PDA

View Full Version : NHL season likely dead 01/14/2005

unlurking
12-23-2004, 07:57 AM
NHL sets doomsday

Bettman is likely to get approval from board of governors to cancel season Jan. 14

By Ted Kulfan / The Detroit News

http://www.detnews.com/2004/wings/0412/23/d01-41163.htm

DETROIT -- The hockey season -- and the future of the game -- has its drop-dead date: Jan. 14.

The NHL board of governors meets that day and expects to give Commissioner Gary Bettman its approval to cancel the 2004-05 season because of the lockout.

"I can't confirm any particular agenda for that meeting," Bill Daly, the NHL's chief legal officer, told The Associated Press in an e-mail. "I think it would be premature to do that, and quite frankly, unfair to the process."

The lockout reached its 99th day today, with no settlement in sight. A total of 470 games has been lost, as well as the All-Star Game.

Bettman and Bob Goodenow, executive director of the players' association, have no meetings scheduled, and neither side is believed to be working on a new proposal.

The sides haven't met since Dec. 14 in Toronto, where the NHL rejected the union's proposal for an across-the-board 24 percent salary rollback. The owners countered with a proposal that was based on a salary cap. The players' association rejected that.

The union has said it will not accept a salary cap.

"The calendar is not an issue," Bettman said earlier this month. "It's about making the right deal."

Bettman doesn't need a vote or the formal approval of the board of governors to cancel the season.

No professional season in North America has been lost because of a labor dispute.

The Stanley Cup, one of the most revered championship trophies in the world, has been awarded every season since 1919-20. A flu epidemic ended the Finals for the 1918-19 season.

The NHL lockout during the 1994-95 season ended Jan. 11, allowing a 48-game season.

Detroit News wire services contributed to this report.

beavis
12-23-2004, 08:02 AM
Don't they usually start around that time anyway? :p

alpha_omega
12-23-2004, 08:10 AM
Not missing it at all!

Bearcat
12-23-2004, 08:52 AM
F*cking Bettman. He should be repeatedly kicked in the nuts by every employee, player, and fan of the NHL, and then have flaming, pointy, splintery hockey sticks shoved sideways up his ass.

And then with all his free time, maybe lookup the word compromise.

Ignorant slut.

Phobia
12-23-2004, 09:17 AM
No kidding. I've been oblivious to it. I guess I'm not a real fan....

unlurking
12-23-2004, 09:42 AM
F*cking Bettman. He should be repeatedly kicked in the nuts by every employee, player, and fan of the NHL, and then have flaming, pointy, splintery hockey sticks shoved sideways up his ass.

Ignorant slut.
Just me, but that seems a little too "nice".

;)

Baby Lee
12-23-2004, 09:43 AM
Funny that the story of this situation is not that the NHL isn't playing, but that NO ONE CARES.
You'd get more emotion if they cancelled the WNBA.

chiefs4me
12-23-2004, 09:46 AM
Funny that the story of this situation is not that the NHL isn't playing, but that NO ONE CARES.

screw you,,,people do care they just aren't posting about it on a football message board,,,,,,and the season can still be saved. They are saying there is still a 40 percent chance they will play,,,,,,,so bring back my HOCKEY.:deevee:

unlurking
12-23-2004, 09:47 AM
Really?!

Is the WNBA still around?

Thig Lyfe
12-23-2004, 09:59 AM

In the USA that would be true. Girls dreams of playing pro ball would be dashed! However with the NHL nobody gives a crap except the Canadians and a few traitorous Canadian wanna-bes.

:p

I actually have nothing against hockey. It's very entertaining in person. But it has failed miserably in terms of marketing and pr. It's not a great game on TV as it is, and the NHL hasn't done anything to help itself.

Bearcat
12-23-2004, 10:04 AM
Just me, but that seems a little too "nice".

;)

...and then, casteration by a dull, rusty jigsaw.... and then 12 hours in a room with Sayid to show him what real pain is.

Baby Lee
12-23-2004, 10:12 AM
screw you,,,people do care they just aren't posting about it on a football message board,,,,,,and the season can still be saved. They are saying there is still a 40 percent chance they will play,,,,,,,so bring back my HOCKEY.:deevee:
Play nice. I didn't literally mean 'not a single person on earth cares.' But you have to know that the public reaction to this has been a decided "meh?"

RNR
12-23-2004, 10:15 AM
Play nice. I didn't literally mean 'not a single person on earth cares.' But you have to know that the public reaction to this has been a decided "meh?" Yeah counting him there is atleast 5 or 6 people who care.

Bearcat
12-23-2004, 10:18 AM

It's actually pretty stupid... the same number of people that cared before didn't just vanish. The people that are saying no one cares are the same ones that didn't care before, so just STFU and not care.

Minnesota, Detroit, Colorado, New York, Dallas, and LA were all near the top of the league in % of capacity last year.

Not bad for such an overpriced, boring, Canadian/cold weather city sport.

Bearcat
12-23-2004, 10:20 AM
Play nice. I didn't literally mean 'not a single person on earth cares.' But you have to know that the public reaction to this has been a decided "meh?"

Well, yeah, but that's the same public reaction to "Tampa Bay wins the Stanley Cup" ...right after "What's that?"

Baby Lee
12-23-2004, 10:24 AM
It's actually pretty stupid... the same number of people that cared before didn't just vanish. The people that are saying no one cares are the same ones that didn't care before, so just STFU and not care.

Minnesota, Detroit, Colorado, New York, Dallas, and LA were all near the top of the league in % of capacity last year.

Not bad for such an overpriced, boring, Canadian/cold weather city sport.
Well, yeah, but that's the same public reaction to "Tampa Bay wins the Stanley Cup" ...right after "What's that?"
I think you're making my case for me.
Hey, I like watching hockey. But the debate before this situation was "OK, NFL is #1 and MLB is #2, who's #3, the NBA or the NHL?"
Now it's looking more like the NHL ranks behind, the NBA, NASCAR, Golf, maybe even soccer, on the national scene.

seclark
12-23-2004, 10:26 AM
i love hockey...but this season's toast.
sec

RedandGold
12-23-2004, 10:28 AM
I'm sorry, but I have a difficult time getting too excited about irrelevant sports...

For me, this is the equivalent of the professional lacrosse league threatening to cancel its season.

Baby Lee
12-23-2004, 10:30 AM
I'm sorry, but I have a difficult time getting too excited about irrelevant sports...

For me, this is the equivalent of the professional lacrosse league threatening to cancel its season.
Hey! Why don't you "just STFU and not care?!"

RedandGold
12-23-2004, 10:37 AM
Hey! Why don't you "just STFU and not care?!"

Because that wouldn't get much of a reaction!

:D

morphius
12-23-2004, 10:40 AM
I also don't think many people will miss hockey until the NFL season is done and are stuck watching the WWE failed Ref's calling NBA games...

unlurking
12-23-2004, 10:41 AM
Well, no matter what the "average American" watches sports-wise, my personal opinion is that if it doesn't have some form of violent confrantation, I'm not too interested. So basically, the only sports I watch are Football, Hockey, and Boxing (oh for the days when ESPN2 used to show Rugby and Mui Tai fights back to back!).

HC_Chief
12-23-2004, 10:42 AM
Good.
This is exactly what was needed: lock the players out, scrap the season and put a salary cap in place. Model the NHL after the NFL :thumb:

Sometimes you need to break something to fix it.

Bearcat
12-23-2004, 10:44 AM
I think you're making my case for me.
Hey, I like watching hockey. But the debate before this situation was "OK, NFL is #1 and MLB is #2, who's #3, the NBA or the NHL?"
Now it's looking more like the NHL ranks behind, the NBA, NASCAR, Golf, maybe even soccer, on the national scene.

Well, I'm not going say that it should make national news or that people should care, because I know it's always been "the big 3, and then hockey". However, I don't think it's behind golf or the MLS or WNBA. NASCAR actually knows how to market the product, and you can't argue with 150,000 fans per race.

I know where it stands, but I've seen countless articles that include "....but it doesn't seem like anyone cares" when talking about them not playing. Well, it didn't seem like anyone cared before, so why would it seem like people cared now?

Minor league hockey attendance is up from previous years, which shows that the NHL is missed.... what else hockey fans are supposed to do to show that we care, I don't know.

unlurking
12-23-2004, 11:01 AM
Hey, not everyone can be a Scanlon Fan!

the Talking Can
12-23-2004, 11:01 AM
what's the NHL?

the Talking Can
12-23-2004, 11:04 AM
there was a poll recently (seriously) that ranked the NHL 10th in sports people are most interested in...ahead of only the WWF (again, seriously)...

chiefs4me
12-23-2004, 12:07 PM

well then a little NEG rep won't hurt you,,,,

Calcountry
12-23-2004, 12:09 PM

Ignorant slut.
Somebody had a parody about the John Lennon song, but instead of "no heaven", they said, "Immagine there's no Hockey"

Just a thought.

gblowfish
12-23-2004, 12:11 PM
My sister used to be a big Chiefs fan, till she got married and moved to St. Louis back around 1980. Now she ignores football and she's a huge St. Louis Blues fan. Hockey is the only pro sport she likes.

Personally, I don't care too much about hockey, but some people are having a serious Jones for hockey right now. Hope they can sort it out. The big labor fight could affect other sports down the road, like Major League Baseball. We can only dream of a salary cap in baseball. Maybe someday the Royals will be contenders again...ahh...to re-capture my youth!

brent102fire
12-23-2004, 12:12 PM
ZZZ

Chiefnj
12-23-2004, 12:14 PM
Hockey needs to be more like baseball; more steroids. They need guys being checked through the glass 4 or 5 times a game to get the t.v. ratings up. Maybe Bonds can share some of his "dry skin cream" with Lindros.