PDA

View Full Version : Kurt Warner: "I'm no backup"

Saulbadguy
12-29-2004, 02:22 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1955151

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Two-time MVP quarterback Kurt Warner plans to leave the New York Giants after this season rather than remain a backup to Eli Manning.

"I am not going to be content being a backup, that's just the bottom line," Warner said Wednesday. "I loved my year here, but I am not content being a backup. I think I showed people and did things here and won games and that I have proven I can play and start in this league."

Warner, 33, said the Giants know how he feels.

"I think that everybody's thought process right now is I want to be somewhere starting next year, and they know it's not here with the New York Giants," said Warner, the one-time Arena League player who led the St. Louis Rams to two Super Bowl appearances, including a championship after the 1999 season.

While Warner signed a two-year contract with the team in June, he has met the criteria necessary to void the final year of the deal.

Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi refused to comment on Warner's contract status.

Warner, who beat out Manning for the starting job in training camp, led the Giants to a 5-2 start. He was replaced by the No. 1 pick overall in the NFL draft after losses to Chicago and Arizona and the team has failed to win a game with Manning at quarterback.

Warner came to New York as somewhat of a question mark. He suffered a concussion in a season-opening loss to the Giants in 2003 and lost his starting job to Marc Bulger.

The Rams gave Bulger a long-term contract and released Warner on June 1. The Giants signed him the following day to be a caretaker until Manning was ready.

Warner, who had been bothered by injuries in recent years, completed 174-of-277 passes for 2,054 yards, six touchdowns and four interceptions. He had a respectable 86.5 passer rating.

"My whole goal was to show people I could throw the football, I could lead and I could win," Warner said. "I think I showed people I could do that. Coming in, nobody had any expectations for this football team and to be a leader of a team that was 5-2 and had the second best record in the NFC, I'm happy with that."

Warner also showed he could be a team player.

After Manning was given the starting job, Warner never once complained. He constantly offered Manning advice and was the biggest cheerleader on the sidelines.

Since being replaced as a starter, Warner has appeared only in a a mop-up role against Baltimore. He immediately led the Giants on a touchdown drive.

Warner said he hasn't concentrated on which teams need a starting quarterback next season, but he mentioned Dallas, Chicago and Miami as possibilities.

Warner said he feels for Manning, who is now winless in six starts heading into the season finale at Giants Stadium against the Dallas Cowboys (6-9) on Sunday night.

"You see his play continually improving week-in, week-out, and you know he is at the point where he just wants to get a victory," Warner said. "He just wants something to go in our favor, for us to make that one play that will make the difference in a game and get win and build off that."

Saulbadguy
12-29-2004, 02:24 PM
I wonder where he will go? I think Miami would be the most logical choice.

Ultra Peanut
12-29-2004, 02:31 PM
Kinda uppity for a Hy-Vee stockboy, isn't he?

Iowanian
12-29-2004, 02:33 PM
Miami has too much tied up in Feely and feidler.

I could see need for a vet QB in Chicago, AZ, Dallas(if Vinnie Retires), San Fran...

my suprise pick is Baltimore.

Cochise
12-29-2004, 02:43 PM
He can still play. Why would he stay someplace where they are going to play Manning no matter how bad he blew this year? He deserves a chance.

Mile High Mania
12-29-2004, 02:47 PM
Dallas is the first place that comes to mind... Chicago likes their QB, he looked good prior to the injury. I don't know what Baltimore is waiting on with Boller - that guy just sucks.

Who knows what's up with the Cardinals.

I'd say Dallas and Baltimore are his 2 best bets, but still he's not a long term solution. He is 33 and past his prime... I think he's lost something and while he played good in NY, he did nothing noteworthy.

Saulbadguy
12-29-2004, 02:48 PM
Miami has too much tied up in Feely and feidler.

I could see need for a vet QB in Chicago, AZ, Dallas(if Vinnie Retires), San Fran...

my suprise pick is Baltimore.
I think he would end up in Miami over Chicago or Dallas. I thought Miami was stupid for not picking up Brunell. They need a good veteran QB, to supplement their good defense. A RB and O-Line wouldn't hurt either.

Dallas would be the next in line, unless they plan to start Drew Hensen sometime soon.

Chicago, no way they give up on Rex Grossman yet...

My surprise pick would be Arizona.

Mr. Laz
12-29-2004, 02:52 PM
i wouldn't want a Quarterback who "considered himself" a backup

unless your in a situation like Todd collins and your just a veteran security policy for the rest of your career.

LiL stumppy
12-29-2004, 02:58 PM
I wonder where he will go? I think Miami would be the most logical choice.

Maybe CHicago is Rex Grossmen sucks or gets hurt.

Cochise
12-29-2004, 02:58 PM
Dallas is the first place that comes to mind... Chicago likes their QB, he looked good prior to the injury. I don't know what Baltimore is waiting on with Boller - that guy just sucks.

Who knows what's up with the Cardinals.

I'd say Dallas and Baltimore are his 2 best bets, but still he's not a long term solution. He is 33 and past his prime... I think he's lost something and while he played good in NY, he did nothing noteworthy.

Boller definitely does suck, but they traded back into the first round to get him after they had already picked Suggs earlier in the round. I can't remember what they gave up but I'm sure they are reluctant to call him a bust.

So far he doesn't look any better than Redman who was there before, whom I still think would be a good QB in the right situation, with some form of talent around him.

Phobia
12-29-2004, 03:02 PM
Are we certain this was an interview with Kurt or was it really an interview with Brenda?

Iowanian
12-29-2004, 03:02 PM
I could see Washington Also. Bruenell looked like a guy who needed to retire to me. They've got a RB, some decent WRS and a defense...........A little help on Oline, and a Solid Vet QB and they're a contender.

If Warner went to Balt, it could do alot of good towards saving Boller, by learning for a year or two.......but Warner may not want to look over his shoulder next year.

AZ sure has the WRs....A QB, running game, some Oline and a little more Defense, and they'll win that turd division...and I know thats "Alot" to improve.

who knows.

Saulbadguy
12-29-2004, 03:03 PM
Boller has one more year to "prove" himself before he becomes a career backup, IMO.

Sure-Oz
12-29-2004, 03:05 PM
Collins has the easiest career ever, must be nice sitting on the bench with a notepad for a few years and collecting a check, good for him though!

DeepSouth
12-29-2004, 03:17 PM
I'd like to see the Saints $hit can Brooks and sign Warner.

Bearcat
12-29-2004, 03:17 PM
Oh, please... a lot of backups in this league can throw for 200 yards and one touchdown vs... :hmmm: Washington, Cleveland, Green Bay, Dallas, Minnesota.

Go back to Food 4 Less and STFU

LiL stumppy
12-29-2004, 03:18 PM
I think he still has some gas in him.

Ari Chi3fs
12-29-2004, 03:19 PM
well, isnt his boy the head coach of da Bears?

Ultra Peanut
12-29-2004, 03:19 PM
I think he still has some gas in him.
So do I.

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-29-2004, 03:50 PM
My bold prediction is that Kurt signs with Oakland...because Kerry Collins is too flaky, Tiu doesn't have enough experience and Gannon is done. Al Davis will like Warners "proven veteran leadership" and "undying desire to win" and will convince Kurt that he really isn't the devil....(introduce paycheck)

My second bold prediction is that Al Davis will quickly prove to Kurt that he really is the devil soon after ink is dry and Kurt will be more miserable than ever...at one point calling the entire Raiders organization "stupid and sinful" in a press conference.

It will be the story of the year.

LiL stumppy
12-29-2004, 03:58 PM
LOL beer me.I doubt,As well has Collins has done latly.Im sure the will draft a QB to replace Gannon.

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-29-2004, 04:00 PM
LOL beer me.I doubt,As well has Collins has done latly.Im sure the will draft a QB to replace Gannon.
Ah well...I've been wrong before.......

Calcountry
12-29-2004, 04:02 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1955151

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. -- Two-time MVP quarterback Kurt Warner plans to leave the New York Giants after this season rather than remain a backup to Eli Manning.

"I am not going to be content being a backup, that's just the bottom line," Warner said Wednesday. "I loved my year here, but I am not content being a backup. I think I showed people and did things here and won games and that I have proven I can play and start in this league."

Warner, 33, said the Giants know how he feels.

"I think that everybody's thought process right now is I want to be somewhere starting next year, and they know it's not here with the New York Giants," said Warner, the one-time Arena League player who led the St. Louis Rams to two Super Bowl appearances, including a championship after the 1999 season.

While Warner signed a two-year contract with the team in June, he has met the criteria necessary to void the final year of the deal.

Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi refused to comment on Warner's contract status.

Warner, who beat out Manning for the starting job in training camp, led the Giants to a 5-2 start. He was replaced by the No. 1 pick overall in the NFL draft after losses to Chicago and Arizona and the team has failed to win a game with Manning at quarterback.

Warner came to New York as somewhat of a question mark. He suffered a concussion in a season-opening loss to the Giants in 2003 and lost his starting job to Marc Bulger.

The Rams gave Bulger a long-term contract and released Warner on June 1. The Giants signed him the following day to be a caretaker until Manning was ready.

Warner, who had been bothered by injuries in recent years, completed 174-of-277 passes for 2,054 yards, six touchdowns and four interceptions. He had a respectable 86.5 passer rating.

"My whole goal was to show people I could throw the football, I could lead and I could win," Warner said. "I think I showed people I could do that. Coming in, nobody had any expectations for this football team and to be a leader of a team that was 5-2 and had the second best record in the NFC, I'm happy with that."

Warner also showed he could be a team player.

After Manning was given the starting job, Warner never once complained. He constantly offered Manning advice and was the biggest cheerleader on the sidelines.

Since being replaced as a starter, Warner has appeared only in a a mop-up role against Baltimore. He immediately led the Giants on a touchdown drive.

Warner said he hasn't concentrated on which teams need a starting quarterback next season, but he mentioned Dallas, Chicago and Miami as possibilities.

Warner said he feels for Manning, who is now winless in six starts heading into the season finale at Giants Stadium against the Dallas Cowboys (6-9) on Sunday night.

"You see his play continually improving week-in, week-out, and you know he is at the point where he just wants to get a victory," Warner said. "He just wants something to go in our favor, for us to make that one play that will make the difference in a game and get win and build off that."
Flash to Warner, A backup QB is all you ever were. That includes the SB year in St Loser.