PDA

View Full Version : Draft position

Frankie
12-27-2004, 02:00 PM
Well as of this past weekend the Chiefs are mathematically 'eliminated' from drafting in the top 10 (Goodbye Antrel Rolle :( ). Depending on a multiple of scenarios we will draft anywhere between 11 and 20.

Looks like somebody like Marcus Spears or Ahmad Brooks could come our way. I'd be satisfied with either.

htismaqe
12-27-2004, 02:04 PM
Here's a guy I would be interested in:

Kevin Burnett

Official Bio
College: Tennessee
Height: 6-3
Position: Outside Linebacker
Weight: 235
Class: Senior
40-Yard: 4.55
SCOUTING REPORT
Strengths: Excellent athletic ability...Good size...Very good speed...Great instincts...Makes plays sideline-to-sideline...Excels in coverage...Can get after the quarterback...Good in pursuit...Explosive tackler...Team leader and captain.
Weaknesses: Might not be all the way back from a major knee injury...Doesn't always play up to his physical ability...Could stand to add some weight and get stronger.
Notes: Began his career as a safety...Has all the tools you look for and could be in impact performer at the pro level but has to show he is all the way back from the knee injury.

htismaqe
12-27-2004, 02:05 PM
Here's another:

Mathias Kiwanuka

Official Bio
College: Boston College
Height: 6-7
Position: Defensive End
Weight: 261
Class: Junior
40-Yard: 4.6
SCOUTING REPORT
Strengths: Physical freak with amazing size, speed and athleticism...Explosive quickness and agility...Dynamic natural pass rusher...A terror who opponents much account for on every snap...The sky is the limit in terms of his upside.
Weaknesses: Has a lean frame and needs to add some weight and continue to get stronger...Can and has been neutralized at times...Very raw in terms of technique and has a ways to go in that area...Especially has a problem with playing too tall.
Notes: Nickname is "Kiwi"...Grandfather was elected Uganda's first prime minister in 1961 and assassinated in 1972 by Idi Amin...A prospect who is still developing but has the tools to be great...Some team will take a chance on his potential very early should he come out after his junior season.

Frankie
12-27-2004, 02:09 PM
Here's another:

Mathias Kiwanuka

Official Bio
College: Boston College
Height: 6-7
Weight: 261
Class: Junior
40-Yard: 4.6
SCOUTING REPORT
Strengths: Physical freak with amazing size, speed and athleticism...Explosive quickness and agility...Dynamic natural pass rusher...A terror who opponents much account for on every snap...The sky is the limit in terms of his upside.
Weaknesses: Has a lean frame and needs to add some weight and continue to get stronger...Can and has been neutralized at times...Very raw in terms of technique and has a ways to go in that area...Especially has a problem with playing too tall.
Notes: Nickname is "Kiwi"...Grandfather was elected Uganda's first prime minister in 1961 and assassinated in 1972 by Idi Amin...A prospect who is still developing but has the tools to be great...Some team will take a chance on his potential very early should he come out after his junior season.

Oh I'd love us to get him too. But, I thought he was a predicted top ten pick. If he is, let's talk about realisticaly available players.

tyton75
12-27-2004, 02:14 PM
I still vote for Erasmus James.. since the only dominant MLB is going to be gone.. I think James would be in the 11-20th pick range and would be a good compliment for Allen.. then 2nd round go for LB's

SNR
12-27-2004, 02:17 PM
Mathias Kiwanuka

Weaknesses: ...Can and has been neutralized at times...Very raw in terms of technique and has a ways to go in that area....Eddie Freeman
Eric Downing
Jimmy Wilkerson
R-Kal Truluck

Junior Siavii...????

All guys drafted (besides Truluck) for the tools they possessed, not on technique. Three of them are no longer with the team. One of them has not played up to what has been expected of him. One of them is a rookie, who we have yet to see from.

Not just on the defensive line either. More proof?

William Bartee
Kawika Mitchell
Omar Easy
Julian Battle

What else is there to say? Drafting a guy for the skills he possesses means exactly jack shit if the coaching staff can't coach technique.

Okay, rant over.

Frankie
12-27-2004, 02:24 PM
Here's the best scenario (draftwise) for us:

1- We lose to SD and finish up 7-9.
2- Dallas, Detroit, St. Louis win out finishing with 7-9 too.
3- Cinci beats Philly on the road (Yeah, right)

That combination of events MIGHT get us the 11th pick depending on the tie breakers against the teams mentioned above. We haven't played them head-to-head and I don't have the time to check a whole gamut of tie-breakers. (Anybody else wanna do that?) The Rams will almost surely lose at least one to Philly and NY Jets. So there goes 11.

Frankie
12-27-2004, 02:26 PM
I still vote for Erasmus James.. since the only dominant MLB is going to be gone.. I think James would be in the 11-20th pick range and would be a good compliment for Allen.. then 2nd round go for LB's
Another good one. :thumb:

Frankie
12-27-2004, 02:26 PM
Eddie Freeman
Eric Downing
Jimmy Wilkerson
R-Kal Truluck

Junior Siavii...????

All guys drafted (besides Truluck) for the tools they possessed, not on technique. Three of them are no longer with the team. One of them has not played up to what has been expected of him. One of them is a rookie, who we have yet to see from.

William Bartee
Kawika Mitchell
Omar Easy
Julian Battle

What else is there to say? Drafting a guy for the skills he possesses means exactly jack shit if the coaching staff can't coach technique.

Okay, rant over.

Scary point....

htismaqe
12-27-2004, 02:32 PM
Oh I'd love us to get him too. But, I thought he was a predicted top ten pick. If he is, let's talk about realisticaly available players.

Most of the things I've read have Kiwi in the 15-20 range.

htismaqe
12-27-2004, 02:36 PM
Eddie Freeman
Eric Downing
Jimmy Wilkerson
R-Kal Truluck

Junior Siavii...????

William Bartee
Kawika Mitchell
Omar Easy
Julian Battle

Okay, rant over.

Good point on Freeman, Downing, and Wilkerson. However, none of them possess the same freakish physical traits that Kiwi has...

And as always, on the flipside, Sims was a guy that was considered "well rounded" and "mechanically sound" coming out of college. See what that got us?

htismaqe
12-27-2004, 02:40 PM
And if you're down on Kiwanuka due to him being "raw" I wouldn't think James would be a choice either...

Erasmus James

Official Bio
College: Wisconsin
Height: 6-4
Weight: 263
Class: Senior
40-Yard: 4.75
SCOUTING REPORT
Strengths: Tremendous athlete...Quick and agile...A terror as a pass rusher...Extremely productive as a senior...Has only played football since his senior year of high school and still has a lot of upside and potential...One of the better sack artists in the draft.
Weaknesses: Missed the entire 2003 season due to injury...Needs to get bigger and stronger...Raw in terms of technique and gets by on his natural athleticism...Inconsistent...Doesn't have top-notch speed.
Notes: Came through with a dominant senior campaign and may have improved his stock more than anyone in the entire country...Went from an afterthought to a potential first rounder.

htismaqe
12-27-2004, 02:40 PM
Another thing about James -- most publications I've read have him as a top-10 pick, which we won't have...

Frankie
12-27-2004, 02:44 PM
And as always, on the flipside, Sims was a guy that was considered "well rounded" and "mechanically sound" coming out of college. See what that got us?

I think "well rounded" was a reference to his posture. ;)

Rausch
12-27-2004, 02:46 PM
Good point on Freeman, Downing, and Wilkerson. However, none of them possess the same freakish physical traits that Kiwi has...

Sims was also known to have motivational issues. We took him anyway because of his "upside."

Hoover
12-27-2004, 02:48 PM
ADPWD

"Any Defensive Player Will DO"

Deberg_1990
12-27-2004, 02:51 PM
I dont know about you guys, but i cant wait to see what 5th round "Project" Carl will try and pass off as a 1st or 2nd rounder this year!

htismaqe
12-27-2004, 02:52 PM
Sims was also known to have motivational issues. We took him anyway because of his "upside."

No, I don't believe that's the case. Here's his draft bio from PFW:

Notes: Played in every game as an 18-year-old freshman in 1998 and often played as much as the starter. Started every game the past three years and won All-Atlantic Coast Conference honors and some All-America notice in '01. Had 31 tackles, including four for loss and two sacks in '98; 33-6-1 in '99; 52-9-6 in 2000 and 51-8-5 as a senior.

Positives: Great character and competitiveness. A coach's dream. High-motor player who really seems to like the game. Has a thick, powerful body and can play in any type of defense, including a two-gap scheme. Uses hands well and does a nice job of controlling blockers. Very quick and flexible and has an explosive short-area burst. Can push the pocket and also get into a gap and come clean. Comes off the ball well and will often beat the blocker with his first move. Has been durable and played in every game during his career. Was a much tougher, more intense and more consistent player than Julius Peppers in '01, his teammate who could be one of the first two picks in the draft. Sims had a very good week at the Senior Bowl and was off to a good start in the game before he suffered a minor injury and was held out because the game stresses player safety so much.

Negatives: Lacks great speed. Is not going to make the highlight-film plays Peppers makes. Will struggle to shed blocks quickly at times.

Summary: Was the best defensive player at the Senior Bowl and made himself millions of dollars by going from a possible late first-round pick to a possible top-10 or top-12 pick. Does not have Peppers' upside, but Sims is a more solid player right now, and with Sims, you know that what you see is what you will get, so long as he avoids injuries and holdouts.

I'm still looking for the quotes from Vermeil and Peterson that refer to him as being less "project" and more "ready" than the other guys that were available.

Frankie
12-27-2004, 02:54 PM
Can anybody investigate our tie breakers with these teams?

Dallas
Detroit
St. Louis
Cincinnati

Mr. Laz
12-27-2004, 02:58 PM
Can anybody investigate our tie breakers with these teams?

Dallas
Detroit
St. Louis
Cincinnati

last time i looked we lost the draft tiebreaker with every team except Cleveland.

htismaqe
12-27-2004, 03:04 PM
Here's a few, they weren't easy to find:

"He (Sims) was coached by one ours, John Bunting," Chiefs head coach Dick Vermeil told former Bunting teammate Ron Jawarski on ESPN. "He's big, strong, physical and he has no flaws. He's very smart and did well on all his tests. I think he will represent Kansas City with class and the style that we demand here in Kansas City."

''He's a player,'' said Vermeil. ''I'll stake my reputation on that. There aren't any holes. Whether he's going to be in the Pro Bowl after his rookie year, no. But he'll make a very solid contribution to upgrading how the defensive tackle and defensive team position is played.

Deberg_1990
12-27-2004, 03:06 PM
After 3 years, i have yet to any of this from Sims: ??????

Great character and competitiveness. A coach's dream. High-motor player who really seems to like the game. Has a thick, powerful body and can play in any type of defense, including a two-gap scheme. Uses hands well and does a nice job of controlling blockers. Very quick and flexible and has an explosive short-area burst. Can push the pocket and also get into a gap and come clean. Comes off the ball well and will often beat the blocker with his first move.

Mr. Laz
12-27-2004, 03:09 PM
this draft order is 1 week behind i think..

but the SOS is the draft tiebreaker and here they as of last week.

only cleveland and the faiders have a higher SOS rating than us.

Opps'
# Team W-L W-L %
1 San Francisco 2-12 .478
2 Miami 3-11 .545
3 Cleveland 3-11 .589
4 Tennessee 4-10 .513
5 Arizona 5-9 .451
6 Chicago 5-9 .473
7 Tampa Bay 5-9 .473
8 Washington 5-9 .489
9 Detroit 5-9 .513
10 Dallas 5-9 .513
11 San Diego 5-9 .527(from Giants**)
12 Oakland 5-9 .571
13 New Orleans 6-8 .478
14 St. Louis 6-8 .491
15x Carolina 6-8 .513
16x Houston 6-8 .513
17 Cincinnati 6-8 .540
18 Kansas City 6-8 .558
19 Seattle 7-7 .446
20 Green Bay 8-6 .469
21 Minnesota 8-6 .473
22 Denver 8-6 .491
23 Dallas 8-6 .505(from Buffalo*)
24 Jacksonville 8-6 .531
25 Baltimore 8-6 .545
26 New York Jet 10-4 .505
27 Atlanta 11-3 .412
28 San Diego 11-3 .482
29 Indianapolis 11-3 .500
30 New England 12-2 .487
31 Philadelphia 13-1 .438
32 Pittsburgh 13-1 .482

Amnorix
12-27-2004, 03:46 PM
Keep in mind, you guys need/want players who are going to impact a significant percentage of plays. ALOT of plays ever game do NOT involve one or the other CBs. A defense that is truly dreadful (and yours is, as we all know), needs to build from the inside out.

You want one of hte following, IMHO:

1. inside LB (yours either aren't that great, or are solid but can't stay healthy). Vilma has done GREAT things for the Jets defense, and was drafted at #12 last year.

2. Edge passrusher. A Feeney type can really make a difference against teams that need to score just to keep up with your offense.

3. Defensive line.

kc-nd
12-27-2004, 03:53 PM
Well as of this past weekend the Chiefs are mathematically 'eliminated' from drafting in the top 10 (Goodbye Antrel Rolle :( ). Depending on a multiple of scenarios we will draft anywhere between 11 and 20.

Looks like somebody like Marcus Spears or Ahmad Brooks could come our way. I'd be satisfied with either.

Why would we draft Marcus Spears when we cut him before the season ever started? :):):)

Mr. Laz
12-27-2004, 03:55 PM
Keep in mind, you guys need/want players who are going to impact a significant percentage of plays. ALOT of plays ever game do NOT involve one or the other CBs. A defense that is truly dreadful (and yours is, as we all know), needs to build from the inside out.

You want one of hte following, IMHO:

1. inside LB (yours either aren't that great, or are solid but can't stay healthy). Vilma has done GREAT things for the Jets defense, and was drafted at #12 last year.

2. Edge passrusher. A Feeney type can really make a difference against teams that need to score just to keep up with your offense.

3. Defensive line.
yea, and we've been using that tactic for several years now and it hasn't gotten us squat.

our coverage is so bad that it paralyzes our whole defensive scheme.

we MUST get at least 1 guy that can actually cover someone for more than 2 seconds.

shaneo69
12-27-2004, 03:58 PM
After 3 years, i have yet to any of this from Sims: ??????

Great character and competitiveness. A coach's dream. High-motor player who really seems to like the game. Has a thick, powerful body and can play in any type of defense, including a two-gap scheme. Uses hands well and does a nice job of controlling blockers. Very quick and flexible and has an explosive short-area burst. Can push the pocket and also get into a gap and come clean. Comes off the ball well and will often beat the blocker with his first move.

Why do all these "great character" guys immediately turn into malcontents as soon as they become 1st round picks of the Chiefs?

tyton75
12-27-2004, 04:04 PM
You know what.. I'll take any player on defense with "some" talent and a "high motor" any day!

bricks
12-27-2004, 04:05 PM
I hope David Pollack is available when we pick. and, if he is, Carl, Dick, you listening? Pick the guy. I love him to death. Great player! Great motor, never quits, hard worker, not the most talented. And more importantly, a locker room guy.

shaneo69
12-27-2004, 04:15 PM
I think what the Chiefs need on defense more than anything is a LEADER. A guy with a great motor is nice, but we need someone who will not tolerate mediocrity from his teammates and will call guys out if they fug up.

IMO, we haven't had a leader like that since Kevin Ross retired after the '97 season.

Mr. Laz
12-27-2004, 04:15 PM
You know what.. I'll take any player on defense with "some" talent and a "high motor" any day!

why?

we have lots of guys like that already ... heck our linebacker corp is bustin' full of them.

Jared allen,eric hicks,browning,beisel....

you might even throw our entire secondary in there

Sims is about the only "high talent, low motor" guy we got

some talent and high motor sounds alot like a "profile" guy to me

i want high talent and a high motor

Rausch
12-27-2004, 04:24 PM
I think what the Chiefs need on defense more than anything is a LEADER. A guy with a great motor is nice, but we need someone who will not tolerate mediocrity from his teammates and will call guys out if they fug up.

IMO, we haven't had a leader like that since Kevin Ross retired after the '97 season.

Uh, you mean Mark Collins?

I think Ross was a charger in 97... :hmmm:

Deberg_1990
12-27-2004, 05:12 PM
why?

we have lots of guys like that already ... heck our linebacker corp is bustin' full of them.

Jared allen,eric hicks,browning,beisel....

you might even throw our entire secondary in there

Sims is about the only "high talent, low motor" guy we got

some talent and high motor sounds alot like a "profile" guy to me

i want high talent and a high motor

Deberg_1990
12-27-2004, 05:13 PM
We need a real 'Thug" type. Ala, Ray Lewis. They aint worth a crap if they aint willing to kill somebody!