PDA

View Full Version : Brady is not a pro-bowl QB

SNR
12-22-2004, 03:44 PM
He is a QB I would love to have on my team. I may even want him more than Green. All he does is win. But that's not a pro bowl QB.

To me, the Pro Bowl is for outstanding players, even from teams with 0-16 records. In this case, yes, I would go for stats over wins. Brady is a leader on the field and a mastermind of the Patriots offense, but he's not a Pro Bowl QB.

So yeah, Trent got snubbed. I think he should be going to Honolulu this February. But he's not.

PunkinDrublic
12-22-2004, 03:55 PM
That's just the way it goes man. Players on winning teams reap the rewards of being in the spotlight(unless you're Trent Dilfer). The Pats have one two superbowls in an era of parody in the NFL so of course Brady is going to be the media darling. When you see Peyton Manning put up the numbers he has this season and Brady leading his team to a near flawless season it's easy to see why Green would be an afterthought on a 5-8 team.

Lzen
12-22-2004, 04:01 PM
You're right in the way it happens. That doesn't make it right. Manning is an obvious choice. Nobody in their right mind would say otherwise. But Green deserves it more than Brady. If the Chiefs had any semblance of a decent defense, Green probably would've been there. The AFC just has too many good QBs this year. It's a numbers game and Trent got left out.

craneref
12-22-2004, 04:05 PM
It is consistent with Priest not getting any serious consideration for MVP last year, even though he shattered the rushing TD record, and for a 13-3 team. nOtice the lack of love for Priest also, leading the league in rushing and TD's before he goes down and still is in second place in the league in that catagory, and he hasn't played for 5 and a half games. It is less and less about who you are, and more and more about where you are in the NFL. PITIFUL simply PITIFUL. GO CHIEFS

PunkinDrublic
12-22-2004, 04:10 PM
You're right in the way it happens. That doesn't make it right. Manning is an obvious choice. Nobody in their right mind would say otherwise. But Green deserves it more than Brady. If the Chiefs had any semblance of a decent defense, Green probably would've been there. The AFC just has too many good QBs this year. It's a numbers game and Trent got left out.

I just don't get fired up over pro bowl accolades. I'd rather have a winning team with less pro bowlers. I don't doubt for a second that Green is well respected by his NFL peers. Pittsburgh can have Rothlesburger and his pro bowl. For all we know he may turn out to be a one year wonder. I'll stick with Green and his solid consistancy any day.

Lzen
12-22-2004, 04:16 PM
I'd rather have a winning team with less pro bowlers.

If that means winning some playoff games as well, I agree.

I'll stick with Green and his solid consistancy any day.

Yup. :thumb:

KevB
12-22-2004, 05:27 PM

If Green had any defense, he wouldn't put up the same numbers, which is the basis for your argument that he belongs in and Brady doesn't. Green would have less stats, and more wins, which is where Brady sits. And in turn, if Green had a better defense/more wins/less stats, he'd be in the Pro Bowl.

StcChief
12-22-2004, 05:28 PM
Amnorix will be along to clarify this one.

I don't think so either, depends on how he finishes and they are in 1st in AFC-E

Phobia
12-22-2004, 05:37 PM
If Green had any defense, he wouldn't put up the same numbers, which is the basis for your argument that he belongs in and Brady doesn't. Green would have less stats, and more wins, which is where Brady sits. And in turn, if Green had a better defense/more wins/less stats, he'd be in the Pro Bowl.

More importantly, if Green didn't throw TD passes to the other team, he'd probably be in the Pro-Bowl.

HolmeZz
12-22-2004, 05:40 PM
Did you guys miss Brady single-handedly ****ing up the Monday Night game for the Pats?

I know Trent's play in the Houston game was absolutely stupid, but didn't he end up with 3 TDs and 1 INT in that game? He played fairly well IIRC, we all just remember that one play.

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-22-2004, 05:40 PM
It's hard to say Brady isn't a Pro Bowl QB. He's just not in the top three statistically. There's more to being a pro Bowler than stats sometimes, imo.

I do wish Green had made it though.

SNR
12-22-2004, 06:10 PM
It's hard to say Brady isn't a Pro Bowl QB. He's just not in the top three statistically. There's more to being a pro Bowler than stats sometimes, imo.

I do wish Green had made it though.I don't think W-L should be a factor in deciding who goes and who doesn't... maybe if it goes down to a tie. But to me, "pro bowler" means a player who has done the most this year. 40+ TD passes is one. Priest had his record last year. Green is throwing a phenominal 66% completion percentage. Brady doesn't have those stats.

Again, let me re-state, that I would take Tom Brady as my QB anyday. I might even take him over Trent Green. He wins and makes smart decisions, and that's the key thing I want in my QB. But sadly, those aren't pro bowl qualities. If that's the case, then how come Trent Dilfer doesn't have a pro bowl nomination on his resume?

morphius
12-22-2004, 06:57 PM
Just a guess here, Green may have went had we won some of the close games earlier when people were voting insteading of ending games holding onto the ball forever and getting sacked.

KevB
12-22-2004, 07:11 PM
I don't think W-L should be a factor in deciding who goes and who doesn't... maybe if it goes down to a tie. But to me, "pro bowler" means a player who has done the most this year. 40+ TD passes is one. Priest had his record last year. Green is throwing a phenominal 66% completion percentage. Brady doesn't have those stats.

Again, let me re-state, that I would take Tom Brady as my QB anyday. I might even take him over Trent Green. He wins and makes smart decisions, and that's the key thing I want in my QB. But sadly, those aren't pro bowl qualities. If that's the case, then how come Trent Dilfer doesn't have a pro bowl nomination on his resume?

Because Trent Dilfer was a placeholder. Brady is not. Brady is the key cog in their offense, so he gets the accolades. He puts up decent numbers, and wins. Plain and simple. If that's not what a Pro Bowler is, then I don't want many Pro Bowlers on my team.

As for your definition of a Pro Bowler, that's YOUR opinion. Much like the Heisman, there's no hard and fast rule that defines what a Pro Bowler is. Sometimes there are stats that are impossible to overlook. Sometimes it's a guy that has intangibles that can't be denied.

SBK
12-22-2004, 08:07 PM
Actually Tom Brady is a pro-bowler. Have you seen the roster this year?

Amnorix
12-22-2004, 10:02 PM
I think of all the positions, QB is the one where you REALLY need to take intangibles into account. Granted, he SUCKED AZZ in the MNF game, but that's very much the exception, and Miami does have an excellent pass defense.

Let me put it this way -- without Brady, the Pats have ZERO Super Bowl wins the last few years, no doubt about it.

I think Brady and Green are close talent-wise, but Green's numbers are better than Brady's, in part, because (1) the Chiefs MUST score 30 points to win, the Pats don't, and the coaches and offensive players know it, (2) Green has a better OLine protecting him, and a group of receivers who are at least as good, if not better (once you count Tony G.)

I'll grant that it's close, that the stats. favor Green. The intangibles of leadership, etc., I think swing it to Brady's favor.

As I posted elsewhere, though, since you guys have 5 pro bowlers on a 6-8 squad (all regular position players), and the Pats have only 4 (2 are special teams only) on a 12-2 club, I respectfully confess that I have ZERO sympathy for Green/Chiefs/y'all on this one.

Amnorix
12-22-2004, 10:03 PM
I don't think W-L should be a factor in deciding who goes and who doesn't... maybe if it goes down to a tie. But to me, "pro bowler" means a player who has done the most this year. 40+ TD passes is one. Priest had his record last year. Green is throwing a phenominal 66% completion percentage. Brady doesn't have those stats.

Pro bowl qualities are MORE than just fantasy football stats.

bkkcoh
12-22-2004, 10:05 PM
So yeah, Trent got snubbed. I think he should be going to Honolulu this February. But he's not.

Don't worry, by the time that the other QB's back out of the pro bowl, Trent should be in there....

:thumb: