up when programs like Michigan, Arkansas, Clemson, Ohio St. ect have all backed out of commitments to play Nebraska in the last 10 or so years? Nebraska hadn't signed a contract to play Houston. Then Maine and Wake Forrest stepped up to fill their vacancies. Sounds like Houston is more upset at not getting to play on espn then anything else. If they had wanted to play Nebraska so bad they wouldn't have wasted time haggling over nickles and dimes in the contract with Nebraska and signed when it was presented before them.

Skip Towne
12-18-2004, 10:55 AM
Once again Nebraska shits itself. What a bunch of two faced bastards. Pederson is the dumbest SOB in college athletics.

Bob Dole
12-18-2004, 10:58 AM
Jeez.... Why doesn't this come up when programs like Michigan, Arkansas, Clemson, Ohio St. ect have all backed out of commitments to play Nebraska in the last 10 or so years? Nebraska hadn't signed a contract to play Houston. Then Maine and Wake Forrest stepped up to fill their vacancies. Sounds like Houston is more upset at not getting to play on espn then anything else. If they had wanted to play Nebraska so bad they wouldn't have wasted time haggling over nickles and dimes in the contract with Nebraska and signed when it was presented before them.

Are you getting info from somewhere else? This blurb reads like Houston <b>has</b> the ESPN deal in place.

Infidel Goat
12-18-2004, 11:02 AM
Nebraska isn't scared of anyone.

They are so confident of their football team that they just scheduled a home game against Wake Forest next year.

My Demon Deacons are a powerhouse in football . . .

:)

--Infidel Goat

alanm
12-18-2004, 11:04 AM
Are you getting info from somewhere else? This blurb reads like Houston has the ESPN deal in place.Providing that the contract was signed and sealed. It was still in the negotiation stage. Nebraska had 2 open dates and Maine and Wake Forrest stepped up. Houston was dragging their feet over $$. Nebraska had to get the dates filled. This whiney bitch at Houston is just mad that they don't get to play on espn.

alanm
12-18-2004, 11:06 AM
Nebraska isn't scared of anyone.

They are so confident of their football team that they just scheduled a home game against Wake Forest next year.

My Demon Deacons are a powerhouse in football . . .

:)

--Infidel GoatAnd certainly a better team than Houston. :thumb:

Skip Towne
12-18-2004, 11:08 AM
Providing that the contract was signed and sealed. It was still in the negotiation stage. Nebraska had 2 open dates and Maine and Wake Forrest stepped up. Houston was dragging their feet over $$. Nebraska had to get the dates filled. This whiney bitch at Houston is just mad that they don't get to play on espn.
Then why didn't Pederson say so instead of stonewalling. Sounds like Nebraska pissed backward to me.

alanm
12-18-2004, 11:08 AM
Are you getting info from somewhere else? This blurb reads like Houston has the ESPN deal in place.Yeah, My older bro is a Nebraska booster. He has info to all the inside stuff. Well... maybe not all of it, but a lot anyway. :)

alanm
12-18-2004, 11:14 AM
Then why didn't Pederson say so instead of stonewalling. Sounds like Nebraska pissed backward to me.Nebraska's used to having teams back out on them. With signed contracts even!!! Your Hogs being one of them in the last 5 years. That's why they upped the buy out option to $350.000 a couple of years ago. Nebraska doesn't go to the media to whine about it though. Houston's AD is just whining about not getting to play on espn. They've only themselves to blame for dragging their feet.

Ultra Peanut
12-18-2004, 11:17 AM
Houston's not too bad. Their record sucks, but they're really young and they played a brutal schedule. They played Miami tough, they just made some costly turnovers at inopportune times, and then they followed that by doing the same with us.

9/5 Sun vs. Rice L 7 10 @ Houston, TX
9/11 Sat @ Oklahoma L 13 63
9/18 Sat vs. *Army W 35 21
9/23 Thu vs. Miami (Florida) L 13 38
10/2 Sat @ *Memphis L 14 41
10/7 Thu @ *Southern Mississippi L 29 35
10/23 Sat @ *TCU L 27 34
10/30 Sat vs. *Tulane W 24 3
11/6 Sat vs. *East Carolina W 34 24
11/13 Sat @ *UAB L 7 20
11/20 Sat vs. *Louisville L 27 65

The only bad losses are Rice and TCU... the other six teams they lost to are in bowl games.

