PDA

View Full Version : Banks: Johnson pushes his way into Chiefs' future

Bob Dole
12-20-2004, 10:23 AM
Don't hold your breath, Don.

Looks like Larry Johnson definitely has the diapers off in Kansas City. The Chiefs' second-year running back had his second consecutive strong game in place of the injured Priest Holmes, and at this point he has doubtless played his way off the trading block and into Kansas City's long-term plans.

With Holmes being 31 and iffy on the health front the past two years, and Derrick Blaylock headed for free agency, Johnson could end up being the lead back in K.C. as early as 2005. That'll mean he covered quite a bit of ground since being inactive for most of the first half of this season.

Oh, and this just in: That Kansas City offensive line is pretty good. I do believe I could finish in positive yardage behind the Chiefs' great wall.

Source (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/don_banks/12/19/snap.judgments/index.html)

Coogs
12-20-2004, 10:48 AM
Oh, and this just in: That Kansas City offensive line is pretty good. I do believe I could finish in positive yardage behind the Chiefs' great wall.

I'm not trying to take anything away from our offensive line. We all have known for quite some thime that we have had one of the best O-lines in the NFL.

But I find it interesting that Holmes was the man for a 3 year stretch, and the O-line was a side bar. Now that LJ is doing the same thing, it is because the offensive line is blowing holes big enough that this sports writer could finish with positive yardage.

So does this really mean the Holmes is not that good either, but it is just the O-line? I think not, 'cause Titus's boy, Omar Easy, had a bit of trouble gaining positive yardage yesterday. 4 carries for 1 yard for the other Penn State grad.

htismaqe
12-20-2004, 11:06 AM
It all depends on Priest's health and whether or not he decides to get all weird in the offseason like he did the last time this happened...

HC_Chief
12-20-2004, 11:08 AM
Priest Holmes is a scoring machine. I doubt LJ will replace him in '05.

We might see a lot more of LJ next year however, with Priest getting the bulk of the red zone work. Not unlike the Staley/Bettis tandem in Pittsburgh this year.

shaneo69
12-20-2004, 11:11 AM
It has to kill Bob Dole everytime Bob Dole reads something like this because Bob Dole is not a big fan of Larry Johnson.

Bob Dole
12-20-2004, 11:13 AM
It has to kill Bob Dole everytime Bob Dole reads something like this because Bob Dole is not a big fan of Larry Johnson.

Actually, Bob Dole is a big fan of the Larry Johnson we've seen the past 3 weeks, and is glad that the "Muddy Johnson" we initially saw appears to be gone.