PDA

View Full Version : Racing Stripes SUCKS!

Fire Me Boy!
12-29-2004, 08:31 AM
OK, for the job I screened "Racing Stripes" last night... here's a preview: It's the story of a zebra picked up by a farmer and raised as a horse. He then grows up wanting to be, and consequently thinking he is, a race horse. Vocal talent includes Frankie Muniz, Dustin Hoffman, Michael Clark Duncan, Whoopie Goldberg, Snoop Dogg, and David Spade.

Good voice cast, good moral, but it won't be good to anyone over the age of... oh... six.

It's Seabiscuit meets Dr. Doolittle meets a steaming pile of crap.

morphius
12-29-2004, 08:37 AM
Can't say that your review surprises me much, it looked pretty bad.

Cochise
12-29-2004, 08:41 AM
I've not seen a trailer for it but that does sound like a concept that nothing good can come from.

cadmonkey
12-29-2004, 09:19 AM
This review doesn't really surprise me. Any movie that has David Spade with Chris Farley is bound to suck. and Snoop Dogg playing a dog, wow, that's a stretch!

Kclee
12-29-2004, 09:25 AM
This review doesn't really surprise me. Any movie that has David Spade with Chris Farley is bound to suck. and Snoop Dogg playing a dog, wow, that's a stretch!

Without? :shrug:

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-29-2004, 09:33 AM
it won't be good to anyone over the age of... oh... six.

I think that's actually the target audience. What a shock that you didn't like it. I bet you find coloring books and barbie dolls boring too.

cadmonkey
12-29-2004, 09:41 AM
Without? :shrug:

God damn it! :banghead: That is what I ment.

Rain Man
12-29-2004, 09:58 AM
I think that's actually the target audience. What a shock that you didn't like it. I bet you find coloring books and barbie dolls boring too.

Barbie dolls would be a lot more interesting if their hips were more flexible.

Fire Me Boy!
12-29-2004, 10:28 AM
Children's movies are supposed to be entertaining for families, as well. When you make a movie ONLY for young children, they tank because the parents don't want to see it, too. Finding Nemo, Shrek, Toy Story... all of these have entertainment value for everyone. There's simple child humor the kids will love and some good amount of subtle humor for the grown ups. While the parents may not want to see those films, they don't not want to see them. Racing Stripes had only the humor intended for the very young. And six MAY be pushing the envelope... not sure there.

Rain Man
12-29-2004, 10:31 AM
Maybe the humor was just over your head.

Fire Me Boy!
12-29-2004, 10:33 AM
Maybe the humor was just over your head.
I'm sure you're right... now why were the only sounds of laughter from a full theater those of small children? I didn't even hear chuckles from adult voices...

Rain Man
12-29-2004, 10:39 AM
I'm sure you're right... now why were the only sounds of laughter from a full theater those of small children? I didn't even hear chuckles from adult voices...

Hmm, good point. Maybe on an adult level it was just more thought-provoking. Did it generate a lot of discussion about evolution, individualism, and free will afterwards when you discussed it with others at the coffee shop?

Fire Me Boy!
12-29-2004, 10:52 AM
Hmm, good point. Maybe on an adult level it was just more thought-provoking. Did it generate a lot of discussion about evolution, individualism, and free will afterwards when you discussed it with others at the coffee shop?
No, the bulk of the coffee conversation was focused on which of the 27 fart jokes was funniest.

Jenson71
12-29-2004, 10:56 AM
What'd you think of The Aviator?

I saw Racing Stripes. And Rain Man really is on to something. I can't believe you missed the parallel to Christ's life. RC is a modern day Jonathon Livingston Seagull. It was absolutely brilliant.

Cochise
12-29-2004, 11:01 AM
I don't buy this crap about 'it's a kid movie so it's ok if it sucks'. If a movie sucks it sucks. There are kid movies that are decent films. Having a particular target audience shouldn't be any excuse for making a piece of Raiders. If it's and hour and a half of fart jokes, as someone above said, dont give it a pass.

It pisses me off that all that passes for comedy in movies anymore is boobs and farts and people getting hit in the nuts with something.

Rain Man
12-29-2004, 11:35 AM

I saw Racing Stripes. And Rain Man really is on to something. I can't believe you missed the parallel to Christ's life. RC is a modern day Jonathon Livingston Seagull. It was absolutely brilliant.

I agree. It was subtle, but it was brilliant. And the undergirding messages and themes about the applicability and implications of the human genome project really got me thinking.

Rain Man
12-29-2004, 11:39 AM
On a side note, my favorite movie as a six-year old was "The Love Bug" about the lovable personified Volkswegen Beetle. I remember engaging in serious discussions with my older sister about whether the film would have worked if they had cast a different car such as a station wagon in the lead role.

Fire Me Boy!
12-29-2004, 11:47 AM

None of subtext was lost on me, but the film was garbage. I'm not an uneducated moron, FWIW my degree is in film (not that that automatically makes me a non-moron). The humor was subpar for the children's films that have preceded it. As I stated, the moral is good and the voice cast is good. But that doesn't make it a good film, nor does it make it even remotely enjoyable.

I haven't had an opportunity to see The Aviator, but I'd like to.

ptlyon
12-29-2004, 11:49 AM
On a side note, my favorite movie was a six-year old was "The Love Bug" about the lovable personified Volkswegen Beetle. I remember engaging in serious discussions with my older sister about whether the film would have worked if they had cast a different car such as a station wagon in the lead role.

I bet "The Love Wagon" would have been a hit with teenagers, but not with kids.

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-29-2004, 11:53 AM
Children's movies are supposed to be entertaining for families, as well. When you make a movie ONLY for young children, they tank because the parents don't want to see it, too. Finding Nemo, Shrek, Toy Story... all of these have entertainment value for everyone. There's simple child humor the kids will love and some good amount of subtle humor for the grown ups. While the parents may not want to see those films, they don't not want to see them. Racing Stripes had only the humor intended for the very young. And six MAY be pushing the envelope... not sure there.
Ok. was just razzing you anyway.

Demonpenz
12-29-2004, 11:53 AM
I saw harald and kumar yesterday. It was funny as all get out

Rain Man
12-29-2004, 12:01 PM

I don't want to spoil it for anyone, but my favorite part of The Aviator was when Howard Hughes bought that racing zebra.

TheNextStep
12-29-2004, 12:23 PM
With no offense to anybody intended, I generally tend to take reviews of children's films with a grain of salt.

When I was a brand new Daddy, I was complaining to my best friend's dad about the fact that my wife had bought a couple of Barney video tapes. Said I, "Man, I can't believe that she's got him watching Barney. I freakin' hate Barney!"

And Dave looked over at me and said, "Good. It isn't meant to entertain you... but if it entertains your son, teaches him a couple of things, and doesn't interfere with any of the values you're trying to instill in him, what's the problem?"

Personally, I now find that I have more problems with children's films that try to cater to adults than anything. For instance, in Shrek 2, the fairy godmother is making a potion and pours in "Lust"... and that bothers me as a parent. Pick an audience and go for it... but trying to put adult humor in a child's film just isn't something I'm down with.

Fire Me Boy!
12-29-2004, 12:30 PM
Ok. was just razzing you anyway.
With the tone of some of the other posts, it's sometimes hard to tell! Thanks, though.

Deberg_1990
12-29-2004, 02:20 PM
OK, for the job I screened "Racing Stripes" last night... here's a preview: It's the story of a zebra picked up by a farmer and raised as a horse. He then grows up wanting to be, and consequently thinking he is, a race horse. Vocal talent includes Frankie Muniz, Dustin Hoffman, Michael Clark Duncan, Whoopie Goldberg, Snoop Dogg, and David Spade.

Good voice cast, good moral, but it won't be good to anyone over the age of... oh... six.

It's Seabiscuit meets Dr. Doolittle meets a steaming pile of crap.

You sound like you were surprised that this film sucked big time? I could tell 10 seconds into watching the trailer that this thing was garbage.

Fire Me Boy!
12-29-2004, 09:21 PM
You sound like you were surprised that this film sucked big time? I could tell 10 seconds into watching the trailer that this thing was garbage.
Not really, no, but I was surprised at the suckage.

Phobia
12-29-2004, 09:31 PM
Ok, Mr. Roper.... why don't you go take two thumbs up your rear end?

Pants
12-29-2004, 09:39 PM
With no offense to anybody intended, I generally tend to take reviews of children's films with a grain of salt.

When I was a brand new Daddy, I was complaining to my best friend's dad about the fact that my wife had bought a couple of Barney video tapes. Said I, "Man, I can't believe that she's got him watching Barney. I freakin' hate Barney!"

And Dave looked over at me and said, "Good. It isn't meant to entertain you... but if it entertains your son, teaches him a couple of things, and doesn't interfere with any of the values you're trying to instill in him, what's the problem?"

Personally, I now find that I have more problems with children's films that try to cater to adults than anything. For instance, in Shrek 2, the fairy godmother is making a potion and pours in "Lust"... and that bothers me as a parent. Pick an audience and go for it... but trying to put adult humor in a child's film just isn't something I'm down with.

Hmm, I can agree with some of this. But most of the adult jokes in Shrek 2, kids wouldn't get anyway. I thought Shrek 2 was good in making it easier for adults to take their children and younger siblings as both could enjoy them on different levels. Instead of the usual shitty 90 minutes of wasting time, while the lil one's are having a good time.

Logical
12-29-2004, 09:41 PM
Non... FWIW my degree is in film (not that that automatically makes me a non-moron). ....

In fact indications would be just the opposite.:p You know like the jock with the degree in Athletics.

TheNextStep
12-29-2004, 09:42 PM
Hmm, I can agree with some of this. But most of the adult jokes in Shrek 2, kids wouldn't get anyway. I thought Shrek 2 was good in making it easier for adults to take their children and younger siblings as both could enjoy them on different levels. Instead of the usual shitty 90 minutes of wasting time, while the lil one's are having a good time.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start a boycott of Shrek 2 or anything... it is just that I had watched it earlier yesterday night, so it was the example that popped immediately to mind.

Pants
12-29-2004, 09:43 PM
Don't get me wrong, I'm not trying to start a boycott of Shrek 2 or anything... it is just that I had watched it earlier yesterday night, so it was the example that popped immediately to mind.

Yeah, yeah man, I understand.

Deberg_1990
12-29-2004, 09:52 PM

Have you seen "The Incredibles" ? Honestly, it was one of my top 3 movies of the year. But its probably one of the most adult oriented animated films i have ever seen. Kids did seem to enjoy it though of course.

TheNextStep
12-29-2004, 09:58 PM
No, haven't seen the Incredibles yet. Decided to wait for the DVD, since my wife isn't a "go to the theater" kind of gal. I'm sure it is probably funny - I thought Shrek 2 was pretty damned funny - but when kids movies start dabbling in sexual innuendo, it bothers me. That's all I'm saying.

Deberg_1990
12-29-2004, 10:03 PM
No, haven't seen the Incredibles yet. Decided to wait for the DVD, since my wife isn't a "go to the theater" kind of gal. I'm sure it is probably funny - I thought Shrek 2 was pretty damned funny - but when kids movies start dabbling in sexual innuendo, it bothers me. That's all I'm saying.

Its actually not really that funny. Sure its got a few laughers but its got more serious adult themes like family values. The story is alot deeper than most animated fare. Its so well done in fact that at times i actualy forgot i was watching an animated film. It feels more like a live action movie at times.

Fire Me Boy!
12-30-2004, 08:18 AM
Ok, Mr. Roper.... why don't you go take two thumbs up your rear end?
Why am I gettin' ripped here for telling it like it is? It's like no one wants to believe that a children's movie, with trailers that suck, actually sucks.

ENDelt260
12-30-2004, 10:34 AM
I figured this thread had to do with Fire Me Boy's ineffective wiping habits.

Fire Me Boy!
12-30-2004, 10:39 AM
Ah, I feel like one of you now... I'm getting razzed by the biggies! Hooray!