12-21-2004, 03:50 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2004/12/21/qa_with_dick_vermeil/

jiveturkey
12-21-2004, 03:51 PM
Another wasted draft pick.

Damn it Carl!!! :cuss:

htismaqe
12-21-2004, 03:53 PM
Q: Why is it so hard to find an effective, consistent punter?

VERMEIL: “Because they come work for me. I never have very good luck with punters. The other guy (Jason Baker) we had punt against us the other day. In fact, he made a tackle on the punt return that we would have scored on if we had blocked him. Hopefully, this guy will be able to do a good job and earn the right to punt for a few years here.”

He took the words right out of my mouth.

Cochise
12-21-2004, 03:54 PM
Another wasted draft pick.

Damn it Carl!!! :cuss:

Since we traded that pick, wasn't it "pissed away"?

shaneo69
12-21-2004, 03:55 PM

Titus?

jiveturkey
Since we traded that pick, wasn't it "pissed away"?Right you are.

Sorry about that.

ENDelt260
There's a couple good chuckles in this one...

VERMEIL: “Oh yeah, I call them interceptions and contraceptions.

ENDelt260
12-21-2004, 03:56 PM
Was it a conditional pick?

Wonder if cutting him now prevents said pissing away...

Saulbadguy
12-21-2004, 03:56 PM
Matt Payne, here we come!

Cochise
12-21-2004, 03:58 PM
I am going to go down to the local junior high school and start punting footballs, I think I could deal with making the league minimum for the better part of a year and then getting cut in week 15.

Count Zarth
12-21-2004, 03:59 PM
Q: Would you be disappointed if he does not make the Pro Bowl?

VERMEIL: “I would be disappointed if he’s not in the Pro Bowl along with Will Roaf and Will Shields. Personally, I think both guards and our left tackle and tight end make the Pro Bowl. I think we would be very competitive at the quarterback position. But our win-loss record could hurt there. I think (Green) belongs in it but it could hurt. If they went by quarterback efficiency ratings in the AFC he would make it as of today. But it’s going to be tough. I don’t think anybody on defense has a shot.

ROFL

ENDelt260
12-21-2004, 04:00 PM
“Someone at our Christmas party last night asked what kind of attributes did you need to be a kick returner. Well, most kick returners I’ve been around fade after the second or third year. They start declining in performance because the thing that it takes other than the ability to run is courage. You get hit so many times you just aren’t as good as you used to be. Dante Hall, to me, right now is better than he’s ever been. He’s attacking coverage people with more aggression, more violence in mind for a little guy. I mean, he is determined and it takes tremendous courage to do that when you know you’ve got 10 guys and a kicker coming down there who would like to hit you and as often as they can.

Heh. A kicker is not a man.

Count Zarth
12-21-2004, 04:04 PM
“Our wedge last year was outstanding. Donald Willis was an outstanding wedge guy. He was the point man, the big steamroller and it all centered on him. But we lost Donald Willis and we’ve never able to put a wedge back together like the wedge we had last year. So, we put T-Rich back there and he was actually part of the wedge going away from the kickoff return for the touchdown. Quinton Caver is playing 75-80 snaps a game now. He was starting but he likes to play. With our championship team with the Rams we had London Fletcher and Mike Jones, two linebackers, playing a lot of special teams. They like to play and they loved it.”

That is the main reason I wanted to keep him. Who knows if Dante had broken a couple early in the year what difference it would have made?

shaneo69
12-21-2004, 04:05 PM
That is the main reason I wanted to keep him. Who knows if Dante had broken a couple early in the year what difference it would have made?

I don't think we cut him. I think he's on IR.

Count Zarth
12-21-2004, 04:05 PM

Well poo.

ROYC75
12-21-2004, 04:14 PM
That position will always be a problem while DV is here.

Deberg_1990
12-21-2004, 04:15 PM
YEA!!! Micha Knorr???

Rain Man
12-21-2004, 04:15 PM
“When I saw the kick, the first thing I said was I’ve seen that before (kicker Jason Baker used to kick for the Chiefs). I did. Low and it’ll get there quick and you have a shot. Then bang it broke.

Meee-ow.

DeepSouth
12-21-2004, 04:18 PM
I like this answer when asked about the offense. It is pretty impressive that they never used a draft pick on the offense to make it what it is. Too bad they couldn't do the same for the defense;

VERMEIL: “No. I’m pleased that there’s an area where our football team has been extremely strong. I think it’s a great reflection on our personnel department, our coaching staff and our players because you stop and think the quarterback wasn’t here, the running backs weren’t here, the left tackle wasn’t here, the left guard wasn’t playing, the center wasn’t here, the wide receivers weren’t here. We rebuilt it into a number one caliber offense without using a draft choice.”

Deberg_1990
12-21-2004, 04:22 PM
I like this answer when asked about the offense. It is pretty impressive that they never used a draft pick on the offense to make it what it is. Too bad they couldn't do the same for the defense;

VERMEIL: “No. I’m pleased that there’s an area where our football team has been extremely strong. I think it’s a great reflection on our personnel department, our coaching staff and our players because you stop and think the quarterback wasn’t here, the running backs weren’t here, the left tackle wasn’t here, the left guard wasn’t playing, the center wasn’t here, the wide receivers weren’t here. We rebuilt it into a number one caliber offense without using a draft choice.”

I beg to differ! What about Omar Easy?? Hes the glue that holds this offense together!!!

Skip Towne

Uh...didn't we trade a #1 pick for Greene?

royr17
Thank God im still pissed at DV for letting Todd Sauerbrun go.

SBK
12-21-2004, 04:24 PM
Upon hearing the news of Cheeks release, duck hunters nationwide are waiting to see where the dead ducks will be flying in the future.

penchief
12-21-2004, 05:14 PM
Was it a conditional pick?

Wonder if cutting him now prevents said pissing away...

I believe it was a conditional pick based on playing time. When he went on the injured list earlier in the season I believe some wondered if that would serve to help us keep our draft pick.

Chieficus
12-21-2004, 05:16 PM
Q: What changed your mind?

VERMEIL: “Steve just didn’t punt well in the ball game Sunday. I just ran out of patience. Sooner or later you’ve got to start punting the ball well and consistently. He was fighting it. He has a good leg but he just can’t do it consistently. Sunday was a low for him and it was just obvious that he had run out of time.”

I find this to be truly amazing. The guy has no patience for punters...he'll slice and dice them faster than an Iron Chef will a slab of cod...

Yet, doggonit, that (insert worthless defensive player's name here) is just a high character guy who needs more time...

Then again... I guess punters don't carry the cap hit, so let's make the example out of them!!! Yeah, see that Bartee, we cut Steve Cheek...you better watch it!!!

penchief
12-21-2004, 05:21 PM
Thank God im still pissed at DV for letting Todd Sauerbrun go.

I don't think you can be pissed at DV based on Sauerbrun's performance. Seems to me, he stunk it up just like any kicker or punter we've had for almost ever. Nick Lowery and Jim Arnold are the last two competent kickers we've had, IMO.

Count Zarth
12-21-2004, 05:23 PM
Seems to me, he stunk it up just like any kicker or punter we've had for almost ever.

I'm telling you, it's Arrowhead. Especially in November and December. Cold-weather is murder on kickers here.

BigVE
12-21-2004, 05:32 PM
Soooo.....who is our punter now? Knorr?

Chieficus
12-21-2004, 05:33 PM
Soooo.....who is our punter now? Knorr?

DICK VERMEIL: “First order of business, we released Steve Cheek today and signed a punter that had been punting for the Ravens while their punter was injured. Nick Murphy. He was the leading punter in the NFLEL last year and has some experience. We brought him in last week and worked him out. He’ll be here tonight or tomorrow morning.”

2bikemike
12-21-2004, 05:35 PM
I find this to be truly amazing. The guy has no patience for punters...he'll slice and dice them faster than an Iron Chef will a slab of cod...

Yet, doggonit, that (insert worthless defensive player's name here) is just a high character guy who needs more time...

Then again... I guess punters don't carry the cap hit, so let's make the example out of them!!! Yeah, see that Bartee, we cut Steve Cheek...you better watch it!!!

You beat me to it. DV has all the patience in the world for the Kawika Mitchells and Bartees. But if your a kicker you suck your gone.

BigVE
12-21-2004, 05:43 PM
DICK VERMEIL: “First order of business, we released Steve Cheek today and signed a punter that had been punting for the Ravens while their punter was injured. Nick Murphy. He was the leading punter in the NFLEL last year and has some experience. We brought him in last week and worked him out. He’ll be here tonight or tomorrow morning.”

Thank you.

Bob Dole
12-21-2004, 05:47 PM
I'm telling you, it's Arrowhead. Especially in November and December. Cold-weather is murder on kickers here.

True.

It was much warmer when Baker punted last Sunday.

Cheating damned donkeys!

nascher
12-21-2004, 06:26 PM
lol take a look at Moorman in Buffalo

Dartgod
12-21-2004, 06:36 PM
Nick Murphy

Year Team G No Yards Lg Avg Blk I20 TB PNTDN Ret Ret Yds Ret TD Net Avg
2004 Baltimore Ravens 3 18 777 54 43.2 0 6 2 9 79 0 36.6

Steve Cheek

2004 Kansas City Chiefs 12 42 1643 55 39.1 0 8 6 18 197 1 31.6

Jason Baker

2003 Kansas City Chiefs 16 80 3156 68 39.5 0 21 7 38 327 1 33.2

Count Zarth
12-21-2004, 06:55 PM
Nick Murphy

2004 Baltimore Ravens 3 18 777 54 43.2 0 6 2 9 79 0 36.6

Steve Cheek

2004 Kansas City Chiefs 12 42 1643 55 39.1 0 8 6 18 197 1 31.6

Jason Baker

2003 Kansas City Chiefs 16 80 3156 68 39.5 0 21 7 38 327 1 33.2

Yeah Cheek had good #'s before he came to Punter's Hell too.

Nick Murphy is a cool name for a punter, though.

Bowser
12-21-2004, 08:08 PM

Is it IR? I think he was on the PUP list the first eight weeks of the season, then got an injury settlement and was released? I could be wrong.....

Deberg_1990
12-21-2004, 08:13 PM

IM starting to believe this as well.....does that mean we can finally forgive Lin Elliott now???

Count Zarth
12-21-2004, 08:21 PM
IM starting to believe this as well.....does that mean we can finally forgive Lin Elliott now???

I mean punters. We've had field goal kickers do just fine here.

WHY DID YOU MENTION THAT NAME! :cuss:

Fat Elvis
12-21-2004, 08:56 PM
http://mb2.scout.com/fravensinsiderfrm1.showMessage?topicID=24791.topic

Raven's fans seem to think Murphy is a pretty good punter...

cdcox
12-21-2004, 10:56 PM
Has anyone informed Vermeil that Holliday, Mitchell, Bartee, and Woods are all punters too?

Its true. I swear.

Rausch
12-21-2004, 10:57 PM
Has anyone informed Vermeil that Holliday, Mitchell, Bartee, and Woods are all punters too?

Its true. I swear.

I'll bet you my left testicle Bartee is a better punter than corner...

alanm
12-22-2004, 02:12 AM
Thank God im still pissed at DV for letting Todd Sauerbrun go.The problem was just the reverse with Sauerbrun. He consistantly outkicked the coverage unit. Which in essense is just as bad as having no hang time. :(

Logical
12-22-2004, 02:40 AM
The problem was just the reverse with Sauerbrun. He consistantly outkicked the coverage unit. Which in essense is just as bad as having no hang time. :(

I always thought that was a stupid concept. If you have poor coverage people you do not let your punter go to compensate. He has certainly done well ever since we let him go, so obviously the problem was our coverage units and not his punting ability.

Chiefs Pantalones
12-22-2004, 02:45 AM
I always thought that was a stupid concept. If you have poor coverage people you do not let your punter go to compensate. He has certainly done well ever since we let him go, so obviously the problem was our coverage units and not his punting ability.

I agree. It was obviously the coverage units that were bad because Todd has been to what, 3 or 4 pro bowls since we let him go? DV even said a couple years ago that he made a mistake by letting Sauerbraun go.

Logical
12-22-2004, 02:51 AM
I agree. It was obviously the coverage units that were bad because Todd has been to what, 3 or 4 pro bowls since we let him go? DV even said a couple years ago that he made a mistake by letting Sauerbraun go.

I just looked up his stats from that season, he averaged 44.6 yards per punt and a net average of 35.8 (almost as good as Cheeks total yard avg). In addition he killed 28 of 82 punts inside the 20 yard line. He also had no problem with the cold temperatures for his punts or kickoffs. In fact he averaged 62.6 yards per kickoff. Big, big mistake letting him go.

Skip Towne
12-22-2004, 07:01 AM
I'll bet you my left testicle Bartee is a better punter than corner...
I'll bet he is a better concert pianist than corner.

Dartgod
12-22-2004, 07:11 AM
I just looked up his stats from that season, he averaged 44.6 yards per punt and a net average of 35.8 (almost as good as Cheeks total yard avg). In addition he killed 28 of 82 punts inside the 20 yard line. He also had no problem with the cold temperatures for his punts or kickoffs. In fact he averaged 62.6 yards per kickoff. Big, big mistake letting him go.
DAMMIT, CARL!! :cuss: