PDA

View Full Version : Lawrence Tynes

penchief
12-25-2004, 10:21 PM
I know Tynes had a 1 for 3 night but I like what he did. I know this probably won't go over well but I think we have the long-term solution to our team's place-kicking woes.

I don't know if the block was his fault or a good play by Oakland. But I do know that his 50 yarder was dead center and missed by about an inch.

However, Tynes had to hit a game winning field goal in a must-win situation of a rivalry game after having one blocked and having a dead-center 50 yarder fall about one inch short. Add to that the pressure of having to play for a kicker-hating coach like DV, and...........

No, I think Tynes is proving himself. He's put in the work necessary (even in the CFL) to earn a chance with the Chiefs. He's been to three (or four?) Chief camps in hopes of making the team.

IMO, he shows the type of moxy and resilience it takes to be a premier kicker in the major leagues. I hope he turns out to be just that. If he does, it's just another piece of the puzzle.

LiL stumppy
12-25-2004, 10:39 PM
And his kick-offs were good today

Mr. Kotter
12-25-2004, 10:40 PM
Tynes had a decent game. At this point, I don't know there are any "better" options for next year anyway...he's gaining confidence, I think.

Manila-Chief
12-25-2004, 10:42 PM
I agree he is demonstrating the ability to kick when the game is on the line.

But how are his kick-offs? It seems to me that he is sadly lacking on kick-offs? Is it the cold weather? (Noticed that Jano had a couple of poor kicks as well?)

One problem for the D is a very short field almost every time. I know that distance is not always the key. There must be hang time and coverage of ST's. I'd like you guys who have seem them to comment.

Now, it does look like we just may have found us a punter. He had a good day. Well, except for the 58 yarder... had it been a little shorter maybe he would have had better "net" yards? But, seriously if he can keep this up we will have an excellent punter.

Mr. Kotter
12-25-2004, 10:44 PM

But how are his kick-offs? It seems to me that he is sadly lacking on kick-offs? Is it the cold weather? (Noticed that Jano had a couple of poor kicks as well?)

One problem for the D is a very short field almost every time. I know that distance is not always the key. There must be hang time and coverage of ST's. I'd like you guys who have seem them to comment.

Now, it does look like we just may have found us a punter. He had a good day. Well, except for the 58 yarder... had it been a little shorter maybe he would have had better "net" yards? But, seriously if he can keep this up we will hav

e a fantastic punter.

He's been inconsistent, yes; but as I say, I think he's gaining confidence.

Our ST coverage this year hasn't been the greatest, which is why the D has had to defend so many short fields.... :banghead:

KCWolfman
12-25-2004, 10:45 PM

Now, it does look like we just may have found us a punter. He had a good day. Well, except for the 58 yarder... had it been a little shorter maybe he would have had better "net" yards? But, seriously if he can keep this up we will have an excellent punter.
No, I agree. It wasn't that cold today.

When he does kick deep there is no air underneath (hangtime). That is why we are seeing returns regularly to the 40-45 yard line no matter if he kicks to the 20 or the 3.

Count Zarth
12-25-2004, 10:46 PM
He has won me over.

I really don't fault him for the two misses. One was blocked (definitely ont his fault) and the other was a long FG under tough conditions and he barely missed.

He nailed the game winner. There was no doubt.

penchief
12-25-2004, 10:48 PM
Tynes had a decent game. At this point, I don't know there are any "better" options for next year anyway...he's gaining confidence, I think.

I agree. And I think confidence is the key. Tynes definitely looks like he has the leg and the accuracy.

Count Zarth
12-25-2004, 10:49 PM

When he does kick deep there is no air underneath (hangtime). That is why we are seeing returns regularly to the 40-45 yard line no matter if he kicks to the 20 or the 3.

I really have to disagree. I have seen him kick it to the 5 regularly this season but our coverage teams suck so bad that they are doing well to stop the ball at the 35 yard line.

The coaching staff then instructs him to give it more hangtime, which of course you get a shorter kick with. This has about the same result in field position but less of a threat of running it back for six.

I am fully on the Tynes bandwagon. I believe I am driving if not mistaken.

I think it is a concentration issue with our coverage teams. If you noticed before Tynes last kickoff, they rallied together and got focused. They stuffed the return.

Sure-Oz
12-25-2004, 11:50 PM
He has been decent atleast and given us range.

Coach
12-26-2004, 06:47 AM
Tynes > M. Anderson.

No way Mort could have even make it past the 10 yard line on that 50 yard FG attempt. I thought for sure he had it, but it had to bounce out. At least he was accurate, just couldn't get it in. But he delivered when it mattered the most.

You know, I find it funny. Fat-ass kicked the FG and was taunting the crowd like waving at them good-bye, yet Tynes checkmated him.

Gaz
12-26-2004, 06:54 AM
His kickoffs were much better yesterday. The problem is not his hang time, but the kick coverage team, IMO.

Tynes can stay.

xoxo~
Gaz
Magnanimous.

Coach
12-26-2004, 06:58 AM
His kickoffs were much better yesterday. The problem is not his hang time, but the kick coverage team, IMO.

Tynes can stay.

xoxo~
Gaz
Magnanimous.

Agreed. He's inconsistent at best right now, but he's getting better. That last KO after the GW FG was textbook excellent. Jones sticked that return guy real good.

Bob Dole
12-26-2004, 07:03 AM
I am fully on the Tynes bandwagon. I believe I am driving if not mistaken.

Is there a big banner on the side that says "Mediocrity Tours"?

Herzig
12-26-2004, 08:12 AM

Tynes can stay.

xoxo~
Gaz
Magnanimous.

Dammit...if he's good enough for Gaz....he's good enough for me.

Wile_E_Coyote
12-26-2004, 08:38 AM
http://i.cnn.net/si/images/football/nfl/players/5046.jpg

He got sister?

RINGLEADER
12-26-2004, 12:07 PM
On the 50 yarder the kick looked good...just needs to get a little more leg into it. The blocked kick wasn't his fault and the game-winner was perfect. His kick-offs do seem to either go to the goal line or the 20...needs to get more consistent there. I think he's worth keep and developing further. Dude only had one bad game (Jacksonville) all year...not bad for a (NFL) rookie kicker.

Sure-Oz
12-26-2004, 12:17 PM
Hell Kaeding has looked bad a few times this ye too

Deberg_1990
12-26-2004, 12:56 PM
He can stay for now. I wouldnt mind seeing him have a little competition in camp next year, but overall, he has done alright this year.

Bob Dole
12-26-2004, 02:55 PM
Dude only had one bad game (Jacksonville) all year...not bad for a (NFL) rookie kicker.

Didn't he manage to be the only kicker to miss 2 PATs this season?

2bikemike
12-26-2004, 02:59 PM

I think so!

2bikemike
12-26-2004, 03:01 PM
On the 50 yarder the kick looked good...just needs to get a little more leg into it. The blocked kick wasn't his fault and the game-winner was perfect. His kick-offs do seem to either go to the goal line or the 20...needs to get more consistent there. I think he's worth keep and developing further. Dude only had one bad game (Jacksonville) all year...not bad for a (NFL) rookie kicker.

IMHO the 50 yarder he was worrying about getting the ball up higher to avoid the block which caused it to go a bit short. The blocked kick looked to me like it came out a little low.

Rain Man
12-26-2004, 03:08 PM
I'm trying to figure where that long-touted leg strength is. He was short on a 50-yard field goal, and his kickoffs are marginally better than Morten Andersen's.

That said, he's younger and cheaper than Andersen and has similar production and a bit longer range, even if it's still not quite average for the NFL. Hopefully, Frank Gansz, Jr., will have him hop up and down the stands at Arrowhead on one leg all offseason, and he'll come back with telephone pole quads next year.

Count Zarth
12-26-2004, 03:14 PM
I'm trying to figure where that long-touted leg strength is. He was short on a 50-yard field goal, and his kickoffs are marginally better than Morten Andersen's.

That said, he's younger and cheaper than Andersen and has similar production and a bit longer range, even if it's still not quite average for the NFL. Hopefully, Frank Gansz, Jr., will have him hop up and down the stands at Arrowhead on one leg all offseason, and he'll come back with telephone pole quads next year.

He had the range on a 58-yarder in Denver. He's got plenty of leg. If he wants to, he can kick it to the 5 everytime on the kickoff. Sometimes it goes to the 15 or 20 because he's being told to go for more hang time.

bkkcoh
12-27-2004, 09:34 PM
He had the range on a 58-yarder in Denver. He's got plenty of leg. If he wants to, he can kick it to the 5 everytime on the kickoff. Sometimes it goes to the 15 or 20 because he's being told to go for more hang time.

It would be very nice that would translate to the opponents starting out on the 20 - 25 yard line instead of the 35 or so yardline.... But I don't see that taking place.

:banghead:

Pants
12-27-2004, 09:55 PM
It would be very nice that would translate to the opponents starting out on the 20 - 25 yard line instead of the 35 or so yardline.... But I don't see that taking place.

:banghead:

The point of giving it more hang time is to prevent the other team from going all the way. You have to sacrifice field position for that, and that's exactly what Tynes has been told to do.

bkkcoh
12-27-2004, 10:03 PM
The point of giving it more hang time is to prevent the other team from going all the way. You have to sacrifice field position for that, and that's exactly what Tynes has been told to do.

Metrolike,

I really do understand that :thumb:

But I am not sure what the average starting position on our KO's are, but I don't think they is working as designed.

Pants
12-27-2004, 10:07 PM
Metrolike,

I really do understand that :thumb:

But I am not sure what the average starting position on our KO's are, but I don't think they is working as designed.

Yep, the field position sucks, bu at least we don't give up touchdowns. So, they are working as designed. That's not Tyne's fault, he cool with me. I'd much rather see him kick off to the 3 yard line of course, but our best ST players are all hurt, so what are you gonna do? SIGH, this year was shit.

bkkcoh
12-27-2004, 10:23 PM
Yep, the field position sucks, bu at least we don't give up touchdowns. So, they are working as designed. That's not Tyne's fault, he cool with me. I'd much rather see him kick off to the 3 yard line of course, but our best ST players are all hurt, so what are you gonna do? SIGH, this year was shit.

That is very true, we haven't given up return TD's, but they average return for KO is 22.6 yards. That isn't good with our defense.

That is one thing I think people have forgotten, the injuries to the people that play special teams. That is key, the Chiefs have had above average special teams play because of the players that play ST's. They have been known to play a lot of starters on ST's.

Frankie
12-28-2004, 12:02 AM
And his kick-offs were good today

And he didn't try to tackle a returner.

Logical
12-28-2004, 12:31 AM

Well that and we have crappy special teams coverage this year. One of the worst years I can recall.

2bikemike
12-28-2004, 12:33 AM
Well that and we have crappy special teams coverage this year. One of the worst years I can recall.

Wasn't it pretty bad a few years ago during Guns reign? I seem to remember having really bad Special teams not too long ago.

Logical
12-28-2004, 12:38 AM
Wasn't it pretty bad a few years ago during Guns reign? I seem to remember having really bad Special teams not too long ago.You might be right, there were so many things going wrong with Gun's teams that the distractions probably have caused me to forget.

TheNextStep
12-28-2004, 12:42 AM

Personally, I'd have substituted the words "much ballyhooed" for "long-touted" in this post. I just think it works better.

Regarding the blocked kick, remember that Langston Walker is a pretty unique guy. He wasn't even on special teams until week 11 (and had never been on special teams at all, dating back to college) of this season and he's got 3 blocks already.

2bikemike
12-28-2004, 01:13 AM
Personally, I'd have substituted the words "much ballyhooed" for "long-touted" in this post. I just think it works better.

Regarding the blocked kick, remember that Langston Walker is a pretty unique guy. He wasn't even on special teams until week 11 (and had never been on special teams at all, dating back to college) of this season and he's got 3 blocks already.

He is one Big Mother Fugger. He definately got into Tynes head. I think that is why he missed the 2nd one. He really tried to get a lot of air under it to get it over Walker which of course made it short but not by much.

andoman
12-28-2004, 08:49 AM
Wasn't it pretty bad a few years ago during Guns reign? I seem to remember having really bad Special teams not too long ago.

Those were the Mike Stock days IIRC. Can you believe the Rams hired him to "fix" their woeful special teams?

penchief
12-28-2004, 10:53 AM
Those were the Mike Stock days IIRC. Can you believe the Rams hired him to "fix" their woeful special teams?

I haven't been paying attention to the rams' special teams. How has Stock's special teams performed? Is he still there?

Calcountry
12-28-2004, 11:18 AM
I know Tynes had a 1 for 3 night but I like what he did. I know this probably won't go over well but I think we have the long-term solution to our team's place-kicking woes.

I don't know if the block was his fault or a good play by Oakland. But I do know that his 50 yarder was dead center and missed by about an inch.

However, Tynes had to hit a game winning field goal in a must-win situation of a rivalry game after having one blocked and having a dead-center 50 yarder fall about one inch short. Add to that the pressure of having to play for a kicker-hating coach like DV, and...........

No, I think Tynes is proving himself. He's put in the work necessary (even in the CFL) to earn a chance with the Chiefs. He's been to three (or four?) Chief camps in hopes of making the team.

IMO, he shows the type of moxy and resilience it takes to be a premier kicker in the major leagues. I hope he turns out to be just that. If he does, it's just another piece of the puzzle.
He has missed a couple of PA's but he has been pretty reliable between 35 to 35 yards, and just remember, there is no way in the world that DV even trots Andersen out their to attempt a 50 yarder in the cold. He would have pulled his c*nt just jogging out there.

Give him another year. Punter is another question.

Pants
12-28-2004, 11:19 AM
ROFL

Calcountry
12-28-2004, 11:20 AM
He's been inconsistent, yes; but as I say, I think he's gaining confidence.

Our ST coverage this year hasn't been the greatest, which is why the D has had to defend so many short fields.... :banghead:
Many times they would have been better off to just kick the thing straight out of bounds than to risk a return.

Calcountry
12-28-2004, 11:23 AM
Tynes > M. Anderson.

No way Mort could have even make it past the 10 yard line on that 50 yard FG attempt. I thought for sure he had it, but it had to bounce out. At least he was accurate, just couldn't get it in. But he delivered when it mattered the most.

You know, I find it funny. Fat-ass kicked the FG and was taunting the crowd like waving at them good-bye, yet Tynes checkmated him.
Dante found the move that Fat ass didn't see, then Tynes moved the piece that checkmated.

Calcountry
12-28-2004, 11:23 AM

Tynes can stay.

xoxo~
Gaz
Magnanimous.

Holly smokes, Gaz agrees with me, I must be gettin good at this football chit. :p

Calcountry
12-28-2004, 11:25 AM
The blocked kick was going to split the uprights. It looked like the snap was good, and the hold was good, he hit it good, it had nice elevation. Sounds like a blown assignment.

Calcountry
12-28-2004, 11:26 AM
That was the only chink in his game IMO.

But then that dipchit we had a few years ago, couldn't kick them OR field goals when it mattered.

Calcountry
12-28-2004, 11:29 AM
That is very true, we haven't given up return TD's, but they average return for KO is 22.6 yards. That isn't good with our defense.

That is one thing I think people have forgotten, the injuries to the people that play special teams. That is key, the Chiefs have had above average special teams play because of the players that play ST's. They have been known to play a lot of starters on ST's.
We need a kicker who knows how to recover a fumble. After Saturdays game, I am convinced, TYNES must go! :p

Mr. Laz
12-28-2004, 12:30 PM
i'm torn about Tynes :)

it was his first year ... but he did some doofy things this year

short kickoffs,missed extra points

then again there is the Dick "i'makickerkiller" Vermeil factor

i don't know if Tynes should be back next year or not. :shrug:

penchief
12-28-2004, 12:51 PM
i'm torn about Tynes :)

it was his first year ... but he did some doofy things this year

short kickoffs,missed extra points

then again there is the Dick "i'makickerkiller" Vermeil factor

i don't know if Tynes should be back next year or not. :shrug:

I just have a real good feeling about the kid. He's dedicated as hell, he's worked his ass off to get here, he looks like he loves what he does, plus he acts like he cares. He's gaining confidence and he's going to keep working hard. He's got a strong leg and an accurate leg, IMO.

The more situations he is exposed to the more he will rise to the occasion, IMO.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, it takes a special kind of character to be a kicker. Whether it's someone loony like Janikowski and those brothers who injure themselves jumping up and down, or someone interested in perfecting their art like Stenerud, Lowery, or Andersen.

To me, Tynes has those qualities of the latter. He seems to be someone that loves what he does so much that he continues to do the necessary work in order to follow his dream. Plus, he acts like a pro, IMO.

On another kicking note, was anyone one else tickled by how much our new punter enjoyed the winning field goal against the raiders? I mean he looked like it was as special to him as it was to some of our old-timers. That's a good sign if he turns out to be a keeper.

go bowe
12-28-2004, 01:08 PM
I just have a real good feeling about the kid. He's dedicated as hell, he's worked his ass off to get here, he looks like he loves what he does, plus he acts like he cares. He's gaining confidence and he's going to keep working hard. He's got a strong leg and an accurate leg, IMO.

The more situations he is exposed to the more he will rise to the occasion, IMO.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that, it takes a special kind of character to be a kicker. Whether it's someone loony like Janikowski and those brothers who injure themselves jumping up and down, or someone interested in perfecting their art like Stenerud, Lowery, or Andersen.

To me, Tynes has those qualities of the latter. He seems to be someone that loves what he does so much that he continues to do the necessary work in order to follow his dream. Plus, he acts like a pro, IMO.

On another kicking note, was anyone one else tickled by how much our new punter enjoyed the winning field goal against the raiders? I mean he looked like it was as special to him as it was to some of our old-timers. That's a good sign if he turns out to be a keeper.i didn't notice that, but it is indeed a good sign... :thumb: