PDA

View Full Version : So..how do we feel about Phillip Buchanon?

Saulbadguy
12-29-2004, 05:24 PM
Does he fit the "profile"? :rolleyes:

http://www.boston.com/dailynews/364/sports/Buchanon_wants_to_be_traded_fr:.shtml

Buchanon wants to be traded from Raiders

By Janie Mccauley, Associated Press, 12/29/2004 18:50

ADVERTISEMENT
ALAMEDA, Calif. (AP) Cornerback Phillip Buchanon is so frustrated with the way the Oakland Raiders are operating that he wants to be traded.

Buchanon, the Raiders' first-round draft pick in 2002 out of Miami, said he spoke with team personnel chief Michael Lombardi to express his desire to go elsewhere.

''The way I am feeling about the Raiders, I am not happy,'' Buchanon said Wednesday. ''I am just not happy with the organization right now. I am looking forward to a possible trade with somebody else.''

Both Lombardi and Buchanon's agent, Terry Williams, declined to comment after learning of Buchanon's statement, made four days before Oakland (5-10) ends another disappointing season at home Sunday against Jacksonville.

If Buchanon leaves, there's a possibility the Raiders will lose both starting cornerbacks this offseason.

Four-time Pro Bowler Charles Woodson, making nearly $9 million this season as Oakland's franchise player, could earn as much as $10.5 million next season if the Raiders kept the franchise tag on him an expensive move that seems unlikely, especially after his arrest last week for public intoxication.

Woodson has said for months he wants to be the highest paid cornerback in the league, a distinction currently held by Champ Bailey of Denver. Bailey signed a seven-year, $63 million contract with the Broncos last offseason that includes an $18 million signing bonus and $5 million in other bonuses.

Buchanon has 59 tackles 50 solo three interceptions, nine pass deflections and a fumble recovery this season, but has been consistently poor returning punts. Coach Norv Turner has stuck by him despite the struggles.

Buchanon refers to himself as ''Showtime,'' and arrived at training camp in 2003 as a second-year pro in a limousine and wearing a fancy pajama suit.

''I mean there is a lot of stuff that goes on here and it ain't right,'' he said. ''I am not feeling too good here. I am not happy with the organization. Things ain't good right now. I know that.''

Rain Man
12-29-2004, 05:28 PM
Anyone who wants to leave the Raid ers has something going for him. At the same time...

Saulbadguy
12-29-2004, 05:28 PM
Actually, it doesn't matter. He won't be traded, and if he was, no way Al Davis would deal him to us.

ChiefsFire
12-29-2004, 05:29 PM
grab Buch and Woodson in one deal.......they would look great in red and gold

NaptownChief
12-29-2004, 05:38 PM
Coming out of college I thought he would be a playa but to date he has looked more like pile of Raiders.

Ultra Peanut
12-29-2004, 05:39 PM
grab Buch and Woodson in one deal.......they would look great in red and goldThey would fit right in with Battle and Burntee.

ChiefsFire
12-29-2004, 05:40 PM
would it be safe to have woodson and warfield on the same team with their love of going out for a few pops??

htismaqe
12-29-2004, 05:57 PM
Buchanon is overrated, IMO. He's a good 2nd-tier who makes alot of plays on the ball.

But he gives up way too many big plays and doesn't tackle all that well.

OmahaChief
12-29-2004, 06:11 PM
I will agree that P-Buch has not lived up to hype to this point. I do think after watching him a ton in college he can be a shut down corner in the league. I would take him in a heartbeat.

Dr. Facebook Fever
12-29-2004, 06:51 PM
Cornerback Phillip Buchanon is so frustrated with the way the Oakland Raiders are operating that he wants to be traded.

That's a good sign that the lights are on upstairs. I'd take him. Then convert him to safety.

:)

TheNextStep
12-29-2004, 06:54 PM
I am a homer... and I'll tell you that Buchanon is the first Raider since Rickey Dudley that can honestly say I dislike. From his grandiose delusions of greatness (complete with constant third person references to himself) to his penchant for giving up big plays to the lack of making plays over the last year and a half, I've had enough of the guy.

elvomito
12-29-2004, 07:22 PM
showtime needs a haircut and needs to stop wearing pajamas in public

Frankie
12-29-2004, 08:09 PM
Actually, it doesn't matter. He won't be traded, and if he was, no way Al Davis would deal him to us.

True.

Though I wouldn't mind another Buchanan in the Chiefs defense. The last one wasn't too shabby you know.

Frankie
12-29-2004, 08:11 PM
Coming out of college I thought he would be a playa but to date he has looked more like pile of Raiders.

He just hasn't had the great coaching that our DB coach can provide. I say get him and coach him back to greatness. ;)

Frankie
12-29-2004, 08:15 PM
I am a homer... and I'll tell you that Buchanon is the first Raider since Rickey Dudley that can honestly say I dislike. From his grandiose delusions of greatness (complete with constant third person references to himself) to his penchant for giving up big plays to the lack of making plays over the last year and a half, I've had enough of the guy.

LEON?!!!... I take it back. I don't want him.

2bikemike
12-29-2004, 08:16 PM

I agree with you. The guys is a legend in his own mind. I do not want him in KC.

I also think that with the new rules Shut down corners are damn near extinct.

Frankie
12-29-2004, 08:19 PM
I also think that with the new rules Shut down corners are damn near extinct.
That would be bad news for us. Gun's 'D' runs on shut-down corners.

TheNextStep
12-29-2004, 08:22 PM
Tell you what, we'll trade you Philip Buchanon for Larry Johnson, straight up.

Deal?

bricks
12-29-2004, 08:23 PM
sorry to burst your bubble Saul, but, buchanan isn't coming here. think of the logic behind this, do you really think Al davis would deal with Lamar hunt? These guys have been foes since the AFL days. No way would they deal with each other.

Pants
12-29-2004, 08:25 PM
Phil got dominated by Gonzo on Sunday. Doesn't mean he's bad (Gonzo pwns everybody), just saying.

Saulbadguy
12-29-2004, 08:26 PM
sorry to burst your bubble Saul, but, buchanan isn't coming here. think of the logic behind this, do you really think Al davis would deal with Lamar hunt? These guys have been foes since the AFL days. No way would they deal with each other.
See post 3.

TheNextStep
12-29-2004, 08:29 PM

Marcus Allen was twice the player that Buchanon is... and he ended up on the Chiefs. How did that happen, I wonder?

And saying that Hunt and Davis have been foes from the AFL days is to not truly comprehend their history together. As recently as two years ago, Lamar Hunt was quoted as saying that people would be surprised to learn that he and Al are actually on very good terms and have been for a long time.

bricks
12-29-2004, 08:30 PM
See post 3.

:doh!: sorry dude. Thanks anyway :thumb:

Ultra Peanut
12-29-2004, 08:43 PM
Tell you what, we'll trade you Philip Buchanon for Larry Johnson, straight up.

Deal?Even Vlad would turn that shit down. ROFL

Skip Towne
12-29-2004, 08:47 PM
Even Vlad would turn that shit down. ROFL
A month ago 3/4 of this board would have jumped on that deal.

TheNextStep
12-29-2004, 08:49 PM
What if we took Jason Whitlock off your hands, too?

Pants
12-29-2004, 08:54 PM

Shit, we'd give you LJ just for that.

Logical
12-29-2004, 08:58 PM
Even Vlad would turn that shit down. ROFLFunny but true

Count Zarth
12-29-2004, 08:59 PM
Yeah, HELL NO.

Frankie
12-29-2004, 09:04 PM
A month ago 3/4 of this board would have jumped on that deal.
I'd say almost 100%.

2bikemike
12-29-2004, 09:10 PM

Were hoping you would sign Jeff George as your QB and then we would hope Whitlock would just go to Oakland.

TheNextStep
12-29-2004, 09:11 PM
Were hoping you would sign Jeff George as your QB and then we would hope Whitlock would just go to Oakland.
We fell for that once, man. Fool me once, shame on me... fool me twice and...

milkman
12-29-2004, 10:15 PM
Marcus Allen was twice the player that Buchanon is... and he ended up on the Chiefs. How did that happen, I wonder?

And saying that Hunt and Davis have been foes from the AFL days is to not truly comprehend their history together. As recently as two years ago, Lamar Hunt was quoted as saying that people would be surprised to learn that he and Al are actually on very good terms and have been for a long time.

Marcus Allen was a FA.
He wasn't aquired via trade.

As for Lamar and Al being on good terms, I don't believe it for a second.

I'd bet you could look at the history of these 2 teams and you wouldn't find a trade between them in 40 years.

the Talking Can
12-29-2004, 10:18 PM
Buchanon = Warfield

in a perfect world I'd take Smoot....

RNR
12-29-2004, 10:52 PM
Phil got dominated by Gonzo on Sunday. Doesn't mean he's bad (Gonzo pwns everybody), just saying.How? did Tony beat up him sunday? He was in street clothes saturday and watched the game from the sidelines. As far as the thread he talks like Deion Sanders and covers like Elvis Patterson :rolleyes:

go bowe
12-29-2004, 10:55 PM
How? did Tony beat up him sunday? He was in street clothes saturday and watched the game from the sidelines. As far as the thread he talks like Deion Sanders and covers like Elvis Patterson :rolleyes:well, obviously he didn't do a very good job of covering gonzo, then, did he?

Saulbadguy
12-29-2004, 10:55 PM
The game was played on Saturday.

RNR
12-29-2004, 10:56 PM
well, obviously he didn't do a very good job of covering gonzo, then, did he?Well along that line of thinking we shut Holmes down :)

go bowe
12-29-2004, 11:03 PM
Well along that line of thinking we shut Holmes down :)and a damned good job you did of it, too... :thumb:

TheNextStep
12-29-2004, 11:09 PM
As for Lamar and Al being on good terms, I don't believe it for a second.

Then you're calling Lamar Hunt a liar, since it was a direct quote in a Kansas City newspaper. I've spent the last 30 minutes trying to Google it for you but can't turn it up. Sorry about that and you can choose not to believe me if you so desire (though I've got no reason to make this sh*t up in the first place).

That said, the belief that Lamar would despise Al is completely counter-intuitive. Lamar Hunt was a visionary. A man who wanted to own an NFL football team and, when that wasn't looking attainable, he created his own football league to compete with them... and they were competing quite well. Then the Giants decided to sign an AFL free agent by the name of Pete Gogolak, breaking what had up until that point been an unwritten rule that the competing leagues wouldn't go after each others' players. Once the NFL did that, Al hammered back by targeting the NFL's premier players - guys like Ditka (who signed with the Oilers), Roman Gabriel (who accepted a check from the Raiders, which forced the Rams to give him a whole hell of a lot more money to keep him), and John Brodie (who also signed a contract with the Oilers). In fact, here's an excerpt from "Going Long," an excellent book on the AFL by Jeff Miller:

Jerry Izenberg - I went to see Scotty Sterling, by then general manager of the Raiders. He unlocked his filing cabinet and pulled out a folder that "CONTRACTS" on the front. He held up - and I don't remember what the name of the quarterback was - Davis had gone out and signed quarterbacks from the NFL. He showed me this contract and said, "This thing will be over within two years."

According to this source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFL-NFL_Merger), Davis signed away 8 starting NFL quarterbacks.

In the end, despite the fact that Al didn't have a voice in negotiating the merger, it was Al's actions that forced it (as evidenced by the fact that the merger plan was laid out two months after Al starting signing away the NFL's talent)... and Lamar Hunt ended up with exactly what he had set out to attain: An NFL Franchise.

So, now... why would he hate Al Davis again? Look, it is natural and understandable for fans to be silly about stupid shit like this... but you really think that Lamar Hunt has a hard on for Al Davis when the incontrovertible fact is that Al Davis was an integral part of making Lamar Hunt's vision a reality? I'm not saying that they're best buddies and go on fishing trips together... but the quote that I read said pretty plainly that Lamar and Al get along just fine.

As for no trades ever happening between the two teams, didn't we get Dave Grayson from the Chiefs?

RNR
12-29-2004, 11:13 PM
As for no trades ever happening between the two teams, didn't we get Dave Grayson from the Chiefs?Fred the Hammer Williamson played for both but I dont if a trade was invloved.

Digital Takawira
12-30-2004, 01:42 AM
the only reason lamar says that he and al are on good terms is that he doesn't feel like getting a frivolous law suit. i have a feeling that al davis secretly runs the Monster cable company.

monster lawsuit (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2004/11/08/BUG1J9N3C61.DTL&type=business)

Logical
12-30-2004, 01:51 AM
I am pretty sure the Chiefs traded John Matuszak to the Raiders but I do not know who we got in exchange.

Rausch
12-30-2004, 01:52 AM
**** you voyager...

RNR
12-30-2004, 08:10 AM
I am pretty sure the Chiefs traded John Matuszak to the R-aiders but I do not know who we got in exchange.

The Chiefs cut the Tooz, he had his share of trouble in KC. It all came to a head when John over dosed on valuims (sp) Paul Wiggins pounded on his chest untill help came. John was all but gone to play in Canada when Oakland called him. It is a sad story about a huge kid with all the talent in the world, who never found happiness and died much too young.

Cochise
12-30-2004, 08:17 AM
Then you're calling Lamar Hunt a liar, since it was a direct quote in a Kansas City newspaper. I've spent the last 30 minutes trying to Google it for you but can't turn it up.

I remember reading that too. It's true. The animosity does not extend to the owners.

beavis
12-30-2004, 08:36 AM
I doubt they would be dumb enough to trade someone worth having to a division rival. But then again, it is the Raiders.

royr17
12-31-2004, 03:00 AM
Screw the profile I just want players who can play, thats our whole problem we are going after profile players and half of those player suck.

I want players taht can play and not just someone who fits that damn stupid profile of DV's.

milkman
12-31-2004, 03:15 AM
Then you're calling Lamar Hunt a liar, since it was a direct quote in a Kansas City newspaper. I've spent the last 30 minutes trying to Google it for you but can't turn it up. Sorry about that and you can choose not to believe me if you so desire (though I've got no reason to make this sh*t up in the first place).

That said, the belief that Lamar would despise Al is completely counter-intuitive. Lamar Hunt was a visionary. A man who wanted to own an NFL football team and, when that wasn't looking attainable, he created his own football league to compete with them... and they were competing quite well. Then the Giants decided to sign an AFL free agent by the name of Pete Gogolak, breaking what had up until that point been an unwritten rule that the competing leagues wouldn't go after each others' players. Once the NFL did that, Al hammered back by targeting the NFL's premier players - guys like Ditka (who signed with the Oilers), Roman Gabriel (who accepted a check from the Raiders, which forced the Rams to give him a whole hell of a lot more money to keep him), and John Brodie (who also signed a contract with the Oilers). In fact, here's an excerpt from "Going Long," an excellent book on the AFL by Jeff Miller:

According to this source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFL-NFL_Merger), Davis signed away 8 starting NFL quarterbacks.

In the end, despite the fact that Al didn't have a voice in negotiating the merger, it was Al's actions that forced it (as evidenced by the fact that the merger plan was laid out two months after Al starting signing away the NFL's talent)... and Lamar Hunt ended up with exactly what he had set out to attain: An NFL Franchise.

So, now... why would he hate Al Davis again? Look, it is natural and understandable for fans to be silly about stupid shit like this... but you really think that Lamar Hunt has a hard on for Al Davis when the incontrovertible fact is that Al Davis was an integral part of making Lamar Hunt's vision a reality? I'm not saying that they're best buddies and go on fishing trips together... but the quote that I read said pretty plainly that Lamar and Al get along just fine.

As for no trades ever happening between the two teams, didn't we get Dave Grayson from the Chiefs?

Yes, I am calling Hunt a liiar.
I believed that you read that quote.
I just don't believe Lamar.

I think it might be what is referred to as being diplomatic.

And I am aware of the history of the AFL.
While Al's action were a big reason for the merger, Al wasn't a proponent of the merger.
He was against the concept altogether.

I read a great article some years back that chronicled the animosity that exists between Al and Lamar in the Sporting News, and the rivalry that existed between all the original owners of the AFL West teams.

I thought I saved that issue, but I haven't been able to find it.

Rausch
12-31-2004, 03:52 AM
I doubt they would be dumb enough to trade someone worth having to a division rival. But then again, it is the Raiders.

Chester, Marcus Allen, etc...

Frankie
12-31-2004, 08:04 AM
Screw the profile I just want players who can play, thats our whole problem we are going after profile players and half of those player suck.

I want players taht can play and not just someone who fits that damn stupid profile of DV's.

How soon we forget the nightmare caused by the thugs Marty brought in towards the end of his reign here. :shake: Me, I don't want those days back. UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES. The truth is we should be astute enough to find the "profile" players who are also talented and a match for our system. That condition will only make it more difficult,... not impossible. I bet, down the road, we will recall Priest, Tony-G, Green, Shields etc., as our Chiefs rather than the one-year-wonder cancers that Marty brought in. With thugs, you might win for a season or two, then you have to take years to cure the cancer and recover. With quality "profile" players as team nucleus, you are always either great or at a short hopeful distance from it.

Frankie
12-31-2004, 08:06 AM
Chester, Marcus Allen, etc...
FAs... Not traded.