PDA

View Full Version : Morris: Green is the man!

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-21-2004, 08:17 AM
Green Set to Join Elite QB Company, Chiefs RBs Keep Rolling Up Yards and TDs
Dec 21, 2004, 4:29:05 AM by Pete Moris

Green Set to Join Elite Company with Another Lofty Rating

Chiefs QB Trent Green has compiled a rating of 90.0 or higher the past two seasons and is seeking to become the only NFL signal caller to own an active streak of three straight 90.0-rating seasons. That’s a feat even Colts QB Peyton Manning can’t claim. Green posted a 92.6 mark in 2002 and 2003, while Manning was 88.8 in 2002 and 99.0 in 2003. Green owns a 99.1 rating in 2004. QB Len Dawson set the KC record of 101.9 in ‘66. Should Green finish the year at 90.0 for a third straight year, he’d become just the seventh QB in NFL history to accomplish that feat.

In fact, only two players in league annals own longer streaks than three seasons at 90.0 or better – Steve Young (8 – ‘91-98) and Brett Favre (4 – ‘94-97). Green could join an elite list of four QBs who had previously registered three-year streaks of 90.0 ratings: Joe Montana (’83-85), Dan Fouts (’81-83), Kurt Warner (’99-01) and Rich Gannon (’00-02). Interestingly, of the six aforementioned QBs, Fouts is the only individual not to own at least one NFL MVP Award.

More Amazing Numbers on Green, Raiders QBs at Arrowhead
Green has been particularly hot at home in 2004. In his last five starts at Arrowhead, he has completed 71.2% (111 of 156) of his passes for 1,471 yards, good for an average of 294.2 yards per game. In those five contests, he’s also compiled eight TDs, just two INTs and a 112.4 rating. In total, Green owns an 11-1 record at Arrowhead as KC’s starter when he compiles a passer rating of 100.0 or better. Last week, he had a season-high 155.4 rating vs. Denver (12/19). Green has registered seven games with a 100+ rating in 2004, the fourth-best tally in the NFL. KC also owns a 5-1 mark at home since 2002 when Green registers a 300-yard game.

The last Raiders QB other than Rich Gannon to guide his team to a win at Arrowhead was Jay Schroeder, who led the L.A. Raiders to a 27-17 victory (10/16/88). In six road starts for the Raiders in 2004, QB Kerry Collins owns a 2-4 record, completing 133 of 226 passes (58.8%) for 1,481 yards with six TDs and 12 INTs, good for a 65.2 rating. Although Collins does own a 1-0 record as a starter at Arrowhead, in a 13-3 Giants win vs. KC (9/23/01), he threw for just 208 yards, no TDs and three INTs, numbers that translated into a 39.8 rating.

Picking off Collins in a similar fashion once again would bode well for KC this week. Collins has thrown at least one INT in eight consecutive road losses dating back to 2002. In fact, Collins owns an 8-32 (.200) record as a starter in games when he throws two or more INTs, including a 3-20 (.130) mark on the road. Dating back to ‘95, KC is 26-3 (.897) at Arrowhead in games when the Chiefs defense collects two or more INTs, including last week’s 45-17 win vs. Denver (12/19).

Chiefs RBs Keep Hitting the End Zone at a Furious Clip
Dating back to the 2001 season, no NFL team has scored more rushing TDs than KC (102). In fact, KC has scored 32 more ground TDs over that span than second-place San Diego (70). While RB Priest Holmes accounted for 84.4% (27 of 32) of KC’s league-high rushing scores in 2003, injuries have forced the Chiefs to spread that scoring wealth in 2004. This season, KC once again leads the NFL with 28 rushing TDs thanks to a trio of talented backs who don’t need many totes to hit paydirt.

In fact, KC’s three backs all rank among the NFL’s top five this season in terms of the fewest carries necessary in order to hit the end zone among players with a minimum of 40 rushing attempts. RB Larry Johnson is second in the NFL in that area, averaging a ground TD once every 13.0 carries. Meanwhile, RB Priest Holmes (14.0) is fourth and RB Derrick Blaylock (14.8) is fifth. Johnson has scored five rushing TDs in his past three games, including TD runs of 41, 46 and 32 yards.

