PDA

View Full Version : Vermeil's KC era is winding down

2bikemike
01-05-2005, 02:23 AM
Vermeil's KC era is winding down

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

Dick Vermeil indicated he will coach the Chiefs for one more season, but already he is planning for the end of his reign.

Vermeil said Tuesday that he would free all of his assistant coaches to look for jobs with more security. Vermeil's contract expires at the end of next season, and he has said he would retire for good when it's over.

“I told my coaching staff that this is my last year, and that if anyone had an opportunity that would give them security beyond what we could give them, then I would not hold them to it,” Vermeil said at his season-ending news conference. “I don't think it's fair to do that. I kind of believe most of them want to stay.”

The declaration is unlikely to spark a mass exodus. Vermeil is considered a desirable coach to work for. He has had only two voluntary defections among assistants in his four years with the Chiefs.

Last year, quarterbacks coach Terry Shea took a promotion to become offensive coordinator with the Bears, but Chicago fired him on Tuesday. And linebackers coach Joe Vitt left because of a personality conflict with incoming defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham.

Still, it adds uncertainty at a time when the Chiefs are trying to sort through the problems that led to a disappointing 7-9 season. The Chiefs are hoping to make one last run under Vermeil next season, but a rebuilding job looms in 2006 and beyond.

The Chiefs will have not only a new head coach then, but possibly a new general manager. Carl Peterson is also heading into the last year of his contract.

As Vermeil prepares for his swan song, he knows his biggest issue is his defense. He cited the secondary as the main source of the Chiefs' defensive woes.

The Chiefs were last in the NFL in passing defense. They played more zone coverage toward the end of the season, against Cunningham's preferred style, because cornerbacks Dexter McCleon, William Bartee and Julian Battle struggled in man-to-man.

Bartee and McCleon traded the starting spot opposite Eric Warfield during the season. Each lost it once because of poor play. Battle was benched late in the season after playing poorly. Bartee was dropped to fourth cornerback for the last couple of games behind a rookie free agent, Benny Sapp.

The Chiefs were also disappointed in the play of both veteran safeties, Greg Wesley and Jerome Woods.

“We're evaluating everything they do physically, evaluating who we think can get better and who can't get better, evaluating what we do and ask them to do within this scheme,'' Vermeil said. “Then, if they are our guys, whoever they end up being, then we've got to ask them to do whatever they can get done.

“We have to evaluate how much growth each one of those guys can make. If they can't get better, then someone else has to come in and play those positions.''

Vermeil and Peterson said they weren't inclined to weaken their offense to make improvements on defense. They said neither Priest Holmes nor Larry Johnson would be traded.

Peterson said he wanted Johnson to be half of a backfield committee next season with Holmes, but that decision is Vermeil's. Vermeil and offensive coordinator Al Saunders prefer going with one back.

Vermeil was less critical of the defensive front seven. The Chiefs probably will be looking for one new starting linebacker. Veteran Shawn Barber, who had reconstructive knee surgery Tuesday, won't be available for the start of training camp. His replacement, Monty Beisel, would be an unrestricted free agent.

It's possible all defensive linemen except veteran Vonnie Holliday will return.

“Our young linebackers have to keep growing, because they are very inconsistent,'' Vermeil said. “There is talent there, but they have to keep growing.

“I'm pleased with the progress of our defensive line. I think they can get better, and they will get better. Ryan Sims is still inconsistent. Eric Hicks is Eric Hicks. You know what you're going to get from Eric Hicks. We know what we're going to get from John Browning. We know what we're going to get from Lional Dalton. We know how much room Jared Allen has to grow.''

But Vermeil cautioned, as Peterson did before season's end, not to expect drastic personnel changes.

“It's harder today to overhaul a total roster from a defensive or offensive standpoint,'' Vermeil said. “We've done a heck of a job doing it offensively. I don't think any team in the National Football League has done as good a job as we have of overhauling an offense with the personnel moves that we made. We've tried to draft defensively, and some of those choices haven't worked out.''

To reach Adam Teicher,

2bikemike
01-05-2005, 02:31 AM
Eric Hicks is Eric Hicks. You know what you're going to get from Eric Hicks.

But shouldn't we expect more?

Rausch
01-05-2005, 02:52 AM
Vermeil's KC era is winding down

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

...bla bla bla...

The Chiefs were also disappointed in the play of both veteran safeties, Greg Wesley and Jerome Woods.

“We're evaluating everything they do physically, evaluating who we think can get better and who can't get better, evaluating what we do and ask them to do within this scheme,'' Vermeil said. “Then, if they are our guys, whoever they end up being, then we've got to ask them to do whatever they can get done.

“We have to evaluate how much growth each one of those guys can make. If they can't get better, then someone else has to come in and play those positions.''

OMG! OMG! OMG! DV isn't going to do ANYTHING to improve this team! He said so, just look!

Fairplay
01-05-2005, 03:35 AM
[QUOTE=2bikemike]Vermeil's KC era is winding down

As Vermeil prepares for his swan song, he knows his biggest issue is his defense. He cited the secondary as the main source of the Chiefs' defensive woes.

Newsflash!!
This has been the problem the last 5 years or so.

Fairplay
01-05-2005, 03:39 AM
But Vermeil cautioned, as Peterson did before season's end, not to expect drastic personnel changes.

I want drastic changes to our piss poor defense. Not like its going to get any worse for god's sake!

Fairplay
01-05-2005, 03:42 AM
“Our young linebackers have to keep growing, because they are very inconsistent,'' Vermeil said. “There is talent there, but they have to keep growing.

The sad thing is our linebackers we have now would be lucky to get a starting job for any other NFL team.

Fairplay
01-05-2005, 03:47 AM
Vermeil and Peterson said they weren't inclined to weaken their offense to make improvements on defense. They said neither Priest Holmes nor Larry Johnson would be traded.

Peterson said he wanted Johnson to be half of a backfield committee next season with Holmes, but that decision is Vermeil's. Vermeil and offensive coordinator Al Saunders prefer going with one back.

Niether Holmes or Johnson will be traded! Running back by committee sucks. Let Holmes be the man with LJ coming in to rest him a little. Plus Homles isn't getting any younger.

Fairplay
01-05-2005, 03:51 AM

Does this mean we won't be drafting an RB in the first round?

Fairplay
01-05-2005, 04:25 AM
Bartee and McCleon traded the starting spot opposite Eric Warfield during the season. Each lost it once because of poor play. Battle was benched late in the season after playing poorly.

Poorly, thats how they played all right.

Rausch
01-05-2005, 04:51 AM
Niether Holmes or Johnson will be traded! Running back by committee sucks. Let Holmes be the man with LJ coming in to rest him a little. Plus Homles isn't getting any younger.

Fairplay
01-05-2005, 04:57 AM
Heh, i thought everyone else passed out in front of their monitors, no one was responding.

Fairplay
01-05-2005, 04:58 AM
Rausch you mean to tell me you like RB by committee?

Rausch
01-05-2005, 05:07 AM
Rausch you mean to tell me you like RB by committee?

I like having options.

I'm just confused by your post. You state to hate the idea, then advocate it in the same sentence. I was stupified...

Fairplay
01-05-2005, 05:18 AM
I like having options.

I'm just confused by your post. You state to hate the idea, then advocate it in the same sentence. I was stupified...

Im saying that even though Holmes is the man at RB. He doesn't play every single down. He goes out for a rest (if you noticed), then comes back in. Let LJ go in when he rests is all.

Rausch
01-05-2005, 05:24 AM
Im saying that even though Holmes is the man at RB. He doesn't play every single down. He goes out for a rest (if you noticed), then comes back in. Let LJ go in when he rests is all.

I'd advocate a 2 to 1 Holmes-to-LJ ratio, to keep Priest fresh.

Of course, the Marty-bashers would call "RBBC" immediately and try and stone me...

Fairplay
01-05-2005, 05:30 AM

Of course, the Marty-bashers would call "RBBC" immediately and try and stone me...

Stoneing. What a way to kill someone back in the old days. That would be a cruel way to die. All you could hope for is that someone hits you good on the head so you won't remember your last miserable minutes on earth.

milkman
01-05-2005, 05:31 AM

I'm a Marty-basher, but I'm not going to stone you.

I'd like to see LJ get some touches so that he gains experience, and keeps Priest rested, and hopefully healthy.

Rausch
01-05-2005, 05:32 AM
All you could hope for is that someone hits you good on the head so you won't remember your last miserable minutes on earth.

That's kind of what I thought about the Donks/Packers superbowl...

Fairplay
01-05-2005, 05:34 AM
That's kind of what I thought about the Donks/Packers superbowl...

ROFL

Fairplay
01-05-2005, 05:36 AM
I'm a Marty-basher, but I'm not going to stone you.

Count your lucky stars Rausch, hes granting you mercy.

whoman69
01-05-2005, 07:31 AM

That's not a stoning offense, but do you wash your feet before eating?

KCTitus
01-05-2005, 07:36 AM

Feh...Marty's RBBC had a very special meaning. First, Marty's RBBC did not actually involve RB's rather, they were converted Fullbacks. Second, anytime a player actually made a first down or a good run, he was taken out for at least a couple of series so as to make sure he didnt do it again.

Ive got no problem with LJ and Holmes splitting carries, we know they actually can play the position at which they are lining up.

Count Alex's Losses
01-05-2005, 07:38 AM

I support the same idea....ideally Priest would get 250 carries and LJ would get 100.

Mile High Mania
01-05-2005, 07:49 AM
So, will the Chiefs 2005 season be the big "Last Hurrah" with players coming together to win one for Dick in his final year.... or will it be a non-eventful "lame duck" season with nobody knowing what to expect in 2006?

What caliber of FA's will KC be able to sign when they know that "good guy" Vermeil is in his final season and there's no telling who will be coaching in 2006?

Some of these FA's will be offered long-term deals to spread out bonuses... so, with such a big unknown out there at coaching beyond 2005 and the health status of Holmes...

What will be the attraction to a team that won 7 games and finished 3rd in the division? I'm not throwing out smack, just asking the question....

Big Money is the answer ... but the Chiefs don't throw out big money.

Count Alex's Losses
01-05-2005, 07:52 AM
So, will the Chiefs 2005 season be the big "Last Hurrah" with players coming together to win one for Dick in his final year.... or will it be a non-eventful "lame duck" season with nobody knowing what to expect in 2006?

What caliber of FA's will KC be able to sign when they know that "good guy" Vermeil is in his final season and there's no telling who will be coaching in 2006?

Some of these FA's will be offered long-term deals to spread out bonuses... so, with such a big unknown out there at coaching beyond 2005 and the health status of Holmes...

What will be the attraction to a team that won 7 games and finished 3rd in the division? I'm not throwing out smack, just asking the question....

Big Money is the answer ... but the Chiefs don't throw out big money.

They threw out big money to Gonzalez and Holmes and anyone else that was worth it...

As far as DV's final season...yes it will be a last hurrah. You act as if losing teams are incapable of bringing in talent to make themselves better.

tomahawk kid
01-05-2005, 07:52 AM
I wouldn't freak out about the "lack of wholesale changes" line.

By that, I think they're saying not to expect 7 new starters on defense.

King Carl has already said that we have enough cap room to go out and get 2-3 impact free agents.

I holding out hope that these, coupled with the draft, might be enough to get the defense "respectible".

Maybe I'm kidding myself.

Mile High Mania
01-05-2005, 07:56 AM
They threw out big money to Gonzalez and Holmes and anyone else that was worth it...

As far as DV's final season...yes it will be a last hurrah. You act as if losing teams are incapable of bringing in talent to make themselves better.

No ... I said that typically it takes big $. And, Gonzo and Holmes were KC's FA's ... when was the last time KC spent big bucks on a FA from another team?

Count Alex's Losses
01-05-2005, 07:57 AM
No ... I said that typically it takes big $. And, Gonzo and Holmes were KC's FA's ... when was the last time KC spent big bucks on a FA from another team?

Two years ago....the free agent signings didn't work out too well, but they went out and got them.

Mile High Mania
01-05-2005, 07:59 AM
Two years ago....the free agent signings didn't work out too well, but they went out and got them.

Ohhhh... my bad then.

KCJake
01-05-2005, 08:04 AM
That tells you what you want to hear right there. That's DV's way of saying, we need to aquire some better player's. Don't worry about the "RBBC." DV has said many times that he doesn't like it. LJ will get some carries next season, but he won't be splitting them 50/50 with Holmes.

