PDA

View Full Version : Desperate Measures

DoktorSmith
11-15-2000, 02:38 PM
Okay, we all know that this team will remain essentially unchanged until the end of the season. There may be a few cosmetic changes and a couple of misguided decisions [Alexander at KR, for example], but major changes will not happen during the season. That's unfortunate, because this teams needs a shake-up in the worst way. In the spirit of armchair HCs everywhere, here are the changes I would make before Sunday's game:

· Fire Stock immediately and appoint the Captain of ST to call the coverage and returns.
KR & PR: Hall and Lockett.
· Fire Schottenheimer immediately and assume the DC duties from the field, switching back to bump & run, crush the QB Defense.
DL: Hicks, Clemons, Martin and Browning.
LBs: Edwards, Maslowski and Patton.
CBs: Hasty with Bartee and Dennis in alternating series.
Ss: Woods and Wesley.
· Tell Raye to move the stinking ball and then get out of the way of the Offense.
QB: Grbac.
FB: Richardson.
HB: Moreau & Cloud in alternating series.
WRs: Morris, Alexander and Ricks.
TE: Gonzalez.

Speak up, armchair HCs, what changes would you make immediately that could improve this team immediately?

xoxo~
gaz
playing the rookies and booting the Stooges.<BR>

bishop_74
11-15-2000, 02:48 PM
gaz, I like all of it except for the alternating HB. Feature one and alternate games maybe, until a front runner emerges.

I'd also consider blitzing on every down just for fun.

[This message has been edited by mlyonsd (edited 11-15-2000).]

TEX
11-15-2000, 02:51 PM
GAZ,

I think I agree with most of that. I'd like to see some of the young linemen(alford, waters) if we're going in that direction.

I think I'd like to see the HB rotated by half instead of series....Moreau 1st half(bigger, possible wear on the line, if utilized of course) and Cloud in the 2nd.

Go Chiefs
11-15-2000, 02:51 PM
Looks good to me Gaz, except...

I don't know enough about Ricks to agree there. I would go with Locket along with Morris and Alexander. He NEVER drops the ball.

Then, I would leave Cloud in there until he pukes and then try Frank. These guys need 25-30 touches and Cloud could do it with that number.<P>

Gracie Dean
11-15-2000, 03:00 PM
I agree with nearly everything except CB by committee. My arguments are for the same reasons as RBBC. Rhythm, system familiarization, learning & earning trust with the rest of your unit, chemistry, learning the WR's moves as the game progresses, etc.

DoktorSmith
11-15-2000, 03:06 PM
WisChief-

I also like Lockett, but I expect him to test the FA waters. We need to find out if Ricks can thrive in red & gold. He has the size and speed we are looking for, but his hands are rumored to be less than reliable. We know what Lockett can do, let's find out about Ricks before the off-season.

xoxo~
gaz
ready to field-test some players.<BR>

rkucera
11-15-2000, 03:08 PM
I like your ideas with a few minor exceptions. Firing the coordinators is a given.
At RB, give the ball to one of the two for the majority of the carries with the other only spelling the starter when he needs a breather(like a real NFL team).
At CB, stick with Dennis and change the damn scheme. I don't think the problem is with Dennis it's with the scheme. Soft zones suck.
I think we can be good in the middle with McGlockton and Williams, we just need someone who can instill some discipline. Discipline for not jumping offsides and not coming up the field so hard on every play. They need to maintain their positions especially against mobile QB's.
I'm not sold on Rihks(sp?). Of course, we've never seen him in our offense but whose couting anyway. Lockett knows our system and does have good hands as mentioned below.
All of this is, obviously, MHO. http://63.249.247.210/ubb/cool.gif

[This message has been edited by nmt1 (edited 11-15-2000).]

Go Chiefs
11-15-2000, 03:11 PM
Gaz, true! That is why it is so damn important to stick with one RB until he drops! Alot of people keep saying that Cloud can not do it (too small, scat back, blah, blah). I have a hard time agreeing with these people simply because we have not seen enough of him to know. Like Horn before him, I too expect Locket to bolt away. I also expect Cloud to do the same when his time is up. Hopefully neither of them will go to an AFC West team.

DoktorSmith
11-15-2000, 03:22 PM
Isn't anyone going to tell me that I cannot fire two Coordinators during the season? Cite the total chaos and disruption of authority that would follow such a draconian action?

xoxo~
gaz
surprised to find no opposition to a drastic move.<BR>

bishop_74
11-15-2000, 03:23 PM
Let's put it to a vote.

Go Chiefs
11-15-2000, 03:29 PM
Oh hell, I didn't realize that those bozo's were actually coordinators??? Ahhh, what the hell - ditch 'em! http://63.249.247.210/ubb/biggrin.gif<BR>

milkman
11-15-2000, 03:33 PM
Gaz - They are already in chaos. They look like they are standing around saying to themselves do I cover the run, the pass, the screen, the RB, and that is just the special teams.

Mi_chief_fan
11-16-2000, 11:05 AM
Gaz,

I mentioned this several times in the off-season with regards to Kurt S. He is elgible for NFL pension for the required 15 years of service after this season. Your stuck with him for at least 6 more games!

We also talked many times in the off-season about the defensive line being able to apply pressure to the QB being the key to our defensive fortunes. Without Hicks, we have no pressure, and our defense suffers. With Hicks, Clemons, Chet, and Dan all are much more effective. That in turn has made our whole defense much more effective. (Can you say Hicks for defensive MVP on the Chiefs) hicks is due back this week, so I expect our defensive performance to be due back Sunday also, Kurt or no Kurt.

On offense, Moreau has had 7 opportunities this season to convert on 3rd and 1 or 3rd and 2. He has failed on 4 of those tries. Everyone else, including Cloud has converted nearly every time, Richardson being the lone exception. This could be why Moreau is on the inactive list.

Although I am convinced it ain't going to happen, Cloud needs to be given the ball 120 to 150 times the remainder of the season.

We have the potential to go to the playoffs this season (remember, we could have been 7 and 1 real easy to open the season), and with no real clear favorite stepping up in the AFC, once in, we might fare well in the playoffs.

It's not to late. If the defensive line pressure returns with Hicks, and the running game is given a chance to succeed, I believe this could still be a great season.

Mi_chief_fan
11-16-2000, 11:11 AM
Forgot to mention Browning in the defensive line. Sorry!

Mi_chief_fan
11-16-2000, 12:44 PM
Gaz?

Cannibal
11-16-2000, 12:48 PM
What should be done immediately (should have been done weeks ago):

1. Gunther to call the defense;
2. Hall as KR/PR.
3. Cloud as HB.
4. Implement more outside running plays and draws to utilize Cloud's strengths.
5. Warfield replaces Dennis and we bump and run.
6. Send a scout to S. America and find a god damned field goal kicker.
7. Add Joe Delaney to the ring of fame.
8. Sign Gonzalez to a long term contract extension.
9. Play Alford on the OL.
10. Ultra aggressive special teams - onside kicks, fake field goals (we can't hit them anyway), punt blocking packages, etc.
11. If you think a player is dogging it, high priced veteran or not, bench him.

DoktorSmith
11-16-2000, 01:34 PM
Coogs-

Sadly, I do not share your optimism for this season. The ineptitude of the Coordinators is simply too overpowering for our players. My suggestions for immediate changes would still not get us to the playoffs, IMO, but they would illustrate beyond a reasonable doubt where the problems are with this team.

Hicks will make our pass rush better, but we wills still be playing that obscene zone Defense that Schottenheimer loves so much. We will not be playing Chiefs Defense. IMO, our Defense will not improve as long as Schottenheimer is DC. Gunther needs to fire him ASAP and take over the D.

I don't think any HB is going to shine behind our devastated OL. Be it Cloud or Moreau, the idea would be to see if either of them will be a suitable backup for the FA HB we obtain in the off-season.

xoxo~
gaz
pessimistic.<BR>

Mi_chief_fan
11-16-2000, 01:55 PM
Gaz,

Fair enough! I, for one, was impressed with our defense in the early games with Hicks, Clemons, Browning, Chet, and Dan applying pressure. That group is about to be together again for the first time in several games, and I think we will see an overall improvement, even if the zone is there. Just don't go to the prevent thing like against O'Donnell from the Titans (that one still baffles me).

On offense, banged up O-line or not, there is no excuse for not being able to run the ball more than 9 and 14 times a game as in the last 2 games. In a passing offense like we now implore, Cloud is the obvious choice at RB. Look at what Garner does for the 49ers. He is a threat running and passing, and that is what we need in the backfield right now. We are averaging over 4 yards a carry the last 2 games, and that includes the pathetic numbers Bennett has put up. I don't buy into the theory we can't run the ball. We haven't tried to run the ball!

One last note again on Kurt! He and Gun are good friends (remember that). Kurt has 6 games to go to collect pension benifits. He won't be fired. Sorry!

[This message has been edited by Coogs (edited 11-16-2000).]

DoktorSmith
11-16-2000, 02:22 PM
Coogs-

I don't really expect Gunther to boot Schottenheimer out of the skybox, but it is nice to dream. I could even tolerate the rest of the season if I were certain that Gunther would do the right thing and can him when the season is over. I am beginning to worry that our Coordinating staff will be unchanged next season. As a result, I am rounding up all the sharp objects in my house.

We do seem to be manic-depressive on Offense. 95% run or 95% pass. There is no middle ground, and the extremes will not get the job done. This inability to develop balance is the reason I would lose Raye despite the explosion in our passing game.

xoxo~
gaz
now suffering nausea flashbacks from the Titans fiasco.<BR>

Phobia
11-16-2000, 02:28 PM
Gaz: I would submit that we are Manic Depressive as a team and it's because Gunther is the same way. His personality has become the teams.

I think Gunther's got to go.

DoktorSmith
11-16-2000, 02:34 PM
KCTitus-

I would give Gunther another year with a new Coordinating staff. If he is going to re-hire the Stooges, I would dump him. Losing Schottenheimer, Stock and Raye [in that order] is the more important to me than Gunther as HC.

xoxo~
gaz
willing to sacrifice Gunther to eliminate the Stooges.<BR>

Mi_chief_fan
11-16-2000, 02:46 PM
Gaz,

I really think Gun is the one that needs to go. He really seems to have no idea of what his troops are going to do from Sunday to Sunday. His after the game questioning of things we do really astounds me. He should be mandating to the 3 stooges what we are going to do the following Sunday, and it should be up to the stooges to carry out those orders.

For example, since we are feeling a bit woozy about the Titans finish, Gun should make it perfectly clear to Kurt well ahead of time what to do in each situation. If the plan was to continue pressuring the devil out of O'Donnell, and Kurt goes to the prevent, Gun should have been on the headset immediately with Kurt setting him straight. Not after the fact.

This whole about face thing on the "this is the kind of team I invisioned" with a wide open passing attack leaves me scratching my head also. Upon taking the job 2 years ago, one of his first statements was that he hated the Rams style of offense. Now, that style is what he is claimimg he wanted all along. All this double talk has to leave the players wondering what the heck is going on. Not a good sign comming from the one who is supposed to be the leader. I can see it now, if we were to go to a balanced attack over the next few weeks, he would claim that is what he wanted to do all along also. This just doesn't make sense at all to me. Stability is what is needed at the top, and we just don't seem to have that in Gun.

Clint in Wichita
11-16-2000, 02:47 PM
Gaz,
I think that the fact that Gun is still not on the same page as the rest of his coaching staff illustrates a severe lack of leadership. And IMO, if a coach is only good at, as un says, "calling out people", but not good at being a leader, it indicates they will never be a good head coach. Remember when he took the job last year he said he had prepared for this moment for 40 years and he was more ready than some current head coaches. Gun, I don't think so...

Cannibal
11-16-2000, 02:48 PM
Anyone read Whitlocks latest article on Guther and Kurt. He makes a pretty good point.

Lurker Brett
11-16-2000, 03:17 PM
Gaz,

I normally agree with you on just about anything regarding the Chiefs, but not about Gunther. He MUST go, I believe he has no respect in the locker room, and we have just started going through the motions, this really happened towards the end of last year, and has not really been corrected now. I am not saying getting rid of Rison and Dishman were bad ideas, but his rhetoric concerning them prior to releasing them had to leave some veterans wondering how they could believe what he had to say. Given his propensity to love his team, when they win, and point fingers when they lose, can any of us say he is a great leader. I'm sorry, he was a good DC, but is totally lost as a HC.

TheBigChief
11-16-2000, 03:20 PM
Like I said 2 months ago: 'Time to Slash and Burn'!

Replacing our GM, HC, and coordinators is the only way to break free of this 'cycle of mediocrity'

nmt1
11-16-2000, 05:37 PM
I like your personnell decisions, especially at RB. Give 'em a chance!!! However, that D-line still doesn't sound very good. Maybe we shoud draft a d tackle or two.

------------------
GO PITT!

Clint in Wichita
11-16-2000, 11:43 PM
OK, here is a question. Carl and Dick Vermiel are great friends, and Vermiel was the first guy Carl wanted to hire when he took over. Should Carl look into trying to convince Vermiel to step back into the arena after this season?

• "Two good friends of Dick Vermeil tell conflicting stories about the coach's future in football. One, who talked to him this week, tells me: 'I doubt he'll ever coach again.' The other tells me Vermeil is definitely interested in taking one more shot at the game. 'If Dick's phone rings,' this buddy says, 'he'll listen long and hard to any offer.' Don't be surprised if an impatient owner tries to talk Vermeil into one more win-now opportunity. By the way, Jimmy Johnson told me from his home in the Keys this week he categorically will not coach in 2001 and probably will never coach again."
Peter King, CNNSI
(via sportswaves.com)