PDA

View Full Version : Are frozen pizzas any good?

Skip Towne
01-05-2005, 11:57 AM
What kind (brand name) are the best? Do they make them in personal size?

Saulbadguy
01-05-2005, 12:01 PM
I like Tony's. They are cheap.

HC_Chief
01-05-2005, 12:02 PM
DiGiorno is a'ight

penguinz
01-05-2005, 12:03 PM
Freshetta are really good.

David.
01-05-2005, 12:04 PM
I like Tonys too. It's pretty good and it's like...3 bucks.

Phobia
01-05-2005, 12:05 PM
Digiorno & Freschetta are head & shoulders above the rest.

Somebody makes a deepdish style that absolutely rocks. I think that's Digiorno.

shakesthecat
01-05-2005, 12:08 PM
Freschetta is pretty tastey, especially the chicken.

Bang for the $ though, Totinos Party Pizza is like a sore dick.

ptlyon
01-05-2005, 12:09 PM
Bang for the $ though, Totinos Party Pizza is like a sore dick.

That's what I had last night. Actually both of those.

Bob Dole
01-05-2005, 12:10 PM
Screw the frozen stuff.

Buy a Chef Boyardee kit and build your own. It doesn't take much longer and beats the hell out of the frozen stuff.

Lzen
Digiorno & Freschetta are head & shoulders above the rest.

Somebody makes a deepdish style that absolutely rocks. I think that's Digiorno.

Yup. :thumb:

the Talking Can
actually, the new thin crusts are pretty good...Freschetta (?) combo or Italian pepperoni...

CosmicPal
Frozen pizzas? Blehhhhh, I'd heat the thing up first and then chow down...yummy.

Cochise
01-05-2005, 12:11 PM
You've never eaten frozen pizza?

I like those totinos party pizzas. What do they cost, like $.75? Not too great but the crust is crispy and it's practically as cheap as ramen noodles.

(this has been an excerpt from single guy's guide to cuisine)

RedXtreme
01-05-2005, 12:11 PM
I pefer appin way over the Chef

Kris Kringle
01-05-2005, 12:12 PM
I just had Rosatti's for lunch.

Baby Lee
01-05-2005, 12:15 PM
California Pizza Kitchen pizzas are the shitnit.

Especially the BBQ chicken, or the 5 cheese and fresh tomato.

http://www.cpk.com/grocery/index.cfm

The pizza are large for personal size, but smaller than a family pizza. I'd guess about 10-10 1/2".

tomahawk kid
01-05-2005, 12:16 PM
Ya gotta go with:

1.Red Baron
2. Tombstone

in that order.

If you've never had either one of these I pity you.

htismaqe
01-05-2005, 12:16 PM
actually, the new thin crusts are pretty good...Freschetta (?) combo or Italian pepperoni...

The Freschetta and D'Giornio thin crusts are BY FAR the best frozen pizzas available...

Saulbadguy
01-05-2005, 12:17 PM

The pizza are large for personal size, but smaller than a family pizza. I'd guess about 10-10 1/2".
:Lin:

Saulbadguy
01-05-2005, 12:18 PM
I watch the show "Unwrapped" on the food network sometimes, and they did a story on the California Pizza Kitchen.

I don't even like chicken on my pizza. They put some non-pizza like ingredients on their pizza.

Baby Lee
01-05-2005, 12:18 PM
The Freschetta and D'Giornio thin crusts are BY FAR the best frozen pizzas available...
Have you tried the CPK pizzas?

shakesthecat
01-05-2005, 12:19 PM

Forgot about those.

You are correct. :thumb:

Saulbadguy
01-05-2005, 12:20 PM
...and eating any kind of thin crust pizza makes me feel like im eating cardboard with toppings on it.

Bearcat
01-05-2005, 12:21 PM

I've been to the one on the Plaza..... it was very good..... didn't know they had them in stores though :hmmm:

Fire Me Boy!
If it's gotta be frozen, I want Totinos -- cheap and good.

Baby Lee
:Lin:
Really and truly, I prefer CFK's frozen BBQ chicken pizza to half the commercial delivery or dine-in stuff out there. Outside of my KC Strips, it's the most delicious thing to ever come out of my freezer.

Phobia
01-05-2005, 12:27 PM
Best Bang for Buck is Costco. You can buy a supreme pizza and have them cook it for $8. This is a HUGE, huge pizza. Bigger than anything dominos will bring to your door.

