PDA

View Full Version : So did Welbourn cost us a 3rd or a 4th in this years draft....

Coogs
01-04-2005, 05:46 PM
....to go along with the draft pick we gave up for him last season?

Traded Draft Picks...

Fourth Round

Philadelphia from Kansas City (OG John Welbourn/ could escalate to #3 if Welbourn plays 50% of Chiefs' snaps)

Demonpenz
01-04-2005, 05:46 PM
he was worth it I tell you that much. Best tackle we ever had

Coogs
01-04-2005, 05:50 PM
he was worth it I tell you that much. Best tackle we ever had

Demonpenz is an Eagles fan? Who knew? :shrug:

suds79
01-04-2005, 06:07 PM
Yeah you gotta love that trade.

Chris Bober & Jordan Black played it better. :banghead:

Saulbadguy
01-04-2005, 06:17 PM
He did not play 50% IIRC.

beavis
01-04-2005, 07:00 PM
I think most people thought it was a good trade at the time.

I'm sure there will be a ton crawling out of the woodwork now saying how they thought it was stupid.

Bowser
01-04-2005, 07:02 PM
He did not play 50% IIRC.

Therefore, he cost us a 5th rounder.

Coogs
01-04-2005, 07:46 PM
Therefore, he cost us a 5th rounder.

That was a 5th last year, AND, it is also a 4th this year that could escalate to a 3rd if he played 50% of the snaps. Not sure how the injury factors in, but I'm pretty sure he was in on more than 50% when healthy.

Miles
01-04-2005, 09:14 PM
I read last week on PFW that it would come down to the last game depending on the number of snaps against SD. Based on that its not looking good for the 3rd rounder.

Havent heard anything for sure though.

PastorMikH
01-04-2005, 09:50 PM
Pound for pound, play for play, he didn't cost us as much as John Tait cost the Bears.:)

Ultra Peanut
01-04-2005, 09:54 PM
It was a good trade... he's just not a very good player, is all.

Don't we have a decent stockpile of mid-round picks?

KevB
01-04-2005, 11:12 PM
He wasn't a world-beater, but he wasn't terrible. Clearly, he was trying to adjust to a new position and started to deal with injury. He's more productive than 90% of our other 3rd round picks in the CP era.

Rausch
01-04-2005, 11:14 PM
I think most people thought it was a good trade at the time.

I'm sure there will be a ton crawling out of the woodwork now saying how they thought it was stupid.

If Shields retires It'll become a pretty good trade real quick...

Valiant
01-04-2005, 11:15 PM
I thought it was a great trade.. him or 16mill a year for a player like tait??

It was a great pickup at the time...

Logical
01-04-2005, 11:31 PM
We get one good mid round player about every three years, because Carl is so putrid drafting. I would still say the trade was worth it. He unfortunately did not play very well, no where near as good as Tait.

Before someone says something about Tait's cost let me remind everyone that we could have franchise tagged him as a ROT for about 6.5 million with no signing bonus. We left about 6 million unused in cap space this year.

Chiefnj
01-04-2005, 11:46 PM
People didn't mind the Welbourne draft when it first happened because they originally only reported it as last years 5th round pick. It came out later that it could escalate to this year's 3rd round pick. That's a bit high for a career guard on a team with excellent guards.

the Talking Can
01-04-2005, 11:57 PM
I still think he'll be a good player for us...at guard.

2bikemike
01-05-2005, 12:14 AM
We get one good mid round player about every three years, because Carl is so putrid drafting. I would still say the trade was worth it. He unfortunately did not play very well, no where near as good as Tait.

Before someone says something about Tait's cost let me remind everyone that we could have franchise tagged him as a ROT for about 6.5 million with no signing bonus. We left about 6 million unused in cap space this year.

Yeah but they sure did pump him up or should I say Pimp'd him up to the fans.

Rausch
01-05-2005, 12:25 AM
I still think he'll be a good player for us...at guard.

Agreed...

DaWolf
01-05-2005, 12:31 AM
We should still have between 9-11 picks in this year's draft, including some of the trades we made last year (R-Kal to the Pack) and whatever compensation picks we get before the draft (Tait better fetch us a good one, because he signed a huge contract making him an A-list free agent loss, while we replaced him with no free agent of even close to equal worth)...

2bikemike
01-05-2005, 01:19 AM
We should still have between 9-11 picks in this year's draft, including some of the trades we made last year (R-Kal to the Pack) and whatever compensation picks we get before the draft (Tait better fetch us a good one, because he signed a huge contract making him an A-list free agent loss, while we replaced him with no free agent of even close to equal worth)...

CHIEFS HAVE 10 PICKS

The Chiefs have the 15th pick of the draft in April. Two teams plus the Chiefs finished 7-9, but the Chiefs are the last of the three to pick because they had a stronger strength of opponent than either Carolina or Houston, based on the cumulative record of opponents.

The Chiefs have 10 picks. Their third-round choice goes to Philadelphia in the trade for lineman John Welbourn. But they have two extra choices in the fifth round and one additional pick in each of the sixth and seventh rounds.

They also expect a compensatory pick as high as the third or fourth round for last year's free-agent loss of tackle John Tait.

Ultra Peanut
01-05-2005, 01:53 AM
I do not want to see Paul McCartney's nipple.

Rausch
01-05-2005, 02:00 AM
I do not want to see Paul McCartney's nipple.

Holy $3it! Dude only has one nipple!?!

the Talking Can
01-05-2005, 06:33 AM
CHIEFS HAVE 10 PICKS

The Chiefs have the 15th pick of the draft in April. Two teams plus the Chiefs finished 7-9, but the Chiefs are the last of the three to pick because they had a stronger strength of opponent than either Carolina or Houston, based on the cumulative record of opponents.

The Chiefs have 10 picks. Their third-round choice goes to Philadelphia in the trade for lineman John Welbourn. But they have two extra choices in the fifth round and one additional pick in each of the sixth and seventh rounds.

They also expect a compensatory pick as high as the third or fourth round for last year's free-agent loss of tackle John Tait.

damn, I was hoping it would be a 4th...a 3rd does kinda hurt...we gave up more for Welbourne than Roaf

Coogs
01-05-2005, 09:59 AM
damn, I was hoping it would be a 4th...a 3rd does kinda hurt...

I was hoping for a 4th too. Have been since September.

philfree
01-05-2005, 10:12 AM
CHIEFS HAVE 10 PICKS

I wonder if this is still accurate. Welbourn played in 10 games before he was IRd but he wasn't taking all the snaps in those games. Bober was getting reps in every game. Not that I doubt 2bike I just wonder if that info hasn't been updated to reflect JWs number of snaps.

PhilFree :arrow:

Saulbadguy
01-05-2005, 10:13 AM
we have 10 picks, but we will probably complain about not having enough money to sign all of them.

2bikemike
01-05-2005, 10:16 AM
I wonder if this is still accurate. Welbourn played in 10 games before he was IRd but he wasn't taking all the snaps in those games. Bober was getting reps in every game. Not that I doubt 2bike I just wonder if that info hasn't been updated to reflect JWs number of snaps.

Well I certainly have no Idea this was a cut and paste job from the star.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/10566640.htm

philfree
01-05-2005, 10:24 AM
Well I certainly have no Idea this was a cut and paste job from the star.

http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/football/nfl/kansas_city_chiefs/10566640.htm

Their info is usually accurate but I'm having a hard time believing that they have access to the number of snaps players played so soon after the last game. They could have but I'm hoping they're wrong like everybody else.