PDA

View Full Version : Was Priest's coyness.....................?

penchief
12-22-2004, 11:18 AM
You know, it's been interesting watching this LJ situation unfold. We are just now finding out the level of both DV's and Saunders' loyalty, as well as their pettiness.

This has got me wondering, though. It has already been mentioned that Priest was "all about the money" during his injury rehab. Is it possible that DV, Saunders, and Priest already recognized LJ's talent and all had something to protect?

I have never fully understood the secrecy with which Priest kept the condition of his injury and his rehab prior to getting the big contract. Was he simply being a good businessman, ala LJ's recent comments, or was there concern about LJ's talent? Were Priest and DV conspiring to protect what both thought were the team's, as well as their own, best interest? Did they see that LJ's big-play skills as a threat to both Priest's future behind this O-line and Vermeil's offensive scheme? Was the King played by DV and Priest?

I don't know, but it is time to start asking why a supposed offensive genius like Saunders and a feel-good guy like Vermeil managed to poop all over the biggest playmaking threat we've had since probably Joe Delaney or Otis Taylor.

Dartgod
12-22-2004, 11:21 AM
We didn't really land on the moon.

bishop_74
12-22-2004, 11:21 AM
I think LJ was just an azz head and Priest was getting the job done fine so they figured why give him the opportunity. No conspiracy, just an attitude adjustment.

Stinger
12-22-2004, 11:22 AM
Toon in tommorrow to see what happens on "As Chiefs Planet Turns"

LiL stumppy
12-22-2004, 11:27 AM
I think LJ was just an azz head and Priest was getting the job done fine so they figured why give him the opportunity. No conspiracy, just an attitude adjustment.

I would be mad too if I was LJ.Having a coach treat me like that.

sevenand7kc
12-22-2004, 11:32 AM
We didn't really land on the moon.
and Elvis ain't dead. . . . .

ck_IN
12-22-2004, 11:34 AM
I think you're reading too much into things.

I think Priest was playing his injury low because he had hopes of getting back in and playing it low is just his nature. Priest is not a real 'Headlines' type of guy like TO or Ray Lewis.

I think DV was mad that CP overruled him and picked LJ so he took out his spite on LJ.

Bottom line; Priest was being closed mouthed and DV was being petty and both were staying true to their nature.

penchief
12-22-2004, 12:20 PM

I agree that the "no urgency" theory is the best.

penchief
12-22-2004, 12:25 PM
I agree that the "no urgency" theory is the best.

But still, as experienced coaches and evaluators of talent, they must surely have seen what is so obvious to even the least knowledgable of football fans. LJ makes big-time plays. He has the type of mad skills that can help us win it all.

One has to wonder as we sit here, 3-0 in our last three games mainly sparked by the play of LJ, how he couldn't have helped us win at least one or two more games this season before now.

Would we be in the playoffs right now if this coaching staff had played the best available players instead of having an axe to grind?

MichaelH
12-22-2004, 12:26 PM
I think it's real easy to look way too deeply to a lot of things that happen at 1 Arrowhead Drive. In my opinion, this is football and not a soap opera. Priest did what he did and that's all. He was hurt and hopefully he recovers and is productive next year. If not, Larry Johnson will be ready. That's all there is to the story.

penchief
12-22-2004, 12:42 PM
I think it's real easy to look way too deeply to a lot of things that happen at 1 Arrowhead Drive. In my opinion, this is football and not a soap opera. Priest did what he did and that's all. He was hurt and hopefully he recovers and is productive next year. If not, Larry Johnson will be ready. That's all there is to the story.

You are right. That is "all there is" to the story now. Vermeil is contrite, as he should be, and Johnson is proving his worth.

bishop_74
12-22-2004, 12:49 PM
I would be mad too if I was LJ.Having a coach treat me like that.

I'm of the opinion you need to earn your spot on the roster. Priest was doing great, LJ should have just shut the hell up and learned as much from Priest until Priest retired which is going to be in the next year or two. He obviously has the skills to be a good player, but be a team player and just wait your turn. No need to make waves.

Gaz
12-22-2004, 12:51 PM
I have not seen any indication of contrition from Vermeil.

xoxo~
Gaz
Does not expect any, either.

Thig Lyfe
No. But Carl Peterson did shoot JFK from the grassy knoll.

tk13
You're going to go insane dude. Now you're calling LJ our best offensive threat since Otis Taylor after just three games? Come on... this thread is worse than anything the Roys have ever done with the Scanlon. It's even more absurd to think the coaching staff doesn't want to win... no doubt they can be loyal and they can make mistakes, but all this "DV and Al sat in the dark corner with Priest plotting the demise of LJ because they'd rather be petty than win a Super Bowl" BS is crazy...

ck_IN
<i>I'm of the opinion you need to earn your spot on the roster. Priest was doing great, LJ should have just shut the hell up and learned as much from Priest until Priest retired which is going to be in the next year or two. He obviously has the skills to be a good player, but be a team player and just wait your turn. No need to make waves.</i>

I don't think LJ was complaining about being behind Priest. He was 3rd behind Blaylock and that was rubbing on him. He's clearly better then Blaylock so I don't blame him.

penchief
12-22-2004, 12:54 PM

It's not about being a "soap opera." It's about winning football games. Vermeil is the one making our beloved Chiefs into a soap opera. All of the loyalty stuff (which I personally admire) and all of the soft-hearted stuff have clouded the goal of winning.

Rule number one to winning: Play the players that give you the best chance to win.

Seriously? Is their explanation that, Johnson might have scored a bundle of touchdowns had he been utilized properly but it was more important that he learn how to block even though they had no intention of playing him on any plays?

The bottom line is not speculation about a soap opera but about winning football games. Knowing what we know now, are chief fans justified in questioning the handling of LJ?

Gaz
12-22-2004, 12:54 PM
Johnson was behind Blaylock because Johnson’s blocking skills stank worse than Blaylock’s.

You will have noticed that when we were forced to use Johnson, the Chiefs took pains to ensure that Green’s life did not depend on Johnson picking up a blitz.

You can throw out all the conspircacy theories you like, but this Offense depends on Green. That is why Vermeil went after Green, despite the anguished howls of some of the fans. That is why a RB's blocking ability is a critical issue in his ability to get on the field.

xoxo~
Gaz
Does not need to assign any dark motives to understand why Johnson was brought along slowly.

ck_IN
12-22-2004, 12:58 PM
If blocking is that bad then keep Trich or Dunn in as an extra blocker. Johnson obviously has a gear that Blaylock doesn't. I'm not assigning 'dark motives' I'm simply saying that DV refused to play LJ out of spite against CP.

tk13
12-22-2004, 12:59 PM
It's not about being a "soap opera." It's about winning football games. Vermeil is the one making our beloved Chiefs into a soap opera. All of the loyalty stuff (which I personally admire) and all of the soft-hearted stuff have clouded the goal of winning.

Rule number one to winning: Play the players that give you the best chance to win.

Seriously? Is their explanation that, Johnson might have scored a bundle of touchdowns had he been utilized properly but it was more important that he learn how to block even though they had no intention of playing him on any plays?

The bottom line is not speculation about a soap opera but about winning football games. Knowing what we know now, are chief fans justified in questioning the handling of LJ?
Yes, all across the league you see that. Priest broke the record for most rushing TD's in a season in the HISTORY of the NFL last year. He's the best running back in the league.... it's not like we'd have been reducing the load of Donnell Bennett here. That's like benching Peyton Manning because hey, Jim Sorgi's had a couple good weeks of practice. This is what you are suggesting.

Gaz
12-22-2004, 01:09 PM
“Spite” is not a dark motive?

It sure is in my neck of the woods.

xoxo~
Gaz
Unable to read Vermeil’s mind.

Pants
12-22-2004, 01:13 PM

Are you implying they should have started LJ instead of Priest? If not, than why do you bring in Priest into the whole "conspiracy" against LJ.

Seriously dude, Johnson seems to be arrogant and there have been rumors he didn't want to work on the practice field, because he knew he was good enough anyway. Blaylock worked his ass off to get to the #2 spot. DV taught LJ a valuable NFL lesson.

Also, I suggest you listen to Gaz.

ck_IN
12-22-2004, 01:15 PM
When you said dark motives I took it to be one of the conspiracy ideas that have been bandied in this thread. If that was not your meaning then I stand corrected.

