PDA

View Full Version : Number for NO CALL on cell phones

tommykat
12-20-2004, 07:41 PM
HeeHee......I love beating the news to anything! My Mom got the number for the no call list on cell phones today. I called one of the news stations here and they knew about it coming but no number......ROFL

Here you go my friends......One thing, you have to call from your cell phone to do this........1-888-382-1222.

Dear lord I feel like Phob looking for the spotlight....ROFLROFL JK

FloridaChief
12-20-2004, 07:43 PM
It's been in the news for weeks now?

Taco John
12-20-2004, 07:44 PM
Thanks TK!

KCWolfman
12-20-2004, 07:47 PM
It's a scam, there is no "No Call" list for cell phones. Fox 4 News and Channel 9 News in KC already covered this story on Monday.

tommykat
12-20-2004, 07:47 PM
It's been in the news for weeks now?

:spock: :rolleyes:

tommykat
12-20-2004, 07:49 PM
It's a scam, there is no "No Call" list for cell phones. Fox 4 News and Channel 9 News in KC already covered this story on Monday.

matthew.becker@mildenhall.af.mil

Look..........it says phone and cell phones........bite me. :p

ENDelt260
12-20-2004, 07:50 PM
Why in the world did TK just post some random dude's e-mail address?

OldTownChief
12-20-2004, 07:51 PM

It is and it is'nt.
While it's true that the major wireless phone providers (with the exception of Verizon) have announced their intention to establish a 411 directory of customers' cell phone numbers beginning in late 2005, it is not true that they plan to "publish" said directory for any and all to read. Participating companies say the numbers will be made available only with customer consent and only via telephone to users who dial directory assistance and pay a fee.
The companies swear the numbers will never be available to telemarketers.

Not everyone believes that, however, as evidenced by a privacy protection bill already introduced in Congress which would modify the plan to allow 411 callers to be directly connected to requested parties without the latter's phone numbers being given out.

Per FCC regulations, telemarketers are already prohibited from calling cell phone numbers using automated dialers, which are standard in the industry.

More info can be found here: http://urbanlegends.about.com/library/bl_cell_phone_directory.htm

Saulbadguy
12-20-2004, 07:52 PM
People see "no call list" and cream their pants, like signing up for this thing (which is VERY MISLEADING) is going to protect them from the evil telemarketer boogie man.

DanT
12-20-2004, 07:56 PM
The KC Star posted this story on Dec. 16, 2004. It mentions the phone number that tommykat provided:
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/business/10426468.htm

Legislation seeks a no-call list for cell phones

By PAUL WENSKE

The Kansas City Star

A proposal in Missouri to allow residents to register their cell phones on the state's no-call list could give extra protection from telemarketers, officials say.

The bill, proposed by Rep. David Pearce, a Warrensburg Republican, was endorsed Wednesday in Kansas City by Missouri Attorney General Jay Nixon.

Cell phones already are covered by the national Do Not Call Registry, which blocks unwanted sales calls. But Nixon has maintained in the past that the state's separate no-call law provides broader protection to consumers. And he said the new proposal is a way to expand protections.

“The number of cell phones in Missouri has increased by almost 60 percent in the four years that we've had a no-call law,” Nixon said.

“Mobile phones have moved from being a luxury to being a staple in most households. Many Missourians don't want to get telemarketing calls on their cell phones any more than they want to get those calls at home.”

Federal communication laws also provide protection to cell phone users. For example, telemarketers are banned from using automatic dialers and recorded messages to solicit cell phone users.

But people who use their cell phones to order items from catalogs or to purchase goods from retailers sometimes find that their numbers end up on a telemarketing list.

Nixon said the proposed Missouri legislation also would address text message spam, the unsolicited commercial messages transmitted to the screens of cell phones. These ads can shift the operating costs to cell phone owners, who are often charged for the number of text messages they receive.

“This unwanted text message spam amounts to a collect call from a telemarketer,” Nixon said.

Telemarketers covered by the no-call law who make telemarketing calls to numbers on the list could face legal action, including fines of up to $5,000 per violation.

Pearce sponsored a similar bill in the 2004 General Assembly that was endorsed by the Missouri Chamber of Commerce and the Missouri Broadcasters Association. The current bill for the 2005 General Assembly is House Bill 89. A similar bill is expected to be filed in the Senate.

Missourians can register their numbers on the state's no-call list by calling (866) 662-2551 or going online to .gov. To sign up or file complaints with the national registry, call (888) 382-1222 or go to www.donotcall.gov.

To reach Paul Wenske,

tommykat
12-20-2004, 07:56 PM
People see "no call list" and cream their pants, like signing up for this thing (which is VERY MISLEADING) is going to protect them from the evil telemarketer boogie man.

So??? It worked with my home phone.........and you say it won't with a cell? A lot of elders don't know this, and others that are not familar with cells would answer that call....CAGINGE$$$$ Understand now?

Saulbadguy
12-20-2004, 07:58 PM
So??? It worked with my home phone.........and you say it won't with a cell? A lot of elders don't know this, and others that are not familar with cells would answer that call....CAGINGE$$$$ Understand now?
What the hell is CAGINGE$$$$?

ENDelt260
CAGINGE$$$$ Understand now?

ROFL Yeah, do you get it, Saul?

Bob Dole
http://www.snopes.com/politics/business/cell411.asp

DanT
12-20-2004, 08:00 PM
What the hell is CAGINGE$$$$?

Maybe it's "Ca-ching", the sound a cash register makes.

Saulbadguy
12-20-2004, 08:01 PM
Honestly, it sounds like a racial slur.

ENDelt260
12-20-2004, 08:02 PM
Honestly, it sounds like a racial slur.
Bah. What the hell do you know about racial slurs?

OldTownChief
12-20-2004, 08:02 PM

ROFL Thats got to be it. Very Good!!

Saulbadguy
12-20-2004, 08:04 PM
Bah. What the hell do you know about racial slurs?
Try me...

ENDelt260
12-20-2004, 08:05 PM
Try me...
I won't bother. I'm sure being the geek you are, you know about www.rsdb.org

tommykat
12-20-2004, 08:05 PM

OK I forgot the - FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO CHIT!

Phobia
12-20-2004, 08:41 PM
[size=3]Dear lord I feel like Phob looking for the spotlight....ROFLROFL JK

Cool. Feel me now?

tommykat
12-20-2004, 08:44 PM
Cool. Feel me now?

Under the table as always honey....(just our secret) :p

Phobia
12-20-2004, 08:45 PM
I guess it's not much of a secret any longer, huh?

Deberg_1990
12-20-2004, 08:46 PM

Phobia, where id you get your Avatar?? It frightens me!

tommykat
12-20-2004, 08:46 PM

Strawberries?:p

Phobia
12-20-2004, 08:47 PM
Phobia, where id you get your Avatar?? It frightens me!

I stole it from Ali Chi3fs in exchange for some rep.

Skip Towne
12-20-2004, 09:03 PM
Funny you should say that on a Chiefs board. That sound got Hank Stram in a lot of trouble. He called the "Ca-ching" sound the Jewish Organ and caught all kinds of hell over it.