Skip Towne
12-18-2004, 11:23 AM
Nebraska's used to having teams back out on them. With signed contracts even!!! Your Hogs being one of them in the last 5 years. That's why they upped the buy out option to $350.000 a couple of years ago. Nebraska doesn't go to the media to whine about it though. Houston's AD is just whining about not getting to play on espn. They've only themselves to blame for dragging their feet.
They're not my Hogs. I'm from Kansas. And because other folks have backed out on the Cornholers that makes it OK for them to break their word. I've never seen such a bunch of dicks.

alanm
12-18-2004, 11:29 AM
They're not my Hogs. I'm from Kansas. And because other folks have backed out on the Cornholers that makes it OK for them to break their word. I've never seen such a bunch of dicks.A signed contract would have been binding. On going negotiations aren't.

InChiefsHell
12-18-2004, 11:30 AM
They're not my Hogs. I'm from Kansas. And because other folks have backed out on the Cornholers that makes it OK for them to break their word. I've never seen such a bunch of dicks.

Well, what do you expect from a Kansas fan..? :p

I think this is just the nature of the business. In other words, it happens all the time, but since everyone hates the Huskers and loves to watch them fall, they make a big deal out of something that happens all the freakin' time. 35 straight years in bowl games will get you that kind of reaction...

...oh, but FWIW, Pederson IS a dick...

alanm
12-18-2004, 11:34 AM

I think this is just the nature of the business. In other words, it happens all the time, but since everyone hates the Huskers and loves to watch them fall, they make a big deal out of something that happens all the freakin' time. 35 straight years in bowl games will get you that kind of reaction...

...oh, but FWIW, Pederson IS a dick...Yeah it's pile on Nebraska and kick their dog while their down. Get in your shots while you can because it won't be for long.

Ultra Peanut
12-18-2004, 11:34 AM
How much does it kill you guys to have Bill Callahan as your head coach? That'd be like Shanarat taking over at Kansas or Mizzou. ROFL

alanm
12-18-2004, 11:40 AM
How much does it kill you guys to have Bill Callahan as your head coach? That'd be like Shanarat taking over at Kansas or Mizzou. ROFLWe'll see what he does with the #1 ranked recruiting class in the nation coming in this summer. So far he's lived up to his rep as one of the Top 5 best all time recruiters according to Rivals. I just wish he would have gone to the strength of the team this fall instead of forcing a square peg into a round hole. He should have waited for his players to come on board before implementing his overall offense.

Skip Towne
12-18-2004, 11:40 AM

...oh, but FWIW, Pederson IS a dick...
Houston doesn't seem to think it is the "nature of the business" and neither does ESPN.

alanm
12-18-2004, 11:45 AM
Houston doesn't seem to think it is the "nature of the business" and neither does ESPN.It happens all the time. Maybe not to espn because teams want TV time. Would espn want to run with Houston vs Rice opening night or Houston vs Nebraska. Nebraska if they get back to their winning ways will get their TV time regardless. Houston isn't that lucky.

Skip Towne
12-18-2004, 11:53 AM
It happens all the time. Maybe not to espn because teams want TV time. Would espn want to run with Houston vs Rice opening night or Houston vs Nebraska. Nebraska if they get back to their winning ways will get their TV time regardless. Houston isn't that lucky.
Nebraska's reputation is rapidly turning to dust. Now we find out their word isn't any good. While Pederson "doesn't want to talk about it".

alanm
12-18-2004, 11:58 AM
Nebraska's reputation is rapidly turning to dust. Now we find out their word isn't any good. While Pederson "doesn't want to talk about it".Yeah Skip, like we're f*cking afraid to play Houston when we have the Jayhawks to fret about. Priorities Man, priorities.:)