PDA

View Full Version : Q&A DV/ addition to PS

Wile_E_Coyote
12-29-2004, 02:24 PM
Q&A with Dick Vermeil

Dec 29, 2004, 3:07:45 PM

Q: How did the players come back?

DICK VERMEIL: “Well, they’ve had three days of rest and had time to spend with their families. Today, I used a short week-type practice, a walk-through, jog-through rather than a full normal practice.”

Q: Any discussion with your team that some of them are out there playing for jobs?

VERMEIL: “No. The normal routine is around 12, 13 or 15 players on a roster each year (who are replaced). I don’t know if there’ll be that many this year. There could be, may not be. I don’t have anybody penciled to go.”

Q: One of the salient facets of this team last year and this year is the way everybody held together despite all the disappointment. Is that something that just comes from within or is that something the coaching staff works on?

VERMEIL: “Hopefully, it’s part of our process, our values and what we believe in and what we sell as an organization from Lamar Hunt right on down to Carl (Peterson) and to me and my coaching staff. It’s part of a process of how we develop and work with our players and the mutual exchange of respect and what we expect. We try not to allow losing to affect our integrity, our win-loss record maybe, but not our integrity.

“Over the years I’ve lost a lot of football games, so maybe I have too much experience handling it. It’s just something I believe in. Many times out of severe disappointment you learn more. You never remain the same. You either get worse or you get better and, for the most part, my experience has been guys that have handled adversity and losing properly get better.”

Q: Some of the defensive players seem almost humbled by how well they’re treated and respected by the offensive players who have done so well.

VERMEIL: “Again, that’s a reflection of how we do things. So far it isn’t good enough to win a championship, but it’s never hurt me in the past. It’s a lot more fun to coach and work and develop players that way. It’s not magic. It’s just an approach.”

Q: Does it kind of make you sick knowing how well you’re playing now that the season is over after this week?

VERMEIL: “I don’t look at it that way. I look at it more like, what do we have to do to start out better again. Last year we started out winning nine in a row. In fact, if you took last year and this year there’s only three football teams in the NFL that have won more games than we have. So, we haven’t been a total flop, we just haven’t played as well as we should have early in the season. We lost some games maybe we shouldn’t have lost. New England has won more games, Philadelphia has won more games, and there’s one more team that has won more games than we have in combined won-loss record.

“We didn’t get the things done early in the season. We’re minus in turnovers rather than positive; we have far more defensive penalties than we had a year ago than we have right now; we’ve given up too many first downs in tight situations when we had somebody stopped. All those things add up to get you beat in real tight, tight football games no matter how many points you score. These are all things we can do a better job of coaching in the future.”

Q: Last year when Priest Holmes came close to getting the record you said you kind of owed it to him because of how far he’s taken you. Tony Gonzalez is nine catches away from the tight end record. Do you feel the same respect for that record?

VERMEIL: “The thing is about Tony Gonzalez: anytime he catches the ball we’re moving the ball. He very seldom catches one behind the line of scrimmage. But I don’t think we’ll do anything other than make sure that Tony Gonzalez gets the football so we can move the ball and score rather than thinking about breaking a record. If he ends up breaking a record, great, just like Trent only needs 11 completions and a 113 or 114 yards to become the all-time single season quarterback. That’ll happen in the process of trying to win.”

Q: But say in the third quarter he’s three catches away or the fourth, do you or Al (Saunders) ever say he’s only two catches away?

VERMEIL: “I can’t say. We haven’t talked about it.”

Q: How did you approach the final of the season when you already had a playoff spot clinched?

VERMEIL: “I think I played Marshall Faulk the first series, Kurt Warner the first quarter or something like that. I don’t remember the details. The key, key guys that make a difference in winning or losing as individuals, I think for the most part, we took them out of the ball game. I know we got beat by doing that to a losing team, but it was the best thing for us to do at that time.

“Last year we still had something to gain when we were playing the final game of the year against Chicago here. So, we approached it a little bit differently.

“If all of us as head coaches could define which play a player is going to get hurt on and take him out on that play, we’d be geniuses. We can’t do that, so, what you have to do is just go with the odds. A guy can’t get hurt sitting on the bench watching a game. I don’t know how many times guys have lost a real good player on the last game of the season.

I know this: I went into the ball game in a similar situation in ‘99 making sure that Kurt Warner and Marshall Faulk, Orlando Pace, and those kinds of guys weren’t going to get hurt. Now, I had played them a little bit early in the ball game and I was scared to death. We had the bye and the home field advantage all locked up through the playoffs.”

Q: If something did happen how would you feel?

VERMEIL: “First off, it’s not that you wouldn’t be able to forgive yourself, nobody in the media business would ever allow you forgive yourself.”