KCTitus
01-05-2005, 08:07 AM

You're kidding right? You must be, you've been around since the founding. Some of the biggest FA busts KC got was in Marty's last year.

Mile High Mania
01-05-2005, 08:07 AM
That tells you what you want to hear right there. That's DV's way of saying, we need to aquire some better player's. Don't worry about the "RBBC." DV has said many times that he doesn't like it. LJ will get some carries next season, but he won't be splitting them 50/50 with Holmes.

Cool ... so, 2005 is the year?

Mile High Mania
01-05-2005, 08:13 AM
You're kidding right? You must be, you've been around since the founding. Some of the biggest FA busts KC got was in Marty's last year.

I wasn't asking about 'busts'... maybe I didn't ask it right. Obviously, if KC is going to win next year - DV's final year - the defense has to be fixed quickly. You can't do that via the draft in 1 year.

So, FA is the only way that you can fix 2-4 positions and depth.

So, I was implying that since it is DV's final year ... there are questions as to who would be the coach for the next 3-5 years. There are questions about Holmes' health.

So, what would attract a top notch FA to KC? Big bucks... so I was asking when was the last time that KC spent big bucks to lure another FA to KC.

I honestly can't recall.

I don't think KC can lure the 2-4 top quality FA's to a 7 win team, with a hobbled star and a coach in his final year without spending some cash.

That was all. I realize that big name FA's sign with bad teams all the time and you wonder why... but it's usually the contract. So, with all the talk the last year about Lamar being a penny pincher... will KC commit to spending the money to bring in the guys on defense for the last ride with Vermeil?

KCTitus
01-05-2005, 08:20 AM
I wasn't asking about 'busts'... maybe I didn't ask it right.

Well, you were talking about FA's and if we follow The Lexicon, they are 'busts'. For the better part of 99 and 2000, KC spent a good portion of time in 'cap hell' for throwing money at FA's, surely you remember the weeping and gnashing of teeth around here when KC couldnt sign 5 FA's every March.

Aside from Barber and Holliday from a couple of years ago, there was also Dan Williams, Chester McGlockton, and Lew Bush back in 1998/99.

Mile High Mania
01-05-2005, 08:23 AM
Well, you were talking about FA's and if we follow The Lexicon, they are 'busts'. For the better part of 99 and 2000, KC spent a good portion of time in 'cap hell' for throwing money at FA's, surely you remember the weeping and gnashing of teeth around here when KC couldnt sign 5 FA's every March.

Aside from Barber and Holliday from a couple of years ago, there was also Dan Williams, Chester McGlockton, and Lew Bush back in 1998/99.

I do recall that and that's why I was asking ... as the other article you posted states, KC has been "very conservative" regarding FA's the last few years. Now, Peterson hints at opening the checkbook to win now.

I'm wondering how many of you believe him.

Count Alex's Losses
01-05-2005, 08:24 AM
I do recall that and that's why I was asking ... as the other article you posted states, KC has been "very conservative" regarding FA's the last few years. Now, Peterson hints at opening the checkbook to win now.

I'm wondering how many of you believe him.

I think most Chiefs fans will believe it when they see it.

KCTitus
01-05-2005, 08:25 AM
I think most Chiefs fans will believe it when they see it.

ditto...

They dont call MO the 'Show Me' state for nothing, Brad.

htismaqe
01-05-2005, 09:42 AM
Priest getting 250 carries and LJ getting 100 isn't RBbC.

Hell, Priest getting 175 carries and LJ getting 175 carries isn't RBbC.

Priest getting 100, LJ getting 100, Omar Easy getting 50, Blaylock getting 50...now THAT is RBbC...

KCTitus
01-05-2005, 09:43 AM
Priest getting 100, LJ getting 100, Omar Easy getting 50, Blaylock getting 50...now THAT is RBbC...

You forgot Richardson getting 50 carries, and an attempt to convert a WR to be a RB that gets 20 carries as well.

Count Alex's Losses
01-05-2005, 09:44 AM
Priest getting 250 carries and LJ getting 100 isn't RBbC.

Hell, Priest getting 175 carries and LJ getting 175 carries isn't RBbC.

ROFL

:shake: