PDA

View Full Version : HD-DVD's. Why do we need to buy the same dvds again. Is this a ripoff ? I think so

warpaint99
01-01-2005, 03:58 PM
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1733115,00.asp

With the new High Definition DVDs coming out , Why the hell do we have to pay full price for the same movies that our in our collections ? You payed for the movie already !!!!!!!!! If you bought a regular DVD then you should get a FRICKING DISCOUNT !!!! Or Tell them you want a trade-in.

Don't you agree ?

These studios will rip you if you don't fight . Look at the way the music labels conspired on cd prices.

Miles
01-01-2005, 04:15 PM
Yeah new technology sucks like that. :spock:

Deberg_1990
01-01-2005, 04:20 PM
http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1733115,00.asp

With the new High Definition DVDs coming out , Why the hell do we have to pay full price for the same movies that our in our collections ? You payed for the movie already !!!!!!!!! If you bought a regular DVD then you should get a FRICKING DISCOUNT !!!! Or Tell them you want a trade-in.

Don't you agree ?

These studios will rip you if you don't fight . Look at the way the music labels conspired on cd prices.

Didnt you do the same thing when you converted from VHS to DVD? Ive done it twice now from VHS, to LaserDisc to DVD. Ive re-bought several movies i used to own on VHS. You right, the studios will always look for new ways to make a buck, but the fact is, you dont have to buy into if you dont want to? Its your choice to re-buy the same movies.

|Zach|
01-01-2005, 04:37 PM
If you do not like it then do not buy them.

RaiderCorporate
01-01-2005, 04:51 PM

Don't you agree ?

Although it was a bad thing, price-fixing collusion is a different subject. The product (in this case HD DVD) is "new and improved" and you have the choice to buy or not buy the product.

If you were to accidentally destroy your CD or DVD would you expect to buy a replacement or improvement at discount because you already own a copy???

warpaint99
01-01-2005, 04:54 PM
Didnt you do the same thing when you converted from VHS to DVD? Ive done it twice now from VHS, to LaserDisc to DVD. Ive re-bought several movies i used to own on VHS. You right, the studios will always look for new ways to make a buck, but the fact is, you dont have to buy into if you dont want to? Its your choice to re-buy the same movies.

DON'T BUY DVD RECORDERS PEOPLE. Expensive and soon to be outdated ! Use the one that comes with your computer. Wait for the HDs.

cdcox
01-01-2005, 04:55 PM
Current DVD's have excellent picture quality with a Progressive scan DVD player and a good HD monitor. I don't see any need to upgrade.

Deberg_1990
01-01-2005, 05:00 PM
Current DVD's have excellent picture quality with a Progressive scan DVD player and a good HD monitor. I don't see any need to upgrade.

Exactly, what he said.

|Zach|
01-01-2005, 05:09 PM
Although it was a bad thing, price-fixing collusion is a different subject. The product (in this case HD DVD) is "new and improved" and you have the choice to buy or not buy the product.

If you were to accidentally destroy your CD or DVD would you expect to buy a replacement or improvement at discount because you already own a copy???
This makes way to much sense. And it goes against this user's constant idea that he\she is getting screwed by everyone else all the time.

Baby Lee
01-01-2005, 05:55 PM
I've bought a 286, 386, 486, AMD X86, P-200, PII-900 and PIV-2.4Ghz in the past 15 years.

DVD is enough better than VHS, and HD-DVD enough better than DVD to merit a similar upgrade path.

Thig Lyfe
01-01-2005, 06:10 PM

LaserDisc!!?!?!

ROFL

Baby Lee
01-01-2005, 06:11 PM
LaserDisc!!?!?!

ROFL
LD was head and shoulders above anything else you could get in your home for a LOOOONG time.

Deberg_1990
01-01-2005, 06:14 PM
LaserDisc!!?!?!

ROFL

Yep, i still have about 25 of them or so. LaserDisc was actually a precursor to DVD. They brought about letterboxing, digital sound, special features, directors commentary, etc... long before DVD did. The picture quality was head and shoulders above VHS for the time, but pales in comparison to DVD's of today.

Thig Lyfe
01-01-2005, 06:16 PM
LaserDisc must not have ever gotten that big.

Deberg_1990
01-01-2005, 06:20 PM

Nope, it never did. It was a collectors medium at best. The problem was, they never sold LaserDisc at "sell through" prices like DVD has become. I remember i paid around $100 for "Aliens" and "Abyss" Special Editions back in like 1991 or 1992.

Baby Lee
01-01-2005, 06:20 PM
No, it was bulky and expensive. More for the early HT types, with the front projectors and dedicated rooms. Or the technophiles.

Much like SACD today, or the continued market for high quality vinyl.

Except SACD isn't all that expensive, just hard to market to today's MP3ed out masses. Kind of hard to tell the difference between decent and amazing from a cheap-o endcap setup in the middle of a bustling megastore.

htismaqe
01-01-2005, 09:16 PM
Sometimes the upgrade is worth it.

In this case, it's not. The difference between 480p DVD's and 1080i DVD's is negligble, at least to my eyes...

Frazod
01-01-2005, 10:28 PM
I have 300 DVDs - many of which are replacements of VHS tapes. I mainly did this because I knew the tapes would eventually degrade. The DVDs won't.

I'm not replacing 300 f#cking DVDs. No way in hell.

Logical
01-01-2005, 10:34 PM
Sometimes the upgrade is worth it.

In this case, it's not. The difference between 480p DVD's and 1080i DVD's is negligble, at least to my eyes...

That would be my thought as well. I really do not see enough difference between HDTV for the price differential. Some day if the price drops to a negligible difference and there is no extra fee I may buy in. Hell I can afford the difference it is just not that significant to me.

Deberg_1990
01-01-2005, 11:12 PM
I have 300 DVDs - many of which are replacements of VHS tapes. I mainly did this because I knew the tapes would eventually degrade. The DVDs won't.

I'm not replacing 300 f#cking DVDs. No way in hell.

therin lies the challange of trying to get people to convert and buy into the new HD DVD stuff...

2bikemike
01-01-2005, 11:17 PM
I've bought a 286, 386, 486, AMD X86, P-200, PII-900 and PIV-2.4Ghz in the past 15 years.

DVD is enough better than VHS, and HD-DVD enough better than DVD to merit a similar upgrade path.

You don't skip many generations of computers do you?

Logical
01-02-2005, 12:23 AM
You don't skip many generations of computers do you?LOL I was thinking it but did not say it.