PDA

View Full Version : Time to play for draft position!!

morphius
11-17-2000, 10:17 AM
I know this idea is reprehensible to many, but I'd like to see KC tank the season at this point. The playoffs are nothing more than a pipe dream IMO. I don't mean intentionally throwing games, but I DO mean "experimenting" with the lineup and the coaching staff.

1. Fire Kurt and give Shaw the reigns in the interim, provided that he scrap the soft zone, and make sure that our #1 CB is ALWAYS covering the opponent's #1 WR.

2. Make Greg Manusky our special teams coach for the rest of the season.

3. Start Willis and Alford in place of Grunhard and Shields for the rest of the season. I would've suggested Spears in place of Riley, but the thought of Riley with all that time off scares me. He'd show up at training camp weighing 450lbs.

4. Make the starting WRs Morris and Parker, with Ricks coming in as the 3rd WR.

5. Start Troy Drayton. IMO it's silly to risk an injury to a key guy like Gonzo or DA while playing on special teams, not to mention driving up their value as a player by letting them pile up stats while the team is losing.

6. Play Atkins at OLB, Maz in the middle. Sorry, Patton...hope you enjoy retirement.

7. Start Martin and Ransom at DT, give Word some serious time at DE.

8. Last, but certainly not least, give the ball to Frank Moreau 30 TIMES per game, regardless of the score.

At least then Carl would know if he needs to draft a RB with his EXCEPTIONALLY HIGH DRAFT PICK!!

Bwana
11-17-2000, 10:21 AM
Clint

That is about as undesirable as it gets. I don't believe you have to do all that to get the draft pick you want. At their current pace, it is reasonable that they can give you what you want with the starting lineup http://63.249.247.210/ubb/wink.gif

Idahojim
11-17-2000, 10:25 AM
UNBELIEVABLE...... http://63.249.247.210/ubb/confused.gif

BroncoFan
11-17-2000, 10:32 AM
Ditto to reply 1&2

#1 ok
#2 A good player, but that don't make him a coach!!!
#3 good way to get your QB hurt, Besides I would never sideline Grunny, he one of the leaders of this team
#4 Your afraid to get DA hurt yet you start SLY??? makes NO SENSE!
#5 Good idea, but you don't bench players for 1/2 a seson and not expect repercussions.
#6 Dump Patton?? Duh why not rotate?
#7 ok
#8 Definatly, I have been saying that all along.<P>

rkucera
11-17-2000, 10:33 AM
We've already screwed up our draft position by winning 5 games. 5-11 will probably draft close to 10.

Gaz
11-17-2000, 10:45 AM
Clint,
#1 - That is what Shaw does (according to jq who should know having watched his defenses for so long).
#2 - OK
#3 - Riley has played well this year, and had no weight problems in this years TC.
#4 - Play Ricks if you have to, I don't think Parker is going to be any good.
#5 - huh?
#6 - Patton is still a good player IMO.
#7 - OK, but Word is gone, and we have a couple of decent DEs
#8 - Give anyone the ball 30X a game.

<BR>

Gaz
The only good thing that could come out of that would be a probable firing of the entire coaching staff. Otherwise, we'd put ourselves in a good drafting position, and have to rely on our scouting teams to draft us a good RB (presuming that is what we would go for). Would we succeed? History indicates otherwise. Not only that, but our cap-strapped team would have to accomodate a huge rookie salary commensurate with an Edgerrin James. We have an equal chance of picking up a good player drafting 15-20 (Gonzo, Morris etc.) as we would picking #5 IMO.

You could argue that we'd get an easier schedule, but in this age of parity that means nothing. Last season Oakland had a bear of a schedule that turned out be much easier than it looked. On the flip side, Denver had a much easier looking one, and it turned out that they faced 16 teams with .500 or better records (although they contributed a lot to that http://63.249.247.210/ubb/tongue.gif).

Of course, the humiliation of tanking a season would have a terrible effect on any team IMO. As someone said on another thread, "success breeds success". We need to turn this thing around starting NOW, not by relying on a $50m rookie running back who would more likely be a KiJana Carter than an Edgerrin James.

After all that, I am sure you were talking TIC http://63.249.247.210/ubb/wink.gif

[This message has been edited by Cormac (edited 11-17-2000).]

