PDA

View Full Version : Petition Assistance Requested

Bob Dole
01-05-2005, 08:50 AM
After watching last night's festering, corporate-fueled, horrible excuse for entertainment, and reading that others shared Bob Dole's sentiments about the thing, it occurred to Bob Dole that this presents an opportunity for the common folk to make a bunch of noise and accomplish absolutely nothing.

Bob Dole would like to craft a PetitionOnline petition and suggest that the NCAA and the networks (or whoever the **** decided that we were all morons and wanted to watch this pop shit) cease putting together these shimmering crapfests during halftime of college bowl games.

As an alternative, they should return to the tradition of having both school's marching bands perform, and take the money they would have otherwise spent on their no-talent hacks and donate it to each school's music scholarship fund.

A brief look through the OU scholarship guide has revealed that the largest marching band scholarship available at that school is $1700. How many young musicians could be assisted with their college education with the money being spent on useless, poor quality crap? Similarly, how much good could have been accomplished with the FCC fines levied if a similar system was somehow implemented during last year's Super Bowl? (The selection of the schools to play is the only problem with that one.)

Bob Dole doesn't want to leave out any relevant points and is looking for your ideas and suggestions for this petition. As indicated, Bob Dole doesn't really expect anything to come of the idea, but it would be interesting to post an intelligently written petition online and see how many people will support the idea.

Saulbadguy
01-05-2005, 08:52 AM
Its ABC, not the NCAA. I think.

Also, these schools get enough $$$$ for competing in these games.

Cochise
01-05-2005, 08:52 AM
Don't just limit it to bowl games, tell them to abolish the ridiculous crap at the Super Bowl too

ChiTown
01-05-2005, 08:55 AM
Don't just limit it to bowl games, tell them to abolish the ridiculous crap at the Super Bowl too

Yeah, and donate the money to a worthless cause, like my bank account.....

Dr. Facebook Fever
01-05-2005, 08:55 AM
What was the half-time entertainment? I heard there was gonna be a world premiere of the new U2 video or something but I didn't see it. U2 kicks ass.

Dr. Facebook Fever
01-05-2005, 09:00 AM
While we're on the subject I'd just like to say that the constant playing of the schools' bands between EVERY FUGGIN' PLAY was excessively annoying. It was enough to make me turn the channel after a while since I didn't really care about the game anyway.

Bob Dole
01-05-2005, 09:03 AM
Its ABC, not the NCAA. I think.

Also, these schools get enough $$$$ for competing in these games.

How much the schools receive financially is not the issue.

The issue is that we're being handed a festering pile of shit for a halftime show, when there are 2 capable marching bands sitting in the stands and a lot of young people who can't afford a decent college education.

Is Bob Dole to understand that you'd rather watch Cowshit Meatpipe and Trashlee Simpson perform than watch the 2 school's marching bands and know that it was helping people pay for a college education?

Cochise
01-05-2005, 09:03 AM
U2 licks ass.

I corrected your spelling there. No charge :thumb:

Saulbadguy
01-05-2005, 09:05 AM

The issue is that we're being handed a festering pile of shit for a halftime show, when there are 2 capable marching bands sitting in the stands and a lot of young people who can't afford a decent college education.

Is Bob Dole to understand that you'd rather watch Cowshit Meatpipe and Trashlee Simpson perform than watch the 2 school's marching bands and know that it was helping people pay for a college education?
No.

I just think any complaining/petitioning/whatever is futile.

Saulbadguy
01-05-2005, 09:06 AM
While we're on the subject I'd just like to say that the constant playing of the schools' bands between EVERY FUGGIN' PLAY was excessively annoying. It was enough to make me turn the channel after a while since I didn't really care about the game anyway.
I thought hearing "Boomer Sooner" every play was quite amusing when the score was 48-10.

Bob Dole
01-05-2005, 09:10 AM
No.

I just think any complaining/petitioning/whatever is futile.

Didn't Bob Dole admit as much in the topic starting post?

Thig Lyfe
01-05-2005, 09:10 AM
sweet. good idea, petitions are fun. the one I wrote to keep Carlos Beltran in KC actually worked two summers ago.

I would adress it to the networks in general. The halftime shows everywhere SUCK.

oh, and to get a bunch of signatures it's a good idea to send it to few columnists. that's how we got quite a few signatures on the Beltran petition. we sent ours to Flanagan @ the Star & a few others.

