PDA

View Full Version : Some good news from the Tsunami: Animals took higher ground

memyselfI
12-29-2004, 12:07 PM
Thank God there is not the problem of thousands dead animals on top of dead humans. Hopefully when some of the human suffering is relieved the stray and homeless animals will get the attention they need.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/12/29/world/main663787.shtml

Animals May Have Felt Wave Coming

YALA NATIONAL PARK, Sri Lanka, Dec. 29, 2004

Residents look at boats pulled ashore by Sunday's powerful tidal wave in the coastal town Galle town, Sri Lanka. (Photo: AP)

(AP) Wildlife officials in Sri Lanka expressed surprise Wednesday that they found no evidence of large-scale animal deaths from the weekend's massive tsunami ó indicating that animals may have sensed the wave coming and fled to higher ground.

An Associated Press photographer who flew over Sri Lanka's Yala National Park in an air force helicopter saw abundant wildlife, including elephants, buffalo, deer, and not a single animal corpse.

Floodwaters from the tsunami swept into the park, uprooting trees and toppling cars onto their roofs ó one red car even ended up on top of a huge tree ó but the animals apparently were not harmed and may have sought out high ground, said Gehan de Silva Wijeyeratne, whose Jetwing Eco Holidays ran a hotel in the park.

"This is very interesting. I am finding bodies of humans, but I have yet to see a dead animal," said Wijeyeratne, whose hotel in the park was totally destroyed in Sunday's tidal surge.

"Maybe what we think is true, that animals have a sixth sense," Wijeyeratne said.

Yala, Sri Lanka's largest wildlife reserve, is home to 200 Asian Elephants, crocodile, wild boar, water buffalo and gray langur monkeys. The park also has Asia's highest concentration of leopards. The Yala reserve covers an area of 391 square miles, but only 56 square miles are open to tourists.

The human death toll in Sri Lanka surpassed 21,000. Forty foreigners were among 200 people in Yala who were killed.

ChiefsFire
12-29-2004, 12:10 PM
apparently the animals have more common sense than the humans over there hmmm

BIG_DADDY
12-29-2004, 12:10 PM
Good, at least there is still some good fresh food out there still.

Rain Man
12-29-2004, 12:11 PM
Cool.

I wonder why humans seem to be missing this, when a lot of animals have it.

I wonder if they sensed the earthquake, or if they somehow sensed the tsunami.

badgirl
12-29-2004, 12:11 PM
I think animal know when something is going to happen, so they probably took off before anyone else had a clue. Finally some good news though, thanks for sharing :thumb:

Predarat
12-29-2004, 12:15 PM
When a half mile wide F5 tornado came within a quater of a mile of our house, our cat was able to sense it about 10 minutes before I could even see it. Then the electricty started acting wierd.

John_Wayne
12-29-2004, 12:32 PM
It's good that the animals survived. Now the poor, starving people will have something to eat.

Saulbadguy
12-29-2004, 12:36 PM
It's good that the animals survived. Now the poor, starving people will have something to eat.
Elephants?

memyselfI
12-29-2004, 12:37 PM

uh, many of them are likely vegetarian.

badgirl
12-29-2004, 12:38 PM
thats bad, really bad :cuss:

Cochise
12-29-2004, 12:38 PM

Well, let them eat cake. :rolleyes:

Garcia Bronco
12-29-2004, 12:39 PM
Cool.

I wonder why humans seem to be missing this, when a lot of animals have it.

I wonder if they sensed the earthquake, or if they somehow sensed the tsunami.

Animals don't carry video cameras

Demonpenz
12-29-2004, 12:40 PM
well there are enough dead bodies for the animals to eat

badgirl
12-29-2004, 12:42 PM
well it's a good thing there are enough dead bodies for the animals to eat
Your frigging gross and ,well I just don't even have the words.... :cuss:

John_Wayne
12-29-2004, 12:46 PM
well there are enough dead bodies for the animals to eat uh, many of them are likely vegetarian. STFU

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-29-2004, 12:49 PM
Your frigging gross and ,well I just don't even have the words.... :cuss:
Word of advice since you're still a relative noob....you really can't let those kinds of comments get to you on here. This is a high testosterone zone and boys will be boys. It's expected of us around here. Sometimes the remarks reflect the posters true feelings but usually it's just...guys being guys....

:thumb:

badgirl
12-29-2004, 12:50 PM
Word of advice since you're still a relative noob....you really can't let those kinds of comments get to you on here. This is a high testosterone zone and boys will be boys. It's expected of us around here. Sometimes the remarks reflect the posters true feelings but usually it's just...guys being guys....

it was just kinda gross thinking about it, I mean if you visualize, well you get my point....I didn't mean no offense. :shake:

Logical
12-29-2004, 12:51 PM
uh, many of them are likely vegetarian. STFUROFL

InChiefsHell
12-29-2004, 12:52 PM

We'll see how long that lasts. Hunger will necessitate logical rational thinking...like eating meat.

InChiefsHell
12-29-2004, 12:53 PM

Dude, it was kinda gross though. Having said that, I did laugh...man, I'm scum...

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-29-2004, 12:53 PM
it was just kinda gross thinking about it, I mean if you visualize, well you get my point....I didn't mean no offense. :shake:
You didn't offend, I was just telling you not to be offended. As for the grossness of the statement....that was part of his goal. It's a guy thing.

badgirl
12-29-2004, 12:56 PM
We'll see how long that lasts. Hunger will necessitate logical rational thinking...like eating meat.
If I was on a plane wreck and other people were dead, I don't care how hungry I got I wouldn't eat the other people, I would eat grass or dirt or something. That true movie about that, well they were in snow, I would have at the plane seats or anything, I would not eat humans, no way :shake: :p

Cochise
12-29-2004, 12:56 PM

No chit. I wonder how many would rather die than eat some tasty meat.

Mmmmm...

Phobia
12-29-2004, 12:57 PM
I think it has a whole lot less to do with the animals sensing a disaster and a whole lot more to do with we humans sucking up every inch of shoreline for our own greedy use. Wild animals don't really like to hang out with humans, so they tend to gravitate to more private areas - in this case, inland.

Iowanian
12-29-2004, 01:00 PM
anyone who has been around animals at all knows they can "sense" weather.......I've heard of dogs and cats doing things before earthquakes.

Watch cattle or horses an hour before a storm........See the Deer hit the fields early and hard the night before a snowstorm.

I believe it. the other thing is that the People were occupying the coast, animals pushed further inland.

Saulbadguy
12-29-2004, 01:01 PM

Mmmmm...
Ewwww....

those veggies look nasty. :p

Demonpenz
12-29-2004, 01:03 PM
I didn't mean to be overly gross, i was just going to point out that yes the people have something to eat, but so do the animals. Some of that thinking comes from my friend miguel who served over seas and had to oversea that animals didn't attack people

Iowanian
12-29-2004, 01:06 PM
If I was on a plane wreck and other people were dead, I don't care how hungry I got I wouldn't eat the other people, I would eat grass or dirt or something. That true movie about that, well they were in snow, I would have at the plane seats or anything, I would not eat humans, no way :shake: :p

Looks like stump's arguement for the all man-chowder diet is failing miserably.

badgirl
12-29-2004, 01:07 PM
Looks like stump's arguement for the all man-chowder diet is failing miserably.
dead humans :p

Rain Man
12-29-2004, 01:15 PM
If either of my cats tells me to get out of the house, I'll darn sure do it. I just hope that they aren't playing a trick on me and lock me out, though.

badgirl
12-29-2004, 01:16 PM
If either of my cats tells me to get out of the house, I'll darn sure do it. I just hope that they aren't playing a trick on me and lock me out, though.
ROFL ROFL

InChiefsHell
12-29-2004, 01:23 PM
anyone who has been around animals at all knows they can "sense" weather.......I've heard of dogs and cats doing things before earthquakes.

Watch cattle or horses an hour before a storm........See the Deer hit the fields early and hard the night before a snowstorm.

I believe it. the other thing is that the People were occupying the coast, animals pushed further inland.

Absolutely. When we first moved to Nebraska, it was the first time I had ever been exposed to powerful thunderstorms and tornadic weather. We had a beagle who just knew. He would act very timid and would crawl away down to the basement about 30 minutes before a storm. Then, when we were all in the basement with the TV on, he would loosen up and come out of hiding, even though the weather guy was saying that the warning was still in force. It's weird, but they know...

InChiefsHell
12-29-2004, 01:24 PM

Those damn cats...
:mad:

warpaint99
12-29-2004, 01:26 PM
animals don't care for the beach !

alanm
12-29-2004, 01:31 PM

Mmmmm...The stupid ones.

InChiefsHell
12-29-2004, 01:34 PM
Ewwww....
those veggies look nasty. :p

NO WAY!! Anything grilled is gooooooood...

R&GHomer
12-29-2004, 01:49 PM

If I remember correctly that plane crash was in the mountains with nothing around but snow. I'm not sure I can say the same; as I've never been faced with starving to death with a virtual smorgasbord of frozen people around me.

I guess it would depend. I donít think I could munch on someone that I knew. Iíd also have to have some good BBQ sauce and smoking chips.

Bearcat
12-29-2004, 01:50 PM
I think it has a whole lot less to do with the animals sensing a disaster and a whole lot more to do with we humans sucking up every inch of shoreline for our own greedy use. Wild animals don't really like to hang out with humans, so they tend to gravitate to more private areas - in this case, inland.

What he said.

badgirl
12-29-2004, 01:54 PM
If I remember correctly that plane crash was in the mountains with nothing around but snow. I'm not sure I can say the same; as I've never been faced with starving to death with a virtual smorgasbord of frozen people around me.

I guess it would depend. I donít think I could munch on someone that I knew. Iíd also have to have some good BBQ sauce and smoking chips.
Well I would find something to eat if nothing but parts off the damn plane its self, but they could eat me if they wanted I'd give my permission. :(

R&GHomer
12-29-2004, 01:58 PM
Well I would find something to eat if nothing but parts off the damn plane its self, but they could eat me if they wanted I'd give my permission. :(

Ummm, would that be dead or alive? ROFL

Edit: Sorry, I couldn't help myself.

Ghostof
12-29-2004, 02:03 PM

Don't ever trust pussy. . .

R&GHomer
12-29-2004, 02:07 PM
Don't ever trust pussy. . .

Given your experiences with it, I can understand your point.

Ghostof
12-29-2004, 02:15 PM
Given your experiences with it, I can understand your point.

Yeah, but I still have one more story I'd like to share that happened, that makes the other stories look like Sesame Street.

badgirl
12-29-2004, 03:08 PM
Ummm, would that be dead or alive? ROFL

Edit: Sorry, I couldn't help myself.
it would be a trade off. do it alive, then you can eat me when I'm dead. :p

|Zach|
12-29-2004, 03:15 PM
Does anyone else thing Rain Man is actully Jack Handy?

Ari Chi3fs
12-29-2004, 03:17 PM

maybe they can borrow your assault rifle to go hunting with? :shrug:

jcroft
12-29-2004, 03:17 PM
Isn't it odd that "animals" have this innate sense that we don't seem to have, despite the fact that we are "animals?"

I'm not a religious guy and I basically believe in Darwinism and evolution. As such, I would think that this is a sensibility that we humans would have adopted over the years, give that nearly every other mammal on the face of the earth did.

Weird.

R&GHomer
12-29-2004, 03:26 PM
it would be a trade off. do it alive, then you can eat me when I'm dead. :p

Sounds fair.

R&GHomer
12-29-2004, 03:31 PM
Isn't it odd that "animals" have this innate sense that we don't seem to have, despite the fact that we are "animals?"

I'm not a religious guy and I basically believe in Darwinism and evolution. As such, I would think that this is a sensibility that we humans would have adopted over the years, give that nearly every other mammal on the face of the earth did.

Weird.

Could be the human race has simply lost the ability. We donít really need a special spidey sense sitting in our favorite chair watching TV do we?

Calcountry
12-29-2004, 03:53 PM
apparently the animals have more common sense than the humans over there hmmm
So give animals the right to vote, then Kerry would have got elected right?

Rain Man
12-29-2004, 03:53 PM

I was on a bus that broke down once, and I was considering it after only twenty minutes.

badgirl
12-29-2004, 04:23 PM
I was on a bus that broke down once, and I was considering it after only twenty minutes.
thats funny rep for you ROFL

Calcountry
12-29-2004, 04:40 PM
thats funny rep for you ROFL
Pssst. whisper on/ Rain man doesn't need any rep.