PDA

View Full Version : Maine-June vacation plans?

WEIRDWOLF
01-04-2005, 02:23 PM
Anybody on this board been to Maine for vacation?
If so-Do you have any tips for what to see and where to go.

Phobia
01-04-2005, 02:24 PM
There's only one thing to do in Maine on vacation. Eat lobster.

WEIRDWOLF
01-04-2005, 02:28 PM
There's only one thing to do in Maine on vacation. Eat lobster.
And you would know this because....??

Phobia
01-04-2005, 02:31 PM
Because Lobster tastes really good.

dirk digler
01-04-2005, 02:31 PM
I went to Maine 2 years ago and loved it. We spent a few days in Boston and then traveled up the seaboard to Maine. We went white water rafting on the Kennebec River. It was awesome. The weather is great in the summer time.

WEIRDWOLF
01-04-2005, 02:33 PM
Lobster would be nothing without the cow (butter)!

Saulbadguy
01-04-2005, 02:51 PM
Lobsters are cheap and plentiful in Maine.

stevieray
01-04-2005, 03:03 PM
Look up Stephen King.

In costume.

dirk digler
01-04-2005, 03:05 PM
Lobsters are cheap and plentiful in Maine.

Semi true. We ate at a couple of Lobster Shacks and the lobster was around $17 a piece.

FloridaChief
01-04-2005, 03:24 PM
My ex-wife lives in Maine. If you see her, could you kindly beat her with a nail-studded baseball bat for me? Thanks...

Alton deFlat
01-04-2005, 03:31 PM
Go see Portland Head Lighthouse (http://portlandme.about.com/cs/mainelighthouses/a/PortlandLight.htm)

Chiefnj
01-04-2005, 03:38 PM
If you are going to be inland bring fly repellent.

Otter
01-04-2005, 03:56 PM
If you're in the mood for a friendly quaint Maine atmosphere with a concentration of outdoor activities I recommend Bar Harbor Maine. Itís just outside (15 minute drive) Acadia National Forest.

Acadia is one of the most beautiful places on earth and neither the town nor Acadia is swamped with tourists no matter what time of year you go.

Below is a link to get you started if you're interested in looking into the matter further. Oh yeah, you'll get the best lobster and clam chowder you've ever eaten in your life.

Any questions about which hotels or pubs are better than others send me a PM. Been there 4x in the past 5 years.

http://www.barharbormaine.com/

Predarat
01-04-2005, 03:56 PM
The funnest thing to do in Maine is to look at trees. If you are going there for vacation find the strongest alcohol you can and drink plenty of it!!!!

HC_Chief
01-04-2005, 03:57 PM
mmmmmmmmm, lobster :drool:

Otter
01-04-2005, 04:04 PM
The funnest thing to do in Maine is to look at trees. If you are going there for vacation find the strongest alcohol you can and drink plenty of it!!!!

Actually there's plenty to do if you're into outdoor activities like mountain biking, kayaking, fly fishing, back packing, sailing, deep sea fishing...

Wear yourself out during the day, go out and have a big lobster and steak dinner with 3 or 4 glasses of wine, walk on the beach, go back to the room and bump uglies and fall into a deep sleep.

badgirl
01-04-2005, 04:11 PM
I have been to Maine, its beautiful there, if I ever had enough money to move anywhere, it would be Maine, on the Ocean with a lighthouse. ahhhhh dreams, they can be nice :thumb:

dirk digler
01-04-2005, 04:30 PM
I have been to Maine, its beautiful there, if I ever had enough money to move anywhere, it would be Maine, on the Ocean with a lighthouse. ahhhhh dreams, they can be nice :thumb:

I loved Maine too, but I would only live there in the summer. Too damn cold and too much snow for me in the winter.

dirk digler
01-04-2005, 04:31 PM
If you're in the mood for a friendly quaint Maine atmosphere with a concentration of outdoor activities I recommend Bar Harbor Maine. Itís just outside (15 minute drive) Acadia National Forest.

Acadia is one of the most beautiful places on earth and neither the town nor Acadia is swamped with tourists no matter what time of year you go.

Below is a link to get you started if you're interested in looking into the matter further. Oh yeah, you'll get the best lobster and clam chowder you've ever eaten in your life.

Any questions about which hotels or pubs are better than others send me a PM. Been there 4x in the past 5 years.

Otter, so is Acadia is good as they say it is? When we went up there we never did get to make it there. I am hoping to go back there soon and would like to to there.

2bikemike
01-04-2005, 04:47 PM

Bar Harbor is pretty cool. We were there last year. We didn't have a lot of time there because we were on a tight time schedule. We did go to Acadia National park. I beleive they say that if you go to the summit it is the first place the sun kisses the continental U.S. as it rises. We took in both the sunset and sunrise from there. There are quite a few people up there doing that.

The seafood throughout Maine is first rate. Also there are several lighthouses to check out.

Otter
01-04-2005, 04:53 PM
Otter, so is Acadia is good as they say it is? When we went up there we never did get to make it there. I am hoping to go back there soon and would like to to there.

The scenery is absolutely amazing. There are trails that take you along the coastline where for miles to one side is a northeastern deciduous forest and to the other is the Atlantic Ocean with virtually no buffer in between them.

I always thought that was cool after being so used to the sandy beaches of New Jersey and Maryland.

The park was never overcrowded when I was there and they don't have overly strict regulations on fly fishing, kayaking, camping, backpacking and mountain biking like many places.

I was in Alaska last summer and minus the glaciers Acadia has it beat hands down.

Here's a pic gallery if you interested in looking:

http://www.acadiamagic.com/Photos05.html

WEIRDWOLF
01-04-2005, 06:48 PM
Thanks Otter!! I pm'd you with a bunch of questions.