PDA

View Full Version : How to dismantle an abhorrent D

JakeT
01-04-2005, 09:30 AM
Rebuilding this D is going to be tough but here's a plan I'd like to get some feedback on for the Chiefs...

It all starts with leadership and there is none on this D. When its 3rd and 9 who's yelling in the huddle to fire them up ala Ray Lewis my guess in no one. I think the Chiefs need to send a message by getting rid of all the 'seasoned' veterans and starting over.

So... Starting from Back to front

Shop Jerome Woods - his play has really gone south ..see if we can trade him for anything, a bag of practice ball or maybe even some gatorade.

Keep Wesley

Safety Summary: Harts can replace Woods with little to no drop off. Give Bartee and Battle a shot a safety. Worse case scenario starters for 2005 are Wesley and Harts.

Trade Warfield -- we should be able to get at least a second round pick for this guy. This is his 7th year in the league he still doesn't have solid corner back technique. He is soft he get beat up by wide receivers, gambles too much and gives up way more big plays then he come up with.

Let Bartee, McCleon, and Battle fight it out for nickle back

CB Summary

Priority #2 sign a big name free agent to start at one corner. See if a another good deal FA falls in our lap.
Use our 1st round pick to sign the best available CB -- get him signed early and get him to camp.

Worse case scenario starters are Big name FA and Rookie (many rookies if given the opportunity can do this as well as Bartee and Warfield are currently)

LB

Shop Barber cut or trade him if we can. This guy is average at best and better suited to the read and react crap that hopefully we will never see again in KC.

Priority #1 sign a free agent Leader. Someone who can understand the scheme and not be afraid to yell at guys when they mess up. Move Mitchell to OLB.
Worst Case start Mitchell, FA, Fujita. See if anyone (Fox) or a rookie can emerge to challenge Fujita or Mitchell.

DL Cut Hicks.

See if we can get another DE in FA or in the draft. Pray the rest of the line can develop (Simms, Siavii). With Allen coming on and Browning and Dalton solid at times we should be okay here.

Get rid of the Veterans that are killing us to send a message:

And I almost forget -- suit up GAZ.

Let the ripping commence

Dr. Facebook Fever
01-04-2005, 09:33 AM
I had to stop reading when you said get rid of Warfield but keep Bartee....

:shake:

htismaqe
01-04-2005, 09:34 AM
I'd rather see Pile than Harts, but personally I think we should look for a starting FS in the draft or free agency.

Trading Warfield is just dumb. We'll get nothing for him - maybe a 4th or 4th rounder - definitely NOT a 2nd. Finding a #1 CB in free agency should be one of our top offseason priorities. I agree with that. I wouldn't necessarily spend our 1st rounder on a CB - it depends on who is available. It's quite possible that a stud LB or DE will be available when we pick.

Just say NO to moving Mitchell to OLB.

blsilks
01-04-2005, 09:36 AM
I say fire the whole team and rebuild from the Free Agency market. It works on Madden 2005 all the time.

HC_Chief
01-04-2005, 09:37 AM
Trade Warfield
For what? No one in their right mind would trade for a starting CB from the league's WORST pass-defense three-years running. It becomes doubly apparent that he's untradeable when you consider the outrageous salary he commands AND the fact that he will be serving a FOUR GAME SUSPENSION next season.

Let Bartee, McCleon, and Battle fight it out for nickle back
The only thing this crop of losers should be fighting for is position in the unemployment line.

Shop Barber cut or trade him if we can.
Again, untradeable. Old, slow, blown-out knee. Hmmm, wonder if B'More would give us Ray Lewis in trade? :hmmm:

Move Mitchell to OLB
Not only NO, but HELL NO. He's too slow & out of position for MLB... he'd be a HUGE detriment at OLB where you need speed and coverage. Mitchell = BACKUP and ST at best.

The rest of it sounds pretty good to me. The _efense needs an enema. We MUST add at least 2 CBs, 2LBs, and a RDE. That's minimum. In combination with the personnel moves, we need to fire all secondary coaches... let Gunther bring in whomever he wishes. LB coaches can go as well. TOTAL OVERHAUL.

htismaqe
01-04-2005, 09:37 AM
I say fire the whole team and rebuild from the Free Agency market. It works on Madden 2005 all the time.

:thumb:

If only that were an option. I honestly don't see ONE guy on that defense that I would call a definite "keeper".

Fried Meat Ball!
01-04-2005, 09:50 AM

If only that were an option. I honestly don't see ONE guy on that defense that I would call a definite "keeper".
Oh, come on... I'd keep Allen, Pile, Sapp, Wesley (I think this year was an aberration), Dalton (he’s playing well in KC), and Browning. Now given the choice between Kearse, Wesley or Woods from five years ago, James Hasty in his prime, and Warren Sapp in his prime I’d take them over the guys I just mentioned. But those young guys have potential.

Allen, let’s hope he’s not a one-year wonder. Pile and Sapp show playmaking ability. And as I stated, I think this year was an aberration for Wesley… I think he’ll return to hard-hitting form next season. And Dalton’s found a home here. Browning is always solid.

blsilks
01-04-2005, 09:52 AM

Well I think Siavi is a keeper and thats because I think we can have him playing at 400+ pounds.

Stinger
01-04-2005, 10:04 AM
How to dismantle an abhorrent D

Firing Squad? :shrug:

Fried Meat Ball!
01-04-2005, 10:34 AM
Well I think Siavi is a keeper and thats because I think we can have him playing at 400+ pounds.
I'd probably agree Siavii is a keeper... but not at 400 lbs. Maybe 370... huge, yes... 400 would be fat, though.