Phobia
01-05-2005, 12:29 PM

I like CPK a lot, but that isn't pizza. At least, that's how I've convinced myself to enjoy their products. If you don't go in thinking pizza, and keep an open mind there's a very good chance the average person will really enjoy CPK.

htismaqe
01-05-2005, 12:31 PM
Have you tried the CPK pizzas?

No, not sure I can get them here in the sticks...

shakesthecat
01-05-2005, 12:33 PM
No, not sure I can get them here in the sticks...

Dahl's has them.

Or at least they used to.

seclark
01-05-2005, 12:34 PM
no, they're not any good.
bob dole's right...buy a box kit and make your own. add some cheese and your own toppings.
expand your lives a little for crying out loud...
sec

htismaqe
01-05-2005, 12:35 PM
Dahl's has them.

Or at least they used to.

I may have to pick one up on the way home then...

Baby Lee
01-05-2005, 12:37 PM
Not available outside St. Louis [that I know of], Mama Lucia's is a darn good thin crust/provel offering.

http://luciaspizza.com/

tyton75
01-05-2005, 12:38 PM
I stick with Totinos and Tombstones myself.. always with extra cheese that I put on myself..

I also like to buy the crust and build my own from time to time... Little Caesars for 5 bucks is probably my fav though.. :)

shakesthecat
01-05-2005, 12:44 PM
Any of you do-it-yourselfer's ever try Boboli ready made crusts?

They have a couple different varities, and aren't near as much work and mess of a CBAD kit.

Phobia
01-05-2005, 12:47 PM

They have a couple different varities, and aren't near as much work and mess of a CBAD kit.

Boboli kicks ass. But, by the time you buy all their shit and the ingredients you want, you could have had a Freschetta already prepared. Tastes about the same, too.

Wile_E_Coyote
01-05-2005, 02:28 PM

Boboli crust, can of bean less chili, bag of taco cheese blend, lettuce, salsa=taco pizza, I love taco pizza

Skip Towne
01-05-2005, 03:27 PM
I goes to the store and find a wide variety of brands and prices. The DiGiorno and Freshetta were $7 and $8. That's getting awfully close to Pizza Hut prices it seems. Some of the others were $3-5. I guess I'll just have to try them for myself.

Phobia
01-05-2005, 03:36 PM
I goes to the store and find a wide variety of brands and prices. The DiGiorno and Freshetta were $7 and $8. That's getting awfully close to Pizza Hut prices it seems. Some of the others were $3-5. I guess I'll just have to try them for myself.

Use a damn coupon. The difference is overwhelming.

Saulbadguy
01-05-2005, 03:38 PM
Yeah. I prefer Freschetta, but they are both too expensive. Coupons and specials help though.

Tonys sometimes go for 2 bucks a pop, and they aren't bad IMO. Not as good as Freschetta, but not as big, and not as expensive.

stumppy
01-05-2005, 03:39 PM

The digiorno's and freshetta's are pretty good. If you have a dillon's or kroger nearby their house brand "kroger" is just as good as digiorno and alot cheaper.:thumb:

morphius
01-05-2005, 03:39 PM
Screw the frozen stuff.

Buy a Chef Boyardee kit and build your own. It doesn't take much longer and beats the hell out of the frozen stuff.
Damn if the wife wasn't feeling like crap I would make her get her butt out a bed and bake me a (pizza) pie right now.

Mmm, good homemade pizza.

Phobia
01-05-2005, 03:40 PM
Damn if the wife wasn't feeling like crap I would make her get her butt out a bed and bake me a (pizza) pie right now.

Mmm, good homemade pizza.

That's what I'm doing.

Sure-Oz
01-05-2005, 03:41 PM
I like totino's, red baron, freschetta, and tony's. I love those pizza roll too, lived off those down at school!

morphius
01-05-2005, 03:42 PM
Use a damn coupon. The difference is overwhelming.
I miss Godfathers in Omaha, 4.99 for a large 1 topping pizza on Monday night. Damn that was a deal.

Spicy McHaggis
01-05-2005, 03:43 PM
Not a frozen pizza but has anyone had the Barbeque Chicken and Bacon pizza from Papa John's. I got one last night and it was awesome.

Skip Towne
01-05-2005, 03:55 PM
I miss Godfathers in Omaha, 4.99 for a large 1 topping pizza on Monday night. Damn that was a deal.
I've never figured out why they limit you to one topping. Rather than having to cover the entire pizza with something expensive like mushrooms wouldn't it be better for them to cover half of it with something cheaper like hamburger?

Iowanian
01-05-2005, 04:00 PM
I'm gonna get blasted.......but I like the Totinos 10 for $10 pizzas.....bridewanian hates them, so I haven't much say since I don't do the shopping.

Tony's is pretty good, but I like the HyVee brand just as well.

Not that particular of a pallete I guess.

morphius
01-05-2005, 04:07 PM
I've never figured out why they limit you to one topping. Rather than having to cover the entire pizza with something expensive like mushrooms wouldn't it be better for them to cover half of it with something cheaper like hamburger?
Well, I never asked for another topping, but I wondered what they would charge. I'm happy if I just get pepporoni, though I would prefer a little sausage and mushrooms as well.

CosmicPal
01-05-2005, 04:22 PM
That frozen stuff is lame. However, for a buck, those Totino's aren't so bad.

I love baking my own pizza and hope to have my own pizzaria someday. When you do a pie at home, jack that oven up to 500 or the highest setting you can go. Your pizza crust is 90% of that pizza, if you don't make a good crust- your pizza is shot.

If you don't want to make your own crust, then try this: Get a french loaf from the bakery. Slice the puppy in half, and then halve the bread so you now have four sliced pieces of French loaf. Lather some homemade pizza sauce on and then throw whatever you like on there and bake that...it's yummy, cheap, and so much better than that frozen sh*t.

If you give me a rep, I might be kind enough to send you some of my homemade recipes.

Happy eating...

morphius
01-05-2005, 04:35 PM
That frozen stuff is lame. However, for a buck, those Totino's aren't so bad.

I love baking my own pizza and hope to have my own pizzaria someday. When you do a pie at home, jack that oven up to 500 or the highest setting you can go. Your pizza crust is 90% of that pizza, if you don't make a good crust- your pizza is shot.

If you don't want to make your own crust, then try this: Get a french loaf from the bakery. Slice the puppy in half, and then halve the bread so you now have four sliced pieces of French loaf. Lather some homemade pizza sauce on and then throw whatever you like on there and bake that...it's yummy, cheap, and so much better than that frozen sh*t.

If you give me a rep, I might be kind enough to send you some of my homemade recipes.

Happy eating...
My Mom used to do something similar with white bread, she would cut off the crusts, ball up the white bread, flatten it out put some toppings on it with the sauce, fold it over and cook.

If I could stand cooking at all I would learn exatly what she did.

Rain Man
01-05-2005, 05:26 PM

It's labor costs. They've got Indonesians putting mushrooms on at a rate of 10,000 pizzas per hour. Stopping that would cost a fortune.

Rain Man
01-05-2005, 05:28 PM
Tony's pizza has the highest goodness-to-dollar ratio.

ChiefsFire
01-05-2005, 07:04 PM
totinos

they have those tiny lil square pepperoni nuggets

mmmmmmmmmmhmm

yum yum

and cheap

Pitt Gorilla
01-05-2005, 07:30 PM
Red Baron is my personal favorite. Tombstone pizzas aren't too far behind.

Cntrygal
01-05-2005, 07:38 PM
Are frozen pizzas any good?

In 4 pages of responses, I'm sure someone must have told you to at least put the pizza in the microwave.

OldTownChief
01-05-2005, 07:42 PM
Order a Papa Johns It'll be frozen by the time it gets to your door.

Skip Towne
01-05-2005, 07:43 PM
It's labor costs. They've got Indonesians putting mushrooms on at a rate of 10,000 pizzas per hour. Stopping that would cost a fortune.
Well, the brick and mortar shops do the same thing. So that ain't the only reason.

Nightfyre
01-05-2005, 07:44 PM
Have you all missed the fuggin point? YOU'VE SERIOUSLY NEVER EATEN FROZEN PIZZA?

Skip Towne
01-05-2005, 07:46 PM
In 4 pages of responses, I'm sure someone must have told you to at least put the pizza in the microwave.
I'm glad you said something, I was going to pan fry it.

R&GHomer
01-05-2005, 07:47 PM

I would have to agree. I tried a Freschetta thin crust "brick oven" or something like that the other day and It was by far the best frozen pizza I've ever had.

warpaint99
01-05-2005, 07:59 PM
I make fresh pizza on a pizza stone.

I use Italian recipes. Thats right, I make the dough.

You guys should learn how to make fresh. It's fun too.

Count Alex's Losses
01-05-2005, 08:00 PM
I make fresh pizza on a pizza stone.

I use Italian recipes. Thats right, I make the dough.

You guys should learn how to make fresh. It's fun too.

Should pizza be government regulated?

warpaint99
01-05-2005, 08:04 PM
yes.