PDA

View Full Version : Is there any fruit better than....

Frankie
12-23-2004, 08:21 AM
... Pomegranates?

Mmmm...Just ate the last :( one I had bought for Monday night. They ain't cheap here in the midwest.

:)

Iowanian
12-23-2004, 08:29 AM
I don't even know what the hell those are, but it sounds like something that goes good with bacon.

Give me the standard Apple, Orange, Pear, Peach. I'll leave the Hippy fruit to the veggies, urbanites and the island folk.

RNR
12-23-2004, 08:30 AM
I don't even know what the hell those are, but it sounds like something that goes good with bacon.

Give me the standard Apple, Orange, Pear, Peach. I'll leave the Hippy fruit to the veggies, urbanites and the island folk.
ROFL I will fess up I have never heard of it.

MOhillbilly
12-23-2004, 08:32 AM
watermelon is pretty hard to beat.

Skip Towne
12-23-2004, 08:33 AM
I'll bet they could sell more of them if more of us knew what they were.

Iowanian
12-23-2004, 08:36 AM
Whats the Over-Under on the first Ghey joke?

RNR
12-23-2004, 08:38 AM
we are already over.

Baby Lee
12-23-2004, 08:44 AM
Nothing beats a clementine, except maybe a really good orange.
Peaches come in close behind.

Iowanian
12-23-2004, 08:46 AM
O' mah darlin O' mah daaaarlin O' mah daaaaaaaaarlin' Cleeeemontiiiiiiiiiine

-AwFawfa

Saulbadguy
12-23-2004, 08:47 AM
I'll bet they could sell more of them if more of us knew what they were.
I don't think they are very good. Way too freaking tart. I would never eat them plain.

Saulbadguy
12-23-2004, 08:48 AM
Strawberries for me, though.

Frankie
12-23-2004, 08:54 AM

You live in California, don't you?

Phobia
12-23-2004, 08:55 AM
I'm pretty fond of papaya, mango, plantains, and rhubarb. Not together. Pomegranates are okay, but they aren't on my list. I'm not a big fruit eater, usually.

Frankie
12-23-2004, 09:00 AM
watermelon is pretty hard to beat.
WM is near the top of my list too. Right above Grape and Orange. But Pomegranate beats'm all.

Rain Man
12-23-2004, 09:00 AM
Is the pomegranate the thing with all of the seeds? How do you eat it? I bought one once and puzzled over it like an ape with a shotgun, and never figured it out.

I'm with mohillbilly on this one. Watermelon is hard to beat.

Iowanian
12-23-2004, 09:01 AM
I'm not a big fruit eater, usually.

I heard you were particularly fond of the man-banana.

Raiderhader
12-23-2004, 09:01 AM
Cherries and peaches.

MOhillbilly
12-23-2004, 09:03 AM
blueberries are good.

Radar Chief
12-23-2004, 09:06 AM

Anton is gonna be along any minute now to explain just who the best fruit is.

Braincase
Hate watermelon. Something in it irritates my vocal chords.

Pomegranates are forbidden by the First Church of Bob. Eve offered them to Adam, he took one bite, next thing ya know, Eve is saying, "Now big boy, check out these melons".

Frankie
I don't think they are very good. Way too freaking tart. I would never eat them plain.

Tart?.... TART?....As if that's bad.

Actually it's more sweet than sour. And all that juice....Hmmmmm.

Hey saul try gently softening one by pressing it in the palm of both hands (OK I can see the sex jokes coming :p ). Then poke a hole in the skin and drink the juice. That's my second favorite way of consuming a Pomegranate.

RNR
12-23-2004, 09:10 AM
You live in California, don't you?Nope Kansas

Baby Lee
12-23-2004, 09:12 AM
I heard you were particularly fond of the man-banana.
It's Atkins friendly!! :thumb:

ChiefsOne
12-23-2004, 09:13 AM
I kinda like the Nasty Fruit!!!

badgirl
12-23-2004, 09:13 AM
tell me what it is and I'll tell you if I've ate it, I too have never heard of it. :hmmm:

Frankie
12-23-2004, 09:14 AM
Is the pomegranate the thing with all of the seeds? How do you eat it? I bought one once and puzzled over it like an ape with a shotgun, and never figured it out.

I'm with mohillbilly on this one. Watermelon is hard to beat.

My favorite way of eating them is freeing all them juicy seeds (berries?) from the leathery skin. Collecting them in a bowl sprinkle a little salt on it and enjoy. Preferably a glass bowl to show off the absolute jewel-like beauty of it. It's actually a great looking fruit. Arguably the best fruit to model for photographers (here come the 'melon' jokes;)).

Frankie
12-23-2004, 09:16 AM
Nope Kansas
Yer a Raider fan?!!! :cuss:

Turncoat!

Brando
12-23-2004, 09:17 AM
My favorite way of eating them is freeing all them juicy seeds (berries?) from the leathery skin. Collecting them in a bowl sprinkle a little salt on it and enjoy. Preferably a glass bowl to show off the absolute jewel-like beauty of it. It's actually a great looking fruit. Arguably the best fruit to model for photographers (here come the 'melon' jokes;)).
Dude...stay out of Michael Jackson's bedroom :thumb:

Donger
12-23-2004, 09:18 AM
... Pomegranates?

Mmmm...Just ate the last :( one I had bought for Monday night. They ain't cheap here in the midwest.

:)

I was basically raised on them. Well, that and Ribena.

If anyone even approaches me with one (or if I see one at the grocery store), I feel like I'm going to vomit.

Frankie
12-23-2004, 09:19 AM
tell me what it is and I'll tell you if I've ate it, I too have never heard of it. :hmmm:

Must.... refrain... from.... joke.

Must.... refrain... from.... joke.

;)

AustinChief
12-23-2004, 09:19 AM

http://www.pomegranates.org/nomess.html

RNR
12-23-2004, 09:23 AM
Yer a R-aider fan?!!! :cuss:

Turncoat! How? the Chiefs don't play in Kansas

stevieray
12-23-2004, 09:25 AM
Phobia is my favorite fruit.

Frankie
12-23-2004, 09:27 AM

But seriously....

It's a red fruit about the size of a large apple. Red and leathery on the outside. But cut one up and it looks like a jewel box full of shiny rubies. Lovely to look at and extremely juicy.

Frankie
12-23-2004, 09:31 AM
I was basically raised on them.
Weren't you raised in England? Do they grow there? :shrug:

Frankie
12-23-2004, 09:32 AM
How? the Chiefs don't play in Kansas
But much closer to you than the Raiders. :harumph:

Donger
12-23-2004, 09:33 AM
Weren't you raised in England? Do they grow there? :shrug:

Sort of. All over the UK, actually.

I've no idea if they grow there, but they were readily available and very cheap.

RNR
12-23-2004, 09:36 AM
But much closer to you than the R-aiders. :harumph:Heck I am close to Denver, Dallas also but they never had a redneck named Stabler play for them!

Frankie
12-23-2004, 09:47 AM
Heck I am close to Denver, Dallas also but they never had a redneck named Stabler play for them!

:LOL: He was a wack job. But an excellent QB. Is he in the HOF?

Frankie
12-23-2004, 09:50 AM
Sort of. All over the UK, actually.

I've no idea if they grow there, but they were readily available and very cheap.

Man, I'm not enamored with California like most are. But just about my only incentive to ever move there is to have a coupla Pomegranate trees in my yard.

Rain Man
12-23-2004, 09:51 AM

Okay, I'm going to ask the stupid question here. Do you eat the seeds, or do you just suck the juicy stuff off of them and then spit them out? They need to come with an instruction manual.

RNR
12-23-2004, 09:51 AM
:LOL: He was a wack job. But an excellent QB. Is he in the HOF?
No I just dug his act, drinking beer in a honky tonk playing country music till the lights came on the night before the game ROFL "Live fast play hard and go deep" was his motto!

HC_Chief
12-23-2004, 09:52 AM
Pomegranates are teh suck. The only edible part = the seeds.

Sumertime peaches are the perfect fruit. Followed closely by bannanas and pears.

Frankie
12-23-2004, 09:54 AM
Okay, I'm going to ask the stupid question here. Do you eat the seeds, or do you just suck the juicy stuff off of them and then spit them out? They need to come with an instruction manual.

Whatever floats your boat. It's yours to enjoy. You can spit out the seeds if you don't want to eat them. That was NOT a dumb question.

Frankie
12-23-2004, 09:57 AM
Pomegranates are teh suck. The only edible part = the seeds.

Sumertime peaches are the perfect fruit. Followed closely by bannanas and pears.
Man your taste is the complete opposite of mine. The fruites you mentioned are in the take'm-or-leave'm category for me.

htismaqe
12-23-2004, 09:57 AM
Pomegranates are a pain in the ass to eat. I've taken to just buying the juice.

RNR
12-23-2004, 09:59 AM
http://www.pomegranates.org/nomess.html
Heck I ain't even seen one

Frankie
12-23-2004, 10:00 AM
Whatever floats your boat. It's yours to enjoy. You can spit out the seeds if you don't want to eat them. That was NOT a dumb question.

Hey Rainman, by "seeds" I assume you meant the tougher core of the super-juicy berries.

HC_Chief
12-23-2004, 10:00 AM
Pomegranates are just too much work for very little return. You have a large, spherical fruit that you have to tear through w/ a g'damned chainsaw, the skin is so thick, then you're presented with inedible flesh and a bunch of little reddish-purple snotballs with seeds for pits. It's a WTF?! fruit, IMO. Sure, they're okay, but more hassle than anything else.

A good, juicy peach.... mmmm, perfecto. Ever see a Seinfeld dedicated to Pomagranates? Didn't think so :p

htismaqe
12-23-2004, 10:03 AM
Pomegranates are just too much work for very little return. You have a large, spherical fruit that you have to tear through w/ a g'damned chainsaw, the skin is so thick, then you're presented with inedible flesh and a bunch of little reddish-purple snotballs with seeds for pits. It's a WTF?! fruit, IMO. Sure, they're okay, but more hassle than anything else.

A good, juicy peach.... mmmm, perfecto. Ever see a Seinfeld dedicated to Pomagranates? Didn't think so :p

Peaches are my favorite...

Frankie
12-23-2004, 10:04 AM
Hey Rainman, by "seeds" I assume you meant the tougher core of the super-juicy berries.

OK the website that AustinChief provided refers to the juicy parts as "arils" (= juice sacks). I learned a new word. :thumb:

Frankie
12-23-2004, 10:11 AM

Your unfair exaggeration aside, Pomegranates are not too much work to eat. For my lifetime, I labored the separating of the arils willingly to enjoy them afterwards. A few years ago, a friend showed me a method that made it REAL EASY. If you are interested I'd tell you how.

Kclee
12-23-2004, 10:18 AM
Mangos

I think it moved!-george

Rain Man
12-23-2004, 10:29 AM

I'm not sure. The inside has a bunch of those globules, each with some kind of opague juicy stuff covering a darker thing in the middle. I assumed that the darker thing is all seed. Is it in turn a "berry" with a third level inside that's a seed?

Baby Lee
12-23-2004, 10:31 AM
Mangos

I think it moved!-george
That's the sign!!

Duck Dog
12-23-2004, 10:32 AM
Anyone remember the book in the '80s called 'Real men don't eat Quiche'?

Yeah, well, it's 2K4 and now we have Pomegranates.

Baby Lee
12-23-2004, 10:32 AM
I'm not sure. The inside has a bunch of those globules, each with some kind of opague juicy stuff covering a darker thing in the middle. I assumed that the darker thing is all seed. Is it in turn a "berry" with a third level inside that's a seed?
Geez, it's like this dumbfvck has never heard of arils. ;)

dtebbe
12-23-2004, 10:36 AM
those pears from Harry & Davids are pretty awesome. I've never had pears that tasty.

DT

Frankie
12-23-2004, 10:49 AM

ROFL

Sounds like you are actually holding one in your hand as you type. The arils in total are eatable. Don't worry about the little seeds in the core. Your mouth will tell you weather to swallow them or spit them out. It's your own preference. If you want I'll tell you how to collect a bunch of them efficiently.

Frankie
12-23-2004, 10:51 AM

This one hadn't. From your post, it sounds like it must be a fairly common word. Well, I just learned it today.

Baby Lee
12-23-2004, 10:59 AM
This one hadn't. From your post, it sounds like it must be a fairly common word. Well, I just learned it today.
No, I was sarcastically tying back into knowledge recently imparted earlier in the thread. Hence the ;).

htismaqe
12-23-2004, 11:06 AM
Anyone remember the book in the '80s called 'Real men don't eat Quiche'?

Yeah, well, it's 2K4 and now we have Pomegranates.

What are you suggesting?

"Real men", since they have lived in caves, have eaten fruit. Pomegranates and other fruits are a staple in the diet of the hunter-gatherer.

Saulbadguy
12-23-2004, 11:10 AM
What are you suggesting?

"Real men", since they have lived in caves, have eaten fruit. Pomegranates and other fruits are a staple in the diet of the hunter-gatherer.
Redneck talk for "me want steak"

Skip Towne
12-23-2004, 11:12 AM
Doesn't anyone like plums? I really like plums and peaches.

htismaqe
12-23-2004, 11:14 AM

Yep.

Plums, peaches, apricots. I like all of them.

Rain Man
12-23-2004, 11:17 AM

Aren't those the pink things around nipples? Stay on the subject here - we're talking about pomegranates.

Saulbadguy
12-23-2004, 11:18 AM
I don't like plums that much, but I like prunes. I'm a fan of dried fruit, I guess.

Hydrae
12-23-2004, 11:24 AM
I agree with those who say it is too much work for the reward. Pomegranates taste great but I am too lazy to spend 1/2 an hour getting the "arils" out of the skin before you get more than just a handful.

So out with it Frankie, what is this little secret for removing the edible parts of the fruit?

Frankie
12-23-2004, 11:25 AM
Hey... Get your own thread. :harumph:

Frankie
12-23-2004, 11:47 AM
I agree with those who say it is too much work for the reward. Pomegranates taste great but I am too lazy to spend 1/2 an hour getting the "arils" out of the skin before you get more than just a handful.

So out with it Frankie, what is this little secret for removing the edible parts of the fruit?

FINALLY! Somebody asked. Here's how it goes:

1-Cut the Pommy in halves around the waist.

2-Take a nice large kitchen bowl and place it in the kitchen sink. Hold each half (one at a time) cut-side down into the kichen bowl with one hand. At this point, you have your thumb holding one edge, and your fingers holding the opposite edge, leaving an exposed area of the skin facing up between your thumb and forefinger.

3-Take a large spoon (like a soup spoon) and using the back of it tap firmly onto the outer skin of the Pommy. This will easily dislodge the arils into the bowl quickly and with no damage. A whole Pommy will take a minute or two to do. I normally do a few at a time.

4-Transfer the arils into a serving bowl, sprinkle a little salt on it (optional but I recommend it) and enjoy.

Your mess in the sink is easily cleaned as only rinsing of things are needed.

Some people use Pomegranate as garnish or on salad. I say SACRILEDGE! To me that's dissing this "Fruit of the Kings!"
:harumph: ;)

Ari Chi3fs
12-23-2004, 11:49 AM
my favorite fruit is punannie... just cant be too ripe. [its best if you clean it before eating.]

Frankie
12-23-2004, 11:52 AM
FINALLY! Sombody asked. Here's how it goes:

1-Cut the Pommy in halves around the waist.

2-Take a nice large kitchen bowl and place it in the kitchen sink.Hold each half (one at a time) cut-side down into a kichen bowl with one hand. At this point, you have your thumb holding one edge, and your finfers holding the other edge, leaving an exposed area of the skin facing up between your thumb and forefinger.

3-Take a large spoon (like a soup spoon) and using the back of it tap firmly onto the outer skin of the Pommy. This will easily dislodge the arils into the bowl quickly and with no damage. A whole Pommy will take a minute or two to do. I normally do a few at a time.

4-Transfer the arils into a serving bowl, sprinkle a little salt on it (optional but I recommend it) and enjoy.

Your mess in the sink is easily cleaned as only rinsing of things are needed.

Some people use Pomegranate as garnish or on salad. I say SACRILEDGE! To me that's dissing this "Fruit of the Kings!"
:harumph: ;)

Uh, oh!.... I don't think that was "salt" I sprinkled on mine this morning.

Skip Towne
12-23-2004, 12:01 PM
I like cantaloupe and tomatoes too.

Frankie
12-23-2004, 12:08 PM
I like cantaloupe and tomatoes too.

Tomato is not a fruit, sir.

Skip Towne
12-23-2004, 12:11 PM
Aha! You fell right in my trap. If it has seeds, it's a fruit.

badgirl
12-23-2004, 12:22 PM
yes a tomato is definately a fruit, I learned that in school back in the day. Its kinda wierd but true. :)

Kclee
12-23-2004, 12:26 PM
Aha! You fell right in my trap. If it has seeds, it's a fruit.

A sunflower has seeds. Thats not a fruit. :)

Rain Man
12-23-2004, 12:28 PM
I've heard that a tomato is a fruit when raw and a vegetable when cooked. I'm not sure that I believe that.

Raiderhader
12-23-2004, 08:37 PM
A sunflower has seeds. Thats not a fruit. :)

That is because it is a flower. You cannot (or I wouldn't reccomend it any way) eat the flower, only the seeds.

Several vegetables fit under the fruit catagory. We tend to seperate them into two different catagories based on "sweetness"..... I guess.

Skip Towne
12-23-2004, 08:49 PM
Because it has seeds doesn't make it an edible fruit. But it is the fruit of the plant nonetheless. A vegetable can be a stalk such as celery or asparagus or the root such as a potato. But the seeds are the product of the flower of the plant and that makes them a fruit.

Skip Towne
12-23-2004, 08:55 PM
That is because it is a flower. You cannot (or I wouldn't reccomend it any way) eat the flower, only the seeds.

Several vegetables fit under the fruit catagory. We tend to seperate them into two different catagories based on "sweetness"..... I guess.
What vegetable fits under the fruit category?

Pants
12-23-2004, 08:57 PM
Nades are a bitch to eat. I hate the seeds, so I always had to chew, chew and spit and that left me unsatisfied. It's true they are tatsy, but I mean with salt? Ugh. That's just plain wrong. That's like putting mayonaise on a freaking banana.

Best fruit EVAR - tangerine. It has to be the kind that has no seeds and the skin comes off real easy. I have 3 boxes of that shit sitting in my garage. I eat them 6 at a time.

Raiderhader
12-23-2004, 09:08 PM
What vegetable fits under the fruit category?

Besides tomatos? Zucchini and cucumber would fit, as I believe does egg plant (but I am not positive, I don't know a whole lot about that particular plant). I know there is more, but being put on the spot, I can't think of them off the top of my head.

Skip Towne
12-23-2004, 09:19 PM
Besides tomatos? Zucchini and cucumber would fit, as I believe does egg plant (but I am not positive, I don't know a whole lot about that particular plant). I know there is more, but being put on the spot, I can't think of them off the top of my head.
I'm not an expert but cucumber has seeds and is therefore a fruit. If it has seeds, it is a fruit.

Raiderhader
12-23-2004, 09:20 PM
For your quick reading and learning pleasure -

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/fruit/definefruit.html

It would appear that "legaly" tomatos are vegetables, but any botanist would scientificaly disagree with this, as is evidenced by the scientific criteria for "fruit".

tommykat
12-23-2004, 09:23 PM
Funny post........I actually have 1 left in my fridge.....pretty yummy at Christmas. Anytime, but usually holidays is when I buy them.

Skip Towne
12-23-2004, 09:32 PM
For your quick reading and learning pleasure -

http://aggie-horticulture.tamu.edu/plantanswers/fruit/definefruit.html

It would appear that "legaly" tomatos are vegetables, but any botanist would scientificaly disagree with this, as is evidenced by the scientific criteria for "fruit".
Yeah and they misspelled legally so what do they know? If they have seeds, they are fruit. This is the third time I have said it. If you haven't grasped it by now, I will not spend any more time on you. (Not you, Hader, I'm, talking to those other dipshits)

Jenson71
12-23-2004, 09:35 PM
If they have seeds, they are fruit. This is the third time I have said it.

What about green beans?

Raiderhader
12-23-2004, 09:37 PM
Yeah and they misspelled legally so what do they know? If they have seeds, they are fruit. This is the third time I have said it. If you haven't grasped it by now, I will not spend any more time on you. (Not you, Hader, I'm, talking to those other dipshits)

Glad you clarified that, I was starting to think you you didn't realize that I was, in essence, agreeing with you. :)

Raiderhader
12-23-2004, 09:39 PM
What about green beans?

The actuall beans all by themselves, no. The casing that we eat along with them, yes.

Peas are not a fruit, but when you eat sugarsnap peas with the casing, you are consuming fruit. Fruit is the "fleshy" substance that envelopes and protects the seeds.

Jenson71
12-23-2004, 09:41 PM
Amazing.

I like oranges.

ChiefsFire
12-23-2004, 09:43 PM
watermelon flavored gey farmer mmmmmmmmmm

Raiderhader
12-23-2004, 09:45 PM
watermelon flavored gey farmer mmmmmmmmmm

:spock: I don't want to know......

ChiefsFire
12-23-2004, 09:46 PM
gey farmer====jolly rancher====candy

Raiderhader
12-23-2004, 09:48 PM
I said that I didn't want to know, damnit.

ChiefsFire
12-23-2004, 09:49 PM
you wanted to know

admit it.....

Pants
12-23-2004, 10:14 PM
So wtf is a vegetable then? Besides potatoes, that is.

Frankie
12-23-2004, 11:33 PM
It's true they are tatsy, but I mean with salt? Ugh. That's just plain wrong.
Don't knock it till you've tried it. I love Pomegranates the way they are. But a light sprinkle of salt makes them even better..... Heavenly.