JakeT
01-04-2005, 11:42 AM
I think we should axe warfield as a statement we obviously can't cut everyone like I want to -- but at least Bartee hits people -- Warfield is soft, and has off field issues.

Dave Lane
01-04-2005, 11:47 AM
Really the only problem we have on defense is execution.

Dave

And I'm all for it.

ChiefsFanatik88
01-04-2005, 12:39 PM
AND the fact that he will be serving a FOUR GAME SUSPENSION next season.

Huh??

ChiTown
01-04-2005, 12:41 PM
Huh??

Fo his 3rd or 4th DUI conviction.......

HC_Chief
Huh??

Violation of the NFL substance policy.
D U I (3rd one?)

HC_Chief
Damn, quickdraw....

ChiTown
01-04-2005, 12:42 PM
Damn, quickdraw....

Don't **** with me today, I'm on a hater's roll..... :)

Calcountry
01-04-2005, 03:22 PM

:shake:
Yes, Bartee shouldn't be allowed anywhere anything that remotely resembles a grid iron.

Calcountry
01-04-2005, 03:23 PM
Really the only problem we have on defense is execution.

Dave

And I'm all for it.
WE should admit our mistake, ask GROB for forgiveness, and resign everyone. They just need one more chance.

Dave Lane
01-04-2005, 03:29 PM
WE should admit our mistake, ask GROB for forgiveness, and resign everyone. They just need one more chance.

Actually I'm all for the execution of our entire defense thats the execution I'm looking for.

Dave

Chiefs Pantalones
01-04-2005, 03:35 PM
I say we trade our whole draft and some chips to the Redskins for their whole defense.

Frankie
01-04-2005, 04:28 PM
I'd rather see Pile than Harts, but personally I think we should look for a starting FS in the draft or free agency.

Trading Warfield is just dumb. We'll get nothing for him - maybe a 4th or 4th rounder - definitely NOT a 2nd. Finding a #1 CB in free agency should be one of our top offseason priorities. I agree with that. I wouldn't necessarily spend our 1st rounder on a CB - it depends on who is available. It's quite possible that a stud LB or DE will be available when we pick.

Just say NO to moving Mitchell to OLB.

I agree with almost all of your post here. Except, I think the one position on the 'D' we can do temporary patchwork to tie us over till the next year, is safety. Among Harts, Pile, Bartee and Battle we should be able to find a couple that's at least Ok for 2005. We really need to concentrate on LB, CB and DE.

SNR
01-04-2005, 06:30 PM
Warfield is our only CB who knows how to cover people. And that's the fuggin CB's job! :cuss:

I hope we bring in a decent FA CB and demote him to #2 CB where he belongs. He's a decent #2, not a #1. That's his only problem is he's forced into being our #1 guy. I think he'd do real well at #2.

Cntrygal
01-04-2005, 08:06 PM
You could have Bledsoe.... after 3 quarters of 3 and outs, the D needs to lay down and rest.

go bowe
01-04-2005, 08:53 PM

:shake::thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

2bikemike
01-04-2005, 09:04 PM
Yes, Bartee shouldn't be allowed anywhere anything that remotely resembles a grid iron.

I wouldn't even let Bartee around my waffle Iron!

htismaqe
01-05-2005, 08:09 AM
I agree with almost all of your post here. Except, I think the one position on the 'D' we can do temporary patchwork to tie us over till the next year, is safety. Among Harts, Pile, Bartee and Battle we should be able to find a couple that's at least Ok for 2005. We really need to concentrate on LB, CB and DE.

It doesn't matter.

After hearing King Carl yesterday, I'm convinced the starter at FS will be Woods...

ILChief
01-05-2005, 12:07 PM
S - Greg Wesley, Shaunard Harts/Pile
CB - Carlos Rogers/Marlin Jackson, Eric Warfield
LB - Scott Fujita, Ed Hartwell/Kendrell Bell/Rob Morris, Tommy Polley/Will Witherspoon/Rian Wallace
DE - Jared Allen, Marcus Spears/Justin Tuck
DT - Sims, Dalton, Siavii

We should be able to do most of this.

If we draft Marlin Jackson(CB) in round one, Tuck should be there in rd 2.

If we draft Spears in round one, Carlos Rodgers should be there in rd 2.

Need a MLB and Hartwell, Bell, and Morris are all FA.

Polley and Will Witherspoon are FAs according to the last list I saw.

Rian Wallace declared for the draft and could be taken if everything doesn't fall into place.

Could also use a FA safety if there's enough $$$ left..

DO IT CARL!!!!!!!!!

htismaqe
01-05-2005, 12:16 PM
S - Greg Wesley, Shaunard Harts/Pile
CB - Carlos Rogers/Marlin Jackson, Eric Warfield
LB - Scott Fujita, Ed Hartwell/Kendrell Bell/Rob Morris, Tommy Polley/Will Witherspoon/Rian Wallace
DE - Jared Allen, Marcus Spears/Justin Tuck
DT - Sims, Dalton, Siavii

We should be able to do most of this.

If we draft Marlin Jackson(CB) in round one, Tuck should be there in rd 2.

If we draft Spears in round one, Carlos Rodgers should be there in rd 2.

Need a MLB and Hartwell, Bell, and Morris are all FA.

Polley and Will Witherspoon are FAs according to the last list I saw.

Rian Wallace declared for the draft and could be taken if everything doesn't fall into place.

Could also use a FA safety if there's enough $$$ left..

DO IT CARL!!!!!!!!!

Depending on the status of Spears' bicep injury, it could be him that falls to the 2nd. Either way, I see Carlos Rogers going in the last 1st round...