Over the past two seasons, KC has registered 60 rushing TDs, the second-best two-year team TD total in NFL history. Only the ‘61-62 Packers produced more rushing scores with 63. The Chiefs are tough to beat when they pile up rushing TDs in big bunches. Since 2001, KC owns a 14-4 record since 2001 in games with three or more rushing scores.

More Chiefs-Raiders Rushing Stats
In addition to TD proficiency, KC’s backs have also been productive in terms of piling up yards. The Chiefs are one of just two NFL teams (Denver is the other) to boast three different RBs who have produced at least one 100-yard rushing effort in 2004 – Holmes (5), Johnson (3) and Blaylock (1). The Chiefs have won six of their last seven games when producing an individual 100-yard rusher. In fact, Johnson owns three straight 100-yard outings and is seeking to become just the second player in KC annals to top the 100-yard mark in four straight contests. Holmes had five straight 100-yard games in 2002. Johnson also needs just 44 yards to give KC a trio of backs with 500+ rushing yards for the first time since ‘78. The Raiders have given up a 100-yard RB in four of their last five contests. Oakland is 3-13 (.188) when allowing a 100-yard back since last season, including a 1-7 mark on the road.

Since ‘90, the team with a rushing edge is 23-6 (.793) in Chiefs-Raiders contests. In KC’s last meeting with the Raiders, KC allowed a franchise-low nine rush attempts vs. Oakland (12/5) and permitted just 31 rushing yards, the club’s best tally since giving up 23 vs. Carolina (12/10/00). In that game, KC outgained the Raiders on the ground by a 129-yard margin (160 to 31) thanks to 118 yards from Johnson. In its nine losses in 2004, Oakland has averaged 68.3 rushing ypg, while allowing 160.1 ground ypg, a deficit of 91.8 rushing ypg, a trend the Chiefs would like to continue this week.

Pro Bowl TE Tony Gonzalez Just Keeps Going and Going . . .
Chiefs five-time Pro Bowl TE Tony Gonzalez continues his march up the charts as one of the elite players at his position in NFL history. Gonzalez, who recorded a career-high 1,203 receiving yards in 2000, has a team-high 990 receiving yards and needs just 10 more to become only the fifth TE in NFL history with multiple 1,000-yard receiving seasons, joining Kellen Winslow, Shannon Sharpe, Todd Christensen and Ozzie Newsome. In fact, Gonzalez only needs 104 more yards to pass Winslow (6,741) for the fourth-highest receiving yardage tally by a TE in NFL history.

Chiefs Chasing Numerous Single-Season Offensive Records
The Chiefs offense is on pace to challenge several team single-season records in 2004. Most notably, the club is on pace to finish the year with 388 first downs, a figure that would break the NFL record of 387 set by Miami in ‘84. At their current clip, the Chiefs would also shatter the franchise single-season record of 6,000 yards of total offense set in 2002.

Chiefs Seek to Sustain Arrowead Scoring Stats vs. Oakland
KC is 23-3 (.884) at Arrowhead when scoring 30 points or more dating back to ‘95, including a 3-1 mark in 2004. Defensively, keeping Oakland in the 21-point range would be a good omen since the Raiders have lost 10 consecutive games when they have been held to 21 points or less dating back to 2003, including eight of their nine losses in 2004. Since the start of the 2002 campaign, the Raiders are just 1-23 when they’ve scored 21 points or less. Dating back to ‘85, the Raiders are 1-14 at Arrowhead in the regular season and playoffs when being held to 21 points or less.

Turnovers Are Always a Factor at Arrowhead
KC is 36-4 (.900) at Arrowhead with a positive takeaway margin in regular season play dating back to ‘95. The Chiefs own a +18 turnover differential (39 takes/21 gives) over their last 20 regular season home games, owning a 16-4 (.800) mark in those contests. Last week, KC was +3 (3 takes/0 gives) in a 45-17 win vs. Denver (12/19). Oakland is 1-12 on the road with a negative turnover ratio dating back to 2001. The Raiders have been even or negative in all seven of their road games in 2004.

Saturdays at Arrowhead, 50-Game Rec. Streaks, Other Tidbits
KC is 3-0 in Saturday games at Arrowhead since ‘90, including a 10-6 win vs. the L.A. Raiders (12/28/91) in an AFC Wild Card contest … TE Tony Gonzalez (66 games) and WR Eddie Kennison (49 games) each need a catch this week to give KC a duo with active receiving streaks of 50 games for the first time in team history … KC needs a win vs. OAK to boast a .500 record or better against its division foes at Arrowhead for a 24th straight season. A win vs. the Raiders would also give KC an overall home record of .500 or better for 16th time in 17 seasons … KC is the only team that has not permitted an opponent to score a TD on a drive that started on KC’s side of the midfield stripe (49 yards or less) in 2004.

