PDA

View Full Version : What would be the best way to utilize both Priest and LJ next season ......

Kris Kringle
01-05-2005, 10:07 AM
.......or how do you think Dick and Al will use them both next season?

Of course, we are assuming that they will both be Chiefs in '05. I don't believe that Carl will trade either of them. They could be a good one, two punch. Or, if not done correctly, trying to use both of them could turn into RBBC again. What do you think?

Discuss.........

Hoover
01-05-2005, 10:13 AM
Run the ball 30 times a game.

Priest gets 20 and all Goal Line Carries

LJ gets 10, more if we are up big.

Pretty simple if you ask me

King_Chief_Fan
01-05-2005, 10:15 AM
.......or how do you think Dick and Al will use them both next season?

Of course, we are assuming that they will both be Chiefs in '05. I don't believe that Carl will trade either of them. They could be a good one, two punch. Or, if not done correctly, trying to use both of them could turn into RBBC again. What do you think?

Discuss.........

You use PH until he gets hurt the 8th game and then you use Johnson.

tyton75
01-05-2005, 10:16 AM
I just hope they don't use one of them as the "3rd down back" I freaking hate that.

I wouldn't be upset if they gave Priest 2 series and then gave LJ one..

I would also like to see them use LJ in more of the smashmouth role.. let him take it up the middle.

I hate seeing Preist run dives because I'm afraid he'll get hurt (unless its goaline and he can do his superman thing)

Saulbadguy
01-05-2005, 10:17 AM
Priest gets the chips, Larry gets the cheese.

bricks
01-05-2005, 10:19 AM
My opinion they should use them in a split package, where 2 RB's line up, split from each other. Or, use what they call a "jumbo" package, where you got two RB's line up split from each other, and one back in the middle. Confuses the defense. Especially, when you have weapons like Priest, LJ, and T-Rich, they don't know who's going to get the ball!

ArrowheadHawk
01-05-2005, 10:20 AM
Priest gets the chips, Larry gets the cheese.10,000 comedians out of a job and your trying to be funny

Count Zarth
01-05-2005, 10:26 AM
I think the best way would be to do it by series. Each back gets a certain number of series per game. If we get up by a few scores, rest Priest.

htismaqe
01-05-2005, 10:36 AM
I think we should use LJ and his breakaway speed any time we're between the 20's. Any time we're inside the 20 we should use Priest.

HC_Chief
01-05-2005, 10:38 AM
Priest is a TD machine, so he obviously gets the majority of PT in the red zone.

A 2-back set w/ Priest and LJ, with Gonzo at TE should give opposing DCs nightmares :evil:

redbrian
01-05-2005, 10:39 AM
Running Back by Committee; hell it worked so well in the past.

ChiTown
01-05-2005, 10:39 AM
Re-sign Blaylock.

Trade Priest and our 4th rd pick to Miami for their 2nd rd pick (#34 overall) stock up on an additionall LB. Miami needs RB's in the worst way, and certailnly Priest, if healthy, would be a pleasant addition. Could it happen? Who knows.

I'm thinking CB in the first rd., LB with the 2 picks in the 2nd, and DE pass rusher with our conditional pick from Chicago (Tait). That's Defense with the 1st 4 picks, but I think it's necessary.

I want a Safety and WR in Free Agency. The rest of our picks can be best available athletes at any position.

I know this $hit won't fly, but it's always fun to talk about.......

Taco John
01-05-2005, 10:40 AM
If I learned correct from this place, this is where I yell this:

RBBC! RBBC!

redbrian
01-05-2005, 10:43 AM
If I learned correct from this place, this is where I yell this:

RBBC! RBBC!

As usual a day late and a dollar short, just like your team in itís upcoming slaughter.

htismaqe
01-05-2005, 10:52 AM
Re-sign Blaylock.

Trade Priest and our 4th rd pick to Miami for their 2nd rd pick (#34 overall) stock up on an additionall LB. Miami needs RB's in the worst way, and certailnly Priest, if healthy, would be a pleasant addition. Could it happen? Who knows.

I'm thinking CB in the first rd., LB with the 2 picks in the 2nd, and DE pass rusher with our conditional pick from Chicago (Tait). That's Defense with the 1st 4 picks, but I think it's necessary.

I want a Safety and WR in Free Agency. The rest of our picks can be best available athletes at any position.

I thought of the same thing until I remembered Carl talking about yesterday.

We can't trade Priest, we'd have over $6M dead on the cap because of his signing bonus. Of course, he can't retire either, unless he wants to give it back...

RedXtreme
01-05-2005, 10:53 AM
I agree with the idea Of PH mainly onside the 20 let LJ have the long hard carries for the largest part

Kris Kringle
01-05-2005, 10:59 AM
Some of you are saying to run LJ between the 20s and give Priest the carries in the red zone. First of all, why would you do that? LJs ratio of rushes to TDs is the same as Priest's. LJ is scoring TDs at the same exact rate as Priest. Also, with as much crying at LJ has done, do you think he'd stand for having all his TDs taken away from him after he's ground out the tough yards between the 20s. He'd be crying and back in diapers if he were used that way.

I predict two things about our running game in '05: 1.) It'll be very, very productive. We may lead the league in rushing and WILL lead the league in rushing TDs. 2.) It'll be a media nightmare. LJ will be crying and moaning and the media will be all over it. Vermiel will be on Priest's side, like he is for Trent. But the media will be on LJ's side.

HC_Chief
01-05-2005, 11:06 AM
If LJ gets his fair share of PT, which I think will happen, he won't bitch. He was pissed because he was a hgih draft pick, yet never given the opportunity to compete for the backup position (it was <i>given</i> to Blaylock; and Blaylock was doing a good job, so why not?).

I would love to see use run a 2-back set for half our offensive snaps - both Priest and LJ in the backfield. NIGHTMARE to defend :D

RedXtreme
01-05-2005, 11:09 AM
I agree with that but I think LJ has the speed for longer runs than PH that is why I say this.LJ needs more space to get to top speed but PH has the burst LJs average TD run is longer than PHs is

htismaqe
01-05-2005, 11:11 AM
Some of you are saying to run LJ between the 20s and give Priest the carries in the red zone. First of all, why would you do that? LJs ratio of rushes to TDs is the same as Priest's. LJ is scoring TDs at the same exact rate as Priest. Also, with as much crying at LJ has done, do you think he'd stand for having all his TDs taken away from him after he's ground out the tough yards between the 20s. He'd be crying and back in diapers if he were used that way.

I predict two things about our running game in '05: 1.) It'll be very, very productive. We may lead the league in rushing and WILL lead the league in rushing TDs. 2.) It'll be a media nightmare. LJ will be crying and moaning and the media will be all over it. Vermiel will be on Priest's side, like he is for Trent. But the media will be on LJ's side.

Why between the 20's?

Because Larry Johnson had more 40+ runs in half a season than Priest has the whole time he's been here.

It doesn't look like LJ is the one crying here.

Kris Kringle
01-05-2005, 11:13 AM
If LJ gets his fair share of PT, which I think will happen, he won't bitch. He was pissed because he was a hgih draft pick, yet never given the opportunity to compete for the backup position (it was given to Blaylock; and Blaylock was doing a good job, so why not?).

I would love to see use run a 2-back set for half our offensive snaps - both Priest and LJ in the backfield. NIGHTMARE to defend :D LJ needs to learn to block like T-Rich for this to happen. I hope it does. I agree. That would be hard to defend.

Kris Kringle
01-05-2005, 11:14 AM
I agree with that but I think LJ has the speed for longer runs than PH that is why I say this.LJ needs more space to get to top speed but PH has the burst LJs average TD run is longer than PHs is What do you have against punctuation?

Kris Kringle
01-05-2005, 11:15 AM
Why between the 20's?

Because Larry Johnson had more 40+ runs in half a season than Priest has the whole time he's been here.

It doesn't look like LJ is the one crying here. Who's crying? :hmmm:

Count Zarth
01-05-2005, 11:19 AM
I still think the best scenario is to do it by possession. LJ and Priest will start whining if they are taken out for the other when the team nears the goalline.

MikeTheWildcat
01-05-2005, 11:22 AM
Boy this is a tough one, both great backs. There are some teams that don't have one. It is a good problems to have, the Chiefs just need to handle it the right way. One thing Priest is getting older and is getting dinged up. Johnson should get some carries (maybe a lot of carries) and be ready to start in two years (2006).

HC_Chief
01-05-2005, 11:25 AM
Imagine a lineup w/ Kennison at SE, Porter (or other FA acquired this offesason) at FL, Gonzo @ TE, and Priest & LJ in the backfield. :eek:

Then put one of the backs in motion... or split into the slot. :evil:

Defenses would shit themselves

htismaqe
01-05-2005, 11:26 AM
Who's crying? :hmmm:

Let's see. On one hand, a couple of people suggested using LJ between the 20's and Priest in the red zone and left it at that.

The other person went on for 2 paragraphs about how much LJ would cry about everything.

I'm sorry you don't like Larry Johnson. But if you want to stop crying, it's alright with me.

RedXtreme
01-05-2005, 11:27 AM
What do you have against punctuation?
Never claimed to like it .But I guess I can try better .Ok!

htismaqe
01-05-2005, 11:29 AM
Never claimed to like it .But I guess I can try better .Ok!

Don't sweat...it! You're doing, just fine, the way it is.

ILChief
01-05-2005, 11:36 AM
Priest, LJ, T-Rich.................. WISHBONE BABY!!!

philfree
01-05-2005, 12:03 PM
I don't think using both RBs means RBbc. We have two studs who we can run the whole offense with. Any play Holmes can run Johnson can run and vice versa. In a committee there's usually some things each RB specializes at. IMO Holmes is the starter and in the 1st half LJ comes in like Blaylock was, when Holmes needs a breather. He also gets at least one possession in the 1st half as a starter, maybe two. Then in the 3rd qtr Holmes get's the rock with Johnson only getting carries when Holmes needs a breather. (ie after a long run.) In the 4th qrtr enter Johnson to get the bulk of the carries. Let his size bludgeon(sp?) the already tired D and then with his spead he can out race them to the endzone. Injur them with Holmes and then insult(or assault) them with Johnson.

PhilFree :arrow:

Kris Kringle
01-05-2005, 12:10 PM
Let's see. On one hand, a couple of people suggested using LJ between the 20's and Priest in the red zone and left it at that.

The other person went on for 2 paragraphs about how much LJ would cry about everything.

I'm sorry you don't like Larry Johnson. But if you want to stop crying, it's alright with me. Nobody is crying. We're discussing. :rolleyes:

Kris Kringle
01-05-2005, 12:11 PM
Don't sweat...it! You're doing, just fine, the way it is. ROFL

htismaqe
01-05-2005, 12:11 PM
Nobody is crying. We're discussing. :rolleyes:

Maybe you can mention your concern about LJ "crying" once then.

Kris Kringle
01-05-2005, 12:16 PM
Maybe you can mention your concern about LJ "crying" once then.

You have an unhealthy obssesion with crying, don't you? :deevee:

CrazyHorse
01-05-2005, 01:36 PM
3 TEs 2 backs.

Motion into any formation out of that. I honestly dont know how anyone could stop us.

It would definately be take some balls to call a pass defense against that formation. Even though we could easily pass out of it. Opposing defenses would be at a loss of what personnel to put on the field. Whatever they decide to go with, we could just switch it up to whatever they stand the least chance of defending.

Of course, we wouldn't have to get too dynamic. We could just pound the ball untill thier backs break.....

....in the second quarter.

Kris Kringle
01-05-2005, 01:56 PM
3 TEs 2 backs.

Motion into any formation out of that. I honestly dont know how anyone could stop us.

It would definately be take some balls to call a pass defense against that formation. Even though we could easily pass out of it. Opposing defenses would be at a loss of what personnel to put on the field. Whatever they decide to go with, we could just switch it up to whatever they stand the least chance of defending.

Of course, we wouldn't have to get too dynamic. We could just pound the ball untill thier backs break.....

....in the second quarter. That would certainly be playing to our strengths. We're loaded at RB and TE. However, with that formation, the defense doesn't hardly have to defend the deep field at all.

Coogs
01-05-2005, 02:14 PM
Re-sign Blaylock.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

penchief
01-05-2005, 03:39 PM
Imagine a lineup w/ Kennison at SE, Porter (or other FA acquired this offesason) at FL, Gonzo @ TE, and Priest & LJ in the backfield. :eek:

Then put one of the backs in motion... or split into the slot. :evil:

Defenses would shit themselves

I agree completely. Mix in a little Kris Wilson (who I think will also prove his worth) and defenses won't be able to handle the mismatches. Everyone of those guys will help give the others more room to make hay.

Both running backs are excellent receivers and it's tough to argue with LJ's receiving yardage. Any way you can get him the ball with a little room to run is a good idea. Passes are one good way to do this. Especially the swing passes, IMO.

It is true that Priest has a quicker burst into the hole but it seems like LJ comes out of the hole with speed and power to spare. It appears like a lot of defenders (ala Lynch) misjudge the speed with which he emerges from a hole. If he can learn to attack the hole with more efficiency he could end up being murder on defenses, IMO.

Kris Kringle
01-06-2005, 11:15 AM
I agree completely. Mix in a little Kris Wilson (who I think will also prove his worth) and defenses won't be able to handle the mismatches. Everyone of those guys will help give the others more room to make hay.

Both running backs are excellent receivers and it's tough to argue with LJ's receiving yardage. Any way you can get him the ball with a little room to run is a good idea. Passes are one good way to do this. Especially the swing passes, IMO.

It is true that Priest has a quicker burst into the hole but it seems like LJ comes out of the hole with speed and power to spare. It appears like a lot of defenders (ala Lynch) misjudge the speed with which he emerges from a hole. If he can learn to attack the hole with more efficiency he could end up being murder on defenses, IMO. You say "hole" way too much. It makes me uncomfortable. :(

Nightfyre
01-06-2005, 11:27 AM
We should proll just line up with Trent, PH, LJ, Kris Wilson and TRich in the backfield. (QB undercenter). Throw Gonzo on the line and you have a running formation... Or is it a pass formation? except i think you have to have 7 men on the LOS.

Woodrow Call
01-06-2005, 11:35 AM
Priest, LJ, T-Rich.................. WISHBONE BABY!!!

It would be kind of neat to see a goaline package with Booth running the Wishbone with LJ, Priest and T-Rich.

Im not saying it would work. I would just like to see it done once in preseason or something just to give othe DC's more to think about. :p

Kris Kringle
01-06-2005, 12:05 PM
It would be kind of neat to see a goaline package with Booth running the Wishbone with LJ, Priest and T-Rich.

Im not saying it would work. I would just like to see it done once in preseason or something just to give othe DC's more to think about. :p Booth who?

Woodrow Call
01-06-2005, 12:19 PM
Booth who?

Practice squad receiver that was a QB in college. Hope he never makes the team but will probably be camp fodder again.

PastorMikH
01-06-2005, 01:17 PM
With Priest healthy and the game close, let Priest play but let him be able to signal to the sidelines for a break. When there is a decent lead, or when Priest wants a break, let LJ run.

LJ will really stack up yards if he will wait until Priest softens up the D, then come in fresh after they are tired.

OldTownChief
01-06-2005, 01:35 PM
I was listening to Al the other day on 810 and it may not be that simple. He was talking about the different running styles Priest and Larry have and totally different preparation for the game with blocking schemes. With Priest there is a lot of pulling guard type blocking and with Larry, more conventional straight up blocking. Lot of preparation involved with either, and hard to prepare for both.

Kris Kringle
01-06-2005, 01:47 PM
I was listening to Al the other day on 810 and it may not be that simple. He was talking about the different running styles Priest and Larry have and totally different preparation for the game with blocking schemes. With Priest there is a lot of pulling guard type blocking and with Larry, more conventional straight up blocking. Lot of preparation involved with either, and hard to prepare for both. Just get it done Al. You're making it sound harder than it is.

Raiderhader
01-06-2005, 01:56 PM
With Priest healthy and the game close, let Priest play but let him be able to signal to the sidelines for a break. When there is a decent lead, or when Priest wants a break, let LJ run.

LJ will really stack up yards if he will wait until Priest softens up the D, then come in fresh after they are tired.

I'm pretty sure that Priest takes a break whenever Priest wants.

PastorMikH
01-06-2005, 02:27 PM
I'm pretty sure that Priest takes a break whenever Priest wants.

Yeah, but next year we should send LJ in to relieve him instead of Blaylock.

;)

Raiderhader
01-06-2005, 02:31 PM
Yeah, but next year we should send LJ in to relieve him instead of Blaylock.

;)

I do not think that will be an issue. My guess is that Blaylock will not be here to spell Holmes in any advent.

PastorMikH
01-06-2005, 02:37 PM
I do not think that will be an issue. My guess is that Blaylock will not be here to spell Holmes in any advent.

Agree. Hard to believe that we'll be letting a RB the caliber of Blaylock go. The kid has developed into a decent back.

Hope he gets to see some starting time next year.

Iowanian
01-06-2005, 02:38 PM
Maryland EYE formation.

pshaw.

Holmes is the starter.......play Johnson for blows and maybe every 3-4th series.

CanadaKC
01-06-2005, 02:39 PM
Carl says he might do something "drastic" in the draft. You can read into that whatever you like...

Kris Kringle
01-06-2005, 02:44 PM
Carl says he might do something "drastic" in the draft. You can read into that whatever you like... When/where did he say that? Link?

Ari Chi3fs
01-06-2005, 02:44 PM
I think we should use LJ and his breakaway speed any time we're between the 20's. Any time we're inside the 20 we should use Priest.

i like it. Call Carl. Get in touch with Dick. Let them know.

CanadaKC
01-06-2005, 02:48 PM
When/where did he say that? Link? It was part of his interview...I cannot find the rest of it. But look here for other stuff he said...
http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/The+Way+We+Hear+It/default.htm?mode=afcwest

Kris Kringle
01-06-2005, 02:48 PM
i like it. Call Carl. Get in touch with Dick. Let them know. Don't you wish it were just that easy?

Raiderhader
01-06-2005, 02:49 PM
Agree. Hard to believe that we'll be letting a RB the caliber of Blaylock go. The kid has developed into a decent back.

Hope he gets to see some starting time next year.

For someone outside of our division. ;) So long as that is the case, I wish him the best.

Raiderhader
01-06-2005, 02:51 PM
Maryland EYE formation.

pshaw.

Holmes is the starter.......play Johnson for blows and maybe every 3-4th series.

This is the way I would like to see it as well. Priest has earned it. LJ has plenty of time ahead of him.

htismaqe
01-06-2005, 02:57 PM
Carl says he might do something "drastic" in the draft. You can read into that whatever you like...

Say Hello to Cadillac Williams!

:D

CanadaKC
01-06-2005, 03:03 PM
Say Hello to Cadillac Williams!

ROFL