PDA

View Full Version : Is Larry Johnson the future of the Chiefs running game?

CHIEF4EVER
12-21-2004, 11:30 PM
Here is a little tidbit borrowed from another thread:

In fact, KC’s three backs all rank among the NFL’s top five this season in terms of the fewest carries necessary in order to hit the end zone among players with a minimum of 40 rushing attempts. RB Larry Johnson is second in the NFL in that area, averaging a ground TD once every 13.0 carries. Meanwhile, RB Priest Holmes (14.0) is fourth and RB Derrick Blaylock (14.8) is fifth. Johnson has scored five rushing TDs in his past three games, including TD runs of 41, 46 and 32 yards.

In addition, he has 3 straight 100 yard games.

DanT
12-21-2004, 11:31 PM
Plus, he's what, 24 years old?

Count Zarth
12-21-2004, 11:33 PM
No way. :rolleyes:

Rausch
12-21-2004, 11:36 PM
He's got the talent. His heart and drive will determine the rest.

Call him "Leon" if you will, but the original Leon (Deion Sanders) has two rings...

Talent talks and bull$#it walks...

Logical
12-21-2004, 11:47 PM
I actually would have voted yes, except that part about "a bargain" we gave up drafting a desperately needed defender for him. That is no bargain.

Taco John
12-21-2004, 11:48 PM
He'll bolt for greener pastures at the first opportunity he can get. Players like Diaper Boy don't hang out in cow towns. They migrate to NY, Florida, Texas, or Cali.

Enjoy him while he lasts. But I wouldn't go out and spend any money on an LJ jersey. It'll be outdated before you get a chance to really break it in.

Rausch
12-21-2004, 11:49 PM
I actually would have voted yes, except that part about "a bargain" we gave up drafting a desperately needed defender for him. That is no bargain.

I'm glad we have him, and I wouldn't have it any different now...

Count Zarth
12-21-2004, 11:50 PM
He'll bolt for greener pastures at the first opportunity he can get. Players like Diaper Boy don't hang out in cow towns. They migrate to NY, Florida, Texas, or Cali.

Enjoy him while he lasts. But I wouldn't go out and spend any money on an LJ jersey. It'll be outdated before you get a chance to really break it in.

Go blow yourself up.

Rausch
12-21-2004, 11:50 PM

Too bad he's got a MINIMUM of 5 years left here, due to the contract he signed. If Peterson wants him gone, he's gone. If Peterson doesn't, he won't be.

MonroeChief
12-21-2004, 11:52 PM

I guess you are speaking of your portis experience.

Logical
12-21-2004, 11:52 PM

You are probably right.

Count Zarth
12-21-2004, 11:53 PM
I guess you are speaking of your portis experience.

Indeed he is, but that was because Shanahan was a tightwad. Have the Chiefs ever refused to shell out for a young developing stud and let him escape? The only one I can think of is Joe Horn.

Of course Taco's comments are even more retarded considering just two weeks ago he was calling LJ "average."

Rausch
12-21-2004, 11:56 PM
Indeed he is, but that was because Shanahan was a tightwad. Have the Chiefs ever refused to shell out for a young developing stud and let him escape? The only one I can think of is Joe Horn.

Or Shields, or Gonzo, or Holmes, or DT, etc...

Taco John
12-21-2004, 11:57 PM

Of course Taco's comments are even more retarded considering just two weeks ago he was calling LJ "average."

Two weeks ago?

How about, yesterday?

Eh, he torched our ailing defense. *shrug*

Diaper boy hasn't done anything in the league yet. You think he's going to start over Priest? Me either.

Taco John
12-22-2004, 12:00 AM
Have the Chiefs ever refused to shell out for a young developing stud and let him escape? The only one I can think of is Joe Horn.

Who said anything about the Chiefs? This isn't about the Chiefs. This is about Larry Johnson.

He'll bide his time. But he'll never be a locker room leader. He's waiting for the first boat out of Mizzurah for somewhere with lights.

Count Zarth
12-22-2004, 12:01 AM
Two weeks ago?

How about, yesterday?

Eh, he torched our ailing defense. *shrug*

Diaper boy hasn't done anything in the league yet. You think he's going to start over Priest? Me either.

WTF?

So is LJ average or is he a player that will bolt for the big cities?

I fail to see how LJ is average. He put up a buck fitty on the 5th or 6th ranked run D in the league (can't remember what the ranking was prior to the game).

Taco John
12-22-2004, 12:01 AM
Too bad he's got a MINIMUM of 5 years left here, due to the contract he signed. If Peterson wants him gone, he's gone. If Peterson doesn't, he won't be.

You're telling me he signed a 7 year rookie deal? Damn... That's a long time to be saddled with a lockerrom cancer...

Count Zarth
12-22-2004, 12:02 AM
Who said anything about the Chiefs? This isn't about the Chiefs. This is about Larry Johnson.

He'll bide his time. But he'll never be a locker room leader. He's waiting for the first boat out of Mizzurah for somewhere with lights.

It's all about the Chiefs. Why else would LJ bolt besides money? He's not so much of an asshole that he will demand a trade to New York and sit out the season in KC.

Count Zarth
12-22-2004, 12:04 AM
You're telling me he signed a 7 year rookie deal? Damn... That's a long time to be saddled with a lockerrom cancer...

http://chiefszone.cjonline.com/stories/071803/foo_sign.shtml

Chiefs sign top pick Johnson

The Associated Press

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- The Kansas City Chiefs signed Larry Johnson to a seven-year, $8.8 million contract Thursday, making the Penn State running back just the second first-round draft pick to agree to terms.

A football source who spoke on the condition of anonymity said the $8.8 million deal included a signing bonus of a little more than $3 million.

Obviously this will be renegotiated sometime in the future...

Taco John
12-22-2004, 12:04 AM
WTF?

So is LJ average or is he a player that will bolt for the big cities?

I fail to see how LJ is average. He put up a buck fitty on the 5th or 6th ranked run D in the league (can't remember what the ranking was prior to the game).

I fail to see how we're the 5th or 6th ranked run D in the league, especially the last five weeks. Our defense has been in shambles ever since the infighting started among the defensive coaches.

Taco John
12-22-2004, 12:08 AM
It's all about the Chiefs. Why else would LJ bolt besides money? He's not so much of an asshole that he will demand a trade to New York and sit out the season in KC.

Are you kidding? That's EXACTLY the kind of asshole Larry Johnson is. The kind that tells a fan (in essense) to shove a Penn State helmet because he doesn't ****ing play for Penn State anymore. The kind that pistol whips his baby's mamma for back talk. What a thug.

Taco John
12-22-2004, 12:10 AM
It's all about the Chiefs

ďI couldnít care less,Ē Johnson shocked reporters by saying last week. ďIf Iím here today, tomorrow, or Iím not here next year or the next two or three years, I donít mind. Itís just a situation that has to be great for me. Itís a business like everybody tells me, so Iím looking for the best business position I can (get) regardless of where it is.Ē

"It's all about the Chiefs."

ROFL

Count Zarth
12-22-2004, 12:10 AM
I fail to see how we're the 5th or 6th ranked run D in the league, especially the last five weeks. Our defense has been in shambles ever since the infighting started among the defensive coaches.

Rudi Johnson, LT and LJ are the only backs to get over 100 yards against the Donks since the Cincy game.

Count Zarth
12-22-2004, 12:11 AM
Are you kidding? That's EXACTLY the kind of asshole Larry Johnson is. The kind that tells a fan (in essense) to shove a Penn State helmet because he doesn't ****ing play for Penn State anymore. The kind that pistol whips his baby's mamma for back talk. What a thug.

You're nuts. There's no way LJ would say "trade me. I hate this place."

He might say "Pay me or trade me."

But the Chiefs would pay up.

Logical
12-22-2004, 12:28 AM
"It's all about the Chiefs."

ROFL

You realize you are arguing with a maturity challenged individual TJ.

Count Zarth
12-22-2004, 12:30 AM
You realize you are arguing with a maturity challenged individual TJ.

Dude...do you honestly think LJ would demand a trade if the Chiefs payed him like they are now paying Priest?

Logical
12-22-2004, 12:31 AM
Dude...do you honestly think LJ would demand a trade if the Chiefs payed him like they are now paying Priest?

Yes, I believe Leon is all about Leon. If Leon can force a move to a major media market Leon will.

Count Zarth
12-22-2004, 12:38 AM
Yes, I believe Leon is all about Leon. If Leon can force a move to a major media market Leon will.

How exactly would he do that? I've never heard of a player demanding a trade when a team was going to pay him fat stacks of cash.

ďI couldnít care less,Ē Johnson shocked reporters by saying last week. ďIf Iím here today, tomorrow, or Iím not here next year or the next two or three years, I donít mind. Itís just a situation that has to be great for me. Itís a business like everybody tells me, so Iím looking for the best business position I can (get) regardless of where it is.Ē

Logical
12-22-2004, 12:41 AM
How exactly would he do that? I've never heard of a player demanding a trade when a team was going to pay him fat stacks of cash.

Dude the money he could make in a major media market if he becomes a star from advertising and other media related monies would dwarf his NFL salary. That ain't happening if he stays in KC.

Count Zarth
12-22-2004, 12:45 AM
Dude the money he could make in a major media market if he becomes a star from advertising and other media related monies would dwarf his NFL salary. That ain't happening if he stays in KC.

OK I see your point. I guess we have to wait and see how much of an asshole he is.

Taco John
12-22-2004, 01:04 AM

Tony Gonzalez almost did it, and he's a good guy. Imagine what a pistol whipping dick like Diaper Boy would do in the same situation...

Count Zarth
12-22-2004, 01:24 AM
Tony Gonzalez almost did it, and he's a good guy.

WTF are you talking about?

Taco John
12-22-2004, 01:27 AM
WTF are you talking about?

Oh please... :rolleyes:

You going to play dumb and pretend that Tony G. didn't use basketball to try to leverage himself out of KC and into SF?

Count Zarth
12-22-2004, 01:35 AM
Oh please... :rolleyes:

You going to play dumb and pretend that Tony G. didn't use basketball to try to leverage himself out of KC and into SF?

I'm honestly ignorant of that...can you provide some proof?

beer bacon
12-22-2004, 01:38 AM
Hahaha. Watch TJ go from the Broncos are going to the SB and "what quarter will the Chiefs quit in" to "LJ is shit because our defense is shit!" in a blink of an eye. Amazing what a 45-17 asswhooping will do to a guy.

Logical
12-22-2004, 01:42 AM

Please how can you not know about it. A ton of people took to calling him Greedy Gonzalez because of that. TJ is not making that up.

Taco John
12-22-2004, 01:46 AM
Hahaha. Watch TJ go from the Broncos are going to the SB and "what quarter will the Chiefs quit in" to "LJ is shit because our defense is shit!" in a blink of an eye. Amazing what a 45-17 asswhooping will do to a guy.

In a blink of an eye? I know you're slow, but you're not THAT slow...

Taco John
12-22-2004, 01:48 AM

Wow.

No, I'm not going to provide proof. I'm not in the business of educating Chiefs fans on Chiefs history, though I seem to have to do that a lot sometimes...

tk13
12-22-2004, 01:49 AM
Please how can you not know about it. A ton of people took to calling him Greedy Gonzalez because of that. TJ is not making that up.
"Ton of people" = i.e. Logical ;)

Logical
12-22-2004, 01:52 AM
"Ton of people" = i.e. Logical ;)

ROFL no I was not nearly as alone on that one as I have been on Leon.

Count Zarth
12-22-2004, 01:58 AM
I don't recall reading about the 49ers making him a contract offer or something. Hell, he was never even a free agent if I remember correctly.

tk13
12-22-2004, 02:12 AM
I don't recall reading about the 49ers making him a contract offer or something. Hell, he was never even a free agent if I remember correctly.
I don't think he really wanted to go to the 49ers. Before the 2002 season we franchised him.... had the big contract dispute in the media, Carl called him out, blah blah blah... he went to play NBA summer league basketball, didn't sign a contract until right when camp was about to end. Some people didn't like it and figured he was being greedy holding out for WR money. I don't know who coined the term "Greedy Gonzalez", it might have been Logical...

Count Zarth
12-22-2004, 02:15 AM
I don't think he really wanted to go to the 49ers. Before the 2002 season we franchised him.... had the big contract dispute in the media, Carl called him out, blah blah blah... he went to play NBA summer league basketball, didn't sign a contract until right when camp was about to end. Some people didn't like it and figured he was being greedy holding out for WR money. I don't know who coined the term "Greedy Gonzalez", it might have been Logical...

Right. That was a money issue. He never demanded a trade or anything.

Logical
12-22-2004, 02:34 AM
Nope I did not create it, I just used it a lot. I actually coined the name Whiney Gonzalez but that never really caught on like Greedy did.

Logical
12-22-2004, 02:38 AM
Right. That was a money issue. He never demanded a trade or anything.

Actually he had his agent float rumors that he wanted to return to the Bay area and play. It was his free agent year but I cannot recall whether Carl franchised tagged him, I think maybe he did.

mcan
12-22-2004, 03:29 AM
Yeah they franchised him... But the basketball thing was never a serious threat and nobody looked at it that way... In fact, he has ALWAYS played in those leagues... There was a controversy the next year about it too because we had just given him the biggest contract in KC chiefs history and we didn't want him getting hurt in a different pro league... The fact is, it's NOT a pro league, it's a recreational game that he uses to stay in shape. The media used the "leverage" angle for print. Gonzalez was just not coming to camp that year... End of story... The reason, the average salary for a top five TE was just barely above that of the average salary for your run of the mill starting wide reciever. It was a money issue, and that's what free agency is FOR!

But, he never threated to leave... Just to hold out... Something that I expect anybody to do if they feel like they are being screwed. I wouldn't hold it against Will Shields if he said that he should be payed in the top five of all linemen instead of the top five guards (which get paid significantly less than tackles)... Of course he IS payed like a tackle, so we have no probs...

Taco John
12-22-2004, 06:15 AM
You guys will construct some pretty fantasmical things to convince yourselves that your star players would rather be hanging out in Missourah than in California, Texas, Florida, and New York.

Fact is, Tony wanted to be with his family and made overtures to try and get it done. Bound by the politics of the game, he lost the battle to get closer to his family, but won the war and got a huge contract out of it. He was going to get a huge contract no matter what, though. I'm sure he's happy to have stayed in Kansas City, but what's the point of denying the obvious fact that for a moment, he wanted to be closer to home? I don't get it.

Count Zarth
12-22-2004, 06:20 AM
You guys will construct some pretty fantasmical things to convince yourselves that your star players would rather be hanging out in Missourah than in California, Texas, Florida, and New York.

Fact is, Tony wanted to be with his family and made overtures to try and get it done. Bound by the politics of the game, he lost the battle to get closer to his family, but won the war and got a huge contract out of it. He was going to get a huge contract no matter what, though. I'm sure he's happy to have stayed in Kansas City, but what's the point of denying the obvious fact that for a moment, he wanted to be closer to home? I don't get it.

I'm not denying that at all. I'm just saying money can, has, and will continue to convince them to stay put. And the Chiefs are usually willing to shell out.

Digital Takawira
12-22-2004, 06:33 AM

damn, 5 more years is a long time to be saddled with a qb who will never win anything meaningful. good job picking up the option on him.:thumb:

CHIEF4EVER
12-22-2004, 06:42 AM
damn, 5 more years is a long time to be saddled with a qb who will never win anything meaningful. good job picking up the option on him.:thumb:

ROFL

With any luck, then Cheatin Donks will soon have their newer linemen broken in (i.e. instructed on how to cheat, take cheap shots and attempt to purposely maim other players) and Joke PlummINT will eventually have a shot at getting a QB rating above 30.

penchief
12-22-2004, 06:45 AM

I don't think you're right about this. I think LJ wanted a chance to prove himself, that's all. He's got his chance and I think he's happy. If he didn't want to play for KC he wouldn't have signed the contract that he did and he wouldn't have signed it as early as he did.

Taco John doesn't know squat about Larry Johnson, the person. The more Johnson proves himself on and off the field, the more TJs ridiculous comments will be exposed as nothing more than sour grapes.

We finally drafted us a future superstar at RB who will probably be better than anything Denver has ever had, including TD. In fact, Taco would love nothing more than to plug LJ into that famed Bronco running back "system."

CHIEF4EVER
12-22-2004, 06:48 AM

Yes. It is the old desperate "I am a clueless dumbazz who makes idiotic predictions so I better deflect from the numerous times I have been proven to be a stupid Donk Homer with yet another stupid post that I won't claim I made when I am proven wrong yet again".

John_Wayne
12-22-2004, 06:51 AM
The answer is YES, but not until Priest retires in 2 or 3 years. Until then, he'll split time with the best RB in Chiefs history. Each year, Priest will get less and less carries and LJ will get more and more involved in the offense.

Cormac
12-22-2004, 07:53 AM
Johnson has been awesome. He looks like he could easily be a 1500 yard back for a few years. However, I'd love to really know what his attitude is, because it certainly looks like crap from where I'm sitting. Priest will probably have another great year next year and then retire along with DV, Roaf, T-Rich, maybe Shields, and others. I bet LJ will be starting in 2006, and then be a RFA at the end of that year.

I really enjoy being proud of the players on the KC team. It's great being able to shout for Priest, Shields, TRich etc. Hopefully LJ will be a good citizen too.

htismaqe
12-22-2004, 08:28 AM
Johnson has been awesome. He looks like he could easily be a 1500 yard back for a few years. However, I'd love to really know what his attitude is, because it certainly looks like crap from where I'm sitting. Priest will probably have another great year next year and then retire along with DV, Roaf, T-Rich, maybe Shields, and others. I bet LJ will be starting in 2006, and then be a RFA at the end of that year.

I really enjoy being proud of the players on the KC team. It's great being able to shout for Priest, Shields, TRich etc. Hopefully LJ will be a good citizen too.

Johnson wants to play. Plain and simple.

There's nothing else wrong with his attitude.