Gaz
12-21-2004, 08:20 AM
Green’s accomplishment is even more impressive when you consider his WRs.

xoxo~
Gaz
Gobsmacked.

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-21-2004, 08:23 AM
Green’s accomplishment is even more impressive when you consider his WRs.

xoxo~
Gaz
Gobsmacked.

Extremely, excessively true.

bobbything
12-21-2004, 08:33 AM
Quarterback ratings are the dumbest stat in the NFL.

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-21-2004, 08:34 AM
OK. Trent is still the man.

the Talking Can
12-21-2004, 08:36 AM
Green's rating is even more impressive when you consider he's carriee the worst D in the league on his back for 3 years.

Awesome.

Tuckdaddy
12-21-2004, 08:36 AM
He does not have the big arm but he makes up for it knowing where everyone is on the field. He finds the open man as well as anyone. Very accurate passer. Green can stay for a little while longer.

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-21-2004, 08:49 AM
You guys have convinced me. Trent Green is the greatest QB in the history of football.

jiveturkey
12-21-2004, 08:56 AM
In fact, Johnson owns three straight 100-yard outings and is seeking to become just the second player in KC annals to top the 100-yard mark in four straight contests. Holmes had five straight 100-yard games in 2002.

He's pretty good. :hmmm:

Chan93lx50
12-21-2004, 09:01 AM
And Taco John still says Plummer is a better QB than Green, go figure!

Hey were are all the cool stats on our D

Sure-Oz
12-21-2004, 09:39 AM
He def. is a QB that can lead us to the SB, now if we just get a defense it can happen!!!

chiefz
12-21-2004, 09:41 AM
And Taco John still says Plummer is a better QB than Green, go figure!

Hey were are all the cool stats on our D

Consider the source, there is a Donkey fan over at my place that says the same thing.

Of course after our defense (one of the worst in the league) made him their bitch Sunday I haven't seen him around much.

Go figure...

Frankie
12-21-2004, 09:48 AM
Link please. (I wanna send this article to my son)

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-21-2004, 09:50 AM
Link please. (I wanna send this article to my son)
www.kcchiefs.com

It's right on the front page, was the top story.

PunkinDrublic
12-21-2004, 09:59 AM
Trent Green is one of if not the toughest QBs to ever play for the chiefs. A lot of people forget that he has been playing hurt the last three weeks. The Chiefs are out of the playoffs so it would have been easy for Trent to sit out and call it a season. It's been a great pleasure watching him play and he will be missed when he retires.

Thig Lyfe
12-21-2004, 10:02 AM
Trent Green > Jake Plummer

It was so stupid when I think last night on MNCountdown they were talking about the pro bowl QBs. Not one mention of Trent Green, but Tome Jackson said Jake freakin' Plummer was a possibility.

:shake:

Talk about underrated and underappreciated.

donkhater
12-21-2004, 10:30 AM
That's because most people (even experts) wrongly catagorize the stat as a QB rating when it is actually a PASSER rating. It measures a QB's passing efficiency----NOTHING MORE.

It does not take into account the situations that those passes were thrown.

Is the QB always in the lead or does he do most of his best passing in the fourth quarter with the game on the line?

Does the QB make intelligent decisions like throwing the ball away instead of taking the sack (something Green needs to work on).

Does the QB run out of bounds or go for the first down marker?

Does he play through pain?

Do his teammates respect and follow him?

Does he fumble a lot (Culpepper)?

So just take it for what it is---a measure of how efficient of a passer the QB is.

bobbything
12-21-2004, 10:31 AM
It was so stupid when I think last night on MNCountdown they were talking about the pro bowl QBs. Not one mention of Trent Green, but Tome Jackson said Jake freakin' Plummer was a possibility.
I thought I heard that. My roommate said I had to have heard incorrectly.

Tom Jackson is the same guy that said last season that "The New England Patriots hate their coach."

Here's the numbers for Tommy Boy...