DoktorSmith
1. No. If we agree that we hate the soft zone, why turn the DC reins over to a guy who historically played the soft zone? If you are going to make a change now, Gunther should take over as DC, not Shaw.
2. Agreed.
3. I like the idea of giving these guys some live fire time. And with the injuries to Shields and Grunhard, this may be necessary, but I don't make them the starters if Shields or Grunhard is up to speed.
4. No. Morris and Alexander should be #1 & #2, respectively. Ricks should be #3 in order to show us what he's got.
5. No. This is such a silly idea I don't even need to comment.
6. I like Maslowski at MLB. I like Edwards at OLB. I would be willing to give Atkins a shot, but I think Patton still has some game in him. Bush was a gamble that did not pay off.
7. I would keep Browning in the rotation.
8. Moreau or Cloud should become the every down back and should bet a minimum of 20 carries per game UNLESS the Defense starts stacking the line again. In that case it is bombs away!

xoxo~
gaz
likes a few of these ideas.<BR>

morphius
11-17-2000, 10:46 AM
I knew my opinion wouldn't be popular!

DoktorSmith
11-17-2000, 10:48 AM
Clint-

Is it ever?

xoxo~
gaz
sees a pattern here.

BroncoFan
11-17-2000, 10:50 AM
Clint,
Not so much unpopular, as not all completly in the best interists of the team. Some of them are good Ideas, but some are just really silly http://63.249.247.210/ubb/biggrin.gif

IMO

Dave Lane
11-17-2000, 10:57 AM
There's no way in heck that the Chiefs are going to go in the tank for the rest of the season. Our schedule is too easy the rest of the way for us not to win at least 3 of the remaining 6 games. We have no shot of getting a top 10 draft pick so we might as well try & run the table.

------------------
It looks I picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue!

Warrior5
11-17-2000, 11:01 AM
WHAT?!? http://63.249.247.210/ubb/confused.gif

1. With Shaw comes the soft zone, that's just what you get. But, can it be worse than what we got w/ Kurt...NO!! #1 CB on #1 WR, I'm all for that!

2. Didn't we JUST get rid of that guy? And you want him back? NO THANKS!!!

3. Willis mainstay at LG, benching Blackshear permanantly, YES!! Use Alford as #1 backup, but you don't bench Shields IF he's healthy.

4. This has got to be the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard from you!! Bench DA? What the F***?!?

5. OK, THIS is definitely the most ridiculous idea I've ever heard from you!!

6. This I'm SOMEWHAT ok with, though we'll soon see that Atkins just doesn't have the size to do it. Play Stills instead, let's see what this guy has before we decide to cut him.

7. Martin and Ransom, OK while Browning can get time at DE, otherwise rotate them at one spot while JB plays DT. Word? Have you not been payin attention, or what?

8. I'd personally prefer TRich get 30 touches/game(moving Bennett to FB FULLTIME), but Frank is my 2nd choice.

Oh, and BTW, NEVER, EVER tank any game!!!

------------------
ct

[b]Give TRich the Ball!!!
And a Trip to Hawaii!!!</B>

Moon§hiner
11-17-2000, 11:04 AM
The way the team is playing, we don't need an elaborate plan to tank the rest of this season. It will just come naturally.

morphius
11-17-2000, 11:07 AM
All right, all right! I did go a little overboard with the WR situation, but I really would like to see what these other guys can do, rather than maintain the staus quo and end up at 8-8, anyway.

I didn't know Word was gone. I'm a little disappointed & surprised that he hasn't been brought back after all the DL injury problems.

Idahojim
11-17-2000, 11:22 AM
Clint

I've got you figured out,you and Gunther are going to post this in the locker room for motivation! GREAT PLAN! http://63.249.247.210/ubb/smile.gif http://63.249.247.210/ubb/tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by ROYC75 (edited 11-17-2000).]

[This message has been edited by ROYC75 (edited 11-17-2000).]

Pitt Gorilla
11-17-2000, 05:06 PM
I think 9-7 is still possible so DON"T TANK unless of course you do it not on purpose (?).
9-7 could quite possibly be a play-off spot although it's far too early to tell. Playing all those bench warmers does nothing to the morale of the team or to make an plausible assessment of Gunther & Co.

redbrian
11-17-2000, 05:16 PM
Forget about the playoffs man.

You're only setting yourself up for a big let down.

This team has no shot at winning a playoff game.

We need the 5-11 record to get the higher picks in every round, not just the first.

Although, with Peterson at the helm making the selections, higher picks might not matter that much anyway.

morphius
11-19-2000, 03:31 PM
Ignore #3 and #4, but after today I'm still looking ahead to the draft.

Vortex Dweller
11-19-2000, 05:39 PM
It really doesnt matter what round we get, Carl will mess with his contract and his agent like he does every year,dragging out camp with no 1st rounder there.