LJ's blocking may be a notch below Blaylocks but Blaylock isn't exactly a terror in that department either. The threat that LJ brings (so far) far outweighs his blocking inferiority to Blaylock. DV using that as a reason for putting LJ behind Blaylock is a red herring IMO. If DV didn't see that then it opens up a whole new set of questions about DV.

Gaz
12-22-2004, 01:19 PM
As I pointed out before, Green is the keystone to this Offense. He must be protected. Blaylock is the better blocker, thus, Blaylock starts in place of Holmes.

No conspiracy, senility or spite is required to understand why Blaylock was #2 & Johnson was #3.

xoxo~
Gaz
Taking the simple path.

penchief
12-22-2004, 01:22 PM
“Spite” is not a dark motive?

It sure is in my neck of the woods.

xoxo~
Gaz
Unable to read Vermeil’s mind.

More than assigning motives, I'm asking questions. Mainly, how could Vermeil & Saunders not see what LJ brought to the table? How could they not utilize it to the advantage of our team? That is all.

Not everyone is a good blocker. It's a fair question to ask. I'm not trying to rock the boat but the evaluation skills of a coaching staff is a tangible thing, IMO.

Gaz
12-22-2004, 01:24 PM
Because keeping Green vertical is the primary objective.

xoxo~
Gaz
Thought it was a pretty simple concept to grasp.

Gaz
12-22-2004, 01:27 PM
Well, folks. Yet another grueling work day has come to an end. I am outta here.

Feel free to speculate on the REAL reason behind my absence.

xoxo~
Gaz
Throwing himself on the grenade to give DV & Company a breather.

ck_IN
12-22-2004, 01:29 PM
Fullbacks and backup tightends are paid to block. If you have a RB that can take it the distance at any given carry then one of those other two players can be asked to cover his blocking defeciencies. Starting a RB that is a marginally better blocker but not the threat to break one is not a good reason.

tk13
12-22-2004, 01:30 PM
Uh oh, I think Gaz's blockers got trampled, Gaz is face down on the ground.

Hydrae
12-22-2004, 01:32 PM
I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong on this but I thought Priest started talking about wanting more money before the draft that brought us LJ. If I am correct, your theory is wrong before it even gets out of the gate.

Of course if I am wrong, just ignore this post and carry on...

Thig Lyfe
12-22-2004, 01:37 PM
Well... what about Mike Cloud?

penchief
12-22-2004, 01:40 PM
Are you implying they should have started LJ instead of Priest? If not, than why do you bring in Priest into the whole "conspiracy" against LJ.

Seriously dude, Johnson seems to be arrogant and there have been rumors he didn't want to work on the practice field, because he knew he was good enough anyway. Blaylock worked his ass off to get to the #2 spot. DV taught LJ a valuable NFL lesson.

Also, I suggest you listen to Gaz.

I hope you're right. I have also wondered if LJ were Vermeil's anti-Lawrence Phillips. Maybe he said to himself, "If I'd been harder on Larry Phillips he might have been a player in this league. I'm not going to make that mistake with LJ."

I can see that. Look, I think everyone is happy with our current situation. But the questions do begged to be asked.

What I'm asking about Priest is why, when he was injured, was he so coy about everything? Questions were raised earlier about why he was on national television asking to "see the money." Priest seems as much like a businessman as anybody, if you ask me. We paid him a lot of money based on the faith that he was going to be able to return to form. He deserved it and he did return to form. It was a good gamble.

There is nothing wrong with calling into question our team's player evaluation process or asking if this particular instance was an isolated one? Can we find any other examples on the team? The defense maybe?

If we have serious problems in talent evaluation we will never win a championship until they are corrected. I personally don't think that is the case but it does deserve to be asked, IMO.

Dartgod
12-22-2004, 01:43 PM
I am sure I will be corrected if I am wrong on this but I thought Priest started talking about wanting more money before the draft that brought us LJ. If I am correct, your theory is wrong before it even gets out of the gate.

Of course if I am wrong, just ignore this post and carry on...
You are right.

penchief
12-22-2004, 02:10 PM
I'm not posing thoeries as much as I am questions. However, it is interesting that Priest set goals of "rushing for over 2000 yards and breaking more long runs." I wonder if that wasn't, in some subconscious way, an acknowledgement of what LJ brings to the table.