Plummer
Completion Percentage: 57%
Yards: 3540
TD's: 23
INT's: 19
Passes of 20+ Yards: 46
Passes of 40+ Yards: 8

Green
Completion Percentage: 66%
Yards: 3860
TD's: 24
INT's: 12
Passes of 20+ Yards: 51

If you look at the numbers, there's no comparison.

Frankie
12-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Plummer
Completion Percentage: 57%
Yards: 3540
TD's: 23
INT's: 19
Passes of 20+ Yards: 46

Green
Completion Percentage: 66%
Yards: 3860
TD's: 24
INT's: 12
Passes of 20+ Yards: 51

If you look at the numbers, there's no comparison.

Oh I beg to differ. There IS a comparison.

In which Jake really pales.... :p

Chiefs Pantalones
12-21-2004, 03:11 PM
Trent is the man. Plummer is just terrible.

Count Alex's Losses
12-21-2004, 03:13 PM
Dammit, why do we always have to see which QB has the bigger dick? This is getting annoying. I suppose if Taco would leave it alone, so would we.

He'll just tell you that Trent is average and would look like crap behind the Broncos offensive line.

Thig Lyfe
12-21-2004, 03:17 PM
Trent is the man. Plummer is just terrible.

Which is why that Tom Jackson comment irked me. Green gets no respect.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-21-2004, 03:19 PM
Dammit, why do we always have to see which QB has the bigger dick? This is getting annoying. I suppose if Taco would leave it alone, so would we.

He'll just tell you that Trent is average and would look like crap behind the Broncos offensive line.

Who said anything about their dongs?

Sicko meatpeaker. ROFL

Count Alex's Losses
12-21-2004, 03:21 PM
Who said anything about their dongs?

Sicko meatpeaker. ROFL

You know what I mean. No one is comparing Casey Wiegmann and Tom Nalen every week.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-21-2004, 03:23 PM
Which is why that Tom Jackson comment irked me. Green gets no respect.

I wouldn't pay attention to Tom "the man is alive and kicking in the NFL and he's bringing us blacks down!!!" Jackson. Of course he's gonna take up a player on his former team, no matter how much that player sucks.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-21-2004, 03:25 PM
You know what I mean. No one is comparing Casey Wiegmann and Tom Nalen every week.

IIRC, I haven't been on this BB consistently in awhile, but don't Bronco fans start the Trent vs. Jake debate more than Chiefs fans? Correct me if I'm wrong...

Ecto-I
12-21-2004, 03:31 PM
Does the QB make intelligent decisions like throwing the ball away instead of taking the sack (something Green needs to work on).

I used to agree with you, however Green's propensity to hold onto the ball has also led to some big plays which wouldn't have occured had he thrown the ball away as he maybe should have. Grbac used to throw the ball away all the time, but he rarely made as many big plays as Trent. I think the big plays outway the sacks.

Ultra Peanut
12-21-2004, 03:37 PM
Does the QB make intelligent decisions like throwing the ball away instead of taking the sack (something Green needs to work on).What, did I fall into a wormhole and pop back into 2001?

Count Alex's Losses
12-21-2004, 03:37 PM
IIRC, I haven't been on this BB consistently in awhile, but don't Bronco fans start the Trent vs. Jake debate more than Chiefs fans? Correct me if I'm wrong...

Anytime Trent Green is mentioned anywhere on either board the inevitable debate starts.

donkhater
12-21-2004, 03:41 PM
What, did I fall into a wormhole and pop back into 2001?
Maybe. I don't think anyone can deny Trent has been sacked much more often this year than before. If not it sure seems like it.

I know I just remember thinking on numerous occasions this year that he held onto the ball far longer than he should have and has taken the sack and/or a fumble resulted.

Maybe it's bad play design. I'm sure the talent at WR has something to do with it as well, but looking for those big plays all the time comes with a price.

Logical
12-21-2004, 04:11 PM
Maybe. I don't think anyone can deny Trent has been sacked much more often this year than before. If not it sure seems like it.

I know I just remember thinking on numerous occasions this year that he held onto the ball far longer than he should have and has taken the sack and/or a fumble resulted.

Maybe it's bad play design. I'm sure the talent at WR has something to do with it as well, but looking for those big plays all the time comes with a price.

Not really that big a difference

28 sacks this year
20 sacks last year

Mitigated by the loss of Tait who despite what some people thought was really a pretty darn good right tackle, especially when it came to pass blocking.

