PDA

View Full Version : Players in Denial

BigRedChief
01-03-2005, 11:45 PM
I was watching Frank Boal's newscast and he had quotes from Kinnison "We have all the tools we need. We don't need to bring anyone in here" and Gary Stills "We have the players in place. We know what needs to be done, we just didn't get it done this year. Next year we will."

Are these guys blind? Just PR for the press? I sure hope its all just pr and they are not that stupid. :hmmm:

go bowe
01-03-2005, 11:47 PM
denial is a reasonable description...

quite reasonable, in fact... :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Phobia
01-03-2005, 11:55 PM
They're not blind. They're just repeating what they always hear right before hug time.

go bowe
01-03-2005, 11:58 PM
They're not blind. They're just repeating what they always hear right before hug time.:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

unfortunately, you're probably right... :deevee: :deevee: :deevee:

SNR
01-03-2005, 11:58 PM
This reminds me of that Bugs Bunny cartoon where Bugs is taken to the hideout of two gangsters. The conversation Bugs has between himself to fool the gangsters:

"He's not in the oven!"
"Oh... he's hiding in the oven, eh?"
"If he was in the oven, would I turn on the gas?"
"You might, rabbit, you might."
"If he was in the oven, would I throw a lighted match in there?"
"You might, rabbit, you might."

It's like the players are throwing lighted matches into the oven that is the entire Chiefs team themselves just to try and fool the skeptics.

BigChiefFan
01-03-2005, 11:59 PM
Vermeil is in denial, so the players have picked it up. Stills needs to keep his mouth shut because he sucked ass on defense and I hope he's kicked to the curb. The whole damn organization is in denial and it's pathetic. Nothing wrong with being supportive, but these guys need to wake the **** up. This huggy-feel-good crap has got to stop. This is FOOTBALL, not knitting class. I'm so tired of everything is going to be okay fellas, just keep trying. Hold players RESPONSIBLE, Vermeil. I'm beginning to think the man has lost it and he isn't doing them any favors by giving them a free pass on defense. Accountability is key.

tk13
01-04-2005, 12:04 AM
I know I'm in a very, very small minority on this, but none of that stuff really bothers me. That's good, I don't want a single guy on the roster to think he's not good enough or that the team sucks, when that happens you end up with Johnnie Morton and Julian Battle... is that really what everybody wants? I'd rather have every single player think they are good enough and have the coaches make the decision on who is really good enough to make the team.

That said, I don't believe for a second that there are many players on the offense who actually believe the defense is good enough, but there is no reason to even try and start a rift and say something stupid that will turn into some media drama...

|Zach|
01-04-2005, 12:05 AM
I know I'm in a very, very small minority on this, but none of that stuff really bothers me. That's good, I don't want a single guy on the roster to think he's not good enough, when they don't think they're worthy you end up with a guy like Julian Battle... I'd rather have every single player think they are good enough and have the coaches make the decision on who is really good enough to make the team.

That said, I don't believe for a second that there are many players on the offense who actually believe the defense is good enough, but there is no reason to even try and start a rift and say something stupid that will turn into some media drama...
I agree with this...I am still suprised that people take what is said in things of this nature as the gospel as to what happens behind the scenes.

BigChiefFan
01-04-2005, 12:08 AM
I know I'm in a very, very small minority on this, but none of that stuff really bothers me. That's good, I don't want a single guy on the roster to think he's not good enough, when they don't think they're worthy you end up with a guy like Julian Battle... I'd rather have every single player think they are good enough and have the coaches make the decision on who is really good enough to make the team.

Good points. I know they can't come out and say they suck, but they sounded as if they were so close and just took a few bad breaks. The defense isn't anywhere near being close with the current regime. I agree, they can only say so much, but it does seem like a lovefest anymore.

The Bad Guy
01-04-2005, 12:10 AM
If I'm a player on this offense, I'm done pampering the god damn defense with positive PR quotes.

Everyone wants to tip-toe around the defenses fragile ego.

Why?

The ass-kissing Vermeil way doesn't work with this defense. The commish of the NFL making fun of this defense didn't work either. They have no pride, no sack and are basically just robbing a paycheck every week.

I wish someone from the offense would tell it how it is.

It would be refreshing.

PastorMikH
01-04-2005, 12:33 AM
don't believe for a second that there are many players on the offense who actually believe the defense is good enough, but there is no reason to even try and start a rift and say something stupid that will turn into some media drama...

You know, it does surprise me that there hasn't been hard feelings expressed publicly from the O players concerning the D. I would think that after 3 years of carrying the team while the other unit shoots you in the foot, someone on the O would get sick of it. They are always so professional in interviews and such saying it was a team loss and such. I wonder if behind the scenes DV is pulling just the O behind closed doors and talking to them to keep them from going off on the D.

Demonpenz
01-04-2005, 12:35 AM
You know, it does surprise me that there hasn't been hard feelings expressed publicly from the O players concerning the D. I would think that after 3 years of carrying the team while the other unit shoots you in the foot, someone on the O would get sick of it. They are always so professional in interviews and such saying it was a team loss and such. I wonder if behind the scenes DV is pulling just the O behind closed doors and talking to them to keep them from going off on the D.

DV is probably telling them that telling the D they suck is a sure fire way to make their beautiful children cry, and how they don't need such good families upset like that.

2bikemike
01-04-2005, 01:13 AM
I think players realize they might just be the ones gone next year. Very few people are safe. So what are they supposed to say? " I suck so replace me"!

SNR
01-04-2005, 01:19 AM
I think players realize they might just be the ones gone next year. Very few people are safe. So what are they supposed to say? " I suck so replace me"!The best thing to say from Stills would've been something like, "It's not my job to decide who has a spot on this team and who doesn't. I'll let the front office do what they have in mind to make this football team the best it can be" or something like that.

royr17
01-04-2005, 01:40 AM
All I know is that we better get us some defensive players this year or I am going to throw up every time we get torched next season !!!!!!!

Spicy McHaggis
01-04-2005, 01:49 AM
All I know is that we better get us some defensive players this year or I am going to throw up every time we get torched next season !!!!!!!

At least you'll keep your figure that way.

J Diddy
01-04-2005, 02:12 AM

Or they have will shields and tony g talking about the good ol days when 150 yds rushing and 100 yds passing was the norm. (ya know when the d carried them)

Rausch
01-04-2005, 03:23 AM
You don't tear down your teammates because you never know who'll be here next year and who won't...

Rausch
01-04-2005, 03:25 AM
The best thing to say from Stills would've been something like, "It's not my job to decide who has a spot on this team and who doesn't. I'll let the front office do what they have in mind to make this football team the best it can be" or something like that.

I'm still amazed we tried Stills (a former S) at DE before LB... :hmmm:

royr17
01-04-2005, 04:34 AM
Why dont we move Stills back to OLB, I mean the guy is not big enough for a Defensive End, maybe some how they could get Gun to use him like he did with Derrick.

morphius
01-04-2005, 07:25 AM
Most of the guys on this team are not going to name names. I mean they can't even get the supposed cancer LJ to say anything bad about Blaylock. I have no idea what some of you people are realy expecting, these people have to basically live together all season and you don't want to list someone who should be cut and then have them make the team next year. Can we use just a little bit of common sense around here once in a while.

KCFANinNC
01-04-2005, 07:37 AM
I wish someone from the offense would tell it how it is.

It would be refreshing.

Who? Like the commisioner???

KCTitus
01-04-2005, 07:45 AM
Most of the guys on this team are not going to name names. I mean they can't even get the supposed cancer LJ to say anything bad about Blaylock. I have no idea what some of you people are realy expecting, these people have to basically live together all season and you don't want to list someone who should be cut and then have them make the team next year. Can we use just a little bit of common sense around here once in a while.

What are you, some kind of moron?

htismaqe
01-04-2005, 08:29 AM
The best thing to say from Stills would've been something like, "It's not my job to decide who has a spot on this team and who doesn't. I'll let the front office do what they have in mind to make this football team the best it can be" or something like that.

Eric Hicks said that, plus some other things, and it was a media circus for a month.

morphius
01-04-2005, 08:33 AM
What are you, some kind of moron?
LOL! I know, I know. I didn't expect to see it, just needed to say it.

MOhillbilly
01-04-2005, 08:47 AM
sounds like they are useing the Jedi mind trick.

Oxford
01-04-2005, 09:01 AM
This is called circling the wagons. They players know who doesn't care, or who doesn't have a clue etc etc. But it is not their place to backstab and my bet is the first one who starts will be gone. Players play, coaches coach, front office hire and fire and fans know everything. And that's the way it is.........

Rain Man
01-04-2005, 09:33 AM
I'm sure it's been mentioned before, but no football player is going to say, "We need a bunch of new football players in here." It's job security.

On a related note, that's another reason why I think these theories about "let's tank the season so we can get a higher draft pick" are ludicrous. Why would the players tank a game so that they can compete against a high draft pick in the next training camp?