PDA

View Full Version : Technical question

BIG_DADDY
12-29-2004, 11:23 AM
With my tech guy resigning I have nobody to help me out for a little bit so if anyone knows how to help me with this I would really appreciate it. For no reason yesterday everytime I view another page when on the internet my browser opens another window in my toolbar titled Microsoft Internet Explorer. If you go to open the window to see what's there you can't. The only thing you can do is right click and close. It opens these additional windows everytime I change websights or view another story. I also noticed yesterday that can no longer click on a link that someone posts and have that sight open I just get a blank page opening with nothing for an address. Thanks

Iowanian
12-29-2004, 11:28 AM
I'm not a tech guru BD, but I wonder if you don't have a spyware issue?

Do you have firewall, antivirus and spyware protection on your network/PC?

Saulbadguy
12-29-2004, 11:31 AM
Firefox, problem solved. Well, not a "fix", but a very good workaround.

http://www.mozilla.org

BIG_DADDY
12-29-2004, 11:34 AM
I'm not a tech guru BD, but I wonder if you don't have a spyware issue?

Do you have firewall, antivirus and spyware protection on your network/PC?

Firewall with Norton and AVG.

morphius
12-29-2004, 11:39 AM
Have you rebooted? Also make sure to install Ad-Aware and Spybot to clean up any possible spyware.

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-29-2004, 11:39 AM
ad-aware does a nice job of keeping my 'puter clean...and it's free.

www.ad-aware.com if your interested.

BIG_DADDY
12-29-2004, 11:41 AM
Have you rebooted? Also make sure to install Ad-Aware and Spybot to clean up any possible spyware.

Thank you I'll give it a shot.

OldTownChief
12-29-2004, 11:44 AM
Did your tech guy resign on good terms, you may want to check your advanced settings in tools/internet options. Try running AdAware 6.0 (http://www.lavasoftusa.com/support/download/#free) , SpyBot S&D (http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html) and SpyWareBlaster 3.2 (http://www.javacoolsoftware.com/spywareblaster.html) Be sure to get the updates after you download them. Run them and let them delete anything they find.

wutamess
12-29-2004, 11:47 AM
Dude sounds like

A) Spyware.
B) IE hosed.
C) IE options are screwed.
D) Sme kind of pop-upblocker (spyware)

All are easy fixes.

BIG_DADDY
12-29-2004, 12:35 PM
Dude sounds like

A) Spyware.
B) IE hosed.
C) IE options are screwed.
D) Sme kind of pop-upblocker (spyware)

All are easy fixes.

OK I just ran Adaware and I still have the same problems. How do I check these IE issues?

StcChief
12-29-2004, 12:42 PM
Firefox, problem solved. Well, not a "fix", but a very good workaround.

http://www.mozilla.org

Just don't use IE go with Firefox and don't look back.

Tabs in the browser what a concept.

wutamess
12-29-2004, 12:47 PM
OK I just ran Adaware and I still have the same problems. How do I check these IE issues?

Hold down the shift key while clicking on any link that's supposed to open within the same page.

(Holding the shift key opens it in another window.)
See if a second page comes up.

PastorMikH
12-29-2004, 12:50 PM
Have the same problem on the 'puter here at the office. Can't give out rep from here because of it. Usually keep the 'puter pretty clean from spyware and such.

BIG_DADDY
12-29-2004, 12:53 PM
Have the same problem on the 'puter here at the office. Can't give out rep from here because of it. Usually keep the 'puter pretty clean from spyware and such.

Yup, that's it.

BIG_DADDY
12-29-2004, 12:57 PM
Hold down the shift key while clicking on any link that's supposed to open within the same page.

(Holding the shift key opens it in another window.)
See if a second page comes up.

2nd window opens and it is blank with no address kind of like what the pastor is looking at when he tries to give rep.

Saulbadguy
12-29-2004, 01:02 PM
http://support.microsoft.com/ph/2073/en-us/?aid=3

Here is a list of known issues for IE 6.0. I glanced at it but couldn't find what you were looking for.

I strongly suggest switching browsers anyways.

OldTownChief
12-29-2004, 01:09 PM
Found this for ya, I'll bet you have the same problem.

***EDIT*** Try post #18 first

For those that may be interested......if your IE begins opening up a blank window...it is probably the following: VBS IESTART.E and is located in C:\windows\PSS\search.vbscommonfiles or something like that.

I had to go in and "manually" delete the file...
I have my homepage locked, so it could not "take it", but it has definetly caused itself to be a pain....and I am glad it is gone...but disappointed in Spybot and Adware, ther neither of them caught it, not did my reg clean program.

I would do a search for that file and delete it.

OldTownChief
12-29-2004, 01:16 PM
I believe this is your fix. The first step in the resolution should fix you up.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;Q281679

RESOLUTION
To resolve this problem in Internet Explorer, follow these steps:
1. Quit all programs that are running.
2. Click Start, and then click Run.
3. Type regsvr32 urlmon.dll, and then click OK.
4. When you receive the "DllRegisterServer in urlmon.dll succeeded" message, click OK.
If this does not resolve the problem, repeat steps 2 through 4 for each of the following files (in step 3, replace Urlmon.dll with each of the file names below):
Shdocvw.dll
Msjava.dll
Actxprxy.dll
Oleaut32.dll
Mshtml.dll
Browseui.dll
Shell32.dll (Windows XP and Windows 2000 only)
If the problem is still not resolved, verify that the following registry values are present and correct:
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
Name: (Default)
Value: IDispatch
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProxyStubClsid
Value: {00020420-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{00020400-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}\ProxyStubClsid32
Value: {00020420-0000-0000-C000-000000000046}

If the problem is still not resolved, reinstall Internet Explorer. If you are using the version of Internet Explorer that is included with your operating system, reinstall or repair your operating system.

wutamess
12-29-2004, 01:27 PM
Hold on I have some reg keys for you.

BIG_DADDY
12-29-2004, 01:32 PM
Thanks I just fixed it. I went to my control panel and hit add/ remove programs. I clicked on Internet Explorer and then change/remove. I then clicked on something that said repair and then restarted. Thanks everyone for the help I hope I catch on to this stuff quickly. Once again I really appreciate it guys.

OldTownChief
12-29-2004, 01:33 PM
Save this to your machine and import these into the registry.

I'd try Microsoft's fix (post #18) 1st

OldTownChief
12-29-2004, 01:34 PM
Thanks I just fixed it. I went to my control panel and hit add/ remove programs. I clicked on Internet Explorer and then change/remove. I then clicked on something that said repair and then restarted. Thanks everyone for the help I hope I catch on to this stuff quickly. Once again I really appreciate it guys.

Oh..so you take the easy route, Smart Ass. :p

wutamess
12-29-2004, 01:34 PM

Mr. Obvious!

BIG_DADDY
12-29-2004, 03:01 PM
Mr. Obvious!

I AM NOT a tech guy this is going to be a new experience for me. I am now responsible for about half of our operations. I am going to get someone to help me after the first of the year.

jcroft
12-29-2004, 03:52 PM
I really not trying to be a Microsoft-basher or anything like it, but why do users put up with this kind of stuff? Windows users (and especially IE users) have these problems all the time and they act like it's normal, or the way it's supposed to be.

It's high time people start demanding a better experience. As long as people just keep accepting it and moving on, the malware problem will only get worse and worse. Windows users need to insist that these security holes are fixed, and not just live with them.

Yes, there are other ways. This is not the way it's supposed to be. It's not the way it has to be. Punt Microsoft from your life, if you can. if not, at least download Firefox and punt IE. It's free, and there's simply no good reason not to.

There is happier computing. Come over to our side. The water's nice here.

Saulbadguy
12-29-2004, 03:59 PM
It's high time people start demanding a better experience. As long as people just keep accepting it and moving on, the malware problem will only get worse and worse. Windows users need to insist that these security holes are fixed, and not just live with them.

IMO, that is like blaming Toyota for all the Camry's that get stolen every year. Its not all Microsofts fault.

You don't see anyone stealing Yugo's, right? Same reason Mac's dont get malware/spyware.

Saulbadguy
12-29-2004, 04:00 PM
I AM NOT a tech guy this is going to be a new experience for me. I am now responsible for about half of our operations. I am going to get someone to help me after the first of the year.
I require 60k a year plus relocation expenses. Thanks.

jcroft
12-29-2004, 04:09 PM
IMO, that is like blaming Toyota for all the Camry's that get stolen every year. Its not all Microsofts fault.

You don't see anyone stealing Yugo's, right? Same reason Mac's dont get malware/spyware.

First off, I never mentioned Macs.

But, if I had I <em>certainly</em> would have made the point that while Macs are more secure right now than Windows, much of that is attributed to "security by obscurity."

Mac OS X's BSD Unix core is inherently more stable and secure than Windows. However, there is no question that malware could exist for Mac OS X if someone wanted to write it. I doubt the problem would ever be as great, but if Macs accounted for 90% of the computing market, there would be <em>some</em> level of a malware problem.

Again, this is why I didn't mention Macs.

Still, Microsoft <em>is</em> to blame in large part. Malware is genreally targeted at IE/Windows, and while <em>part</em> of the reason that that it's what most people use, another large part is that it's susceptible to these kinds of things.

If a Windows machine is, say, 80% more secure when the user exclusively runs Firefox instead of IE, how can Microsoft not be a major source of blame?

jcroft
12-29-2004, 04:09 PM
I require 60k a year plus relocation expenses. Thanks.

60k, huh? Not bad for running Ad-aware once a week. :)

Saulbadguy
12-29-2004, 04:15 PM
If a Windows machine is, say, 80% more secure when the user exclusively runs Firefox instead of IE, how can Microsoft not be a major source of blame?
Exactly why I said "Not ALL Microsofts fault.." :)

Toyota does put alarm systems on Camry's...Microsoft needs to rehaul its browser.

theultimatekcchiefsfan
12-29-2004, 04:18 PM
You are not alone.

http://www.windowsbbs.com/showthread.php?t=38767

jcroft
12-29-2004, 04:21 PM
Exactly why I said "Not ALL Microsofts fault.." :)

Toyota does put alarm systems on Camry's...Microsoft needs to rehaul its browser.

Yep.

But I think the only way Microsoft will do this is if people demand it. And really, I'm not even JUST talking about malware and browser security. Windows users have, for many many years, just accepted the fact that their experience sucks.

Blue screen of death? "Ahh, just reboot. No big deal."
Error messages? "Ignore them. They mean nothing."
Pop-up ads? "Just run ad-aware, it'll take care of them. Do it once a week or so."
Slowness? "Defrag. Reboot. Reformat, if you must."

All computers (including Macs and unix machines) have these problems to some degree, but it's way, way worse on Windows. And people just accept it and move on. Would you just accept it if your PS2 started getting error messages? What if your TV got spyware? Or if your microwave needed a good defrag before you could cook your meal?

For some reason, we tend to just accept that computers suck, and that's just the way it is.

It's not good enough, and it won't be until people start demanding change. The only way we have to demand change is to punt the "big boys" for the "little guys" who do it right.