Thig Lyfe
12-21-2004, 04:12 PM
Not really that big a difference

28 sacks this year
20 sacks last year

Mitigated by the loss of Tait who despite what some people thought was really a pretty darn good right tackle, especially when it came to pass blocking.

Hasn't he had a pretty bad year this year? Tait?

Logical
12-21-2004, 04:20 PM
Hasn't he had a pretty bad year this year? Tait?

I have no idea, he is playing on a team with lousy QBs and I have not paid any attention to them at all.

HemiEd
12-21-2004, 04:46 PM
I have no idea, he is playing on a team with lousy QBs and I have not paid any attention to them at all.
My first post, a newbee! I am a Chiefs fan in Chicago, the reason that the Bears QBs suck is that the OLine has gotten them killed. Tait is part of that, in my opinion he was the fifth best lineman on the Chiefs.

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-21-2004, 04:51 PM
My first post, a newbee! I am a Chiefs fan in Chicago, the reason that the Bears QBs suck is that the OLine has gotten them killed. Tait is part of that, in my opinion he was the fifth best lineman on the Chiefs.
I would agree with that. Why the Bears made him the top paid O lineman in the NFL....beyond me. That's what makes them the Bears I guess.

btw...welcome noob. Always nice to talk to another Chiefs fan. You should start a thread to introduce yourself. Have some rep to get you started too....since your first post was a good one.

:thumb:

HemiEd
12-21-2004, 04:57 PM
I would agree with that. Why the Bears made him the top paid O lineman in the NFL....beyond me. That's what makes them the Bears I guess.

btw...welcome noob. Always nice to talk to another Chiefs fan. You should start a thread to introduce yourself. Have some rep to get you started too....since your first post was a good one.

:thumb:
Thanks for the welcome, I will try and figure out how to do that. I have been a Chiefs fanatic since 69. The day will come when they are holding the trophy again. This is the most fun team to watch that they have ever had!

Deberg_1990
12-21-2004, 05:16 PM
Too bad he has 1 playoff start and ZERO playoffs wins. Mainly due to one of the worst defensive units ever to set foot on an NFL football field the past 3 years.

andoman
12-21-2004, 05:35 PM
I used to agree with you, however Green's propensity to hold onto the ball has also led to some big plays which wouldn't have occured had he thrown the ball away as he maybe should have. Grbac used to throw the ball away all the time, but he rarely made as many big plays as Trent. I think the big plays outway the sacks.

Actually, Grbac would role to his right and then sometimes throw it away, sometimes he'd take the sack instead. :banghead:

Deberg_1990
12-21-2004, 05:41 PM
Actually, Grbac would role to his right and then sometimes throw it away, sometimes he'd take the sack instead. :banghead:

That might be more of the philoshpy of the "West Coast" offense as well. They are preached to throw the ball away if nothing is there. Dont take unnessarry chances. Its meant to be a highly efficient, short, pass offense. Vermiel/Saunders/Martz/Coryell ball is more of a take a chance high risk/high reward passing attack.

Thig Lyfe
12-21-2004, 06:08 PM
Too bad he has 1 playoff start and ZERO playoffs wins. Mainly due to one of the worst defensive units ever to set foot on an NFL football field the past 3 years.

That's a stat that needs to change if he wants to be considered a great one. Certainly if he wants to improve any ROH or HOF chances.

FringeNC
12-21-2004, 08:38 PM
If someone had told me that Green would have a QB rating of 100 at this point in the season, and that we'd be 6-8, I wouldn't have believed you.

It's almost as bad as the Broncos having a top 5 offense and defense and probably not making the playoffs...it's hard to do.

Deberg_1990
12-21-2004, 08:49 PM
If someone had told me that Green would have a QB rating of 100 at this point in the season, and that we'd be 6-8, I wouldn't have believed you.

It's almost as bad as the Broncos having a top 5 offense and defense and probably not making the playoffs...it's hard to do.

Thats because their Qb has a rating somewhere around..oh.....50 or so....hahah

Count Alex's Losses
12-21-2004, 08:50 PM
Thats because their Qb has a rating somewhere around..oh.....50 or so....hahah

80.8 and Plummeting.

CHIEF4EVER
12-22-2004, 12:26 AM
80.8 and Plummeting.

ROFL So true and oh so deliciously funny. :thumb: