PDA

View Full Version : What is the BEST Game System?

CHIEF4EVER
12-22-2004, 10:40 PM
Vote.

Douche Baggins
12-22-2004, 10:41 PM
The PC....

Frazod
12-22-2004, 10:44 PM
I just play games on my PC. Never used any of the other systems.

But here's a great big F#CK YOU to XBox and Microsuck in general for releasing Sith Lords on XBox in December and making those of us who play on PCs wait until f#cking February to get it.

Sorry, Bill, you sick evil greedy bastard. I'm not going to drop $200 right before Christmas on a goddamn XBox just so I can play this game a couple of months early. Eat a dick.

:cuss:

Douche Baggins
12-22-2004, 10:46 PM

But here's a great big F#CK YOU to XBox and Microsuck in general for releasing Sith Lords on XBox in December and making those of us who play on PCs wait until f#cking February to get it.

Sorry, Bill, you sick evil greedy bastard. I'm not going to drop $200 right before Christmas on a goddamn XBox just so I can play this game a couple of months early. Eat a dick.

They did the same for the first KOTOR...I'm not sure if it's nefarious or they have to port it over to PC or something.

CHIEF4EVER
12-22-2004, 10:46 PM
I just got my Christmas present early and absolutely LOVE it. I had a PS for years but a CDL student of mine introduced me to the XBOX and I don't think I will ever go back to any other system. The controllers were hard to get used to but once I did they were awesome. I also love HALO/HALO2 (just got em and have been playing them almost nonstop). Best game EVAR made for a console system. Have yet to play it online on the XBOX but have heard good things. I will also get Madden but I see this as one of the only weaknesses with the XBOX. Most people I know play Madden head to head with the PS2.

ChiefsCountry
12-22-2004, 10:55 PM
XBox

Halo, Halo 2 best games ever. Followed by Madden and NCAA Football.

But the best game system ever was the original Nentino. Mario, Duck Hunt, TECMO Super Bowl. Awesome.

CHIEF4EVER
12-22-2004, 10:55 PM

I have always played most of my games on PC but I had to do something different. I am on the road for 3-4 straight weeks and thus have no chance to play my PC games anymore. Thus the need for a console game that doesn't blow up my inverter in my rig. I don't understand why MS delayed the release of the new game for the PC for so long but can understand your frustration.

Frazod
12-22-2004, 11:02 PM
I have always played most of my games on PC but I had to do something different. I am on the road for 3-4 straight weeks and thus have no chance to play my PC games anymore. Thus the need for a console game that doesn't blow up my inverter in my rig. I don't understand why MS delayed the release of the new game for the PC for so long but can understand your frustration.

I understand perfectly - Bill and his Microsuck goons want me to buy a friggin XBox.

Or more to the point, they want parents of kids who want the game for Christmas to buy an XBox.

It's all marketing. And greed. And bullshit. Like Microsuck hasn't reamed the universe for enough cash.

Cochise
12-22-2004, 11:13 PM
I enjoy the xbox. The marquee games like Halo, Madden, and NCAA are there. Plus the military-type simulation ones I like, such as Ghost Recon, and the Splinter Cell. They seem to do more offbeat sports (for console games anyway) well too. Topspin is a great tennis game, Moto GP for motorcycle racing, most of the racing games I have rented have been pretty fun too.

With xbox you can also copy cd's to the hard disk for game soundtracks, and the hard disk means you don't have to buy a thousand of those stupid memory cards.

And if you want to play online, the modem is built in, you don't have to go out and buy it.

CHIEF4EVER
12-22-2004, 11:19 PM
I enjoy the xbox. The marquee games like Halo, Madden, and NCAA are there. Plus the military-type simulation ones I like, such as Ghost Recon, and the Splinter Cell. They seem to do more offbeat sports (for console games anyway) well too. Topspin is a great tennis game, Moto GP for motorcycle racing, most of the racing games I have rented have been pretty fun too.

With xbox you can also copy cd's to the hard disk for game soundtracks, and the hard disk means you don't have to buy a thousand of those stupid memory cards.

And if you want to play online, the modem is built in, you don't have to go out and buy it.

I still like Ghost Recon on the PC but only because I haven't gotten used to playing it on the XBOX controller yet. I went ahead and got the "trilogy" (GR, SC and R6) for the XBOX and they seem to have a lot of potential. I also got High Heat but haven't really tried playing it yet so I'll have to reserve my judgement of it until I do. They will all have to wait until my obsession with HALO/HALO2 has run its course.

the Talking Can
12-22-2004, 11:22 PM

the game is farking awesome...I've been playing it for days....incredible

Pants
12-22-2004, 11:31 PM
Xbox BY A F*CKING MILE. Better games (exception of GTA, we just have to wait till summer), better graphics, better load times, better online. And CHIEF4EVER, Halo 2 was made to be played online. The campaign takes around 10-15 hours to beat (real short), the meat of the game is in the online play. It's hella fun.

And, frazod, you are 1/2 right. Microsoft wanted KOTOR2 to be done by Christmas, that would have been impossible to achieve had the team been working on two projects (XB and PC) at the same time. They opted for the box version to be done and later ported to PC (just like last year). And yes, Microsoft is evil, but it doesn't hold a candle to freaking EA. Motherf*ckers are buying everything out and enslaving their poor workers. I hate EA. With a passion.

True story -

I was playing NFL 2K5 the other night and started thinking what the next year's rankings will be but then I remembered there wouldn't be a 2K game next year, thanks to EA Sports. I then started crying.

Also EA makes people work hella overtime without compesantion. F*ck EA. Besides NFL2K5 > Madden 2005.

Frazod
12-22-2004, 11:33 PM

:#

CHIEF4EVER
12-22-2004, 11:42 PM
Xbox BY A F*CKING MILE. Better games (exception of GTA, we just have to wait till summer), better graphics, better load times, better online. And CHIEF4EVER, Halo 2 was made to be played online. The campaign takes around 10-15 hours to beat (real short), the meat of the game is in the online play. It's hella fun.

And, frazod, you are 1/2 right. Microsoft wanted KOTOR2 to be done by Christmas, that would have been impossible to achieve had the team been working on two projects (XB and PC) at the same time. They opted for the box version to be done and later ported to PC (just like last year). And yes, Microsoft is evil, but it doesn't hold a candle to freaking EA. Motherf*ckers are buying everything out and enslaving their poor workers. I hate EA. With a passion.

True story -

I was playing NFL 2K5 the other night and started thinking what the next year's rankings will be but then I remembered there wouldn't be a 2K game next year, thanks to EA Sports. I then started crying.

Also EA makes people work hella overtime without compesantion. F*ck EA. Besides NFL2K5 > Madden 2005.

I CAN'T WAIT to play HALO2 online. But first, I have to get past the campaign on legendary. And there I have hit a wall. It is like beating your head against the friggin wall. I haven't been able to get past the first hangar on legendary. I use every weapon and all the ammo available and still there are 6-8 Elites tearing my azz up. I even tried it split screen with the student of mine (and he is pretty good) and we still didn't get past the second hangar. Also, I haven't found a single one of those skulls yet. I know they are there but haven't found one.

Rausch
12-22-2004, 11:48 PM
By game system I assume platform and not PC/Mac.

And IMHO hardware is not nearly as important as the quality of games/software available.

Hardware you have to say X-Box, but as far as selection of games it's by far PS2. There's just so much diversity and such a huge selection on PS2.

Pants
12-22-2004, 11:50 PM
I CAN'T WAIT to play HALO2 online. But first, I have to get past the campaign on legendary. And there I have hit a wall. It is like beating your head against the friggin wall. I haven't been able to get past the first hangar on legendary. I use every weapon and all the ammo available and still there are 6-8 Elites tearing my azz up. I even tried it split screen with the student of mine (and he is pretty good) and we still didn't get past the second hangar. Also, I haven't found a single one of those skulls yet. I know they are there but haven't found one.

I didn't even try to beat Legendary on my own, that's insane. I beat it with my friend in 2 nights, lol. As for the skulls, there are a bunch of websites with instructions. I never bothered, myself, and stuck to playing online. But, yeah, if you decide to beat it on Legendary by yourself, it will take a lot more than 10-15 hours, more like 25.

Once you start playing on Live, post your tag on CP, so the others can play with you.

stanleychief
12-22-2004, 11:51 PM
I understand perfectly - Bill and his Microsuck goons want me to buy a friggin XBox.

Or more to the point, they want parents of kids who want the game for Christmas to buy an XBox.

It's all marketing. And greed. And bullshit. Like Microsuck hasn't reamed the universe for enough cash.

Actually from a development standpoint, it is a lot easier to develop a game when the hardware is basically a known entity in the equation. It might be possible they are building the game for the Xbox, then go back and retouch the code to port it to the PC. Architectually the two are basically the same, however there are millions of different combinations of hardware items when your build a PC.

The QA cycle I'm sure has to account for this on the PC version whereas the Xbox does not. I could be completely wrong, and Microsoft could indeed have some marketing reason behind this, but I'm sure those with Xbox consoles are glad they don't have to wait for a PC version to become 100% stable when their version is ready to ship.

Frazod
12-22-2004, 11:56 PM
Actually from a development standpoint, it is a lot easier to develop a game when the hardware is basically a known entity in the equation. It might be possible they are building the game for the Xbox, then go back and retouch the code to port it to the PC. Architectually the two are basically the same, however there are millions of different combinations of hardware items when your build a PC.

The QA cycle I'm sure has to account for this on the PC version whereas the Xbox does not. I could be completely wrong, and Microsoft could indeed have some marketing reason behind this, but I'm sure those with Xbox consoles are glad they don't have to wait for a PC version to become 100% stable when their version is ready to ship.

One advantage to waiting is that the PC version has more features (extra levels, quests, etc.) than the XBox version. This was true of the original KOTOR as well. The extra stuff eventually came to the XBox version as downloadable upgrades, but that took several months.

My neighbor has an XBox and is holding out for the PC version.

Still, I'd rather play the half-assed version on the PC now and get upgraded later. Oh well.

Clearly, patience isn't one of my (few) virtues.... :spock:

Rausch
12-22-2004, 11:57 PM
My brother (Grimm) has an X-Box and I've been a Halo addict since he got it. He's insane good at it. I was excited about Halo 2 and figured that like 1, it's blow everything away.

I'm not a big fan of the online options in FPS (I hate the "capture the flag" type play, I want to go through the GAME with 6 or 8 guys, not have 6 or 8 enemies) so that aspect just doesn't matter to me. And IMHO the game sucked. New weapons to use, which was great, but trying to squeeze 2 games into 1 just seemed to take away from the story to me. Not add to it.

It was easy to beat in co-op mode (STILL takes us twice as long to beat 1 as it does 2) and the ending sucked. I felt let down by 2. Instead we plop 1 back in and play it...

CHIEF4EVER
12-23-2004, 12:04 AM
My brother (Grimm) has an X-Box and I've been a Halo addict since he got it. He's insane good at it. I was excited about Halo 2 and figured that like 1, it's blow everything away.

I'm not a big fan of the online options in FPS (I hate the "capture the flag" type play, I want to go through the GAME with 6 or 8 guys, not have 6 or 8 enemies) so that aspect just doesn't matter to me. And IMHO the game sucked. New weapons to use, which was great, but trying to squeeze 2 games into 1 just seemed to take away from the story to me. Not add to it.

It was easy to beat in co-op mode (STILL takes us twice as long to beat 1 as it does 2) and the ending sucked. I felt let down by 2. Instead we plop 1 back in and play it...

I know what you mean by letdown. I finished it on Heroic and discovered that HALO 3 is teed up and probably being developed as we speak. Have you tried it coop on legendary (aka INSANE)? That being said, I am totally addicted and it will be awhile before I play another game.

Pants
12-23-2004, 12:04 AM

Wait what? You keep replaying the campaign on co-op mode with 'lo? I'd get bored after the 1st time, lol. And uhh, it's a lot of fun to have 4 people playing on one box as a team online. It's like playing a 4v4 on LAN with the old 'lo but you play with some unknown douches over Live. So much better than Halo.

And, frazod, I LOL'ed when I read your post about how KOTOR on the box is half-assed. Nice.

Rausch
12-23-2004, 12:17 AM
I know what you mean by letdown. I finished it on Heroic and discovered that HALO 3 is teed up and probably being developed as we speak. Have you tried it coop on legendary (aka INSANE)? That being said, I am totally addicted and it will be awhile before I play another game.

We didn't finish it on legendary. We played the first 4 levels and it was insane difficult. And by then, we'd lost interest.

If you could pick a side (like a C&C or something) and play a whole game of Masterchief or the aliens it would have been cool. But switching every other level just messed it up IMHO.

Rausch
12-23-2004, 12:18 AM
I know what you mean by letdown. I finished it on Heroic and discovered that HALO 3 is teed up and probably being developed as we speak.

And I felt the same way.

It was like playing the Matrix 2 in video game form.

Demonpenz
12-23-2004, 12:24 AM
halo 2

overated clapclapclap overated

elvomito
12-23-2004, 12:32 AM
2 of my alltime favorite games came out on dreamcast: soulcalibur and sf rush 2049.

anyone know of any games currently available that are as good as rush?

anyway xbox clearly has the better upside of the three even though sony has exclusives for the new GTAs for a while.

Rausch
12-23-2004, 12:36 AM
2 of my alltime favorite games came out on dreamcast: soulcalibur and sf rush 2049.

anyone know of any games currently available that are as good as rush?

anyway xbox clearly has the better upside of the three even though sony has exclusives for the new GTAs for a while.

There were some great RPG's on DC as well as Seaman (very cool, very unique game. Still play it.)

Judge Smails
12-23-2004, 12:42 AM

Actually, Rush has a new game for x-box just out.

A vastly underrated x-box game is the first Buffy game. It made me start watching the show.

elvomito
12-23-2004, 12:44 AM
thats right, i forgot all about that!!! i hope it still has 4player kill mode...but online.

anyone know the name of the specific chip to let you copy your games to the HD?

Judge Smails
12-23-2004, 12:46 AM
Actually, Rush has a new game for x-box just out.

A vastly underrated x-box game is the first Buffy game. It made me start watching the show.

Nevermind, I was thinking of Outrun 2.

BCD
12-23-2004, 01:19 AM
My son has an Xbox and a gamecube. He plays the 'cube a bit more. I'm not much of a gamer, however I voted for Xbox because of their Midway/Atari classic games...

Taco John
12-23-2004, 03:13 AM

PC's are for work, fogey! :cuss:

XBOX or die, d00dz!

Taco John
12-23-2004, 03:15 AM

Dude you're killing me here... I know it's under the tree...

No way will I get away with unwrapping it early. :cuss:

Taco John
12-23-2004, 03:23 AM
Seriously, though Fraz... If you're a gamer, you should have no reason to hold a grudge against XBOX. I have always loved PC gaming, but there is something to be said for console gaming... And XBOX IS the killer app console. If you're a gamer, and you're denying yourself the wonders of the Xbox, you're hurting no one but yourself.

I used to be biased against the Xbox. I'm glad I got over that shiat. Xbox is the best gaming system by a mile...

That being said... I also have Metroid Prime 2 under the tree. I loves me some Nintendo.

Taco John
12-23-2004, 03:26 AM
By game system I assume platform and not PC/Mac.

And IMHO hardware is not nearly as important as the quality of games/software available.

Hardware you have to say X-Box, but as far as selection of games it's by far PS2. There's just so much diversity and such a huge selection on PS2.

A selection of inferior titles, imo...

the Talking Can
12-23-2004, 04:58 AM
Dude you're killing me here... I know it's under the tree...

No way will I get away with unwrapping it early. :cuss:

I can't even describe it...I'm not a fan of first person shooters, nor the more dungeon and dragon-y RPG (honestly, I rarely use my Xbox), but this is such a perfect combo of role playing/narrative and action that is not button-mashing-arcade style or ultra-complicated-button-combo-pressing...its wierd, but if feels like a movie...I'm always thinking about the story and the consequences of my actions and rarely about the actual fighting (which is cool once you have a lightsaber [which takes a long time to get])...you can't just wander around anywhere ala GTA, but I like the way it propels you forward (and the story never stops unfolding, nothing is obvious or simple)...I've never been able to play anything but sports because I don't have the patience, but this has sucked me into a black hole of addiction...some of the characters in this are infinetly cooler than anything in the last 2 Star Suck movies....and it is loooooooong...my machine says I've clocked 40 hrs and I think I'm only 3/4 done (IF that)...I didn't play the first one, but I already can't wait till the next (a little better graphics and it would be the perfect game, imho)

uh, yeah...it kicks ass

Ash
12-23-2004, 06:11 AM
I like my xbox but halflife 2 multiplayer owns my free time currently.

htismaqe
12-23-2004, 08:58 AM
It used to be the PC, and I still think the best RPG/strategy games exist on the PC.

But I have two kids, sitting at a PC for any length of time is impossible.

I have both PS2 and XBox, so it really depends. If I had to choose one, I'd go XBox since I have a big screen HD and the XBox supports HD so much better...

Ghostof
12-23-2004, 08:59 AM
TurboGrafx-16!

Legendary Axe 1 and 2

Saulbadguy
12-23-2004, 11:20 AM

PC games should take longer to develop. With an Xbox game, you are developing it for ONE platform, and one piece of hardware. With a PC game, you are developing it for one platform, but millions of different hardware combinations.

htismaqe
12-23-2004, 11:22 AM
TurboGrafx-16!

Legendary Axe 1 and 2

TV Sports Football!!!

Milkbone Jones is the best CB to ever grace a console FB game!

"Hi Mom!"

Saulbadguy
12-23-2004, 11:23 AM
XBox has the superior hardware, but i'm a PS2 fanboi. My "game system timeline" went something like this:

Coleco Vision
NES
SNES
Sega Genesis (same time as SNES basically)
Nintendo 64
Playstation 1 (shortly after the N64)
Sega Dreamcast (didnt play it that much)
Playstation 2 (my favorite)

I have an XBox, but rarely use it. I don't like the controller...and thats pretty much my main gripe. When I was younger I could easily master the controllers, as they were much simpler. Now its tougher, with multitudes of different buttons and such. Plus the PS2 was easy to move to since it uses essentially the same controller as the Playstation.

Saulbadguy
12-23-2004, 11:24 AM
TurboGrafx-16!

Legendary Axe 1 and 2
Heh. Those games were like little credit cards. I never found a game I liked on that system.

wutamess
12-23-2004, 11:25 AM
Halo 2 is WAY overrated.
It's the same as Unreal Tournament on PC.

Ghost Recon 2 is a BIG dissapointment because of it's online play.

Bought Call of Duty the other day... Haven't played it yet. Hope it doesn't let me down.

~ QiQass: Old Ghost Recon 1 & Island Thunder vet.

ChiefsFire
12-23-2004, 11:37 AM
PS2 ya dumbazzez

AeroSquid
12-23-2004, 11:40 AM
Halo 2 is WAY overrated.
It's the same as Unreal Tournament on PC.

Ghost Recon 2 is a BIG dissapointment because of it's online play.

Bought Call of Duty the other day... Haven't played it yet. Hope it doesn't let me down.

~ QiQass: Old Ghost Recon 1 & Island Thunder vet.

HL2 may be overrated but it does NOT = Unreal Tournament. UT has no single player story line. If you're not playing HL2 on a pc that can handle it (6800GT or better) then you haven't really played it at all.

PC Games own consoles in every aspect. It costs a lot more to play pc games but it's worth it.

htismaqe
12-23-2004, 11:43 AM
XBox has the superior hardware, but i'm a PS2 fanboi. My "game system timeline" went something like this:

Coleco Vision
NES
SNES
Sega Genesis (same time as SNES basically)
Nintendo 64
Playstation 1 (shortly after the N64)
Sega Dreamcast (didnt play it that much)
Playstation 2 (my favorite)

I have an XBox, but rarely use it. I don't like the controller...and thats pretty much my main gripe. When I was younger I could easily master the controllers, as they were much simpler. Now its tougher, with multitudes of different buttons and such. Plus the PS2 was easy to move to since it uses essentially the same controller as the Playstation.

That's funny, because that's the number 1 gripe I hear about the XBox -- the controller.

I have the XBox S Controller and I actually PREFER it to the PS2 now that I'm used to it. The PS2 controller if far too small...

htismaqe
12-23-2004, 11:44 AM
Heh. Those games were like little credit cards. I never found a game I liked on that system.

TV Sports Football!!!

The RB for the Rhinos, known only as "The Beast" was unstoppable!

"Hi Mom!"

Lzen
12-23-2004, 12:05 PM
I voted PS2 only because I own one and am more familiar with it. Although I will say that the Xbox has come a long ways since it first came out. At least with Xbox, you get a hard drive already built in and the modem. The PS2 hard drive is $100 and comes with Final Fantasy online. The PS2 modem is $40 and just comes with a demo disk.

Someone said that the PS2 has more games to choose from. I wonder if that's really true anymor, at least with all the new games coming out. I don't know either way. Can someone provide facts one way or the other?

Like Saul, I don't care for the Xbox controller. I prefer the smaller PS2 one. Although the controller would be a minor thing. I could probably get used to an Xbox controller.

All that being said, I won't be switching anytime soon. Games like the Metal Gear Solid series (part 3 just came out), Gran Turismo series (part 4 is supposed to be out this month, I believe), as well as some others will keep me playing the PS2.

And for those that claim the superior Xbox graphics, I say nonsense. They may be slightly better, but not that noticeable of a difference. I've played on both systems. I'm talking through a regular connection, not the HD as Parker mentioned.

Saulbadguy
12-23-2004, 12:40 PM
I voted PS2 only because I own one and am more familiar with it. Although I will say that the Xbox has come a long ways since it first came out. At least with Xbox, you get a hard drive already built in and the modem. The PS2 hard drive is $100 and comes with Final Fantasy online. The PS2 modem is $40 and just comes with a demo disk.

You can put a regular hard drive (can't be a western digital though..) in a PS2 if you have the network adapter. Then you can use the HDLoader program to boot off it and copy and play games off it. :)

And for those that claim the superior Xbox graphics, I say nonsense. They may be slightly better, but not that noticeable of a difference. I've played on both systems. I'm talking through a regular connection, not the HD as Parker mentioned.
Xbox does have the superior graphics, IMO. I've played the same game on both systems. XBox has the newer hardware, and it looks less "blocky" than PS2.

LiL stumppy
12-23-2004, 12:56 PM
PS2.It plays DVD's and for an x-box to do that you have to buy a 50 doller setup for it to play DVDS.The conrols arn't hude like the x-boxes.(TRUST ME THEY ARE HUGE).It is cheaper and it is much smaller.The graphics are the same.Well at least for the football games because those are the only games I play.I would def. go with the PS2.

HC_Chief
12-23-2004, 01:17 PM
Depends on what you're looking for.

Xbox = superior graphics. If you have an HDTV, you can play your games in high-def (720p to be precise). It is the only system that allows for HD at this time. The games are good... graphics are excellent. Costs the same as a PS2

PS2 = most games. There are literally thousands of titles to choose from PLUS you can play all the PSX (Playstation 1) games on it right out of the box. PS/2 is the most inclusive package.

Gamecube = family-oriented gaming. PS2 and XBox have a lot of adult-oriented games; Gamecube titles are more acceptable for the kiddies. Good graphics, fun games, and costs less than the other two consoles.

irishjayhawk
12-23-2004, 01:21 PM
Whats amazing, is that the PS2 came out a year, full year, BEFORE the xbox.

irishjayhawk
12-23-2004, 01:24 PM
Oh yeah, and online play for the PS2 doesn't cost a PENNY. Unlike M$.

Rausch
12-23-2004, 01:31 PM
TurboGrafx-16!

Legendary Axe 1 and 2

I've still got a Panasonic 3DO...Verson 2. Play Foes of Ali all time...

htismaqe
12-23-2004, 01:42 PM

Enjoy it now. Sony is implementing a pay-to-play system.

HC_Chief
12-23-2004, 01:43 PM
Enjoy it now. Sony is implementing a pay-to-play system.

Will that be for PS/2 as well, or just the PS/3?

KCTitus
12-23-2004, 01:45 PM
Whichever console has Gran Turismo and Grand Theft Auto series on it, is my system. Those are the only games I play regularly. I totally suck at Madden/Espn football...I've practiced and played the cpu and still cant win.

htismaqe
12-23-2004, 01:47 PM
Whats amazing, is that the PS2 came out a year, full year, BEFORE the xbox.

It's not really that amazing, considering the XBox is a MUCH more powerful system.

Try playing a game like Dynasty Warriors on both systems and you'll understand. The graphics and presentation on the XBox are flawless and the frame rate is constant. On the PS2, you'll get jaggies and the frame rate fluctuates at times as low as 10fps.

Seriously folks. Alot of the XBox bashing you're reading here is from PS2 fans that can't stand Microsoft. Most of them have likely NEVER used an XBox, let alone compared the two boxes side by side.

Take it from someone who owns both, and LIKES both -- if you have an HDTV and you want the best graphics a console can offer, you want an XBox. If you want a wide variety of games (specifically RPG's), you want a PS2.

HC_Chief
12-23-2004, 01:48 PM
FTR, I WILL own a PS3!!! :D

64b architecture, nVidia graphics, completely wireless.... it's a bad mofo. Too bad we have to wait 'til mid/late 2006 :(

htismaqe
12-23-2004, 01:50 PM
Will that be for PS/2 as well, or just the PS/3?

From what I hear, Madden (for the PS2) will cost money next year, due to changes by Sony...

HC_Chief
12-23-2004, 01:51 PM
From what I hear, Madden (for the PS2) will cost money next year, due to changes by Sony...

Heh, I'm not surprised. They're dumping TONS of $ into developing the PS3 hardware. From everything I've read, it's revolutionary stuff. They'll make a mint in the aftermarket applications for the technology alone.

Lzen
12-23-2004, 02:05 PM
The only 2 online games I've played on PS2 are Madden and Everquest. Madden is free but, Everquest cost 10 bucks a month. Heh, I haven't even played Madden 05 online yet. Too many cheesers in the past makes me weary of online play.
:shake:

Oh, I did play Twisted Metal Black online a couple times when I first got it. But that was all.

Pants
12-23-2004, 02:23 PM
PS2.It plays DVD's and for an x-box to do that you have to buy a 50 doller setup for it to play DVDS.The conrols arn't hude like the x-boxes.(TRUST ME THEY ARE HUGE).It is cheaper and it is much smaller.The graphics are the same.Well at least for the football games because those are the only games I play.I would def. go with the PS2.

Can you be any more wrong? No.

The DVD set up costs $20, not $50 (and always has, at least as long as I can remeber). Besides it was on full rebate for like a year on Xbox website, so whoever wanted it, got it for free. For Sony, you still had to buy the remote, unless you wanted to use the controller (silly). Besides, for Xbox you don't have to buy HD or memory cards (a lot more than $20). HD is important because it lets you create custom soundtracks for your games (I love having a Radio Station in GTA games which plays the songs I put in).

The Xbox controller S is slightly bigger than the PS2 controller, but feels much better IMO due to the way the triggers are set up. They are not buttons, but actual triggers and make it much easier to play games which require pressure sensitive controlls (i.e. racing games).

As for the amount of games, yeah PS2 has a shitload games, but a lot of them are weird jap games, which I, personally, would never touch.

Whoever says the graphics don't differ much, has obvioulsy never played both systems. If they say they have, they are most likely lying. That is one are Xbox TRULLY owns PS2, by a mile.

As for XBL (internet) costing money for the Box, the service is much better with a lot more options and is much easier to set up than PS2.

Conclusion: Xbox > PS2

P.S. GTA:SA (better version) is coming out in June for the Box. It's gonna be a long Summer, heh.

Lzen
12-23-2004, 02:26 PM
I've played Madden and ESPN on Xbox as well as the PS2. I've also watched my kids play Halo on Xbox. While the graphics are a little better, they are not a lot better. A mile? Come on, get real.

Pants
12-23-2004, 02:30 PM
I've played Madden and ESPN on Xbox as well as the PS2. I've also watched my kids play Halo on Xbox. While the graphics are a little better, they are not a lot better. A mile? Come on, get real.

True, Madden looks shitty on both. ESPN, though, is MUCH better on Xbox (I've played both). Vice City are day and night on Xbox and PS2. As for Halo 2, PS2 simply doesn't have the hardware to handle anything like that.

Taco John
12-23-2004, 02:36 PM
I can't even describe it...I'm not a fan of first person shooters, nor the more dungeon and dragon-y RPG (honestly, I rarely use my Xbox), but this is such a perfect combo of role playing/narrative and action that is not button-mashing-arcade style or ultra-complicated-button-combo-pressing...its wierd, but if feels like a movie...I'm always thinking about the story and the consequences of my actions and rarely about the actual fighting (which is cool once you have a lightsaber [which takes a long time to get])...you can't just wander around anywhere ala GTA, but I like the way it propels you forward (and the story never stops unfolding, nothing is obvious or simple)...I've never been able to play anything but sports because I don't have the patience, but this has sucked me into a black hole of addiction...some of the characters in this are infinetly cooler than anything in the last 2 Star Suck movies....and it is loooooooong...my machine says I've clocked 40 hrs and I think I'm only 3/4 done (IF that)...I didn't play the first one, but I already can't wait till the next (a little better graphics and it would be the perfect game, imho)

uh, yeah...it kicks ass

Yep yep yep yep yep! All the stuff that made me LOVE the first one. If you didn't play the first one, you're going to want to swing back around and pick it up. Also, the new Lort of the Rings RPG is an idea spun off of KOTOR.

I love the game because of the story it tells... Grade A gameplaying.

Pants
12-23-2004, 02:40 PM
Yep yep yep yep yep! All the stuff that made me LOVE the first one. If you didn't play the first one, you're going to want to swing back around and pick it up. Also, the new Lort of the Rings RPG is an idea spun off of KOTOR.

I love the game because of the story it tells... Grade A gameplaying.

My roomate got it. It's not too bad, but i don't think it's nearly as good as KOTOR, simply because it's way too linear. He got bored with it pretty soon, too. I'm no fan of Star Wars, but KOTOR was easy a top 5 game for me. Simply amazing. I rented it and had it for 2 weeks (had to pay extra, heh).

Taco John
12-23-2004, 02:48 PM
That's funny, because that's the number 1 gripe I hear about the XBox -- the controller.

I have the XBox S Controller and I actually PREFER it to the PS2 now that I'm used to it. The PS2 controller if far too small...

Man, I LOVE the XBOX controller... I think it's one of the best designed controllers ever. I love their thumbsticks, and button layout. I think it's perfect. But then, I think a lot of that is variable on whether you like multiple trigger buttons or not. I don't. I want my trigger to be for one thing and one thing only. I like controllers that don't make me use my index finger for anything but killing.

HC_Chief
12-23-2004, 02:49 PM

I think it depends on the game. The best resolution you're going to get on a PS/2 = 480p. XBox will do 720p. The difference is quite noticeable on larger screens.

Plus, the XBox anti-aliasing (AA) technology is better than the PS/2's. That's why XBox games look better: the graphics are not as 'jagged' (AA redraws and smooths outside lines on a polygon... its purpose is to reduce/eliminate jagged edges)

irishjayhawk
12-23-2004, 03:21 PM
It's not really that amazing, considering the XBox is a MUCH more powerful system.

Try playing a game like Dynasty Warriors on both systems and you'll understand. The graphics and presentation on the XBox are flawless and the frame rate is constant. On the PS2, you'll get jaggies and the frame rate fluctuates at times as low as 10fps.

Seriously folks. Alot of the XBox bashing you're reading here is from PS2 fans that can't stand Microsoft. Most of them have likely NEVER used an XBox, let alone compared the two boxes side by side.

Take it from someone who owns both, and LIKES both -- if you have an HDTV and you want the best graphics a console can offer, you want an XBox. If you want a wide variety of games (specifically RPG's), you want a PS2.

You missed the point.

Xbox = better specs because a year passed. A year in technology is a hell of a lot. Plus, M$ announced their specs, Sony would try to match.

So no wonder it has better graphics.....

Saulbadguy
12-23-2004, 03:23 PM
I think it depends on the game. The best resolution you're going to get on a PS/2 = 480p. XBox will do 720p. The difference is quite noticeable on larger screens.

Plus, the XBox anti-aliasing (AA) technology is better than the PS/2's. That's why XBox games look better: the graphics are not as 'jagged' (AA redraws and smooths outside lines on a polygon... its purpose is to reduce/eliminate jagged edges)
XBox can do 1080i as well, on a few games. :)

Pants
12-23-2004, 03:23 PM
You missed the point.

Xbox = better specs because a year passed. A year in technology is a hell of a lot. Plus, M$ announced their specs, Sony would try to match.

So no wonder it has better graphics.....

Exactly, so it's a better system. No one is arguing who's better, Sony or MS. We are arguing about the systems. Xbox, like you yourself said, is superior.

irishjayhawk
12-23-2004, 03:28 PM
I agree with most people. It depends. I am saying, before his quote, that it is amazing that the PS2 came out a year before and people think Microsoft did the biggest thing in the world by making the graphics better.

If M$ and Sony released a system simultaneously, it would probably be extremely hard to tell any difference.

Right now:
Xbox > PS2 - Graphically
Xbox < PS2 - Game Selection. And no most aren't jap games whoever said that..

I just thought it was funny that most people think the Xbox blows PS2 out of the water graphically when it isn't even a fair comparison. Mircro$oft had a year to build superior gaming system...no wonder its superior.

A better comparison is the GameCube to the Xbox, since they were released at the same time in hopes for competition. Nintendo sucks a dick so Xbox clearly won that battle. The PS2 clearly beat Nintendo and ithe PS2, again, was released a year before.

So, I was just trying to point out a fact, when he missed the point....

Saulbadguy
12-23-2004, 03:30 PM
Nintendo sucks a dick so Xbox clearly won that battle. The PS2 clearly beat Nintendo and ithe PS2, again, was released a year before.

:spock:

Well, can't argue with that logic.

irishjayhawk
12-23-2004, 03:31 PM
One major oversight in Sony was the failure to keep GTA series a PS/2 series only. That was a big mistake.

The other mistake is not building a "Halo" killer, which can be done...not graphcially but surely gameplay wise...

irishjayhawk
12-23-2004, 03:33 PM
:spock:

Well, can't argue with that logic.
Nintendo = childish, cartoony graphics.

Or.

Xbox/PS2 - superior graphics, games etc

Nintendo flat out lost.

Saulbadguy
12-23-2004, 03:33 PM

Or.

Nintendo flat out lost.
You are forgetting a fairly large portion of the video game market:

Children.

Saulbadguy
12-23-2004, 03:34 PM
Nintendo also absolutely DOMINATES the portable market.

Pants
12-23-2004, 03:35 PM
I agree with most people. It depends. I am saying, before his quote, that it is amazing that the PS2 came out a year before and people think Microsoft did the biggest thing in the world by making the graphics better.

If M$ and Sony released a system simultaneously, it would probably be extremely hard to tell any difference.

Right now:
Xbox > PS2 - Graphically
Xbox < PS2 - Game Selection. And no most aren't jap games whoever said that..

I just thought it was funny that most people think the Xbox blows PS2 out of the water graphically when it isn't even a fair comparison. Mircro$oft had a year to build superior gaming system...no wonder its superior.

A better comparison is the GameCube to the Xbox, since they were released at the same time in hopes for competition. Nintendo sucks a dick so Xbox clearly won that battle. The PS2 clearly beat Nintendo and ithe PS2, again, was released a year before.

So, I was just trying to point out a fact, when he missed the point....

Who cares if it's a fair comparison? I still don't get your point. Are you saying Xbox is better? And yeah, PS2 does have a lot more games. Reasons: Jap market and it had a year and a half more time to build it's library (that would be your point). BUT I do believe Xbox has more superior titles than PS2, and people don't tend to own 100's of games, they only get the best. In that category Xbox wins, IMO.

irishjayhawk
12-23-2004, 03:35 PM
Yes, but the bigger market is teens->young adults. 14-28 range.

Saulbadguy
12-23-2004, 03:37 PM
Yes, but the bigger market is teens->young adults. 14-28 range.
Point being? That doesn't make either one a better system. Each system serves its purpose.

Deberg_1990
12-23-2004, 04:03 PM
No Sega Genesis fans in the house??

Pants
12-23-2004, 06:13 PM
Just beat Half-Life 2. Wow. Simply wow. Best game ever, period. Guess that makes PC the best system. :shrug:

Seriously, that was probably the most incredible game I've played, both on PC and the box. Incredible.

Judge Smails
12-23-2004, 06:28 PM

Or.

Nintendo flat out lost.

Actually, Gamecube does have killer graphics, better than alot of ps2 games imo. Check out the more recent Resident Evil games and you would see for yourself.

I have all three and I play my Xbox a TON more than the other two, but it is due to the type of games I prefer (FPS mainly). I love the Xbox controller, followed by the gamecube controller. I can't stand ps2's.

Douche Baggins
12-23-2004, 06:33 PM
Just beat Half-Life 2. Wow. Simply wow. Best game ever, period. Guess that makes PC the best system. :shrug:

Seriously, that was probably the most incredible game I've played, both on PC and the box. Incredible.

Ayup! The PC pwnz0rs them all! And Half-Life 2 rules!

http://img156.exs.cx/img156/638/d3_c17_120007.jpg

Brando
12-23-2004, 06:38 PM
For my money I'll keep my X-Box. I had a PS2 and had some trouble with it. I will probably buy a new one once Grand Turismo 4 comes out.

Pants
12-23-2004, 06:57 PM
For my money I'll keep my X-Box. I had a PS2 and had some trouble with it. I will probably buy a new one once Grand Turismo 4 comes out.

It looks like Forza Motorsports might be a GT killer. But I agree, GT and GTA series (I'm impatient) are the only reasons I'd even think about getting a PS2.

Brando
12-23-2004, 07:00 PM
It looks like Forza Motorsports might be a GT killer. But I agree, GT and GTA series (I'm impatient) are the only reasons I'd even think about getting a PS2.
Allright we agree on something! :thumb: Forza looks pretty good. You have any idea when that's supposed to be out?

Pants
12-23-2004, 07:04 PM
Allright we agree on something! :thumb: Forza looks pretty good. You have any idea when that's supposed to be out?

April. It looks freaking amazing.

Brando
12-23-2004, 07:07 PM
April. It looks freaking amazing.
It does but I've been hooked on GT since it came out. I really hope that it can break the bond! I can't imagine a racing simulator better than GT but I would love to see it.

Pitt Gorilla
12-23-2004, 09:45 PM
Xbox easily.