Q: How do you expect Marty Schottenheimer will approach this final game?

VERMEIL: “I talked to some our coaches who were here with him before and they’ve said when they had some things all locked in for the playoffs he reverted back to a pre-season game approach playing them through the first half or the first quarter and a half and then start to take people out. But I have no idea what he’s going to do. We don’t control that.”

Q: Why do you suppose Marty hasn’t been able to win in the playoffs?

VERMEIL: “Normally when you can’t win the big game you’ve played the wrong team. Think back to Bum Phillips and the Houston Oilers trying to beat Pittsburgh. They always had to go to Pittsburgh to go to the big game. It’s just tough to do. Sometimes that’s just the key factor.

Sometimes when everything is equal in the great big game you don’t have the one guy on offense that all of a sudden makes the difference, or takes the game beyond coaching, like I had in the Super Bowl where Isaac Bruce takes a play and goes beyond the play. He’s a great player and catches a long pass and makes everyone miss and you win the football game. Normally, when it comes down to big championship games that are real close someone has to step up and make that play.”

Q: What about playoff experience as a factor?

VERMEIL: “Well, I had the youngest team or next to youngest team in football in ‘99, so maybe it’s the fact that you’ve never been there. The Rams had almost no guys who had playoff experience so they never had a bad one. They never had a bad experience so they made it a good one.”

Q: Because this is a road game and the Chargers are as good as they are, is this as tough a challenge as you’ve faced the last five or six weeks?

VERMEIL: “I think most head coaches would tell you that when you’re out of the playoffs and go on the road to play a good football team at the end of the year it’s always a challenge. I’ll be surprised if these guys don’t play very well because I think it’s just part of how they play. It’s part of their personality and profile as a football team. We haven’t played well enough to win sometimes, but we’ve played hard enough to win.”

Q: Do you like this abbreviated schedule you’ve been on for the last couple of weeks?

VERMEIL: “I don’t like it personally, my coaches sort of talked me into it. I like learning; I like trying to do things better. We’ll find out if I like it. You’re always looking to find a way to do things better. I’ve found the older I’ve gotten in my career, the more susceptible I am to listening to find a better way. I used to be very stubborn but I’m not as stubborn as I used to be.

“You’ve got to be very careful in longer weeks in giving them more to do. Sometimes you play better in shorter weeks because coaches don’t give them too much to do. You don’t waste as many reps on the practice field. You do more things you’re going to do rather than fooling around.”

Chiefs Sign RB Jonathan Smith to Practice Squad

Dec 29, 2004, 1:18:48 PM

Kansas City Chiefs President Carl Peterson announced on Wednesday that the club had signed RB Jonathan Smith to the club’s practice squad.

RB Jonathan Smith (5-8, 193) rejoins the club after going to training camp with the Chiefs in 2004. He saw two years of action at Washington State after spending a year at both East Los Angeles College and Pasadena Community College. Smith appeared in 12 games (eight starts) as a senior for the Cougars, leading the team with 961 rushing yards (4.3 avg.) on 224 carries with 10 touchdowns and caught 33 passes for 349 yards (10.6 avg.) with one TD. The Pasadena, California native was named Conference Player of the Year following his senior season at Narbonne High School.

Phobia
12-29-2004, 02:30 PM
VERMEIL: “I don’t look at it that way. I look at it more like, what do we have to do to start out better again. Last year we started out winning nine in a row. In fact, if you took last year and this year there’s only three football teams in the NFL that have won more games than we have. So, we haven’t been a total flop, we just haven’t played as well as we should have early in the season. We lost some games maybe we shouldn’t have lost. New England has won more games, Philadelphia has won more games, and there’s one more team that has won more games than we have in combined won-loss record.

Vermeil is a stats queen, but I don't understand why this particular stat is relevent. It doesn't mean shit. It's like the bow on your Christmas gift.

Frankie
12-29-2004, 02:31 PM
Qhote:

Q: Any discussion with your team that some of them are out there playing for jobs?

VERMEIL: “No. The normal routine is around 12, 13 or 15 players on a roster each year (who are replaced). I don’t know if there’ll be that many this year. There could be, may not be. I don’t have anybody penciled to go.”

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

bogie
12-29-2004, 02:37 PM
Qhote:

I understand he can't talk about who's going to lose their job. But he should stfu with statements like "I don't have anybody penciled to go"

Frosty
12-29-2004, 02:46 PM
Jonathan Smith is going to have a good shot at being Blaylock's replacement. They are similar in size and quickness, though Blaylock is faster, I believe. If Smith can play special teams well, he should have a shot, so that the Chiefs don't have to spend money or draft picks on a 3rd string running back.

Mr. Laz
12-29-2004, 02:50 PM
Qhote:

your starting to get hit upside the head with the reality of being a chiefs fan

why do you think i'm so bitter/harsh about things

i don't expect much change this offseason at all

no coaching changes, 2/3 cuts ... 2/3 additions, none of which will be considered high impact(ie signing a blue chip free agent)

bricks
12-29-2004, 03:04 PM
God, I sometimes hate it when DV implies statistics. I have no problems when he implies stats and compares the differences from this year to last year on certain categories, like: penalties, to ratio, red zone efficiency, etc. But, please DV, don't compare our win-loss records over the last 2 years with Philly and NE. We are way out of competition when it comes to those teams. :shake:

KCChiefsFan88
12-29-2004, 03:23 PM
Qhote:

Vermeil said something similar about Greg Robinson at the end of the regular season, that he anticipated Robinson being here as long as Vermeil was coaching

bricks
12-29-2004, 03:32 PM
There has to be some changes! F@ck all the hugs and kisses Vermeil. And Why? To all these guys on defense that aren't even worth a bag of footballs.
Their better be some changes on defense or I am going to f@cking lose it! And
not look forward to watching Chiefs football next year!!

Frankie
12-29-2004, 03:50 PM
Vermeil said something similar about Greg Robinson at the end of the regular season, that he anticipated Robinson being here as long as Vermeil was coaching
I know ;). I'm aware of the grain-of-salt factor in these things. But it still hurts to hear.

R&GHomer
12-29-2004, 04:03 PM
:eek: Trent only needs 11 completions and a 113 or 114 yards to become the all-time single season quarterback.

I didn't realize this. I sure hope him and Tony break their records.

As for DV, It's mostly coach speek. A whole lot of players will not be here next year. In this I have NO doubt.

BigChiefFan
12-29-2004, 04:06 PM
I realize Vermeil can only say so much, but if they truly believe they coach up the defense there is no hope for the Chiefs under his watch.

Dartgod
12-29-2004, 04:10 PM
:eek: Trent only needs 11 completions and a 113 or 114 yards to become the all-time single season quarterback.

I didn't realize this. I sure hope him and Tony break their records.
I think he's referring to a Chiefs record, not NFL.

Calcountry
12-29-2004, 04:30 PM
There has to be some changes! F@ck all the hugs and kisses Vermeil. And Why? To all these guys on defense that aren't even worth a bag of footballs.
Their better be some changes on defense or I am going to f@cking lose it! And
not look forward to watching Chiefs football next year!!
Seriously, if this is how he feels, the DV should be the first motha fugga to go.

I'm done with his shit. You can't sugar coat a fuggin disaster coach.

:shake: :cuss:

Pants
12-29-2004, 04:33 PM
Seriously, if this is how he feels, the DV should be the first motha fugga to go.

Disaster? Were you bitching last year? DV is the shit.

HemiEd
12-29-2004, 05:14 PM

Would you rather watch a friggen field goal match? I love watching this team, they are really exciting! Get rid of Woods and Bartee, replace them with kids that can play and we are on our way!

Logical
12-29-2004, 06:36 PM
VERMEIL: “No. The normal routine is around 12, 13 or 15 players on a roster each year (who are replaced). I don’t know if there’ll be that many this year. There could be, may not be. I don’t have anybody penciled to go.” :cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

2bikemike
12-29-2004, 08:41 PM
I believe there will be a some pretty big changes. DV is not going to come right out and say it. He may even give some of these guys a shot through training camp. But you can bet come the final cuts in training camp this team is going to have some major changes from this years opening line up.

Frankie
12-29-2004, 08:57 PM
Would you rather watch a friggen field goal match? I love watching this team, they are really exciting! Get rid of Woods and Bartee, replace them with kids that can play and we are on our way!

Agreed. Given the choice of a team with a great 'O' and a lousy 'D' vs a team with the opposite, I think most will pick the former. Although, I'm really hopeful that we won't need to make that choice with a few new 'D' players and position coaches to replace the dead weight.

Count Zarth
12-29-2004, 09:01 PM
The Chiefs should feed Tony G the ball.

Logical
12-29-2004, 09:04 PM
The Chiefs should feed Tony G the ball.When it comes to football you usually make a little bit of sense, which is what makes this post so very puzzling.

Frankie
12-29-2004, 09:13 PM
The Chiefs should feed Tony G the ball.
Medium rare too.

go bowe
12-29-2004, 09:23 PM
Medium rare too.i dunno, i always thought balls tasted better when they were welll done... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Frankie
12-29-2004, 09:30 PM
i dunno, i always thought balls tasted better when they were welll done... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Coming slowly out of the closet, go bo? ;) ;)