PDA

View Full Version : OK KSU BB fans ..........

ROYC75
12-22-2004, 07:11 AM
Your team is 8 - 0. What did you do with the real KSU team?

I watched part of that game last night on my dish, and it seems you guys have a good little squad out there at the foot of the plains.

What was embarrassing was the crowd... :rolleyes: Was there even 10K there? There were far more empty seats than filled seats. What does your team have to do to get the fans in the stands?

Saulbadguy
12-22-2004, 07:16 AM
The difference between this KSU team and prior years is this team doesn't piss down its leg when its in a tough situation. Also, our guard play has improved ten-fold. Last year we had 3 Senior Guards, who were below average. This year we have 2 Sophmore guards, and 1 true Freshman (who usually runs the point), and they are probably the best guards we've had this decade.

IMO, this game was sort of a turning point. It was the first real complete game they have played. Other games, they gave up defensively in the end, or they had to come back from behind to win. I guess that could be a testament to how well they play down the stretch, and a "never give up" attitude, but I'd rather see what I saw last night, a complete game.

The crowd is embarassing, yes. I won't make excuses. Eventually they will start getting asses in the seats, especially for Big XII play. KSU is doing an excellent job doing promotions for the games, but not enough people are coming. The students are doing their part in showing up, however.

Brando
12-22-2004, 07:21 AM
Way to go Cats! One more win to get my top 25 vote!

OldTownChief
12-22-2004, 07:29 AM
WSU won last night also, so the big three Kansas teams are still undefeated.

ChiTown
12-22-2004, 07:36 AM
This is the most athletic team we have sported in about 10+ years.

We've definitely had better outside shooters than this, but their overall game is solid. I think this team can finish above .500 in Conference play. Whether that's enough to go dancing, who knows. I do think they have to beat a couple of big name teams to get there (OU, OSU, UT KU).

Re: The crowd.
Yes, it's bad. Yes, most fans are still skeptical. And yes, the OOC schedule has been brutal. Once Conf. play starts, I fully expect the attendance to get closer to 10K fans/game.

Saulbadguy
12-22-2004, 07:39 AM
Jeremiah Massey is an outstanding player. If you have the opportunity to watch a KSU game, watch this guy.

Skip Towne
12-22-2004, 07:42 AM
This is the most athletic team we have sported in about 10+ years.

We've definitely had better outside shooters than this, but their overall game is solid. I think this team can finish above .500 in Conference play. Whether that's enough to go dancing, who knows. I do think they have to beat a couple of big name teams to get there (OU, OSU, UT KU).

Re: The crowd.
Yes, it's bad. Yes, most fans are still skeptical. And yes, the OOC schedule has been brutal. Once Conf. play starts, I fully expect the attendance to get closer to 10K fans/game.
What is the seating capacity of Bramlage? Of Ahearn?

Saulbadguy
12-22-2004, 07:50 AM
What is the seating capacity of Bramlage? Of Ahearn?
13,340 for Bramlage. I have no clue about the Old Barn.

Largest Crowds in Bramlage

Date, Opponent_________________________ Attendance

1. 2/22/92 vs. Kansas______________________ 13,762

2. 1/27/90 vs. Kansas______________________ 13,685

3. 3/1/89 vs. Missouri_______________________ 13,597

4. 1/14/89 vs. Kansas______________________ 13,586

5. 1/18/93 vs. Kansas______________________ 13,584

6. 2/19/94 vs. Oklahoma____________________ 13,580

7. 2/8/90 vs. Missouri_______________________ 13,573

8. 2/12/94 vs. Kansas______________________ 13,553

9. 2/25/89 vs. Oklahoma State________________ 13,536

10. 3/3/90 vs. Nebraska______________________ 13,520

Skip Towne
12-22-2004, 08:03 AM
13,340 for Bramlage. I have no clue about the Old Barn.

Largest Crowds in Bramlage

Date, Opponent_________________________ Attendance

1. 2/22/92 vs. Kansas______________________ 13,762

2. 1/27/90 vs. Kansas______________________ 13,685

3. 3/1/89 vs. Missouri_______________________ 13,597

4. 1/14/89 vs. Kansas______________________ 13,586

5. 1/18/93 vs. Kansas______________________ 13,584

6. 2/19/94 vs. Oklahoma____________________ 13,580

7. 2/8/90 vs. Missouri_______________________ 13,573

8. 2/12/94 vs. Kansas______________________ 13,553

9. 2/25/89 vs. Oklahoma State________________ 13,536

10. 3/3/90 vs. Nebraska______________________ 13,520

Ahearn is 11,700.

HC_Chief
12-22-2004, 08:07 AM
The mildkittens are improving, no doubt about it :D
Not a bad RPI either: 52

Saulbadguy
12-22-2004, 08:19 AM
The mildkittens are improving, no doubt about it :D
Not a bad RPI either: 52
40 now :)

ROYC75
12-22-2004, 08:42 AM
Jeremiah Massey is an outstanding player. If you have the opportunity to watch a KSU game, watch this guy.

I noticed last night at times he was really smooth around the basket.

Bout damn time you guys got some talent out there.

WilliamTheIrish
12-22-2004, 08:55 AM
Your team is 8 - 0, what did you do with the real KSU teams ?

Plus, I watched part of that game last night on my dish last night, seems you guys have a good little squad out there at the foot of the plains.

What was embarrassing was the crowd .... :rolleyes: Was there even 10K there ? There were far more empty seats than filled seats. What does your team have to do to get the fans in the stands ?

How about win? How about beat your instate rival? How about beating the snot outta teams you should dominate? (CU,NU,Tech,aTm). And I mean this. There's NO excuse for getting beat by Ricardo Patton's squad.

There has been nothing but excuses from this side of the Athletic Department for 10+ years.

KSU fans are like any other fans. Win and they'll show up in droves. Have a catastophic decade and they'll wait till the program proves it can field a winner.

Lzen
12-22-2004, 09:57 AM
KSU fans are like any other fans. Win and they'll show up in droves. Have a catastophic decade and they'll wait till the program proves it can field a winner.

Probably true. That's probably the same thing for KU football fans. It's what I was saying 3 years ago. Look at this past season. KU filled the stadium on several occasions.
:thumb:

I also don't think it helped KSU that they scheduled games at times when people would be travelling for the hollidays and/or at the end of the semester when most students are gone. The guys on 580 Sports Sanity were talking about this the other day.

Andoverer
12-22-2004, 10:14 AM
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/sagarin/bkt0405.htm

Latest USA Today Sagarin ratings:

Kansas #4
Wichita State #25
Kansas State #56
Hooray for hoops in Kansas!

KevB
12-22-2004, 10:15 AM
I've been fairly optimistic over the last 3 years about KSU BB, only to be disappointed during the season. That came to a head last year, as I sat in downtown KC and watched UM freakin' KC beat the Cats by 40. Even decent coaches don't lose to UMKC by 40. Wooldridge has a ways to go before I'll fully support him again. He's off to a fine start, but we'll find out much more when they face better competition.

WilliamTheIrish
12-22-2004, 11:10 AM
I've been fairly optimistic over the last 3 years about KSU BB, only to be disappointed during the season. That came to a head last year, as I sat in downtown KC and watched UM freakin' KC beat the Cats by 40. Even decent coaches don't lose to UMKC by 40. Wooldridge has a ways to go before I'll fully support him again. He's off to a fine start, but we'll find out much more when they face better competition.

Indeed. We (KSU fans) were lucky that on that very night Mizzou was getting their azzes kicked by a Triple Crown horserace college. (Belmont)

That defeat trumped ours...... sort of.

ROYC75
12-22-2004, 11:13 AM
How long has it been since KSU was in the Big Dance, comes March ?

I don't remember .

Lzen
12-22-2004, 11:16 AM
How long has it been since KSU was in the Big Dance, comes March ?

I don't remember .

5 or 6 years, I believe.

WilliamTheIrish
12-22-2004, 11:18 AM
Let's see. They went to the West regional in Razzbury's first year. Got bombed by Clayton Holmes and New Mexico.

So, without a media guide, I'm going to say it was spring of 96.

ROYC75
12-22-2004, 11:34 AM
I know it's been awhile, no smack here, maybe this is the year you return to the dance.

Best of luck until you play us ! :KU:

KevB
12-22-2004, 12:17 PM
Let's see. They went to the West regional in Razzbury's first year. Got bombed by Clayton Holmes and New Mexico.

So, without a media guide, I'm going to say it was spring of 96.

That team was "headlined" by Manny Dies. Yikes.

My buddies and I heard that MU lost to Belmont on the way home from the UMKC game. It dulled the sting....a little.

Saulbadguy
12-24-2004, 07:21 AM
Here is a good article that says quite a bit:
http://catzone.cjonline.com/stories/122404/cat_mensbb.shtml

By Kurt Caywood
The Capital-Journal

MANHATTAN -- Do you buy the RPI? Will you give 'em an algorithm? Are you a rooter for the computer?

Or would you rather see for yourself? Do you have to smell the popcorn and hear the sneakers squeak to judge a college basketball team?

In Kansas State's case this season, the mathematics match the manpower.

The Wildcats are ranked No. 52 by CollegeRPI.com, the online Ratings Percentage Index that closely mimics the computer rankings used to pick and bracket the NCAA Tournament. The formula says that 231 schools have played a tougher schedule but that only four teams in the Big 12 are better than K-State.

Having seen whom the Cats have played and having seen the Cats, I don't disagree. I don't think they've beaten much of anybody, but I think maybe they can.

They're different this year.

In the last two seasons, K-State lost 22 games by 10 or fewer points. In games decided by 10 or fewer this season, they're 6-0. Granted, the games shouldn't be that close. They've dug too many holes and given up too many leads. But they've won.

They're different this year, because they have difference-makers. They're athletic, and, for once, that's not a euphemism for "can't shoot a lick." In their last five games, they've averaged 49.8 percent from the floor.

Jeremiah Massey has a little chip on his shoulder because he got snubbed for preseason All-Big 12, and that's all right with me. He scored a career-high 32 the other night against Northern Illinois. He also showed he could pass and that he had someone he could pass to.

"We've got guys who can score," Massey said, "and I'm thankful every time I can find one of them."

Kurt Caywood
Fred Peete already has saved several days. Cartier Martin, Lance Harris and Clent Stewart have a clue when they have the ball in their hands. Marques Hayden and Justin Williams can score inside, but if they don't, it's no longer the end of the world.

The Cats shot almost 52 percent the other night against the Huskies, a team they clipped by 15 and would have clobbered by 30 if they'd played any defense in the first half.

"I think we can play better, I really do," coach Jim Wooldridge said. "I think we have another level in us."

At the next level is a team that combines an improved offense and the defense that has held opponents to 40.5 percent field-goal shooting in K-State's four previous seasons under Wooldridge. At the next level are guys who come off the bench and get it done.

At the next level, the Wildcats climb from No. 52 in the computer rankings, find votes in The Associated Press poll and make a flesh-and-blood run at being the league's fifth-best team.

They haven't built much of anything yet, but this year the pieces are there.

"I do think the team's getting better," Wooldridge said, "and I think if we continue to get better then, at some point in time, you could say, 'That's a good basketball team.' "

Kurt Caywood's column regularly appears Mondays, Fridays and Sundays. He can be reached at (785) 295-1288 or kurt.caywood@.cjonline.com.

Skip Towne
12-24-2004, 08:01 AM
Here is a good article that says quite a bit:
http://catzone.cjonline.com/stories/122404/cat_mensbb.shtml

By Kurt Caywood
The Capital-Journal

MANHATTAN -- Do you buy the RPI? Will you give 'em an algorithm? Are you a rooter for the computer?

Or would you rather see for yourself? Do you have to smell the popcorn and hear the sneakers squeak to judge a college basketball team?

In Kansas State's case this season, the mathematics match the manpower.

The Wildcats are ranked No. 52 by CollegeRPI.com, the online Ratings Percentage Index that closely mimics the computer rankings used to pick and bracket the NCAA Tournament. The formula says that 231 schools have played a tougher schedule but that only four teams in the Big 12 are better than K-State.

Having seen whom the Cats have played and having seen the Cats, I don't disagree. I don't think they've beaten much of anybody, but I think maybe they can.

They're different this year.

In the last two seasons, K-State lost 22 games by 10 or fewer points. In games decided by 10 or fewer this season, they're 6-0. Granted, the games shouldn't be that close. They've dug too many holes and given up too many leads. But they've won.

They're different this year, because they have difference-makers. They're athletic, and, for once, that's not a euphemism for "can't shoot a lick." In their last five games, they've averaged 49.8 percent from the floor.

Jeremiah Massey has a little chip on his shoulder because he got snubbed for preseason All-Big 12, and that's all right with me. He scored a career-high 32 the other night against Northern Illinois. He also showed he could pass and that he had someone he could pass to.

"We've got guys who can score," Massey said, "and I'm thankful every time I can find one of them."

Kurt Caywood
Fred Peete already has saved several days. Cartier Martin, Lance Harris and Clent Stewart have a clue when they have the ball in their hands. Marques Hayden and Justin Williams can score inside, but if they don't, it's no longer the end of the world.

The Cats shot almost 52 percent the other night against the Huskies, a team they clipped by 15 and would have clobbered by 30 if they'd played any defense in the first half.

"I think we can play better, I really do," coach Jim Wooldridge said. "I think we have another level in us."

At the next level is a team that combines an improved offense and the defense that has held opponents to 40.5 percent field-goal shooting in K-State's four previous seasons under Wooldridge. At the next level are guys who come off the bench and get it done.

At the next level, the Wildcats climb from No. 52 in the computer rankings, find votes in The Associated Press poll and make a flesh-and-blood run at being the league's fifth-best team.

They haven't built much of anything yet, but this year the pieces are there.

"I do think the team's getting better," Wooldridge said, "and I think if we continue to get better then, at some point in time, you could say, 'That's a good basketball team.' "

Kurt Caywood's column regularly appears Mondays, Fridays and Sundays. He can be reached at (785) 295-1288 or kurt.caywood@.cjonline.com.
Sounds like a K-State "feel good" piece to me. We'll see.

Saulbadguy
12-24-2004, 08:25 AM
Sounds like a K-State "feel good" piece to me. We'll see.
Pretty much. :D Even us fans are sort of skeptical, but you are right, we "feel good" about our start. Last years (and years past teams) would have been 4-4 by now.

Skip Towne
12-24-2004, 08:31 AM
Pretty much. :D Even us fans are sort of skeptical, but you are right, we "feel good" about our start. Last years (and years past teams) would have been 4-4 by now.
OK, we just don't want you to get all starry eyed like you did over Sprawls. I really would hate to see you crying in the corner when Nebraska runs it up on you.

ChiTown
12-24-2004, 08:35 AM
Ahearn is 11,700.

Uh, what?

Ahearn, when there were people hanging off the sides, was just over 10,500. Hell, they were only supposed to hold 9500 to fire code.

Skip Towne
12-24-2004, 08:43 AM
Uh, what?

Ahearn, when there were people hanging off the sides, was just over 10,500. Hell, they were only supposed to hold 9500 to fire code.
Google Ahearn Field House and see what you see. That's what I did.

DJay23
12-24-2004, 09:35 AM
A nice tour of the "Barns of the Big XII" on the LJW website this morning:

http://www.kusports.com/news/mens_basketball/story/112624

Bramlage looks like a Sears from the outside.

WilliamTheIrish
12-24-2004, 09:47 AM
A nice tour of the "Barns of the Big XII" on the LJW website this morning:

http://www.kusports.com/news/mens_basketball/story/112624

Bramlage looks like a Sears from the outside.

Still better lookin' than that turd in Lawrence.

Skip Towne
12-24-2004, 09:57 AM
Still better lookin' than that turd in Lawrence.
Watch your mouth you filthy feline. That's the Shrine you're talking about.

WilliamTheIrish
12-24-2004, 10:17 AM

Heh heh..... Merry Christmas there 'timer.

Skip Towne
12-24-2004, 10:22 AM
Heh heh..... Merry Christmas there 'timer.
When we were in our 20's, my buddies and I called everyone over 35 'timer. Seems kinda strange now.

redbrian
12-24-2004, 10:25 AM

a dung heap by anyother name is still a dung heap.

Skip Towne
12-24-2004, 10:32 AM
As a MUron, you should know about dung heaps.

redbrian
12-24-2004, 10:37 AM
As a MUron, you should know about dung heaps.

Ah there is that quick and biting repartee we come to expect from an gay-bird fan.

As predictable as gay-birds chocking in the spring.

Saulbadguy
12-24-2004, 10:40 AM
KSU = 8-0
KU = 8-0
MU = 6-5

Enough said.

OldTownChief
12-24-2004, 11:49 AM
KSU = 8-0
KU = 8-0
MU = 6-5

Enough said.

WSU = 7-0

DJay23
12-24-2004, 01:42 PM
A dung heap with lots and lots of championship banners.

Skip Towne
12-24-2004, 01:48 PM
A dung heap with lots and lots of championship banners.
Now that a MUron would know nothing about.