Saulbadguy
01-05-2005, 09:11 AM
Didn't Bob Dole admit as much in the topic starting post?
And you expect me to read ALL of it? Pshh..

CosmicPal
01-05-2005, 09:16 AM
Hey, I can lip-sync as well as anyone. You'd only ruin my chance at getting a shot at a half-time show.

morphius
01-05-2005, 09:17 AM
Yeah, and donate the money to a worthless cause, like my bank account.....
You know your wife would just spend it all on stuff that you just kind of wonder what you have to show for it...

So yeah, useless may be the right wording.

Dr. Facebook Fever
01-05-2005, 09:18 AM
What was the half-time entertainment?
Well....??????

Anyone......??????

Dr. Facebook Fever
01-05-2005, 09:19 AM
I thought hearing "Boomer Sooner" every play was quite amusing when the score was 48-10.
It may have been amusing the first 3000 times. After that it drove me up the fuggin wall.

Saulbadguy
01-05-2005, 09:19 AM
Well....??????

Anyone......??????
Cowshit meatpie.

Actually, it was:

Kelly Clarkson, some girl from American Idol
Some dumbass Country singer whose name I can't remember
Ashlee Simpson, who sang terribly.

Bob Dole
01-05-2005, 09:24 AM
Cowshit meatpie.

Actually, it was:

Cowshit Meatpipe = Trace Adkins

Dr. Facebook Fever
01-05-2005, 11:31 AM
Cowshit meatpie.

Actually, it was:

Holy crap that is bad. Glad I missed it.

Phobia
01-05-2005, 11:45 AM
I just want to know why marching band halftime entertainment doesn't suck as bad or worse than Ashlee Simpson.

I respect musicians. Some of them are incredibly talented. But, I don't care for any kind of marching band. I'd rather not see them. I'd rather boo Ashlee Simpson.

Thig Lyfe
01-05-2005, 11:49 AM
I just want to know why marching band halftime entertainment doesn't suck as bad or worse than Ashlee Simpson.

I respect musicians. Some of them are incredibly talented. But, I don't care for any kind of marching band. I'd rather not see them. I'd rather boo Ashlee Simpson.

At least marching band music is real music.

Bearcat
01-05-2005, 11:49 AM
Last night a transformer blew outside of my apartment... sometime during the first quarter.... only lost power for a couple of seconds. At halftime I went outside and started chopping down the f****ing pole.

Chiefnj
01-05-2005, 11:53 AM
Does this petition mean Bill Romanowski won't be playing LB for the Chiefs?

DeepSouth
01-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Mr. Dole, I'd rather you start a petition for the NCAA and the Bowl Coalition to come up with some kind of Div I play off system. I don't know that Auburn would have stood up to USC any better than OU but I don't think they would have done any worse.

ChiTown
01-05-2005, 11:56 AM

cuz, at least a marching band makes you feel like you are still at a CFB game vs. some bad Karaoke Bar...............

Pitt Gorilla
01-05-2005, 12:00 PM
After watching last night's festering, corporate-fueled, horrible excuse for entertainment, and reading that others shared Bob Dole's sentiments about the thing, it occurred to Bob Dole that this presents an opportunity for the common folk to make a bunch of noise and accomplish absolutely nothing.

Bob Dole would like to craft a PetitionOnline petition and suggest that the NCAA and the networks (or whoever the **** decided that we were all morons and wanted to watch this pop shit) cease putting together these shimmering crapfests during halftime of college bowl games.

As an alternative, they should return to the tradition of having both school's marching bands perform, and take the money they would have otherwise spent on their no-talent hacks and donate it to each school's music scholarship fund.

A brief look through the OU scholarship guide has revealed that the largest marching band scholarship available at that school is $1700. How many young musicians could be assisted with their college education with the money being spent on useless, poor quality crap? Similarly, how much good could have been accomplished with the FCC fines levied if a similar system was somehow implemented during last year's Super Bowl? (The selection of the schools to play is the only problem with that one.)

Bob Dole doesn't want to leave out any relevant points and is looking for your ideas and suggestions for this petition. As indicated, Bob Dole doesn't really expect anything to come of the idea, but it would be interesting to post an intelligently written petition online and see how many people will support the idea.This is one of the best ideas that I've ever heard/read. I really do enjoy the halftime shows at college football games and would like to see them return to the airwaves. In fact, my family and I were discussing this very issue last week. They have the time to show all of these silly graphics but they can't show at least part of the band's halftime show? Good idea, Dole.

KS Smitty
01-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Cowshit Meatpipe = Trace Adkins

ROFL

The petition should state what is the (perceived) problem and a solution to it.

We, the undersigned, hereby petition [whoever.. BCS, NCAA, network television] to provide better quality entertainment during halftime festivities of Bowl games and provide musical scholarships to the schools involved. The public would be better served by allowing the Universities competing in the game to perform during halftime. The Universities would benefit by splitting the moneys budgeted for "big-name" entertainers equally between the schools in the form of music scholarships. If you don't change things then Bob_Dole will round up a posse of angry half-time viewers and pay you a visit.

You can change it however you want just make sure and leave the last line. ;)

Thig Lyfe
01-05-2005, 12:03 PM
This is one of the best ideas that I've ever heard/read. I really do enjoy the halftime shows at college football games and would like to see them return to the airwaves. In fact, my family and I were discussing this very issue last week. They have the time to show all of these silly graphics but they can't show at least part of the band's halftime show? Good idea, Dole.

They did show some of the Rose Bowl halftime show with the Michigan band, thank goodness.

Although I do have a feeling that if anything else was performed at the Rose Bowl i.e. Ashlee Shitson that everybody ever associated with college football would have a coronary and/or go on a killing spree.

Phobia
01-05-2005, 12:04 PM
Why do I need to be entertained at halftime? Halftime is time for a quickie with the old lady and if there's time left over, to grab a snack out of the fridge.

I don't need them extending halftime by 20 minutes so they can roll a damn stage onto the field.

Thig Lyfe
01-05-2005, 12:06 PM
ROFL

The petition should state what is the (perceived) problem and a solution to it.

We, the undersigned, hereby petition [whoever.. BCS, NCAA, network television] to provide better quality entertainment during halftime festivities of Bowl games and provide musical scholarships to the schools involved. The public would be better served by allowing the Universities competing in the game to perform during halftime. The Universities would benefit by splitting the moneys budgeted for "big-name" entertainers equally between the schools in the form of music scholarships. If you don't change things then Bob_Dole will round up a posse of angry half-time viewers and pay you a visit.

You can change it however you want just make sure and leave the last line. ;)

Indeed. Make it happen.

Adress it to the networks and expand on the idea to include all sports. In addition to the college idea (which is fantastic btw), you could propose a change in the Super Bowl where the winner of some college marching band contest would get to perform at the SB and have money donated to their music scholarship fund.

Pitt Gorilla
01-05-2005, 12:06 PM

I respect musicians. Some of them are incredibly talented. But, I don't care for any kind of marching band. I'd rather not see them. I'd rather boo Ashlee Simpson.Maybe you don't like the band music, but it still wouldn't suck as bad as what was on last night. Also, the kids would get some money to help pay for college. I wasn't in the marching band in college, but several of my students have been. They get very little in terms of scholarship money and work their asses off for what they do get. Giving the money to them instead of these other clowns is the real point, IMO.

Predarat
01-05-2005, 12:14 PM
I vote for SUMO football at half time. Dress up 11 of each schools fans and let them play SUMO football. They do this at hockey games and it is a trip! Maybe even a real fight would break out between the participents. Thats another idea, just select some of the most drunk and obnoxious fans of each team, put them in the middle of the field and let them brawl. They could do this at the NFL level as well. Imagine being able to brawl with donc and fadah fans in front of 78,000 screaming fans at Arrowhead!!

Demonpenz
01-05-2005, 12:16 PM
i vote for acdc to play at all big events.

Bob Dole
01-05-2005, 01:13 PM
Why do I need to be entertained at halftime? Halftime is time for a quickie with the old lady and if there's time left over, to grab a snack out of the fridge.

I don't need them extending halftime by 20 minutes so they can roll a damn stage onto the field.

Another benefit of returning to the tradition of the school marching bands. There is no outlandish production expense or extended halftime period.

Plus, at the end of the game, there's always a chance that the bands will storm the field prematurely.

Swanman
01-05-2005, 02:06 PM

It would take much less cash to fly the Florida A&M "Marching 100" to do the halftime show and it would be a million times more entertaining. That was the only reason I went to the Illinois / Florida A&M game this year as both football teams were horseshit, but the halftime show was worth the price of admission.