PDA

View Full Version : PhD for gochiefs

Over-Head
12-21-2004, 01:24 PM
http://sympatico.msn.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2004/12/20/Arts/trek041219.html

ROFL ROFL :thumb:

University offers course in 'Star Trek'
Last Updated Tue, 21 Dec 2004 09:34:49 EST
DECATUR, ILL. - A university in Decatur, Ill., is offering a course in Star Trek, the long-running series of television shows and movies.

Called The Multidisciplinary Worlds of Star Trek, the full-credit course will be taught at Millikin University by Dr. Michael O'Conner during the school's winter break.

William Shatner starred as James Kirk in the original 'Star Trek' series. (AP photo)
"This class will boldly go where no one has gone before, as we explore the lore, politics, philosophy, groundbreaking multiculturalism and historical contexts of the popular science fiction series and phenomenon known as Star Trek," the school's course calendar boasts.

"It's a way to discuss a lot of academic topics using Star Trek as a focus or a lens," O'Conner told the Herald & Review, a local paper.

"It's going to be great fun, I think."

Star Trek first aired on TV in 1966. The original series starred Montreal's William Shatner as James T. Kirk, captain of the starship Enterprise.

It has since turned into one of the most enduring entertainment properties, spawning an additional five shows, including a short-lived cartoon series and Enterprise, which currently airs on UPN in the U.S. and the CHUM family of stations in Canada.

There have also been 10 Star Trek feature films.

The homework assignments for students in O'Conner's course will be to watch selected episodes from the various shows.

He plans to use them as a bellwether for discussing changes in American society.

In the original series, for example, female crewmembers wore skimpy skirts as uniforms. By contrast, the Voyager series debuted in 1995 with a female starship captain played by Kate Mulgrew.

Another topic for class discussion will be the "prime directive," the rule dictating that Starfleet officers must not interfere in the development of alien cultures.

O'Conner will bring up Kirk's constant violations of the prime directive, in addition to relating the concept to current U.S. foreign policy.

Written by CBC News Online staff

Saulbadguy
12-21-2004, 01:26 PM
::shudder::

I hate it when people say i'm a "Star Trek" fan. Its Star WARS, god damnit.

Actually, I don't know if GoBret likes Star Trek or not.

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-21-2004, 01:27 PM
I'd love to make fun of GoChiefs/Username/JBret for being a Star Wars geek.....if I didn't have a room in my house dedicated to KISS and The Chiefs.

:)

Rain Man
12-21-2004, 01:27 PM
And people wonder why the U.S. is cutting-edge.

There used to be an NFL receiver from Milliken. Fast white guy, back in the 80s. Jeff Query? Don Beebe? Anyone remember? The guy would've never gotten a look by scouts except that he could run the 40 like a jackrabbit.

Braincase
12-21-2004, 01:46 PM
I'd love to make fun of GoChiefs/Username/JBret for being a Star Wars geek.....if I didn't have a room in my house dedicated to KISS and The Chiefs.

:)

Phobia
12-21-2004, 01:49 PM
I hate it when people say i'm a "Star Trek" fan. Its Star WARS, god damnit.

What the hell is the difference, anyway? Jeesh.

Count Zarth
12-21-2004, 02:05 PM
What the hell is the difference, anyway? Jeesh.

There's a huge difference. I'm not going to explain it, though. I'll just say this: Star Trek is Science Fiction. Star Wars is Science Fantasy.

I would love to take that class.

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-21-2004, 02:09 PM
I love that picture. It used to be the background on my 'puter. It was probably you I lifted it from. If so, thanks.

:thumb:

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-21-2004, 02:10 PM
There's a huge difference. I'm not going to explain it, though. I'll just say this: Star Trek is Science Fiction. Star Wars is Science Fantasy.

Fantasy..........Fiction............. :hmmm:

From here they look like the same thing....

shades of gray at best.

Demonpenz
12-21-2004, 03:06 PM
Star wars has always been for kids. Star trek is aimed at adults.

Count Zarth
12-21-2004, 03:07 PM

You are a dumbass.

Donger
12-21-2004, 03:09 PM

You've never been laid, have you?

Count Zarth
12-21-2004, 03:10 PM
Fantasy..........Fiction............. :hmmm:

From here they look like the same thing....

shades of gray at best.

There's a huge difference man. The Star Wars universe doesn't even deal with the human race as we know it. The Star Trek universe does...there's earth and all that crap.

The Star Trek universe is dependent mostly on technology. The Star Wars Universe is dependent on technology, but relies on it to a lesser degree (less "technobabble"), and has more mythology woven into it.

I was a Star Trek fan long before I was a Star Wars fan.

Iowanian
12-21-2004, 03:11 PM

I always thought they were both mostly aimed at Adults, who weren't likely to have kids...........

Count Zarth
12-21-2004, 03:11 PM
You've never been laid, have you?

Counselor Troi gave me a hummer once.

http://mario.lapam.mo.it/tng/gifs/deanna.jpg

Demonpenz
12-21-2004, 03:13 PM
I always thought they were both mostly aimed at Adults, who weren't likely to have kids...........

My brainy side of me loved jar jar

Over-Head
12-22-2004, 02:46 AM
Counselor Troi gave me a hummer once.

http://mario.lapam.mo.it/tng/gifs/deanna.jpg

That was a great holo deck dream...then when ya woke up, you suddenly realised, "OH SHIT! Thats as close as I ever came to having REAL sex".. :evil:

RNR
12-22-2004, 06:30 AM
When I was a kid I liked Star Trek, and I enjoyed the two Star Wars movies I watched. I may see some of the other Star Wars movies on cable some day. In my life I have been around one Star Trek freak, and one Star Wars freak.

There was a kid who grew up near us who wore Star Trek outfits. I never understood his deal, we were all playing sports chasing girls, and he was running around in this Trek shit :shake: I felt sorry for him, but he was one strange guy.

The other is gochiefs, and I don't understand his deal. He reminds me of the other guy, young and should be dating girls, instead dressing like a drone or whatever. The main difference is I never heard the kid I grew up with talk about hurting animals or thinking it was cool when people die. I guess Trek fans are wierd but nice :hmmm: