PDA

View Full Version : The rose

Baby Lee
12-29-2004, 02:13 PM
Heard this song a couple of times recently

Once in a hilarious scene in Napolean Dynamite, where it suggested it was passe and embarassing.
Once on the radio where I ended up thinking "well that was pretty."

So what's the verdict in this age of over-processed boy bands and girl acts more pretty than talented?

Cheesy ballad that time has passed by, or timeless classic?

Demonpenz
12-29-2004, 02:17 PM
YOUR GOING TO DROP THE BOMB ON ME!

StcChief
12-29-2004, 02:21 PM
The Rose - classic.

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-29-2004, 02:23 PM
Conway Twitty's version is as classic as music gets. Bette Midler's is as boring, sad and tired as it gets.

Iowanian
12-29-2004, 02:25 PM
Conway Twitty knew how to speak to the ladith.

soooooooooome saaaaaaaaaay looooooooooooove
it is a riiiiiiiiiver

YOU PRICK! Now look whats in my head.

Demonpenz
12-29-2004, 02:27 PM
Oh i thought you were talking about that first 80's ballad that is played at the dance

Baby Lee
12-29-2004, 02:31 PM
Oh i thought you were talking about that first 80's ballad that is played at the dance
No, The Rose is the song the sign language club signed to in class.

Baby Lee
12-29-2004, 02:33 PM
Conway Twitty knew how to speak to the ladith.

soooooooooome saaaaaaaaaay looooooooooooove
it is a riiiiiiiiiver

YOU PRICK! Now look whats in my head.
Here, let me help.

Lay you down and softly whisper, pretty love words in your ear.
Lay ya' down and tell you all the things, a woman loves to hear.

Iowanian
12-29-2004, 02:36 PM
Now you're talkin'......but it better not be to me.

...you may think of stary skies, or moon light on the ground, Darlin I'd just love to lay you down......

I may have to dig into the server and see if my Good old stuff is still there..........

Baby Lee
12-29-2004, 02:44 PM
Now you're talkin'......but it better not be to me.

...you may think of stary skies, or moon light on the ground, Darlin I'd just love to lay you down......

I may have to dig into the server and see if my Good old stuff is still there..........
My mom lived on Conway and Loretty LPs when I was growing up, whether together or on their own.

Though I haven't heard them in over 20 years, I could probably recite all the lyrices of;

Woman enough, to take my man
Fist city
Lay you down
Hello Darlin'
I've never been this far before
Tight Fittin' Jeans
Louisiana Woman, Mississippi Man
It's only make believe
Please help me, I'm fallin'
You're lookin' at country
When the tingle becomes a chill
Don't come home a drinkin.

Frosty
12-29-2004, 02:52 PM
Loretta Lynn's new CD, Van Lear Rose is friggin' awesome. It's the one she did with Jack White, of the White Stripes. It's a great mix of classic country and garage band angst.

Iowanian
12-29-2004, 02:58 PM
Is Jack White her Grandson or something?

Baby Lee
12-29-2004, 02:58 PM
Loretta Lynn's new CD, Van Lear Rose is friggin' awesome. It's the one she did with Jack White, of the White Stripes. It's a great mix of classic country and garage band angst.
As both a Loretty and White Stripes fan, I got it the first day it came out.

Baby Lee
12-29-2004, 02:59 PM
Is Jack White her Grandson or something?
He's just a fan, with some strong ideas on how her music should be mastered. He did a great job producing.

Iowanian
12-29-2004, 03:05 PM
I thought she was probably looking to Coat tail onto Johnny Cash's success with Hurt.

It must be the "in thing" now to work country.....Kid Rock thinks he's hank Jr, Jimmy Buffet croons with Martina McBride, Uncle Cracker was with Chesney, and now has his own stuff on Country Radio...........

I'm on the Brad Paisley Bandwagon bigtime.....that guy is legit, oldschool Country.

Baby Lee
12-29-2004, 03:12 PM
I thought she was probably looking to Coat tail onto Johnny Cash's success with Hurt.

It must be the "in thing" now to work country.....Kid Rock thinks he's hank Jr, Jimmy Buffet croons with Martina McBride, Uncle Cracker was with Chesney, and now has his own stuff on Country Radio...........

I'm on the Brad Paisley Bandwagon bigtime.....that guy is legit, oldschool Country.
1. You do know that all four volumes of American Recordings with Rick Ruben were critical and popular successes, some of Johnny's best work, actually.
2. How could you forget Tim McGraw and Nelly? ;)

Rain Man
12-29-2004, 03:36 PM
The Rose is a great song. I can do a very heartfelt rendition of it, even if it makes the cats scratch at the door.

badgirl
12-29-2004, 03:46 PM
I like when Dolly Pardon sings I will always love you :thumb:

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-29-2004, 03:58 PM
I like when Dolly Pardon sings I will always love you :thumb:
I don't so much.....but I'd rather listen to her do it than Whitney "over-singer" Houston anyday.

badgirl
12-29-2004, 04:06 PM
I don't so much.....but I'd rather listen to her do it than Whitney "over-singer" Houston anyday.
yep :thumb:

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-29-2004, 04:10 PM
The greatest lyrics ever... written by Kris Kristofferson...sung by Johnny Cash...

"Well I woke up this morning with no way to hold my head that didn't hurt.... and the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad....so I had one more dessert."

Mosbonian
12-29-2004, 04:44 PM

The guy married well too....married Kim Williams, the gal from "According to Jim"....

If you like "old school" country then you must like Alan Jackson...

mmaddog

Baby Lee
12-29-2004, 04:49 PM
The greatest lyrics ever... written by Kris Kristofferson...sung by Johnny Cash...

"Well I woke up this morning with no way to hold my head that didn't hurt.... and the beer I had for breakfast wasn't bad....so I had one more dessert."
Sorry, but the greatest lyric ever is as follows

He stopped lovin' her today,
They placed a wreath upon his door,
Soon they'll carry him away,
He stopped lovin' her today.

END OF STORY!!!!!

Bowser
12-29-2004, 04:52 PM
Just for a second, I thought Baby Lee was getting wood for Poison's Every Rose Has a Thorn garbage. Whew.

TheNextStep
12-29-2004, 04:54 PM
My ex-wife used that song as an anthem to try to win me back.

I hate it.

Baby Lee
12-29-2004, 04:55 PM
Just for a second, I thought Baby Lee was getting wood for Poison's Every Rose Has a Thorn garbage. Whew.
Couldn't stand Poison even when they were the supposed shiznit.

Gotta give Brett Michaels credit for poking fun at his image of late, though, playing a caricature of himself on Gilmore Girls.

TheNextStep
12-29-2004, 04:56 PM
Oh, and I don't know that I'd classify Brad Paisley as "old school country" either. I like him and he can pick the hell out of a guitar, don't get me wrong, but he's got a little too much flash for me to buy it as "old school."

Gimme George Strait or Chris LeDoux or some of Alan Jackson's stuff over Paisley as "old school country."

Baby Lee
12-29-2004, 04:58 PM
Actually, I wouldn't say I 'got wood' for The Rose either. I just found it odd that I hadn't heard anything about the song for so long, then inside a week, I was laughing at it's cheesiness in NapDyn, then humming along when I heard it on the radio.

Mosbonian
12-29-2004, 05:00 PM
Sorry, but the greatest lyric ever is as follows

He stopped lovin' her today,
They placed a wreath upon his door,
Soon they'll carry him away,
He stopped lovin' her today.

END OF STORY!!!!!

George Jones!!!!

Depending on which source you read, that song is considered the best country song of all time....

mmaddog

Bowser
12-29-2004, 05:00 PM
Actually, I wouldn't say I 'got wood' for The Rose either. I just found it odd that I hadn't heard anything about the song for so long, then inside a week, I was laughing at it's cheesiness in NapDyn, then humming along when I heard it on the radio.

I need to see that flick. I live WAAY to much of a sheltered life these days. Heard nothing but good things about it.

Baby Lee
12-29-2004, 05:05 PM
I need to see that flick. I live WAAY to much of a sheltered life these days. Heard nothing but good things about it.
I think it's a 'Lebowski,' that's to say a film you need to acclimatize to. I watched the first half without so much as cracking a smile, then went to bed saying "well that's a bust." The next day I chuckled a bit about some of the stuff I saw [particularly the brother backing over the tupperware], so I popped it back in and finished. Laughed much more in the second go 'round. Since then, little snippets have stuck in my mind and give consistent chuckles.
Actually, the best laugh was in the deleted scenes, when ND pulled the same slap and run maneuver on the jock at school that he'd pulled on his brother.