PDA

View Full Version : Flanagan - Chiefs not eliminated from playoffs!

Count Zarth
12-21-2004, 01:19 AM
Christmas just another work day out at Arrowhead

JEFFREY FLANAGAN

Those off-duty policemen working Christmas Day at Arrowhead Stadium will not be getting holiday pay.

Does that make the Chiefs sound a bit Scroogelike?

Depends on whom you talk to. Some of those off-duty policemen have privately grumbled that they deserve time-and-a-half pay for working Christmas.

But the Chiefs point out that not everyone working at Arrowhead that day is entitled to holiday pay.

“Those workers on the payroll who are with the union are the ones who qualify for that (holiday pay),” said Chiefs director of stadium operations Steve Schneider. “It doesn't apply to everyone, and in this case, it doesn't apply to the off-duty policemen working security. They are hired basically on a freelance basis.”

The Chiefs' in-stadium security consists mostly of a pool of policemen from the KCMO police department, the Jackson County Sheriff's Department and the Missouri State Patrol.

Schneider said the Chiefs had received inquiries from the KCMO police about the Christmas Day pay scale but not from the sheriff's department or the state patrol.

“Basically we contract out for 10 events which are the 10 home games,” Schneider said. “The pay is the same for all 10 events, no matter what day it is. Granted this is a unique situation because of the holiday, but the pay is determined back before the season begins, back in August.”

Even Rick Sticken, the desk sergeant for the KCMO police department's east patrol, downplayed any complaints of the lack of holiday pay. Stricken works with the Chiefs to coordinate the KCMO police pool that works game days.

“The bottom line is that no policeman of ours is being forced to work that day,” Sticken said. “It's all on a volunteer basis. If someone doesn't like the pay scale, then they don't have to work that day.”

Sticken said he could not comment on whether there will be fewer police working the Christmas Day game than usual.

“We can't get into releasing the numbers because of security reasons that started after 9/11,” he said. “But I can tell you that all of the key positions have already been staffed. We'll be fine.”

As Fred White has been heard to say, “If you want to dream a little here….”

The Chiefs, and this may be hard to believe, have yet to be mathematically eliminated from the playoffs with just two games left.

While the Jets have all but secured one wild-card spot at 10-4, there are four 8-6 teams (Buffalo, Baltimore, Denver and Jacksonville) who could, in theory, all lose out. And if the 6-8 Chiefs won out, they'd be the final wild-card team.

Here's how it would break down: The first multiteam tie breaker is to establish the top seeded team in the division. And in this case, the Chiefs and Denver split head-to-head, but the Chiefs would move ahead of Denver based on a better division mark (4-2 to 3-3).

That would leave Buffalo, Baltimore, Jacksonville and the Chiefs. The first tie breaker in this case would be head-to-head. But none of these teams has played each of the others. The next tie breaker in this scenario, because the teams are all in separate divisions, is conference games.

The Chiefs would have a 7-5 conference mark, better than any of the others.

From columnist Bernie Lincicome of the Rocky Mountain News on the Broncos: “Jake Plummer is a blight, Kelly Herndon is a turnstile, Dan Neil is an absentee, Ashley Lelie is a loose thread, Champ Bailey is an usher and the new kicker — Jason somebody — is a millstone.

“John Lynch couldn't make an open-field tackle with a shrimp net. Tatum Bell's most memorable moment will be turning a touchdown into a touchback. Lenny Friedman gets more flags than a diplomat's limousine. The pass rush is no more than a soft breeze.”

To reach Jeffrey Flanagan call (816) 234-4492 and leave a message or e-mail j flanagan@kcstar.com

2bikemike
12-21-2004, 01:23 AM
From columnist Bernie Lincicome of the Rocky Mountain News on the Broncos: “Jake Plummer is a blight, Kelly Herndon is a turnstile, Dan Neil is an absentee, Ashley Lelie is a loose thread, Champ Bailey is an usher and the new kicker — Jason somebody — is a millstone.

“John Lynch couldn't make an open-field tackle with a shrimp net. Tatum Bell's most memorable moment will be turning a touchdown into a touchback. Lenny Friedman gets more flags than a diplomat's limousine. The pass rush is no more than a soft breeze.”

To reach Jeffrey Flanagan call (816) 234-4492 and leave a message or e-mail j flanagan@kcstar.com

I found this pretty funny.

Judge Smails
12-21-2004, 01:35 AM
That would leave Buffalo, Baltimore, Jacksonville and the Chiefs. The first tie breaker in this case would be head-to-head. But none of these teams has played each of the others. The next tie breaker in this scenario, because the teams are all in separate divisions, is conference games

I hate to burst this bubble, but I believe we lost to Jacksonville.
:banghead:

Count Zarth
12-21-2004, 01:39 AM

None of the teams have played EACH of the others.

tk13
12-21-2004, 01:42 AM
No, he means that not one single team has played ALL of the others, in our case we haven't played Buffalo.... so they can't use a head-to-head tiebreaker.

Count Zarth
12-21-2004, 01:47 AM
No, he means that not one single team has played ALL of the others, in our case we haven't played Buffalo.... so they can't use a head-to-head tiebreaker.

BOOYAH!

I BELIEVE!

Judge Smails
12-21-2004, 01:55 AM
Sorry, just a reflexive pesimistic attitude based on previous letdowns. I did look at the remaining schedules of the three teams, and it's goin' to take a freaking miracle to get in.

Baltimore: At Pittsburgh
Miami

Buffalo: At San Fran :shake:
Pittsburgh

Jacksonville: Houston
At Oakland

Count Zarth
12-21-2004, 01:57 AM
Sorry, just a reflexive pesimistic attitude based on previous letdowns. I did look at the remaining schedules of the three teams, and it's goin' to take a freaking miracle to get in.

Miami

Pittsburgh

At Oakland

We need San Fran and Miami to pull upsets. With Baltimore's O, that's possible.

Jacksonville can realistically lose to either of those teams.

ANY GIVEN SUNDAY! PBJ

tk13
12-21-2004, 02:09 AM

Miami

Pittsburgh

At Oakland
Denver also has to lose out, they play @ Tennessee and at home against Indy.

tk13
12-21-2004, 02:10 AM
The way our season has gone, I almost fully expect a Chiefs win and all the rest of those teams to find a way to lose, to give us some glimmer of hope going into that last week... then watch as the door slams shut at the last possible time next week.

Count Zarth
12-21-2004, 02:13 AM
The way our season has gone, I almost fully expect a Chiefs win and all the rest of those teams to find a way to lose, to give us some glimmer of hope going into that last week... then watch as the door slams shut at the last possible time next week.

Heh. Ayup.

Judge Smails
12-21-2004, 02:15 AM

Exactly. And it would come down to the Den/Indy game, and lo and behold Indy would get skunked 10-0 by Denver. On a questionable call. In the last 30 seconds.

Crap.

philfree
12-21-2004, 02:18 AM
Denver also has to lose out, they play @ Tennessee and at home against Indy.

I think the Home team on Christmas has a decided HFA and the Donks are struggling. I think I'll focus on Christmas and hope I wake up to find Santa has left me a Chiefs win and a Donks loss. If that happens Dec. 26th will be most interesting.

PhilFree :arrow:

elvomito
12-21-2004, 05:18 AM
but basically, if one of the other teams win, the chiefs are out? yep. so we need those other 3 teams to lose all of their remaining games

Andoverer
12-21-2004, 05:51 AM
but basically, if one of the other teams win, the chiefs are out? yep. so we need those other 3 teams to lose all of their remaining games

And we need to beat San Diego at their house. No easy feat this year.
Still, this is a pretty amazing possiblity to hear about since I thought our season was over in November.

BigMeatballDave
12-21-2004, 08:01 AM
No, he means that not one single team has played ALL of the others, in our case we haven't played Buffalo.... so they can't use a head-to-head tiebreaker.Hmmm...I thought the head-to-head was applied, regardless...

Thig Lyfe
12-21-2004, 08:45 AM
I told you fools! Chiefs SUPERBOWL '04!!!!

JimNasium
12-21-2004, 08:52 AM
Why you fools engage in this mental masturbation is beyond me.

ENDelt260
12-21-2004, 09:15 AM
Hmmm...I thought the head-to-head was applied, regardless...
How can you apply head-to-head to a team you didn't play?

Count Zarth
12-21-2004, 02:07 PM
Hope everyone saw this.

Ecto-I
12-21-2004, 02:27 PM
OMG. elvomito, your avitar is amazing...

ct
12-21-2004, 03:09 PM
I'm not entirely sure this is accurate, because Houston is also 6-8 alongside the Chiefs. If they win out, including this week @Jacksonville, they will have swept Jacksonville, so by the same logic for tie-breakers in the division as KC beating out Denver, Houston beats out Jacksonville. So now it's Buffalo, Baltimore, KC, and Houston. KC and Houston have identical 7-5 conference records. Houston beat KC head to head, so they get the last wild card. Basically, Houston has to lost to Cleveland the final week of the season to drop out of this tie-breaker. Hey, it could happen...

AirForceChief
12-21-2004, 05:36 PM

This post forced me to look at elvomito's avitar...at first glance all I heard was, "You are getting sleepy...sleepy...very sleepy." But then that changed to: "You are getting swoopy...swoopy..." Then: "You are getting swoody...very swoody...
And of course now all I hear is, "You are getting woody...a lot of woody!"

So what gives? :shake:

Wait, shut up!! That's a rehtorical (of course that's classic CP spellling) question!!

Count Zarth
12-21-2004, 05:45 PM
I'm not entirely sure this is accurate, because Houston is also 6-8 alongside the Chiefs. If they win out, including this week @Jacksonville, they will have swept Jacksonville, so by the same logic for tie-breakers in the division as KC beating out Denver, Houston beats out Jacksonville. So now it's Buffalo, Baltimore, KC, and Houston. KC and Houston have identical 7-5 conference records. Houston beat KC head to head, so they get the last wild card. Basically, Houston has to lost to Cleveland the final week of the season to drop out of this tie-breaker. Hey, it could happen...

Obviously for the scenario to work Houston has to lose to Cleveland after beating Jacksonville.

AirForceChief
12-21-2004, 05:49 PM
Obviously for the scenario to work Houston has to lose to Cleveland after beating Jacksonville.

You really shouldn't have to point stuff like this out :(

Bob Dole
12-21-2004, 05:59 PM
As long as Rich Scanlon is on the active roster, this team is in the hunt.

Frazod
12-21-2004, 05:59 PM
He's not quite dead, either.... :shake:

Seriously, we won't make the playoffs. Anybody carrying on this f#cking pipe dream needs to get a grip. Seriously. Any two of the games we absolutely gave away sealed our fate long ago.

Bob Dole
12-21-2004, 06:01 PM
Seriously, we won't make the playoffs. Anybody carrying on this f#cking pipe dream needs to get a grip. Seriously. Any two of the games we absolutely gave away sealed our fate long ago.

That's your opinion. We are all entitled to our own opinions.

Count Zarth
12-21-2004, 06:03 PM
He's not quite dead, either.... :shake:

It's fun to dream. I will be scoreboard watching. :)

ENDelt260
12-21-2004, 06:06 PM
That's your opinion. We are all entitled to our own opinions.
Bullshit. You're not even allowed to have an opinion. This isn't worth discussing.

I invoke the name of Rich Scanlon to close this thread.

Count Zarth
12-21-2004, 06:08 PM
Bullshit. You're not even allowed to have an opinion. This isn't worth discussing.

I invoke the name of Rich Scanlon to close this thread.

I cast Kawika Mitchell to counter Scanlon.

Inspector
12-21-2004, 06:19 PM

Hey, leave her alone.

...i want that.....

elvomito
12-21-2004, 09:26 PM
http://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showpost.php?p=2167012&postcount=73

there's plenty for all